HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Stafford+Butler/Sekera=?

Old
08-05-2010, 12:03 PM
Jame
Dream '16

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowley Birkin View Post
I don't think the Sabres would have a problem with that trade but I think SJ would. Even if they were moving Clowe, I think someone would offer more. He seems highly rated.

I still like the idea of Zubrus for Stafford. NJ may actually be one of the teams that want Stafford (Parise/Zajac), Zubrus has played for Buffalo before and did well, and brings a lot of what the top 6 needs. The Sabres add $1.1m in payroll with a player to dump, with the bonus of having a longer term contract, and NJ cuts $1.3m without losing a roster spot and has more flexibility after this season. We add a 3rd rounder or something to balance and then try to get that pick back by moving a D-man.

It just seems to suit both teams well.
unfortunately... Jersey needs to CUT salary, and Buffalo cant really take any/much on....

so the idea of getting Zubrus is pretty much over.

The Clowe deal works because Buffalo isnt taking on Salary if they trade Stafford and Sekera for him.

Stafford + Sekera = 3.55... so you can offer that package for any forward making something in the 3.5 range.

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 12:24 PM
Rowley Birkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
unfortunately... Jersey needs to CUT salary, and Buffalo cant really take any/much on....

so the idea of getting Zubrus is pretty much over.

The Clowe deal works because Buffalo isnt taking on Salary if they trade Stafford and Sekera for him.

Stafford + Sekera = 3.55... so you can offer that package for any forward making something in the 3.5 range.
Zubrus makes $3.4m.

If you trade Zubrus for Stafford, NJ gets $1.3m cap space while Sabres take on $1.1m. Then they move one of the D in another deal for a pick/prospect/futures to trim the payroll back down.

Its the same thing, except it would require two seperate deals instead of one.

Rowley Birkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 12:38 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Zubrus makes $3.4m.

If you trade Zubrus for Stafford, NJ gets $1.3m cap space while Sabres take on $1.1m. Then they move one of the D in another deal for a pick/prospect/futures to trim the payroll back down.

Its the same thing, except it would require two seperate deals instead of one.
To sign Kovy... they are going to need SIGNIFICANT cap relief. Why would they trade a key piece like Zubrus for just 1.3 in cap space?

I think you will have a hard time finding someone to take on Sekera's 1.25 salary in whole... no one wanted Kennedy at 1.0 million either. And most teams have atleast 7 defensemen already signed.

Not enough real world logic...imo

Old
08-05-2010, 12:50 PM
Rowley Birkin

Quote:
To sign Kovy... they are going to need SIGNIFICANT cap relief. Why would they trade a key piece like Zubrus for just 1.3 in cap space?

I think you will have a hard time finding someone to take on Sekera's 1.25 salary in whole... no one wanted Kennedy at 1.0 million either. And most teams have atleast 7 defensemen already signed.

Not enough real world logic...imo
I think there is more logic there than SJ accepting that trade...

I don't think Zubrus is seen as a 'key' piece. A good player, but not someone who is untradeable (like Parise/Zajac).

As said, Stafford provides them with a player who can take Zubrus' place on the team and someone they may have interest in with the Parise and Zajac connection. I know $1.3m will not be enough for them, but it moves them closer, its basically like cutting a low end roster plyer. And the move offers them the benefit of not being tied to the Zubrus contract for another three years, and they will need this flexibility if they sign Kovy to some stupid contract.

As for Sekera - I think there are plenty of teams out there who would look at him. As I said myself I would rather Butler be the guy moved. Its a different situation to Kennedy. He can play in a top 6 while also having a lot of potential to get better.

There is a lot more chance of making the moves in two stages like this, as opposed to finding the 'perfect' team who want and have use for both Stafford and one of the D, who also happen to have the right player for the Sabres in return.

Old
08-05-2010, 01:05 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
I think there is more logic there than SJ accepting that trade...

I don't think Zubrus is seen as a 'key' piece.
A good player, but not someone who is untradeable (like Parise/Zajac).

As said, Stafford provides them with a player who can take Zubrus' place on the team and someone they may have interest in with the Parise and Zajac connection. I know $1.3m will not be enough for them, but it moves them closer, its basically like cutting a low end roster plyer. And the move offers them the benefit of not being tied to the Zubrus contract for another three years, and they will need this flexibility if they sign Kovy to some stupid contract.

As for Sekera - I think there are plenty of teams out there who would look at him. As I said myself I would rather Butler be the guy moved. Its a different situation to Kennedy. He can play in a top 6 while also having a lot of potential to get better.

