HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Do you like Eric Lindros?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-11-2010, 08:29 PM
  #126
jb**
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Planet Lovetron
Country: Italy
Posts: 8,556
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Majority of the players' role on the team was altered... you bring back an apex player like Lindros and it has a trickle down effect to everyone. If it's a 3rd/4th liner, then it only effects the bottom 6 guys.

That team had come together completely as a team during that playoff run, and bringing Lindros back completely altered the chemistry and a whole host of baggage.
I know what your saying and dont buy that at all in this instance. It should strenghten yoru team adding your best player. These guys are pro's and that should not happen. Not like they never played with him before and he all of a sudden was inserted into the lineup. Bottom line is they all choked at the worst time. Blaming Eric is crutch

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 08:34 PM
  #127
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
I know what your saying and dont buy that at all in this instance. It should strenghten yoru team adding your best player. These guys are pro's and that should not happen. Not like they never played with him before and he all of a sudden was inserted into the lineup. Bottom line is they all choked at the worst time. Blaming Eric is crutch
I don't care what level you're talking about... you play around with chemistry, it can have detrimental effects. We don't talk about teams "gelling" because it sounds good. Chemistry is a very real thing, and I don't care how good a player is they can mess it up.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 08:41 PM
  #128
jb**
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Planet Lovetron
Country: Italy
Posts: 8,556
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I don't care what level you're talking about... you play around with chemistry, it can have detrimental effects. We don't talk about teams "gelling" because it sounds good. Chemistry is a very real thing, and I don't care how good a player is they can mess it up.
Eric was on the team the whole year, so not like they didnt know him and he came from the outside all of a sudden thrown into the fire. It would have been assinine to keep him out. Had they did that and lost the outrage would have been comical.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 12:23 AM
  #129
kicksave27
Registered User
 
kicksave27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,247
vCash: 500
Lindros was the most fun player to watch i've seen. Nobody had his combination of skill and power. Big, mean, howitzer shot and saucer backhand passes. Before the concussions and the family feuds, he was probably one of the most feared players in the game. Unfortunately just couldn't keep his head up. He should have been an all time great but it just went terribly wrong. He is the measuring stick to whom I compare all modern "power fowards" wendel clark and neely were tough guys, but lindros was just a freak of nature.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 09:26 AM
  #130
Kuato
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I hated the big goof and still do to this day.

He never reported to the junior team that drafted him. He never reported to the NHL team that drafted him. He complained about players and he complained about coaches. He blamed everyone else for the team's failures and he NEVER listened to the basics coaches tried to instill in him (i.e. skating with his head up). He insulted management and when his players accused the team doctors of trying to kill him, he did nothing to refute that statement.

Just a selfish and immature boy who caused more harm than good everywhere he went.

April 1, 1999, game against the Nashville Predators, Lindros suffered what was diagnosed as a rib injury. Later that night, the teammate he was sharing a hotel room with, Keith Jones, discovered Lindros lying in a tub, pale and cold. In a call to the Flyers, the trainer was told to put Lindros on a plane that was returning to Philadelphia with injured team mate Mark Recchi. But Jones insisted that Lindros be taken to a nearby hospital and it was discovered Lindros had a collapsed lung caused by internal bleeding of his chest wall. Lindros's father wrote the Flyers a letter in which he stated that if the trainer had followed team orders, Eric would be dead, a statement supported by the doctors who treated him in Nashville.


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Li...delphia_Flyers

http://articles.latimes.com/1999/apr/03/sports/sp-23883

He was kept in Nashville for 2 days because of the severity of his injury. If he had gotten on the plane and gone back to Philly as management had wanted, he would have indeed died.

Kuato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 09:30 AM
  #131
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuato View Post

April 1, 1999, game against the Nashville Predators, Lindros suffered what was diagnosed as a rib injury. Later that night, the teammate he was sharing a hotel room with, Keith Jones, discovered Lindros lying in a tub, pale and cold. In a call to the Flyers, the trainer was told to put Lindros on a plane that was returning to Philadelphia with injured team mate Mark Recchi. But Jones insisted that Lindros be taken to a nearby hospital and it was discovered Lindros had a collapsed lung caused by internal bleeding of his chest wall. Lindros's father wrote the Flyers a letter in which he stated that if the trainer had followed team orders, Eric would be dead, a statement supported by the doctors who treated him in Nashville.


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Li...delphia_Flyers

http://articles.latimes.com/1999/apr/03/sports/sp-23883

He was kept in Nashville for 2 days because of the severity of his injury. If he had gotten on the plane and gone back to Philly as management had wanted, he would have indeed died.
Yeah, this story, from the Lindros camp, is at odds with what Keith Jones has said were the sequence of events that night. Jones' story is far less dramatic. Yes, he found him in the tub... Yes, he called the trainer... the trainer called the ambulance when he saw him.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 09:35 AM
  #132
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
Eric was on the team the whole year, so not like they didnt know him and he came from the outside all of a sudden thrown into the fire. It would have been assinine to keep him out. Had they did that and lost the outrage would have been comical.
...he hadn't played since March 12th. He hadn't played with the team in OVER 2 months. It was a different team when he came back.

And don't make it out like there wasn't a very real debate concerning whether they should bring him back. He'd been stripped of his captaincy at that point, and the entire situation was a complete mess.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 09:46 PM
  #133
FlyerX
Registered User
 
FlyerX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 814
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
He knew he was done with the Flyers. He should have stayed home and informed the Flyers after the playoffs that he wished to be traded. He didn't. Once again he was a selfish primadonna, came in during a storybook playoff run because he wanted a shot at a ring... killed the teams mojo
The Flyers got pounded 4-1 in Game 5 at home without him. They were outshot 14-6 in the 1st and fell behind 3-0. Lindros came back and was their best player in game 6. He led the team in shots and scored their only goal and put another in a split second after the 1st period ended. Nice try.

FlyerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 09:57 PM
  #134
UseYourAllusion
Registered User
 
UseYourAllusion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Philly
Country: United States
Posts: 6,873
vCash: 500
2000 was heartbreaking for me. Blaming Eric makes it easier, and I'd like to continue, thanks.

UseYourAllusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 01:41 AM
  #135
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 30,699
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DownieFaceSoftener View Post
Game 6 - Team was entirely distracted by Lindros and were watching him play. The Devils were all over the Flyers and the Flyers looked like some hack team. They weren't there and no one seemed in the zone that I can remember, except maybe Rico. They were getting pushed all over the ice and it was obvious something was very very wrong.
I think it was game 5 you may be refering to. before game 5 they announced Lindros was coming back. this after the Flyers had won the previous 3 games and the Devils looked like a beaten team in game 4. What happens? they get crushed on home ice and looked flat, disinterested waiting for their "savior" to come back. 4-1 I believe was the final. game 6 was scoreless after 2. Lindros almost did score at the end of the 2nd. close doesnt mean jack ****.
I dont care whos decision it was. It was the wrong one. If they said he was coming back for the Cup Final I would have been fine with it. Those 20 guys earned the right to see if they could finish the series. As soon as they lost game 5 I knew they were done.


Last edited by GoneFullHextall: 08-13-2010 at 02:01 AM.
GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:03 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.