HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gordie Clark Dodges Bullets? Tarasenko Extending KHL Contract?

Old
08-12-2010, 02:01 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orr Nightmare View Post
Boom Boom, you still holding a grudge...now, now...let's be friends.

I am sorry Ray Whitney, Marc Recchi and Teemu Selanne are on other teams...maybe we can talk Brind'Amour to come out of retirement...would that satisfy your desire for older men?

I understand the hate. Really, we get it.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 02:23 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orr Nightmare View Post
Good thing you are not the GM or scout...
do you not understand the "at that spot" aspect of it? maybe at ~15 i would take McIlrath.

But NOT with Gormley, Fowler, Forbort, Tarasenko, and Watson on the board.

I would have been happier with any of those guys. at 10, Mcilrath seems like more of a reach than any of those guys. Gormley or Fowler would have been my pick depending on what my scouts say.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 02:40 PM
Edge
Kris King's Ghost

I freely admit that Tarasenko would've been my pick. I had him rated as the third best talent in this draft.

Having said that, I've come to terms with our pick. I still think it's a bit of a reach, and I'm not sure McIlrath ever quite hits the level that some of the more optimistic posters believe, but I'm alright with it.

Having said that, McIlrath is always going to be judged against Fowler and Gormley. There's just no way around it.

It doesn't matter how tough or big McIlrath is, if Fowler and Gormley become significantly better NHL players, it's always going to be a topic.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 03:03 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Come on now. I've been to every single one you mentioned and the only one that comes even remotely close is Chicago. No one actually lives in the District outside of Georgetown other than crackheads. Dallas/Ft. Worth? Are you kidding me? The only major metropolises (that I've been to) that really compare to NYC are London and Tokyo - maybe Paris. Nothing else has the energy and the diversity and the culture and the sheer volume of people and places and things to do.

It's clear from your comments that you're not a big city person. (Which is okay, by the way!) But when you make statements like the above, with little hints like "it's not overpopulated and it's clean" and "Columbus and Nashville are the perfect size" you peg yourself pretty clearly as a suburban guy. To the extent some athletes are also suburban guys, your point of view may be applicable. It is absolutely true that not everyone loves the lifestyle - including some athletes.

But to anyone who likes to actually live in and experience cities, and not just drive in and out for events, NYC is like no other. (Especially if you're young and rich and famous.) This has been confirmed by hundreds of athletes who've made some variation on the quote "there's nothing like winning in New York." And many athletes, who in general tend to have "type A" peronalities that push them to be the best at whatever they do, seem to like the limelight and the lifestyle that only NYC can provide - I mean, can you imagine Hank or Mess (never mind Avery!), just to mention a couple of Rangers all-time favorites, living (not just playing, but living) anywhere else?

So yes, NYC does have an allure to a lot of players. Not all, but a lot.

(And that's before we even get into the comfort factor that NYC's many expat communities provide to foreign-born players.)
I was more or less saying every city has certain things that appeal to certain people. If you spend the time in any of the cities I mentioned you learn the in's and out's, your favorite restaurants, spots to go, etc. And every one of those spots has them.

Even if NYC was the best city in the world, and I'm sure it's up there, is it really THAT MUCH better that players are going to say "you know what, I wanna live here and that's why I'm gonna choose the Rangers"? It can factor in, but again, I don't think it factors in nearly as much as money, history of success, how things are looking for the immediate and long term future, facilities, coaching staff, etc.

And if a player does come here because he wants to live in the city most of all, he's probably coming here for the wrong reasons and I probably don't want him on my team.

I wonder how many of the Rangers actually even live in the city. You mentioned Hank and Avery, well those two, Gaborik and Staal are the only ones I ever hear about hanging around the city. I know a handful of guys at least live in connecticut, and I'm sure a fair share live in Westchester and perhaps even Long Island was well.

And like I said, if a guy was that hellbent on playing in NYC, I would guess his first choice would probably be playing in Newark and commuting in to work.

And I did not say that Columbus or Nashville were the perfect size for me.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 03:53 PM
Edge
Kris King's Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
I was more or less saying every city has certain things that appeal to certain people. If you spend the time in any of the cities I mentioned you learn the in's and out's, your favorite restaurants, spots to go, etc. And every one of those spots has them.

Even if NYC was the best city in the world, and I'm sure it's up there, is it really THAT MUCH better that players are going to say "you know what, I wanna live here and that's why I'm gonna choose the Rangers"? It can factor in, but again, I don't think it factors in nearly as much as money, history of success, how things are looking for the immediate and long term future, facilities, coaching staff, etc.