There is a lot more chance of making the moves in two stages like this, as opposed to finding the 'perfect' team who want and have use for both Stafford and one of the D, who also happen to have the right player for the Sabres in return.
so wrong... Stafford cant replace anything Zubrus does for the Devils. Ask any intelligent Devils fan, and they will tell you how valuable he is.

and... its harder to make two moves, then one....

ironically... both trades have been proposed on the trade board.

Devils fans unanimously rejected Stafford for Zubrus... they'd rather move Langenbrunner
Sharks fans are very accepting of a Stafford and Butler or Sekera, for Clowe...

Old
08-06-2010, 07:13 AM
Selanne00008

Do we know what Neal is holding out for, or may sign for?

Obviosuly we can't sign him to an offer sheet, because we need to dump salary. But, lets say he would sign for 4-4.5? How much would that be in compensation IF it were an offer sheet?

Dallas, in trade talks might say just Signing him would have cost you 2 first rounders, a 2nd, and a 3rd. (not sure if that would be the compensation if signing him to say 4 mil per year). So Dallas may want something comparable in an actual trade.

So, Stafford, Butler, and a 1st. Those are all 1st, or former first rounders?

I feel like this scenerio was discussed in maybe a Bernier deal.

Selanne00008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2010, 08:29 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
so wrong... Stafford cant replace anything Zubrus does for the Devils. Ask any intelligent Devils fan, and they will tell you how valuable he is.

ironically... both trades have been proposed on the trade board.

Devils fans unanimously rejected Stafford for Zubrus... they'd rather move Langenbrunner
Sharks fans are very accepting of a Stafford and Butler or Sekera, for Clowe...
The San Jose deal has been run through twice, once with the original thread and once a few weeks ago by Zip and in both cases, it seems fairly widely supported not just by casual observers but followers of both teams. That, given the polarization of the boards, is an accomplishment.

Clowe has another tie to the Sabres as well -- he and Adam train together in the summer. It wouldn't hurt to leverage a little bit of the Rock while filling a need in the top 6.

08-06-2010, 08:40 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selanne00008 View Post
Some speculative reports peg him in the 4-4.5 million dollar range, which is steep for someone with essentially half a season of first line productivity. The fear of course would be that he'd fall back with the comfort of a big money, long-term deal. That's the risk. Clowe is much less risky -- he's far more finished and being signed for two more years would also give them some certainty in the top 6 while looking for progression out of their other high-traffic forward prospects (namely Kassian and Adam).

Quote:
Obviosuly we can't sign him to an offer sheet, because we need to dump salary. But, lets say he would sign for 4-4.5? How much would that be in compensation IF it were an offer sheet?

Dallas, in trade talks might say just Signing him would have cost you 2 first rounders, a 2nd, and a 3rd. (not sure if that would be the compensation if signing him to say 4 mil per year). So Dallas may want something comparable in an actual trade.

So, Stafford, Butler, and a 1st. Those are all 1st, or former first rounders?

I feel like this scenerio was discussed in maybe a Bernier deal.

Between $3,091,963 to $4,637,944 would be a first and a third round pick in compensation. $4,637,944 to $6,183,925 would be a first, second and third round pick in compensation. Is he worth more than $4 million? Maybe. But the Sabres aren't going to OS him, we know that. And they're not likely to take on salary so the deal has to include salary moving out... Stafford and Sekera are not enough if looked at from what each might garner in trade (say a mid-2nd for Stafford right now and a 3rd or 4th for Sekera).

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2010, 09:24 AM
Selanne00008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Some speculative reports peg him in the 4-4.5 million dollar range, which is steep for someone with essentially half a season of first line productivity. The fear of course would be that he'd fall back with the comfort of a big money, long-term deal. That's the risk. Clowe is much less risky -- he's far more finished and being signed for two more years would also give them some certainty in the top 6 while looking for progression out of their other high-traffic forward prospects (namely Kassian and Adam).

Between $3,091,963 to $4,637,944 would be a first and a third round pick in compensation. $4,637,944 to $6,183,925 would be a first, second and third round pick in compensation. Is he worth more than $4 million? Maybe. But the Sabres aren't going to OS him, we know that. And they're not likely to take on salary so the deal has to include salary moving out... Stafford and Sekera are not enough if looked at from what each might garner in trade (say a mid-2nd for Stafford right now and a 3rd or 4th for Sekera).
Good info. Yeah I keep forgetting the brackets go higher n higher as the cap goes up. Ok, so eitherway he is int he 3-4.6 mill range when it comes to an offer sheet. Which like u say, would never happen.

