HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Getting hit...in a non checking league.

Old
08-10-2010, 04:35 PM
Thepandamancan

vCash: 500
Getting hit...in a non checking league.

So I play roller hockey and it's a non checking league. However, since we're all basically beginners, we're very clumsy. Being one of the smaller guys, I take a lot of abuse and have gotten absolutely rocked one too many times.

While I'm enjoying the hockey mentality of getting hit, quickly getting up, and back into the play...getting up in the mornings after a game are anything but quick. They're as slow and painful as they come.

Would getting a really good set of shoulder pads help or is the pain just gonna be part of the game? I currently wear a chest protector with some single density foams in it and it does a good job at protecting me from pucks, but not so much from a big hit.

What should I look for in shoulder pads for my situation? I'm contemplating on getting the Reebok 4k or the Bauer Supreme One 55/75.

Thepandamancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 06:18 PM
Ragss

Can't say first hand, but apparently these farrell's are the best for guys who need the extra protection.

Ragss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 07:25 PM
Jimmy Carter
Avs/Leafs fan

Not sure any padded shirt I've seen will protect you from a hit, and shoulder pads might look funny in roller hockey (unless there are guys in your league that do that)... I'm surprised you get hit so often, I've only been playing organized roller for a year now and have only been laid out (aka accidental collision with one of the few guys in the league bigger then me ) a handful of times. In fact, I've only collided maybe 6 times in 20-25 games 44 minutes each.

Not knowing much about you or your league at all, I'm not sure if the guys you play with are just really bad at "evasive maneuvers", they just don't try due to your small size, or what, but I'd say that'd be something to work on in your free time. Not sure how you can practice specifically getting out of the way, but just working on sharp, quick turns to the point you can do them without thinking about it would help you avoid the hits.

Also, putting on a little bit of weight might not hurt if you're body type is on the scrawny side (no offense, didn't know how else to describe that body type), as in you don't have much in the way of fat on your body, but no really built up muscles either. I have a dude on my team that has little muscle or fat, and he seems like he gets injured more then the guys who have more muscle or fat. I've got a good amount of both muscle and fat (too much of the latter, in fact ) and I can't remember ever being injured by body contact even in pickup roller or ice hockey. If nothing else, a few extra pounds might keep you on your feet in a collision.

Edit: I'm also wondering how strong you are on your skates? No offense if you are, just wondering if that might be part of it too

Jimmy Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 08:21 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
I've been playing for 16 years and just took the hardest hit of my career last week. Bruises on my hips and back, had a stiff neck, my left elbow and knee hurt. It took me a few days to get loose again but it got better. I wear shoulder pads but when you take a big hit you take a big hit, sometimes pads won't help. The pain goes away when I realize I'm going to play the guy who lined me up again, I can do more damage than some bruises if I'm trying to take somebody out.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 09:51 PM
Briere Up There*

If I get hit, I usually let it go unless it was something outrageous. If it becomes an ongoing problem, I usually retaliate with some hits of my own.

As for protection, I can't stand the feel of shoulder pads. I have no idea how I wore them for so long.

Briere Up There* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 10:02 PM
Seanconn*
mission accomplished

im a pretty small guy, only 5"8 145 pounds soaking wet. I have especially muscly legs from years and years of skating hockey and bike riding, but my upper body is pretty slender.

If I was getting hit all the time in a non contact league, especially if some of these hits could be technically an interference call in full contact-hockey, I'd start to get REALLY pissed. not what you signed up for, right?

most of the time, I can keep the puck close or get a pass away before running into the defender, but rarely do i have to worry about any sort of unreasonable contact for a non contact league... but playing Adult Safe you really ever don't need to worry about getting rocked... and refs are usually good at keeping the non-contact part of the league enforced.. sure hockey's more involved then being able to play the whole game with your head down... but there should ZERO tolerance for possible injuries when you are playing in mildly competitive leagues. if one team is full of guys stick handling with their head down there's tons of ways to deal with that other than physical contact.

if I was playing in this roller hockey league, and im getting constantly hit by the other team throughout a game, when i shouldn't be hit since it's a non contact league, I would firstly skate faster, and have literally zero regard for the defensive players. fly right into em and use your body, get them right out of your way if they are going to be hitting in a non contact league.. you see a guy lining you up... dump and chase... pass the puck off, and if you think you can counteract an upcoming hit either be evading it, or hitting the guy on his own ass.. not the most mature way to handle it, and a bit hypocritical, but if the other team is getting out of hand with the contact, you can always try and put them in their place, if your own team doesn't have players who can just turn it up a notch, and evade their efforts to bring you down to their goonish tactics.

