HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tortorella's successes so far

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-13-2010, 02:28 AM
  #1
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank
 
KingWantsCup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 5,422
vCash: 350
Tortorella's successes so far

I'd say his biggest success so far has been his ability to whip, or even scare players into shape before the season. (There will be no Albert Haynesworths here! ) Other than that I think just his preference and insistence on seeing youth is a success in and of itself. Also he's very good at calling time outs and organizing a plan at a major point in the game. He's won us a couple games this way. All in all I like Tortorella, and I like how our future looks. I see Torts as the guy who leads us to our next cup, but I wouldn't expect that to happen any time soon. I'm talking like around the 2013'-2014' season, earliest.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 02:36 AM
  #2
HockeyBurd*
 
HockeyBurd*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,579
vCash: 500
He has had zero success so far. Only failure. Hopefully that will change.

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 02:41 AM
  #3
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank
 
KingWantsCup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 5,422
vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBurd View Post
He has had zero success so far. Only failure. Hopefully that will change.
If you want to be pessimistic the only real success is winning a cup, but come on her hasn't done nothing. He's not Isiah Thomas.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 03:04 AM
  #4
Fitzy
All Is Well
 
Fitzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 19,931
vCash: 500
You can't say anything good about a Ranger coach! How dare you!

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 04:59 AM
  #5
Garfinkel1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: CT
Posts: 3,446
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBurd View Post
He has had zero success so far. Only failure. Hopefully that will change.
Cup or nothing huh?

unbelievable.

Put Tort's behind the Blackhawks bench last year and they still win the cup.


Even our Zamboni driver has failed us. The one in Chicago has a ring.

Garfinkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 05:00 AM
  #6
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 12,750
vCash: 500
At the moment I'm not a big fan of his. I guess it could change. If I were to guess he's got to get the team back into the playoffs this year or quite likely he's going to be replaced. Renney was more or less 3 for 3. He's 1 for 2 if you consider his short season. As for future cups down the road I don't know. A lot of things will have to break right for us to become a contender. Players like Kreider, Stepan, Grachev, McDonagh, McIlrath will all have to turn into impact players. At least to me it seems unlikely we're going to buy our way there. As well Dubinsky, Anisimov, Staal and Del Zotto are going to have to get better. That may have more to do with us becoming contenders than whatever a coach does.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 06:53 AM
  #7
Staals Eye
once TortsKindaGuy
 
Staals Eye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 826
vCash: 500
I think Torts needs to step his game up this year. That being said, I do agree that the commitment to the youth is refreshing.

Staals Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 07:28 AM
  #8
BobSantos
 
BobSantos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 538
vCash: 500
Torts is committed to youth. Torts rewards effort.

These are two attributes not seen in a Ranger coach since who knows when. Maybe 20 years?

BobSantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 07:41 AM
  #9
DubiDubiDoo
Registered User
 
DubiDubiDoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Garden City, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,927
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
The only success Tortarella has had as the Rangers coach is making himself look like an ass in the media. You want to give this guy credit for a youth movement???? This guy would like nothing better than to fill his cubbard with guys with "jam", lmao. He's a terrible coach that can only win with a team stacked with talent, and that my friends is not your NY Rangers.
Now granted he has only been here for 100 games, so I do not necessarily blame him for anything wrong with the organization, but Staal, cally, dubi, girardi, were already with the big club, and AA and MDZ were known to be on their way.
Tortarella crushes confidence in young players and its no surprise to me that TB cut him loose when they went into retool mode. If Tom Renney had 2-3 more years to finish retooling this team, and then we brought in Torts i'd be a little more positive, because I do believe Torts is a finisher and can win the cup ala mike keenan, but he is not one to build a franchise and my biggest fear now is that I'm going to be watching a team full of average talent try and run and gun with the big dogs and before we all know it Hank will be 33 and we'll still be cupless looking in a new direction...

DubiDubiDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 07:50 AM
  #10
mike14
Registered User
 
mike14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Melbourne
Country: Australia
Posts: 4,355
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiDubiDoo View Post

Tortarella crushes confidence in young players and its no surprise to me that TB cut him loose when they went into retool mode.
Not going to argue with your opinion but are there any quotes or articles backing up the 'crushes confidence' thing or is it your point of view?

mike14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 08:20 AM
  #11
Shadowtron
Registered User
 
Shadowtron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Earth
Posts: 5,532
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfinkel1 View Post
Cup or nothing huh?

unbelievable.