But, if the compensation would only be a first and a 3rd. I think an offer of stafford, Butler, and a 1st looks like it could be ideal. But, I am not so sure if Dallas fans would agree. If we could sign him in the 4.2 range then we'd be taking on about a mill in salary. For someone like Neal, I would hope Darcy could convince Tommy and Quin to make the move. But, obviously this scenario has a 5% chance of happening at best. But, good discussion anyways. sigh

edit: if we signed him around 4.5 mill per, I'd want to buy a year or two of UFA years. Either that, or sign him so that he is still an RFA after the contract at 4? yikes, thats steep.

Selanne00008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2010, 09:44 AM
Sabretip

Quote:

HEIKA: I believe both the Ducks and Stars would match offer sheets for Bobby Ryan and James Neal, unless the offers were ridiculous.

Bottom line, agents for Neal (Pat Morris) and Ryan (Don Meehan) (they are both with Newport Sports Management) have probably been out there for more than three weeks trying to drum up RFA offer sheets, and have not been able to accomplish that task. I'm not sure how Anaheim views that situation, but I think Dallas would just wait Neal out.

If the Stars believe that all they can afford to give Neal right now is two years at $2.5 million a year, then they don't have to offer anything more. They might lose Neal's services for a season, but they have left-handed left wings and could easily plug someone like Jamie Benn in Neal's place. Then, it would be up to Neal to decide if he would rather sit out for a month or two (or even the whole year) to get what he feels is fair. It's certainly not the best way to foster a good long-term relationship with a player, but it is an advantage that teams get through the CBA.

If I had to make a prediction on this thing, it will be that Neal and his agent will eventually propose a one-year contract at what they believe is a rate the Stars would take. That way, Neal could go into camp on time, try to hit a home run with a 40-goal season and then have the option of arbitration next summer. In addition, if new ownership is in place for the Stars by then, my guess is the negotiating environment would be a lot better.

http://starsblog.dallasnews.com/arch...by-ryan-1.html

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2010, 09:51 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
Do we know what Neal is holding out for, or may sign for?.
Morris said the two sides have not talked about Neal's contract since June 30, but that there really isn't much to talk about right now. He said that a lot of restricted free agents in the same situation as Neal are also unsigned, and that teams and agents are displaying a lot of patience right now.

The Stars are pretty much pushing for a two-year contract with Neal.

http://starsblog.dallasnews.com/arch...-and-neal.html

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2010, 10:42 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
The San Jose deal has been run through twice, once with the original thread and once a few weeks ago by Zip and in both cases, it seems fairly widely supported not just by casual observers but followers of both teams. That, given the polarization of the boards, is an accomplishment.

Clowe has another tie to the Sabres as well -- he and Adam train together in the summer. It wouldn't hurt to leverage a little bit of the Rock while filling a need in the top 6.
I dont think I've ever seen a proposal on the trade board that was so fair, addressed both teams needs, and fit in both teams spending/salary structure.

The proposed Stafford and Butler for Clowe deal is monumental for the trade board.

And it's sooo perfect for the Sabres, it's a shame it won't happen...

Old
08-06-2010, 11:03 AM
Salzig
I am laudable.

Quote:
I dont think I've ever seen a proposal on the trade board that was so fair, addressed both teams needs, and fit in both teams spending/salary structure.

The proposed Stafford and Butler for Clowe deal is monumental for the trade board.

And it's sooo perfect for the Sabres, it's a shame it won't happen...
Well, I would not accept this deal if was Doug Wilson.

Salzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2010, 11:15 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salzig View Post
Well, I would not accept this deal if was Doug Wilson.
interesting. many sharks fans would... care to explain?

Old
08-06-2010, 12:14 PM
Rowley Birkin

Quote:

Sharks fans are very accepting of a Stafford and Butler or Sekera, for Clowe
Quite a lot of the NJ fans liked the deal. They are not like for like players but would play the same role on their team (ie, top 6 winger). Langenbrunner won't be moved (has NTC, captain, does not make as much money etc.)

Not that it matters what people think on an internet forum... I think it was the Clowe topic recently where somebody described Butler as a solid top4 player. If I was SJ I would never make that deal.

Quote:
Complete BS.

What are the chances that two teams have both the pieces the other team wants and are also in the right circumstances (cap, salary, roster spaces etc.)? Very slim.

