HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

We have $4,700,000.00 in cap space left

Old
08-12-2010, 03:24 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by husamus156 View Post
without

with picard
$4,128,273
If Picard is included, that's because Markov is out of lineup, if that's the case, then the Habs cap is the same, as Markov on LTIR means 5,75 mil of space that one single player can take and it doesn't affect the cap.

Essentially, it's two spots for either Picard or OB or Subban or Weber, and they all make about the same. So the cap room is still the same as he said.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 03:56 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

$4.7M is accurate for the default roster, still needing Price and the last two TBD skaters to make the team.

Price doesn't deserve anything above $1.5M IMHO, but I won't be surprised if the Habs hand him anything up to $3M.

The rest pretty much leaves room for whoever wins the camp battles, Pacioretty/White/Picard/whoever. And maybe a bit for a cushion. In the peanut gallery we like to be reckless and spend every penny of the cap space. I can see how a smart manager wants to always leave $1M in contingency however. You don't *really* want to end up doing what teams like San Jose and Calgary were doing last year.

I'll be surprised if the Habs do any more shopping at all. I would have, my gut says the Habs won't.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 04:20 PM
shutehinside

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
1) He is not going to make more than Niemi and does not deserve to.
2) The $2,200,000.00 cap hit from 2009/2010 is including his bonus for being drafted 5th overall, it's a bonus including the ELC salary maximum.
Did Niemi sign with anyone yet?

shutehinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 04:32 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by optimus2861 View Post
Fire Gauthier on the spot if that's the case. Absolute max Price should get, short or long term, is $2.5 million. The Hawks just walked away from a $2.75 million tag on Niemi and he won a Stanley Cup! On no planet in this solar system is Price worth more than that.
Niemi had 1 year of experience in the NHL and he did not win the cup. He wasn't that great, he won the cup because of the team, they didnt win cuz of him, big difference.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 04:34 PM
JohnnyB11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Dare I say it??

Kov...
Yes, Kovalenko might be a nice fit on the bottom 6, but he IS 40 years old and hasn't played in a couple of years. Good thinking though!

JohnnyB11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 04:34 PM
Kensai Akatsume Ryu

Send a message via MSN to Kensai Akatsume Ryu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
$4.7M is accurate for the default roster, still needing Price and the last two TBD skaters to make the team.

Price doesn't deserve anything above $1.5M IMHO, but I won't be surprised if the Habs hand him anything up to $3M.

The rest pretty much leaves room for whoever wins the camp battles, Pacioretty/White/Picard/whoever. And maybe a bit for a cushion. In the peanut gallery we like to be reckless and spend every penny of the cap space. I can see how a smart manager wants to always leave $1M in contingency however. You don't *really* want to end up doing what teams like San Jose and Calgary were doing last year.

I'll be surprised if the Habs do any more shopping at all. I would have, my gut says the Habs won't.
Considering Hedberg, Halak, Niemi contracts, I cannot see how Price is not worth AT LEAST 2.5m. With Halak's salary, he has good reasons to be considered worth at least 3m (considering last season lowered his value), on the market that is.

Kensai Akatsume Ryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 04:53 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensai Akatsume Ryu View Post
Considering Hedberg, Halak, Niemi contracts, I cannot see how Price is not worth AT LEAST 2.5m. With Halak's salary, he has good reasons to be considered worth at least 3m (considering last season lowered his value), on the market that is.
I think you mean Lehtonen, not Hedberg. But then there are Rask, Pavelec, and all the recent UFA deals (which wouldn't be comparables in an arbitration case, but which *ARE* demonstrative of the current market value of middle-class goaltenders in general).

You can go at it a variety of ways. Which is presumably is precisely why we don't have Price signed at the present moment. It's subjective, there is nothing to say that he's absolutely worth $x or $y. I say $1.5M is my top offer to him. I expect the Habs to come in with a higher number than that. If $2.5M is your number, nobody can gainsay you on your choice at this point. The market is wide open these days, it seems.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 05:02 PM
FF de Mars

What about Owen Nolan ?

FF de Mars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 05:12 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Dare I say it??

Kov...
I would pass on Kovy but if Hossa ever becomes a UFA I hope we go after him, just a personal preference.

Frozenice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 07:11 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
I think you mean Lehtonen, not Hedberg. But then there are Rask, Pavelec, and all the recent UFA deals (which wouldn't be comparables in an arbitration case, but which *ARE* demonstrative of the current market value of middle-class goaltenders in general).