Put Tort's behind the Blackhawks bench last year and they still win the cup.


Even our Zamboni driver has failed us. The one in Chicago has a ring.
I don't think it's unbelievable at all. There wasn't a whole lot of happiness in last season's outcome. Missed playoffs. Wild inconsistency. Anemic offense. Pourous defense. Unprepared. Poor line matching. Restless line combos. Some of it rests squarely on the coach's shoulders. The only truly unbelieveable thing here is how deep into the barrel one is willing to scrape to find a single scrap of "success" for this team. I mean, the two successes mentioned in the OP was: 1) he's good at scaring people and 2) he knows when to call a timeout. Really? What should we chalk up to success next year if the Rangers miss the PO's again? The knot in his tie? The cut of his hair?

Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 08:34 AM
  #12
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 30,015
vCash: 500
Awards:
What seems to be conveniently ignored is the idea that Torts was supposed to take the Rangers to the next level. Renney had taken them as far as he could. Seems to me Torts has them going backwards.

__________________
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 08:37 AM
  #13
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 30,015
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post
I see Torts as the guy who leads us to our next cup, but I wouldn't expect that to happen any time soon.
If it won't be anytime soon, he won't be the guy who leads the team to the next Cup.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 08:39 AM
  #14
Loffen
Wen Kroy
 
Loffen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Soft euro
Posts: 17,616
vCash: 500
I wonder... will JT still be here If we miss the playoffs again?

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 08:49 AM
  #15
BobSantos
 
BobSantos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 538
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiDubiDoo View Post
Now granted he has only been here for 100 games, so I do not necessarily blame him for anything wrong with the organization, but Staal, cally, dubi, girardi, were already with the big club, and AA and MDZ were known to be on their way.
MDZ was "known to be on [his] way"?? If you don't give him any credit for MDZ's development then there is no hope.

At least you don't "blame him" yet. But wait, do you? See next quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiDubiDoo View Post
Tortarella crushes confidence in young players and its no surprise to me that TB cut him loose when they went into retool mode.
Evidence. Where is it? We all know certain star centers making $10mil a season had their best years under Tortorella. We know he won a cup with a young Tampa team. We know his first season in Tampa was out of playoffs. His second was a second round exit. His third was the SC. He helped build it, in other words. Come on. Evidence.

How about this November 4, 2009 quote from MDZ in the Post?

Quote:
"The most important thing is the way the coaching staff and team welcomed me," Del Zotto said. "They made me feel comfortable since the first day I got here.

BobSantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 08:53 AM
  #16
BobSantos
 
BobSantos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 538
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
What seems to be conveniently ignored is the idea that Torts was supposed to take the Rangers to the next level. Renney had taken them as far as he could. Seems to me Torts has them going backwards.
Man, you have to break down a system to install a new one. Give him another year. It will move forward.

BobSantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 08:59 AM
  #17
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 15,110
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
What seems to be conveniently ignored is the idea that Torts was supposed to take the Rangers to the next level. Renney had taken them as far as he could. Seems to me Torts has them going backwards.
Agreed 100%. Remember all those arguments after Renney got fired, and how Tortorella was the one to take this team to the next level? At its core, from a personnel standpoint, Renney had a top 5 goaltender and an elite scorer and was able to guide those teams to the playoffs every season....Last season, Tortorella had a top 5 goaltender and an elite scorer and missed out, with a 60 game swoon in the middle of the season. Im leaving out the 2008-2009 season on the resume of both because, simply put, that was one of the worst Ranger rosters I've ever seen.