Its far easier for example to find a team with a need for Stafford, and another team who have a need for a D man. Its unlikely a team will have a need for both.

Always used to like arguing with you, Jame.

Old
08-06-2010, 12:28 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Quite a lot of the NJ fans liked the deal. They are not like for like players but would play the same role on their team (ie, top 6 winger). Langenbrunner won't be moved (has NTC, captain, does not make as much money etc.)

Not that it matters what people think on an internet forum... I think it was the Clowe topic recently where somebody described Butler as a solid top4 player. If I was SJ I would never make that deal.

Complete BS.

What are the chances that two teams have both the pieces the other team wants and are also in the right circumstances (cap, salary, roster spaces etc.)? Very slim.

Its far easier for example to find a team with a need for Stafford, and another team who have a need for a D man. Its unlikely a team will have a need for both.

Always used to like arguing with you, Jame.
two deals are harder then one... if you like to keep arguing the opposite point of view, be my guest, but its a simple fact.

most of the knowledgeable posters have agreed. the Stafford, Butler for Clowe deal is good. and Zubrus is too valuable to NJ....go back into the Jersey thread, all the posters who sound like they know more then the stat sheet, HATE the idea of trading Zubrus... I would love to get Zubrus back, but I'd prefer Clowe, and its more realistic since San Jose DOES have a need on defense.

Butler would be the 4th best defensemen on the Sharks, and would have the change to grow into a #2 there... most likley leveling out as a good #3.

Stafford provides them scoring depth behind their top scorers (Joe, Heatley, Marleau, Pavelski, Seto...

no need to keep going around and around on this... there are no team's that "have a need for Stafford"...

Old
08-06-2010, 12:34 PM
Salzig
I am laudable.

Quote:
interesting. many sharks fans would... care to explain?
Well, I'm always open to substantiate my opinion.

I think Clowe is a very good hockey player. He has a good size and knows how to use it. He has a high value, especially because he’s quite affordable.

Stafford has nearly no value for me. His production has decreased every single year since he came to the NHL (PPG-wise). He plays lazy and you don’t know how high his potential really is. I would never ever trade for such a player unless he’s cheap (eg. for a 4th round pick).

Butler is a solid defender and has probably a good future. I think his value is relatively high.

I just don’t think that the Sharks are desperate enough to give up Clowe to get another solid defender and a “gamble” in return. This trade is basically Clowe for a solid, young defender plus a forward to fill the missing forward. I think Stafford’s value is too low to male this trade half-way attractive for San Jose. They don’t need a defender so much, that they’d give up one of their better forwards for a filling defender plus a forward who has disappointed in the last years. Stafford is no Clowe-replacement and Butler is not the defender you trade for, unless this deal doesn’t require to give up one of your best players.

Salzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2010, 12:48 PM
Rowley Birkin

Quote:
two deals are harder then one... if you like to keep arguing the opposite point of view, be my guest, but its a simple fact.
Its not a fact at all. Very rarely will two teams be able to satisfy each others needs to just make one move with each other. You are talking about two seperate players, and therefore two seperate situations.

Quote:
most of the knowledgeable posters have agreed. the Stafford, Butler for Clowe deal is good. and Zubrus is too valuable to NJ....go back into the Jersey thread, all the posters who sound like they know more then the stat sheet, HATE the idea of trading Zubrus... I would love to get Zubrus back, but I'd prefer Clowe, and its more realistic since San Jose DOES have a need on defense.
NJ may not have much choice if they have to trim payroll. Zubrus will be one of the first candidates to move believe me, because he is neither 'untradeable' like Parise/Zajac, nor does he have negative value like some of their other players. Don't tell me somebody will likely take Rolston off of their hands.

And SJ does have a need for a D. They need a reliable proven top 4 type and neither Butler or Sekera fit that bill. If they were to trade Clowe I bet they get a nice D-man back as the main return (or perhaps only return).

If I am SJ, I would never make the deal. If I am NJ, I might have to.

For the record, I would like both players on Buffalo. Both bring to the table things the team needs.

Quote:
no need to keep going around and around on this... there are no team's that "have a need for Stafford"...
OK, but there are teams that may want / have use for him more than others. This is what I meant. Why I think NJ may be interested is the connection with two of their top players. And they need someone who doesn't cost too much that is capable of playing in a top6 role. In this respect at least, Staff fits the bill. It also gives them the option to dump him after the season if it doesn't work out. They are going to have to manage their situation carefully, and Zubrus is signed for 3 years.