I'm not the biggest hitter by any means, but I can become a bit of a projectile missile if I really want to, unless the other guy is a bit of a wall. but most of the time, I'll make the pass, or try and deke around em'

but like I said.. with ASHL ice hockey, there is very little tolerance for contact-- I have no interest in playing contact hockey... i play hockey to skate my ass off, create good offense through good passing and getting in front of the play. not be worried about keeping my head up the whole game... goons had their time to shine from pee-wee to junior-- I just want to score some goals and have fun.

if your playing roller hockey, with not even full equipment... maybe look for a different league if people are still taking the physicality too far.

Last edited by Seanconn*: 08-10-2010 at 10:12 PM.
Seanconn* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 12:45 AM
Jimmy Carter
Avs/Leafs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanconn View Post
im a pretty small guy, only 5"8 145 pounds soaking wet. I have especially muscly legs from years and years of skating hockey and bike riding, but my upper body is pretty slender.

If I was getting hit all the time in a non contact league, especially if some of these hits could be technically an interference call in full contact-hockey, I'd start to get REALLY pissed. not what you signed up for, right?

most of the time, I can keep the puck close or get a pass away before running into the defender, but rarely do i have to worry about any sort of unreasonable contact for a non contact league... but playing Adult Safe you really ever don't need to worry about getting rocked... and refs are usually good at keeping the non-contact part of the league enforced.. sure hockey's more involved then being able to play the whole game with your head down... but there should ZERO tolerance for possible injuries when you are playing in mildly competitive leagues. if one team is full of guys stick handling with their head down there's tons of ways to deal with that other than physical contact.

if I was playing in this roller hockey league, and im getting constantly hit by the other team throughout a game, when i shouldn't be hit since it's a non contact league, I would firstly skate faster, and have literally zero regard for the defensive players. fly right into em and use your body, get them right out of your way if they are going to be hitting in a non contact league.. you see a guy lining you up... dump and chase... pass the puck off, and if you think you can counteract an upcoming hit either be evading it, or hitting the guy on his own ass.. not the most mature way to handle it, and a bit hypocritical, but if the other team is getting out of hand with the contact, you can always try and put them in their place, if your own team doesn't have players who can just turn it up a notch, and evade their efforts to bring you down to their goonish tactics.

I'm not the biggest hitter by any means, but I can become a bit of a projectile missile if I really want to, unless the other guy is a bit of a wall. but most of the time, I'll make the pass, or try and deke around em'

but like I said.. with ASHL ice hockey, there is very little tolerance for contact-- I have no interest in playing contact hockey... i play hockey to skate my ass off, create good offense through good passing and getting in front of the play. not be worried about keeping my head up the whole game... goons had their time to shine from pee-wee to junior-- I just want to score some goals and have fun.

if your playing roller hockey, with not even full equipment... maybe look for a different league if people are still taking the physicality too far.

OP said it's mostly incidental stuff due to most players being beginners. I don't know about where you play, but they don't call penalties on incidental run ins in my league, which is also a no hitting league. It sounds like you take it kind of personally (if you don't and I misunderstood, my bad), but I guarantee that most of the time the other guy was just trying to play their heart out like you do. Unless you're playing a bunch of jerks, most guys will give you some kind of apology or make sure you're alright before skating away with they play. That's good enough for me at least.

It's hockey, people are gonna bump into eachother, especially when fighting hard for a puck. I've put guys down hard because they tried to deke me out, I mirrored their movements and had a good chance at the puck and went for it. They run into me and fall on their ass pretty hard cause of it. I'll say sorry and ask if they're alright and 90% of the time they say "no big deal" or "it's hockey" and we keep playing just as hard. Had it go the other way where I get knocked down hard on a good clean play and after play has stopped I'll give the guy a pat on the back for a nice play.

Occasionally someone gets all pissed off, but either they a) don't realize incidental contact is going to happen no matter what or b) are just frustrated with their own play and take it out on the guy that accidentally knocked them on their ass. My league is pretty competitive so most of the time it's the latter.

Old
08-11-2010, 12:57 AM
pass the bisk

The most likely reason is because you guys are all beginners. Nobody is very aware and they can not manuever very fast

pass the bisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 02:03 AM
doobie604

i think your current stuff is fine, spend time on practicing keeping your head with the puck up and lots of skating will eliminate incidental contacts. it gets way too hot wearing ice gear for roller.

doobie604 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 02:39 AM
1Knee1T
OHH MAMMA DONT U CRY

In my C level roller league tonight we played against a team that had some A level guys playing with their C level friends. I'm a B leaguer so I'm pretty solid in the league, but the rest of my team is strictly C or lower, bar 2 other skaters and our goalie. We were tied 4-4 with about 12 minutes left, I chipped the puck off the right boards near the blue line and into their zone to get buy their rushing winger, retrieved the puck, and then got crosschecked in the back of the head out of frustration by the winger, who of course plays A level. I hit my head on the floor pretty hard and I decided to sit the rest of the game because they started pulling away.

