HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Jacob Markstrom tops a deep Florida Panthers prospect pool

Old
08-09-2010, 01:29 AM
CanadianPantherFan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Burrell View Post
The reason for that is that the grades indicate different things (you can check out what they mean here). So (for example), you could have a future 2nd liner who puts up decent numbers but can't play defense and then you could also have a future 3rd liner with great leadership and shutdown abilities. I'd prefer to have the future 3rd liner with leaderships. But because he's a 3rd liner he would be a 6.0 while the player with top-six offensive skills but no defensive awareness would score a 7.0. In other words, the numbers also indicate what type of player they'll become, rather than it simply being 10 is the best and 0 is the worst.

Also, the ratings mean different things depending on position. There are a bunch of different factors to consider as well.

Ah, I'll clarify. I have no problem giving my reasoning behind something but at the same time I don't want to get into debates either. I'm obviously going to stand behind my work and I think it would be unprofessional to get into heated debates about what I've written.

Nothing's completely black and white though. I don't mind discussing things in a civilized way sometimes. I also don't want to be expected to reply and defend absolutely everything.
Fair enough. Your original reply just gave off " I'm better than all of you type feeling so I don't need to back up any of my selections". I understand that you don't want to get into a back and forth with people over EVERY selection with turns into petty arguments down the line.

CanadianPantherFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 02:24 AM
ginner classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinlandPanther View Post
how's he overrated. don't come in here and not provide a reason....
Likely outcome for this kid is 25-30 goals and 20 assists in a good season with average to poor defence. I'm a Vancouver fan. I've seen his game. I think he's going to make the NHL and be a second liner on a poor team. 7.0B

ginner classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 04:25 AM
Gudbranson44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginner classic View Post
Likely outcome for this kid is 25-30 goals and 20 assists in a good season with average to poor defence. I'm a Vancouver fan. I've seen his game. I think he's going to make the NHL and be a second liner on a poor team. 7.0B
you're a vancouver fan, and just like any other fan of a canadian hockey team, you know everything there is about hockey and a little more right?

Gudbranson44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 03:44 PM
Mike Burrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Jokinen View Post
This is just me, but i think Hyman could definitely end up being a massive steal. For some reason, i just see him being able to get it done at the NHL level.
I completely agree. He played at a lower tier but I think the potential is there for him to be a big steal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Panther View Post
thanks for the clarification.
No problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianPantherFan View Post
Fair enough. Your original reply just gave off " I'm better than all of you type feeling so I don't need to back up any of my selections". I understand that you don't want to get into a back and forth with people over EVERY selection with turns into petty arguments down the line.
Oh, sorry. I didn't mean for it to come out like that at all. No, you guys definitely know your stuff and I don't think I'm better than anyone else.

Mike Burrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 01:23 PM
King Panther
ElGrandeDbagSupreme

i was reading the tampa draft review and i thought it interesting that brett conolly got rated 8.0D and john mcfarland got 7.0C. the more i think about these two guys the more i see them as being basically the same type of prospect, boom/bust. I think JM easily has as much upside as BC does. Im guessing that they dinged JM down to a 7 because of his production over the last 2 years and gave BC the higher grade because although he also had lower production then expected, it was due to his injuries. im not sure that I can agree with this rationale though. I think when it comes down to it these guys have basically the same physical skill set and talents so I think they both deserve an 8 as far as the ceiling on their potential. both are obviously quite capable of amounting to jack squat so they both deserve a D. with that said i like that we got our guy with the 33rd as opposed to the 6th pick.

King Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 03:20 PM
FinlandPanther

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Panther View Post
i was reading the tampa draft review and i thought it interesting that brett conolly got rated 8.0D and john mcfarland got 7.0C. the more i think about these two guys the more i see them as being basically the same type of prospect, boom/bust. I think JM easily has as much upside as BC does. Im guessing that they dinged JM down to a 7 because of his production over the last 2 years and gave BC the higher grade because although he also had lower production then expected, it was due to his injuries. im not sure that I can agree with this rationale though. I think when it comes down to it these guys have basically the same physical skill set and talents so I think they both deserve an 8 as far as the ceiling on their potential. both are obviously quite capable of amounting to jack squat so they both deserve a D. with that said i like that we got our guy with the 33rd as opposed to the 6th pick.
the more i think about it connoly and JM are very similar as well. connoly played for Prince George who is absolutely terrible which is why his production was off as well as injured. Sudbury Wolves is also nothing to write home about. JM has been rumored to have attitude probelms and lack in the hockey sense department. Connoly comes to play every game even with the personality of a rock he has. I would have ranked them Connoly 8.5 D and JM 8.0 D
Both have the physical presence and laser wristers and are actually good passers as well.

FinlandPanther is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 03:31 PM
King Panther
ElGrandeDbagSupreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinlandPanther View Post
the more i think about it connoly and JM are very similar as well. connoly played for Prince George who is absolutely terrible which is why his production was off as well as injured. Sudbury Wolves is also nothing to write home about. JM has been rumored to have attitude probelms and lack in the hockey sense department. Connoly comes to play every game even with the personality of a rock he has. I would have ranked them Connoly 8.5 D and JM 8.0 D
Both have the physical presence and laser wristers and are actually good passers as well.
and we got ours almost a full round later so id say we win. at least for now with the final winner to be determined in a few years.

King Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 09:11 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

IMO Connolly's shot is a bit better and his offensive ceiling is slightly higher. But he is also more likely to reach that ceiling I think. I think McFarland can do it, but he's got to start producing. If injuries aren't a problem, there's really no reason why Connolly shouldn't become a 30-40 goal scorer.

Also, Connolly has superb goal scoring instincts while McFarland to date has shown below average hockey sense.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 07:14 AM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
I do think HF is underrating Bjugstad, especially based on his recent WJC Summer camp performance. He came into that camp with little expectations to even earn a spot on the team and he quickly went to a lock for the WJC team this December and probably the top line center too. I think he should've been rated with higher potential but with less likelihood to do so, ie rated as an 8.0D.

As far as McFarland goes with his rating, I cant totally disagree with it. Though I think its important to note (and often overlooked) that he was working hard on his defensive play last season to become a complete hockey player. I think that will go a long way towards him being an NHL forward and why I would rate him with a B letter grade instead of a C. Worst case with him, I think we get a good 3rd liner but I think you'll see him score plenty this coming season to show that he's still got talent to be a top 6 forward.

Right now my top 3 in the org in terms of importance and potential is actually 1) Markstrom 2) Bjugstad and 3) Gudbranson.

Coolburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 11:11 AM
billysbreakdown

vCash: 235
Markström playing right now.

Friendly game with Forsberg, Sedins etc vs. a swedish team for a cancer fund.

I'll give you some thoughts throughout the game if you guys are interested.

billysbreakdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 11:26 AM
billysbreakdown

Mark plays aggressive, unlike the others, even though it's a friendly game. 1-1 so far.

Old
08-13-2010, 12:25 PM
Cosmonaut

Is there any way I can I watch this?

Cosmonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 12:28 PM
billysbreakdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by KungFuFighting View Post
Is there any way I can I watch this?
Don't think so, sorry.

4-3 Västerås at the moment, 3rd period coming.

Old
08-13-2010, 12:40 PM
Cosmonaut

No worries. I personally haven't seen Markstrom play, so I was interested.

Cosmonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 12:55 PM
billysbreakdown

5-3 in favor of the other team.

Markström keeps it solid though, some really good saves.

- Oh, I just noticed he got a new haircut... Got rid of his long wavy... whatever that was.