HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Good news and bad news

Closed Thread

Old
09-22-2003, 06:30 AM
txpd

vCash: 500
Good news and bad news

After early camp and 3 preseason games, we have good news and bad news.

Good news:
1. Zubrus is getting a full Capitals camp for the first time and is already the best player in camp. This could be a major developement for the Capitals. It could also provide an interesting source of motivation for Jagr. If Zubrus were to finally maximize his potential as an 80pt NHL player, could he also with a hot streak out of the gate threaten Jagr's position as the best player on the team and force the big guy to find his game.

2. Bondra remains the same passionate dangerous player.
3. Gordon and Sutherby seem to be having great camps.
4. Both the PP and the PK have been effective
5. Darcy Verot...is he challenging Peat and Henry for that roster spot after contributing in more ways than just dropping the gloves?

Bad news:
1. Yonkman injuried and not playing. This increases the chance that guys like Kwiatkowski, Boumedianne and Gruden will be the guys the Caps rely on and not Yonkman.
2. Fortin injured back again and not playing. See above.
3. Has anyone seen Jagr? I see that he has a 2nd assist on a ppg and a couple of shots on goal in the Detroit game.
4. Semin missed two games that he needed, but from what I heard played well in his first game.

Old
09-23-2003, 07:52 AM
sveiglar

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd

Bad news:
1. Yonkman injuried and not playing. This increases the chance that guys like Kwiatkowski, Boumedianne and Gruden will be the guys the Caps rely on and not Yonkman.
2. Fortin injured back again and not playing. See above.
An opening for Cutta, or is he slated for Portland?

Old
09-23-2003, 09:49 AM
AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar

Send a message via AIM to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar Send a message via MSN to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar
Quote:
Originally Posted by sveiglar
An opening for Cutta, or is he slated for Portland?
most likely portland...

Old
09-29-2003, 11:46 PM
Jani8

"If Zubrus were to finally maximize his potential as an 80pt NHL player"

Are you serious? He's entering his 8th season and you still think that he's something more than a 50 point scorer?

Old
09-30-2003, 03:05 AM
Red Baron

vCash:
I thought Cutta had a great training camp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number67
most likely portland...

Old
09-30-2003, 03:17 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jani8
"If Zubrus were to finally maximize his potential as an 80pt NHL player"

Are you serious? He's entering his 8th season and you still think that he's something more than a 50 point scorer?
Power forwards are notoriously slow to develope. Todd Bertuzzi's first season above 50 pts was his 8th season. Bertuzzi's last two seasons have been 80pts plus. Zubrus is 3 years younger than Bertuzzi, has chanced teams twice to Bertuzzi's once and has had 7 coaches in 7 years. Zubrus has played the last 20 games of the past two season at a point per game pace and he was a force in the playoffs last year. I think you can make a case that while he has started slow for a variety of reasons the last two season, when it got to crunch time Zubrus was easily one of the Caps best and most consistantly productive players.
Cassidy has already indicated that he intends to use Zubrus in a primary role on the power play when last year he rarely got first unit power play time. So, in short...Am I serious? Yes, very serious.

Old
09-30-2003, 03:37 AM
Koltsov71

vCash:
Quote:
So, in short...Am I serious? Yes, very serious.
And I agree with you.

Old
09-30-2003, 08:25 AM
kutdacheez

Quote:
3. Has anyone seen Jagr?
I think it's one of those team unity Sparc, things . . . he is helping cut wood over at Kolzig's house. $parc management wanted to see them in a*cord

Old
09-30-2003, 12:01 PM
tom_servo

Dont worry about Jagr and his preseason performance. Lemieux doesn't even play the games.

Old
10-01-2003, 12:05 AM
Jani8

"Power forwards are notoriously slow to develope. Todd Bertuzzi's first season above 50 pts was his 8th season. Bertuzzi's last two seasons have been 80pts plus. Zubrus is 3 years younger than Bertuzzi, has chanced teams twice to Bertuzzi's once and has had 7 coaches in 7 years. Zubrus has played the last 20 games of the past two season at a point per game pace and he was a force in the playoffs last year. I think you can make a case that while he has started slow for a variety of reasons the last two season, when it got to crunch time Zubrus was easily one of the Caps best and most consistantly productive players.
Cassidy has already indicated that he intends to use Zubrus in a primary role on the power play when last year he rarely got first unit power play time. So, in short...Am I serious? Yes, very serious."