Stuff like that pisses me off. Our best player wasn't there, so it was about 4 A leaguers and 5 C leaguers with a (bad) A level goalie vs our team, an A and B skater with a B goalie, and 7 other C skaters. They started getting mad and I paid the price while all he got was 2 minutes in the box. The fact that the game ended with us losing 10-4 due to them walking around our C guys was the icing on the cake.

1Knee1T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 03:17 AM
izzy3

Quote:
Originally Posted by doobie604 View Post
i think your current stuff is fine, spend time on practicing keeping your head with the puck up and lots of skating will eliminate incidental contacts. it gets way too hot wearing ice gear for roller.
this. beginner collide much as they're not that agile on skates and don't look. shoulder pads will not help you. a big hit will hurt no matter what you're wearing (well maybe a few airbags might do a good job).

izzy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 03:38 AM
Seanconn*
mission accomplished

but he's talking about roller hockey, not ice hockey. I'd rather fall on ice than cement any day. let alone roller blades vs. skates.

some people take the it's just hockey thing to far, especially playing A leagues. your leagues are pretty bush league if people are getting rocked and it's okay because it's "by accident". learn the rules through penalties

now, falling down with some contact going for the puck against the guy on the other team fine. but if it's non hitting and guys are getting rocked to the point where they have a hard time waking up the next day, you really gotta think what penalty killing will do to make the overly physical team smarten up.

the example of an Div 1 team beating Div 3 sounds pretty ridiculous, i wouldn't put up with getting crosschecked to the back of the head, and nothing being done about that in a non contact league.

I'd really start ****ing with them if a bunch of ******** with nothing better to do then beat down a bunch of recreational hockey players. Not that it doesn't happen in Canada just as much or more then you guys in the states... some people take the game too seriously on all levels of the game.

Seanconn* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 04:56 AM
Thepandamancan

Thanks for the input. To clarify, none of the hits have been malicious or was intended to hurt anyone. Some of it is caused by me not being able to stop properly or just losing my balance and falling down on my shoulder or something. The guys in my league are super nice. Sure some games get heated, but guys always say sorry or ask if you're ok.

I wear a girdle with some hard caps on the hips and tailbone and have never gotten hurt there when falling. However, through even the most common jostling around the crease, etc...having my chest and shoulders around elbow height for most players is not a good place to be so that's why I was hoping some better form of chest protection might help.

Last edited by Thepandamancan: 08-11-2010 at 05:03 AM. Reason: needed to add more
Old
08-11-2010, 05:12 AM
JustinW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepandamancan View Post
So I play roller hockey and it's a non checking league. However, since we're all basically beginners, we're very clumsy. Being one of the smaller guys, I take a lot of abuse and have gotten absolutely rocked one too many times.

While I'm enjoying the hockey mentality of getting hit, quickly getting up, and back into the play...getting up in the mornings after a game are anything but quick. They're as slow and painful as they come.

Would getting a really good set of shoulder pads help or is the pain just gonna be part of the game? I currently wear a chest protector with some single density foams in it and it does a good job at protecting me from pucks, but not so much from a big hit.

What should I look for in shoulder pads for my situation? I'm contemplating on getting the Reebok 4k or the Bauer Supreme One 55/75.
Forget the shoulder pads get some skating/power skating lessons so you can be stronger on your feet. maybe start working out a little at the gym not only will it make you stronger on your skates it will also improve your game. I'm one of the smaller players and when a guy over 6 feet tries to do one of those boarder line body checks I am able to stand them up. It is all really in your legs and the timing of when they are gonna bump you so you don't fall.

JustinW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 08:57 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

It's all about skating ability and leg/core strength. I'm 5'8 175 and if I see someone about to hit me, I get low and put my shoulder into them. 9 times out of 10, even if they've got a size advantage, I can put them down and still be standing.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 09:04 AM
Steelhead16

Not sure shoulder pads will solve your issue. Not sure how you are landing but I would guess that your pain and stiffness is coming from landing on the ground and the jarring your body takes from that and not from straight body contact.

Steelhead16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 10:25 AM
Devil Dancer

I'm tiny (5'7, 140), and I get hit on a fairly regular basis in my C level ice leagues, but I'm usually unharmed. I wear full gear, of course, including CCM 06 shoulder pads.

I've probably absorbed 4 or 5 really crushing hits, but I was fine after all of them, probably thanks to my gear.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 10:26 AM
pnewsom

Take a look back and notice if the incidents seem to occur in similar ways.

I've been playing ice hockey for a couple of seasons now, and been involved in those kind of hits.

Usually it involved myself and another player circling at speed into each other because of a change in the direction of play. One of us was likely not in our proper position.

It wasn't until I worked on changing my play that the incidents started to become less frequent.