Obviously this all hangs on Kovalchuk.

Old
08-06-2010, 12:51 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salzig View Post
Well, I'm always open to substantiate my opinion.

I think Clowe is a very good hockey player. He has a good size and knows how to use it. He has a high value, especially because he’s quite affordable.

Stafford has nearly no value for me. His production has decreased every single year since he came to the NHL (PPG-wise). He plays lazy and you don’t know how high his potential really is. I would never ever trade for such a player unless he’s cheap (eg. for a 4th round pick).

Butler is a solid defender and has probably a good future. I think his value is relatively high.

I just don’t think that the Sharks are desperate enough to give up Clowe to get another solid defender and a “gamble” in return. This trade is basically Clowe for a solid, young defender plus a forward to fill the missing forward. I think Stafford’s value is too low to male this trade half-way attractive for San Jose. They don’t need a defender so much, that they’d give up one of their better forwards for a filling defender plus a forward who has disappointed in the last years. Stafford is no Clowe-replacement and Butler is not the defender you trade for, unless this deal doesn’t require to give up one of your best players.
I pretty much agree with your assessment.

I think San Jose/Wilson.... may feel they have the internal pieces to replace what Clowe brings (Seto, McGinn, Couture).

And I think Butler would be a player that San Jose would be clamoring to get their hands on. San Jose has 2, top 4 defenders... arguably 3 counting Murray.

A young, and experienced 2nd pairing guy like Butler, who still has potential to be the perfect #2 to put with Boyle.... that's quite enticing.

Clowe is what the Sabres need.

Old
08-06-2010, 01:01 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Its not a fact at all. Very rarely will two teams be able to satisfy each others needs to just make one move with each other. You are talking about two seperate players, and therefore two seperate situations.
all i could think while reading this was... you're doing it wrong...

Quote:
NJ may not have much choice if they have to trim payroll. Zubrus will be one of the first candidates to move believe me, because he is neither 'untradeable' like Parise/Zajac, nor does he have negative value like some of their other players. Don't tell me somebody will likely take Rolston off of their hands.
Scott Gomez

Quote:
And SJ does have a need for a D. They need a reliable proven top 4 type and neither Butler or Sekera fit that bill. If they were to trade Clowe I bet they get a nice D-man back as the main return (or perhaps only return).

If I am SJ, I would never make the deal. If I am NJ, I might have to.
San Jose fans approve the deal... they know more about their team, then you do. San Jose fans want a capable top 4 guy (Butler) who has potential to be even better.

Quote:
OK, but there are teams that may want / have use for him more than others. This is what I meant. Why I think NJ may be interested is the connection with two of their top players. And they need someone who doesn't cost too much that is capable of playing in a top6 role. In this respect at least, Staff fits the bill. It also gives them the option to dump him after the season if it doesn't work out. They are going to have to manage their situation carefully, and Zubrus is signed for 3 years.

Obviously this all hangs on Kovalchuk.
Stafford for Zubrus works for me... go put it up on the board.

Old
08-06-2010, 01:04 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
San Jose fans approve the deal... they know more about their team, then you do. San Jose fans want a capable top 4 guy (Butler) who has potential to be even better.
They know their team better, sure. But we know Butler better...

Butler got so overrated by this board after handling 3rd pairing minutes with Rivet two years ago it's not even funny.

He hasn't shown me anything to suggest he is a top 4 D-man on a contender NOW, which is what SJ needs more. But if they want him, I'm not going to enlighten them

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2010, 01:11 PM
Loungie

I'll honestly take anything to get rid of Stafford

Loungie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2010, 01:14 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSwords View Post
They know their team better, sure. But we know Butler better...

Butler got so overrated by this board after handling 3rd pairing minutes with Rivet two years ago it's not even funny.

He hasn't shown me anything to suggest he is a top 4 D-man on a contender NOW, which is what SJ needs more. But if they want him, I'm not going to enlighten them
Interesting... i think Butler is fairly underrated.

I also think he will be given EVERY opportunity to win the job of being Myers partner.

Old
08-09-2010, 07:28 PM
PrimeTimePlummer*

Send a message via AIM to PrimeTimePlummer*
picks/stafford dump

PrimeTimePlummer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 06:23 AM
Rowley Birkin

Jame - I will agree to disagree with you on that. Its a shame though, because we both know that no deal realistically gets made.

At this stage, I would gladly dump Staff + Butler for a good pick or forward prospect, and have the cap space spare to use in the season.