But beyond personnel, I just dont think Tortorella is the right coach for this team. Theres just simply not enough talent, and he doesnt strike me as the kind of guy with the know-how and patience to bring a team along. Hes the kind of guy you bring in to kick the ***** of underachievers....not so much the case here...this team just isn't very good.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 09:05 AM
  #18
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 30,015
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSantos View Post
Man, you have to break down a system to install a new one. Give him another year. It will move forward.
But that wasn't what was being said. It was being likened to Keenan replacing Roger Neilson. Keenan didn't miss the playoffs when he took over.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 09:09 AM
  #19
pwoz
Registered User
 
pwoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: NJ
Posts: 2,531
vCash: 500
I like Torts' no nonsense, blunt approach, but I think he takes it too far sometimes... for instance.. if someone (i.e. Dubi) messes up in the first period, I don't think the player should be benched for the REST OF THE GAME.. maybe skip 2-3 shifts and that's it.. it impacts the other players' stamina.. Torts did it quite a bit since he took over.

pwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 09:10 AM
  #20
Celestial Black
Registered User
 
Celestial Black's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 6,824
vCash: 500
Never been a Torts guy and doubt I ever will be. I just don't think that he is what the team needs and nothing he has shown in his antics make me believe in him.

Celestial Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 09:11 AM
  #21
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 30,015
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Agreed 100%. Remember all those arguments after Renney got fired, and how Tortorella was the one to take this team to the next level? At its core, from a personnel standpoint, Renney had a top 5 goaltender and an elite scorer and was able to guide those teams to the playoffs every season....Last season, Tortorella had a top 5 goaltender and an elite scorer and missed out, with a 60 game swoon in the middle of the season. Im leaving out the 2008-2009 season on the resume of both because, simply put, that was one of the worst Ranger rosters I've ever seen.

But beyond personnel, I just dont think Tortorella is the right coach for this team. Theres just simply not enough talent, and he doesnt strike me as the kind of guy with the know-how and patience to bring a team along. Hes the kind of guy you bring in to kick the ***** of underachievers....not so much the case here...this team just isn't very good.
A lot of the mindset was (and maybe it was misreading the situation) was that the team was close. That Renney's system was stifling untapped offense. Safe is death was indeed death. So the made the change to the complete opposite type of coach and they have not seen the same degree of success.

I don't want to turn this into another Renney v Torts thread, but I don't recall Renney making all the excuses that Torts has in a shorter amount of time. "Let's take buses" "I don't like the room" "We need to get younger".

Personally, I think Torts' tenure has been tainted by the act he pulled in the playoffs.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 09:14 AM
  #22
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 30,015
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwoz View Post
I like Torts' no nonsense, blunt approach, but I think he takes it too far sometimes... for instance.. if someone (i.e. Dubi) messes up in the first period, I don't think the player should be benched for the REST OF THE GAME.. maybe skip 2-3 shifts and that's it.. it impacts the other players' stamina.. Torts did it quite a bit since he took over.
Devils advocate:

What if it was Wade Redden who messed up? Would you still think being benched for the rest of the game was too extreme?

People (not saying you personally) called for accountability. That needs to be a team-wide thing. Not just for the scapegoat du jour.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 09:15 AM
  #23
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 30,015
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestial Black View Post
Never been a Torts guy and doubt I ever will be. I just don't think that he is what the team needs and nothing he has shown in his antics make me believe in him.
I think the antics would be seem differently, or at least be easier to swallow, if the team was better.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 09:16 AM
  #24
DekeR
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 490
vCash: 500
Having Jokinen, Kotalik, Higgins, Lisin, Boyle, Brashear and EC as a 1st line center and still battling for a playoff spot at the end of the season - how can you say there was not at least some success? Not to mention three rookies on the squad.

DekeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 09:19 AM
  #25
pwoz
Registered User
 
pwoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: NJ
Posts: 2,531
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Devils advocate:

What if it was Wade Redden who messed up? Would you still think being benched for the rest of the game was too extreme?

People (not saying you personally) called for accountability. That needs to be a team-wide thing. Not just for the scapegoat du jour.
I h8 Redden and Drury with every fiber of my being, but I would be mad if they were benched for the rest of the game depending on when it happened... if early in the game then that means more minutes for everyone... not a fan of that.. or if it's midway through the game and we're losing.. again more minutes for everyone bad... but if it's somehow a blowout in our favor or if we're winning with 10 min left in the 3rd.. i wouldn't mind a benching.

Also as much as I h8 Redden, he can play 20+ minutes.. not that he'll be GOOD, but he can do it.. the youts like MDZ and Gilroy (please become a fwd) can't play that many minutes like Redden or Rozsival.

pwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:42 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.