Everyone playing their correct position really helps.(something not easily achieved in beginner hockey)

pnewsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 11:20 AM
Thepandamancan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnewsom View Post
Take a look back and notice if the incidents seem to occur in similar ways.

I've been playing ice hockey for a couple of seasons now, and been involved in those kind of hits.

Usually it involved myself and another player circling at speed into each other because of a change in the direction of play. One of us was likely not in our proper position.

It wasn't until I worked on changing my play that the incidents started to become less frequent.

Everyone playing their correct position really helps.(something not easily achieved in beginner hockey)
The last big hit I took was exactly that. He was coming towards me and I was circling back to rejoin the play.

Other times it's just a straight on hit and the guy is barreling towards me. Most of the time, it's just guys bumping into me and I'll either fall and land awkwardly or I keep my balance...but it's still an elbow or body into my chest and back.

Old
08-11-2010, 11:28 AM
goalscorer

As someone already posted. Work on keeping your head up. You won't be able to dodge a check or accidental collision if you never see it coming.

As far as pads go, I wouldn't worry about it. Work on keeping your head up and your ability to get out of the way. Buying more padding isn't going to address the issue. I would also work on your core muscles (abs, lower back and quads). This will significantly help your balance when taking or delivering a check. Lastly, if you see the collision coming and can't get out of the way. Lower your center of gravity (bend your knees) and as the collision occurs spring upwards, like your quickly coming out of squat position and go towards the collision. This will shift your momentum into the oncoming player and he'll take the most of the impact. Now he may get pissed cause technically you just checked him. But that's hockey, roller or not.

goalscorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 11:35 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Also general shape and fitness come into play. A good dynamic stretching routine pre-game will warm and loosen up muscles, and a post-game static stretching can help with lactic acid buildup and ease stiffness the next day.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 12:06 AM
Jimmy Carter
Avs/Leafs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepandamancan View Post
Thanks for the input. To clarify, none of the hits have been malicious or was intended to hurt anyone. Some of it is caused by me not being able to stop properly or just losing my balance and falling down on my shoulder or something. The guys in my league are super nice. Sure some games get heated, but guys always say sorry or ask if you're ok.

I wear a girdle with some hard caps on the hips and tailbone and have never gotten hurt there when falling. However, through even the most common jostling around the crease, etc...having my chest and shoulders around elbow height for most players is not a good place to be so that's why I was hoping some better form of chest protection might help.
I think this is why there is more incidental stuff in roller than ice. Most guys can't really stop on a dime (myself included). In fact, there's only a handful of guys in my roller league that can do a "hockey stop" (I think it's called power slide in roller...idk lol). I've had quite a few times where I skate hard to a puck and collide with someone because I can't stop like I can on ice. Mostly end up bumping guys into the boards, I'm okay enough at skating that on the open court I can turn away and avoid contact.

Your league sounds like mine with contact. It's "non-contact" but unless you go to lay a guy out intentionally or make a motion like it was intentional (aka push out with your arms while hitting him), they let most of it go. Only been called once for hitting and I did hit the dude intentionally, not hard just knocked him off his skates. Went into the corner to battle for the puck and this dude trapped my stick between him and the boards and snapped it in half. It was a Vapor XXXX (and my first high end stick ever), so I chucked it in frustration and skated out in front of the net to play D. Guy dangles in the slot and tries to go around me, and with no stick to defend his deke, I just shoved him to the ground. Just was frustrated that my favorite and greatest stick had snapped. Helped the guy back up, said sorry and we were cool. Woulda been clean in a hitting league, but it isn't so I took my 2 minutes and a guy on the other team let me use his extra 7K (and found out I wasn't a Reebok stick fan) for the rest of the game.

As for getting elbows and such... stuff like that will happen while fighting for position in front of the net, but if it starts to get excessive bring it to the other guy's attention, he might not have realized he had his elbow in you. If he keeps it up (or intentionally does it more to be a dick), then ask the ref to watch for it. I personally clear the net using my hands and pushing the guy out of the way or if he's a tough guy to move I get low and push with my shoulder on his middle back. I try and avoid elbows as much as I can because I myself have taken some nasty ones and I know it's not fun to get a fast moving elbow to the chest, throat, or face. I play physical, but I'm a nice, easygoing guy so I try and push guys around as kindly as I can

Old
08-13-2010, 12:11 AM
Please

I dunno how you even wear the thin chest protector...I just wear a jersey when i play inline and its almost too hot to stand

Please is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 12:13 AM
jax00
DangleSnipe&Celly

It's hockey. Man up. That's what the gear is for.

jax00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 12:51 AM
Thepandamancan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Please View Post
I dunno how you even wear the thin chest protector...I just wear a jersey when i play inline and its almost too hot to stand
I actually wear socks and a shell on top of my girdle instead of pants. Luckily, I play in an outdoor rink and we've been having some very cold summer nights here in Southern California.