HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Buff-Wash

Old
08-13-2010, 09:00 AM
MyersMagic57*

vCash: 500
Buff-Wash

I've been on the main board and Capitals board reading about potential trade rumors and proposals now that Belanger is under contract.

Alot of Caps fans seem to think Flash is on his way out on a trade now

I was wondering what we would be willing to give up in a trade for Flash

Flash could be a great upgrade at center on Connolly, he hasn't shown it but I've watched him and I think he has the potential to become a 30 goal-75 point center soon enough...which would help us alot

Thoughts on what we would give them?

I'm thinking Butler/Sekera and whoever else. I would love to give them Stafford too

MyersMagic57* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 09:06 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Stealing these from the Summer Moves thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
never really been a fan of his game... and that absurd shooting % is not going to last from the past season.

He would provide a little more depth at center with some experience there.

if we are going to move Stafford, i want a more physical forward in return... not a Stafford clone who costs more and is an UFA next year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
He's more of the same, though. Pretty good speed, pretty good shot, smallish, not especially physical, tends to disappear when the going gets tough, etc. On the positive side, he can play wing or center, and has looked pretty good at center. If the Sabres were looking at him as a cheaper alternative to re-signing Connolly, I'd be somewhat interested. Still, don't love Flash for this team.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregor7777 View Post
Quite frankly, I'm looking to next year and Connolly's expiring contact as a test of our management.

We really don't have a stud to replace him in the system next year, and it's blindingly obvious we will need a big time center after he leaves.

We'll have the cash and the roster spot available for a big FA splash. I'm looking top shelf C pickup next year. I don't see any way they can claim they are "going for it" without one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
The more I think about it, the more a Bieksa-for-Fleischmann trade makes almost too much sense not to happen:

-Gillis said if he moves Bieksa, it's going to be a "hockey deal" and not a salary dump. This would qualify as such.

-Vancouver gets some cap room ($1.125), while Washington takes on a reasonable amount of salary ($900k)

-Acquiring Bieksa possibly gives the Caps a leg up in their pursuit of Willie Mitchell.

-Bieksa (and Mitchell) are exactly the type of players the Caps needed in the postseason over the last couple years.

-This season is very much a "win now" season for Washington. Semin is going to be looking for huge bucks next offseason, and may not re-sign with Washington. They also have a ton of other guys going to UFA next season (Knuble, Laich, Bradley, Gordon, Poti, Erskine).

-Most around the Caps figured they'd only be able to re-sign one of Laich or Flash next summer. Sounds like they chose Laich. Probably the better decision given the way the style of play in the NHL is changing.

-The Canucks needed a 3rd line winger. Flash can play there. He can also play in the top-6. He can also play center. Good versatility for the Canucks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
With Salo on the shelf, it will be interesting to see if that makes Vancouver hesitant to move Bieksa.
For a $2.6 M UFA-to-be, it seems a bit outside what Regier would normally do unless they knew they could resign him as a possible replacement for Connolly going forward. The Bieksa-Flash trade seems to make too much sense for both sides.

08-13-2010, 09:09 AM
Sabreality

vCash: 50
i dont think Flash is going anywhere...but what about

Butler + 3rd for Chimera?

Slugs get a flexible top 9 F..Caps get a young NHL ready D-man, with PP capabilities and upside.

Sabreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 09:10 AM
MyersMagic57*

and the caps are my #2 team so if we can't win the cup I wan't them too

Old
08-13-2010, 09:14 AM
MyersMagic57*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabreality View Post

Slugs get a flexible top 9 F..Caps get a young NHL ready D-man, with PP capabilities and upside.
I like it. Any trade that will give our forwards more speed I'm all for, I miss that speedy transition we used to have

Old
08-13-2010, 09:14 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

It doesn't make much sense for this year, seeing as though he and TC would expire at the same time. If we're trading for a center, I'd say to try to make it one who can replace Connolly after the season ends by being signed.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 09:18 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:

Hmmmm... Not a fan of that deal for a number of reasons:

- The Caps top 6 seems set with Carlson coming on. I could see where it would give them a solid 7, moving Sloan down a spot... but is it worth it for them to move Chimera for that sort of return?
- Butler should be worth more than or close to equal to Chimera at this point -- no need to add a pick.
- Buffalo doesn't have a need for Chimera given their cheaper contract youngsters or tweeners to round out their lineup.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 09:19 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vile21 View Post
I like it. Any trade that will give our forwards more speed I'm all for, I miss that speedy transition we used to have
It is the one thing that the current crop lacks... but it could be solved if Ennis and Gerbe both make it. Yes, it makes them smaller, but both have excellent speed and combined will make less than Chimera for the year.

Old
08-13-2010, 10:15 AM
MyersMagic57*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
It is the one thing that the current crop lacks... but it could be solved if Ennis and Gerbe both make it. Yes, it makes them smaller, but both have excellent speed and combined will make less than Chimera for the year.
Very true, we could even trade for Lombardi, Cogliano, and Helm, and have the leagues fastest line

Old
08-13-2010, 10:17 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:

Sounds like a massive underselling of Butler's trade value.

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 10:24 AM
Langway
Death/Taxes/Choking

vCash: 50
I would think Montador would be more along the lines of what the Caps would be interested in given the make-up of their guaranteed D regulars. I see him penciled in as a top 4 guy for Buffalo, though?

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 10:47 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
I would think Montador would be more along the lines of what the Caps would be interested in given the make-up of their guaranteed D regulars. I see him penciled in as a top 4 guy for Buffalo, though?
Yeah, he's the defacto 2nd pairing RD at this point, unless Rivet's repaired shoulder allows him to shake of the rust of Father Time and displace him. There is even some thought that he and ex-Cap Morrisonn could be paired together but we'll have to see what happens come camp.

Bieksa could be the perfect fit -- better offensively than Montador, a tough cookie in his own right and probably due for a change after a tough playoff for the 'Nucks. The only downside there is price....

Old
08-13-2010, 12:06 PM
glassjaw*

I've heard he's not that good of a player and his coach gave him way too much ice time. Playing behind Ovechkin, Backstrom, and Semin helps too.

glassjaw* is offline   Reply With Quote