You can go at it a variety of ways. Which is presumably is precisely why we don't have Price signed at the present moment. It's subjective, there is nothing to say that he's absolutely worth $x or $y. I say $1.5M is my top offer to him. I expect the Habs to come in with a higher number than that. If $2.5M is your number, nobody can gainsay you on your choice at this point. The market is wide open these days, it seems.
Considering Rask was given the extension in November 2009 where he hadn't proven his excellent yet and Pavelec was given the contract after 1 year of true NHL duty where he split(he had 42 games played and an average save %) I think they will be below market value for them next year. Rask will be underpayed and Pavelec hasn't shone like rask but may do so next year. Price? He has 3 years of NHL experience, unlike them. Lehtonen makes a nice 3.5 mil, so does Halak(3.75 actually). I think Price should be somewhere in the middle. The 2.5 range would be ideal(5 mil over 2 years or 8 mil over 3 would be perfect). I can live with 2.5-3 mil, anything more is obviously too much IMO.

Old
08-12-2010, 07:25 PM
Forsead

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF de Mars View Post
What about Owen Nolan ?
Great choice I would love to see Nolan with the habs I want to see that since 3-4 years, now he can be in a third line role !

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 07:54 PM
AntonCH

assuming Price signs for around 2.5 - 2.7
that leaves you with enough space to possibly pick up a 4.5 or so million dollar player at the deadline

AntonCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 08:45 PM
Kensai Akatsume Ryu

Send a message via MSN to Kensai Akatsume Ryu
Quote:

Haha. Absolutely. Funny thing is that I thought to myself to not do the mistake on the forum (as I had done it mentally before writing these lines). As you pointed it out, the market is effectively hard to determine with specificity. There are "no way" deals on both side of the spectrum (Huets of this world vs. Turcos of this world) which are making it hard to determine real value of middle-tier goaltenders. Price could be worth as much as 3.75 like Halak, or even 1.5 as you pointed it out. And as you pointed it out, it is probably one of the main reasons why these negociations are taking so long. I expect him to earn something around 2.5, and that would seem fair to me. I expect him to play at least as a 3.5-4 worth goaltender, so would I be PG, I'd feel quite safe paying him these amounts. Regardless, it seems the issue at hand would be more related to FA upcoming status/years of contract.

Kensai Akatsume Ryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 08:49 PM
ruski17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB11 View Post
Yes, Kovalenko might be a nice fit on the bottom 6, but he IS 40 years old and hasn't played in a couple of years. Good thinking though!

Was going to post the exact same thing!!

ruski17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 09:04 AM
optimus2861

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Aren't you even a bit curious as to why Niemi still isn't signed, if his whole 2.75 mill contract was so great ?
Not in the least. Niemi's an average goaltender at best who had a decent playoff run. He's in no way worth the $2.75 million and I'd have done exactly what the Blackhawks did.

Doesn't change my view on Price either. $2.5 million, absolute max. Price certainly hasn't earned any more than that given his dismal playoff record and getting played out of the #1 role last season.

optimus2861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 09:08 AM
ClasslessGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonCH View Post
assuming Price signs for around 2.5 - 2.7
that leaves you with enough space to possibly pick up a 4.5 or so million dollar player at the deadline
are you strong in math?

ClasslessGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 09:23 AM
GoodKiwi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp10 View Post
are you strong in math?
He is. Are you?

GoodKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 09:29 AM
ChuckyToGally
Former Carey Roy

Quote:
are you strong in math?
You are missing something there...

ChuckyToGally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 10:10 AM
ClasslessGuy

I'm pretty normal to be honest

Old
08-13-2010, 10:29 AM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
I'm pretty normal to be honest
If you pick up a player at the trade deadline you only pay the remainder of his salary which is by the number of days remaining in the season divided by the length of the season (186 days) times the players salary. Depending on when you get the player it will be a half to a third of his annual salary.

Old
08-13-2010, 11:04 AM
llamateizer

Quote:
are you strong in math?
yes he is
because
at the tradeline
a players costs about +/- 20% of his cap hit
40 days on 193 = 20.70%

20.70% of 4.5 millions = .950 million

are you strong in math?

llamateizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 11:06 AM
Thorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
I would pass on Kovy but if Hossa ever becomes a UFA I hope we go after him, just a personal preference.

When he is 42 or whenever it is his contract ends?

Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 11:24 AM
ClasslessGuy

Alright i should've think next time

Old
08-13-2010, 12:31 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
When he is 42 or whenever it is his contract ends?
Not if he is 42. Both Loungo and Hossa contracts are being reviewed for possible rejection (ala Kovy) so if Hossa's contract is rejected and he becomes a UFA then I hope we go after him.

Old
08-13-2010, 12:36 PM
LyricalLyricist

I like how a lot of people jumped on the math question lol