Now you're coming out like a fool comparing Zubrus to Bertuzzi. Bertuzzi scored 18 goals in his rookie season and Zubie's career high is 17. Bertuzzi cracked 50 points in his 5th season not 8th. But hey, maybe the Caps can trade Zubrus for Bertuzzi since Zubie is 3 years younger!

Just take a look at Zubie's linemates: Lindros, LeClair, Jagr...and he still can't produce. There is absolutely nothing indicating that Zubrus will ever be more than a 50 point scorer.

Old
10-01-2003, 03:29 AM
txpd

Quote:
"Power forwards are notoriously slow to develope. Todd Bertuzzi's first season above 50 pts was his 8th season. Bertuzzi's last two seasons have been 80pts plus. Zubrus is 3 years younger than Bertuzzi, has chanced teams twice to Bertuzzi's once and has had 7 coaches in 7 years. Zubrus has played the last 20 games of the past two season at a point per game pace and he was a force in the playoffs last year. I think you can make a case that while he has started slow for a variety of reasons the last two season, when it got to crunch time Zubrus was easily one of the Caps best and most consistantly productive players.
Cassidy has already indicated that he intends to use Zubrus in a primary role on the power play when last year he rarely got first unit power play time. So, in short...Am I serious? Yes, very serious."

Now you're coming out like a fool comparing Zubrus to Bertuzzi. Bertuzzi scored 18 goals in his rookie season and Zubie's career high is 17. Bertuzzi cracked 50 points in his 5th season not 8th. But hey, maybe the Caps can trade Zubrus for Bertuzzi since Zubie is 3 years younger!

Just take a look at Zubie's linemates: Lindros, LeClair, Jagr...and he still can't produce. There is absolutely nothing indicating that Zubrus will ever be more than a 50 point scorer.
I see the indications and you don't. That's what makes life fun. Only time will tell if he is more than a 50pt player. The bottom line is that at
$1.6m a season Zubrus is a good value just as he is.

Old
10-01-2003, 09:01 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
I'm not saying that Zubrus is going to be a Bertuzzi but when you look at these guys' points per game each season when they were 22 through 25 they are fairly close.

Bertuzzi:
22 - .36
23 - .45
24 - .50
25 - .63
total - .49

Zubrus
22 - .58
23 - .41
24 - .61
25 - .56
total - .54

I'm not seeing a whole lot of differences there, though Bertuzzi was on a fairly steady upward climb while Zubrus has been more up and down. Obviously we know Bertuzzi has kept getting better. Zubrus we don't know what he is going to do, but is logical to believe that he also will be getting better as he matures. Will he be Bertuzzi good? I kind of doubt it, but you never know and he can still be a very effective player without being Bertuzzi good.

Old
10-01-2003, 11:53 PM
Jani8

"I see the indications and you don't. That's what makes life fun. Only time will tell if he is more than a 50pt player. The bottom line is that at
$1.6m a season Zubrus is a good value just as he is."

I totally agree that at $1.6 50pt Zubrus is a good value. And yes, he has all the tools to be more effective but to be a 80pt player he'd have to be more consistant and so far we've all seen that he is not.

And when you compare Zubrus and Bertuzzi at ages 22 through 25, you should remember that Zubrus was playing with Lindros and LeClair. Bertuzzi was not.

Old
10-02-2003, 04:14 AM
Mothra

Quote:
"I see the indications and you don't. That's what makes life fun. Only time will tell if he is more than a 50pt player. The bottom line is that at
$1.6m a season Zubrus is a good value just as he is."

I totally agree that at $1.6 50pt Zubrus is a good value. And yes, he has all the tools to be more effective but to be a 80pt player he'd have to be more consistant and so far we've all seen that he is not.

And when you compare Zubrus and Bertuzzi at ages 22 through 25, you should remember that Zubrus was playing with Lindros and LeClair. Bertuzzi was not.

Thats not accurate........Zubrus was born in 6/78....he was traded to Montreal during the 98-99 season....when he was 20 years old.

So saying Zubrus played with Lindros/LeClair from 22-25 would make you wrong

Old
10-02-2003, 11:58 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
Zubrus has only played with the Habs and the Caps over the last 4 seasons.

Old
10-02-2003, 05:52 PM
I_r_1337

Zubrus didn't maintain the first line wing spot with Lindros and LeClair from day one until he was traded. He was moved around the lineup. I wouldn't exactly say Zubrus is going to be Burtuzzi but I remember when people gave up on Todd. Look where he is now. You just never know, anybody at anytime can turn it around if they have the skill and the desire to do it. Lots of people have the skill but not many of them want it bad enough.

Closed Thread