And if a player does come here because he wants to live in the city most of all, he's probably coming here for the wrong reasons and I probably don't want him on my team.

I wonder how many of the Rangers actually even live in the city. You mentioned Hank and Avery, well those two, Gaborik and Staal are the only ones I ever hear about hanging around the city. I know a handful of guys at least live in connecticut, and I'm sure a fair share live in Westchester and perhaps even Long Island was well.

And like I said, if a guy was that hellbent on playing in NYC, I would guess his first choice would probably be playing in Newark and commuting in to work.

And I did not say that Columbus or Nashville were the perfect size for me.
I think it changes a bit when we talk about players from another continent. New York (and certain other cities) offer intrigue. Other cities, not so much.

Overall, I'd say you wouldn't have to see a Russian kid on NY. But you might have to put in some extra work for Missouri or Tennessee. Especially when you have comfortable jobs and salaries in their own backyard.

Old
08-13-2010, 12:18 AM
dtrap

Send a message via AIM to dtrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
I think it changes a bit when we talk about players from another continent. New York (and certain other cities) offer intrigue. Other cities, not so much.

Overall, I'd say you wouldn't have to see a Russian kid on NY. But you might have to put in some extra work for Missouri or Tennessee. Especially when you have comfortable jobs and salaries in their own backyard.
This is a pretty good point. To use Canada as an example...and forgetting that I've been to a bunch of Canadien cities....as an American guy I would totally pick Toronto or Montreal without any prior knowledge. London or Kitchener, however, maybe not...

Go to Europe and I'll pick London or Paris no questions asked. Some other smaller, yet great cities...mabe not.

So Edge makes a pretty good point...I still think that the "oh we will get everyone" attitude that some New Yorkers have is short sighted. When you are taking international free agents its one thing...domestic ones...completely different...

dtrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 08:46 AM
Orr Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
do you not understand the "at that spot" aspect of it? maybe at ~15 i would take McIlrath.

But NOT with Gormley, Fowler, Forbort, Tarasenko, and Watson on the board.

I would have been happier with any of those guys. at 10, Mcilrath seems like more of a reach than any of those guys. Gormley or Fowler would have been my pick depending on what my scouts say.
@ 15 Big Mac Attack is gone...Gordie scouted this guy since December...I trust that scout over any of your scouts...sorry.

Orr Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 09:05 AM
Orr Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post

I understand the hate. Really, we get it.
no hate cuz...i wasn't even speaking to you and you chimed in...it's all good...we just have two totally different opinions on what it takes to win hockey games.

Orr Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 07:42 PM
tfriede2

Looks like all of this talk about Tarasenko staying in the KHL and NY making the right decision to pass him up was all for naught:

Here's what the Blues beat writer for the St. Louis PD is saying:

Jeremy Rutherford: I'm told that nothing is official, but it appears that Tarasenko has signed a one-year contract with his KHL team, replacing the two-year deal. So again, nothing is official, but if this has happened, it appears to be good news for Blues fans who hope that Tarasenko will play in North American next year.

So, it looks like Tarasenko will be with the Blues next year if the contract restructuring is completed.

tfriede2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2010, 10:29 AM
Edge
Kris King's Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrap View Post
This is a pretty good point. To use Canada as an example...and forgetting that I've been to a bunch of Canadien cities....as an American guy I would totally pick Toronto or Montreal without any prior knowledge. London or Kitchener, however, maybe not...

Go to Europe and I'll pick London or Paris no questions asked. Some other smaller, yet great cities...mabe not.

So Edge makes a pretty good point...I still think that the "oh we will get everyone" attitude that some New Yorkers have is short sighted. When you are taking international free agents its one thing...domestic ones...completely different...
I agree. And also agree that a big city isn't for everyone. Just like North America, they may come from a smaller city or town in Europe and would feel most comfortable in that setting.

Some people, like myself, can enjoy either. I love New York, but am just happy as on a ranch in a small town. They are very different experiences that offer very different lifestyles.

Old
08-14-2010, 01:33 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrap View Post

I'm pretty sure anyone with half a brain would do a little bit of research into where they're possibly going to be living for at the least 4 years.

When I applied for colleges I didn't decide to just apply to colleges that were in places well known for being cool places to live. And that's a lot less permanent than signing a contract to go play a sport in a foreign country.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote