HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Hockey Fights
Hockey Fights Discuss and rate hockey fights and fighters of today and from the past. Videos welcome!

Development Fights

Old
08-04-2010, 07:51 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stu the grim reaper View Post
can you really 'develop' a culture of fighting without completely delegitimizing it?
That's a good question.

People who want to keep fighting in the game generally agree that its legitimate purpose is self-protection, especially to balance out a cheapshot in a way that the on-ice officials are incapable of doing on their own. Basically it boils down to deterrence and retribution, similar to the capital punishment debate.

It's also generally accepted that such fights are spontaneous or semi-spontaneous in nature... not staged, and not done for reasons of self-promotion.

When a team starts to develop a fighting culture, like the Flyers did in the '70s, it's a legit question whether that's a legitimate part of the sport of hockey. You had guys like Bobby Clarke running around knocking your best player's teeth out on purpose, and then if he had enough strength fight about it Dave Schultz would step in and pummel him all over again. Is that really part of the sport? Good question, I'm leaning toward "no" but willing to hear out an argument. At least it was a game-related strategy.

But I feel pretty certain that having goons stage fights during a conditioning camp is NOT hockey. Nothing about it remotely relates to winning a game, settling a score or protecting your players. It's just indefensible for coaches to sit back during a conditioning camp and watch a bunch of teenagers wailing on each other because they think they might get paid at the end, and not have anything to say about it.

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 09:56 AM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
What I am talking about is staged fighting. There's something seriously wrong with a player approaching tryouts with the mentality that he's going to go fight someone to impress the coaches. This is what people mean when they compare the NHL to the WWF, and for once I can't argue against them because this is obviously not a natural part of the sport.
Greenop certainly wasn't invited to training camp for his hockey skills.

DisgruntledHawkFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 10:12 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
Greenop certainly wasn't invited to training camp for his hockey skills.
Training camp is a month away.

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2010, 11:06 AM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
I was talking a couple of years ago, when he was Blackhawk property.

DisgruntledHawkFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 09:43 AM
FytinSioux
Blackhawksssssss

I love this story.

http://wchablog.blogspot.com/2007/09...nges-bina.html

FytinSioux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 02:16 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by FytinSioux View Post

Great article and thanks for posting, some of these meatheads here will still ***** and moan though because the story involves a development camp fight. They wont be happy until the NHL eliminates fighting and adopts women's hockey rules. the league will have to build bigger rinks then I guess because the tree huggers will flock to the rinks in droves.

c-carp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 04:08 PM
newfy

Wait for the Prospect tourney in Traverse City and the other few that go on in the NHL. This is when the prospects really show whose tough and are always willing to fight. I wish they would broadcast traverse city again

newfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 05:17 PM
RobertKron

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-carp View Post
Great article and thanks for posting, some of these meatheads here will still ***** and moan though because the story involves a development camp fight. They wont be happy until the NHL eliminates fighting and adopts women's hockey rules. the league will have to build bigger rinks then I guess because the tree huggers will flock to the rinks in droves.
What are you even talking about?

RobertKron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 02:17 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW View Post
What are you even talking about?
Go up to fytinsioux post and click on the link. there is a great article about a fight in a devolopment camp that the Edmonton Oilers had. The rest of that post was just directed at the anti fightng element that exists here in great numbers.

Old
08-12-2010, 02:18 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfy View Post
Wait for the Prospect tourney in Traverse City and the other few that go on in the NHL. This is when the prospects really show whose tough and are always willing to fight. I wish they would broadcast traverse city again
I wish the would televise that tourney again as well. Although there would probably be 300 post threads about how those fights were meaningless and just wasted everyones time at that tourney.