HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Wellman - Try-out as RW before Bouchard comes back?

Old
08-12-2010, 12:38 PM
nickschultzfan

vCash: 500
Wellman - Try-out as RW before Bouchard comes back?

First, I'm going to admit I don't know the waiver rules with Wellman. I am assuming that he can play up to 10 games for the Wild and be sent down to the AHL without going through waivers. If this is incorrect, please correct me.

Second, I'm assuming Bouchard won't be ready to go immediately. He'll probably need some time before he plays in an NHL game.

So, with those two things in mind, I think it would be wise to move Wellman to RW, put him with Brunette and Koivu, and see if he can make an impact. Miettinen with play RW on the 3rd line.

If, after 10 games or sooner, Wellman clearly needs more seasoning, move him down to the AHL where he'll get top line minutes. Then move Miettinen back up to the 1st line, and put Bouchard on the 3rd line RW when he gets healthy.

If he sticks and starts scoring, keep him up on the Wild and then either trade Miettinen once Bouchard gets back, or send Sheppard through waivers.

Thoughts?

Last edited by nickschultzfan: 08-12-2010 at 12:44 PM.
nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 12:56 PM
saywut

He will be waiver-free all year, regardless of the amount of games he plays. The 10-game rule is for junior eligible players, costing a contract year after 10 games but they can still be sent back to junior at any point.

I'd rather him just head to Houston right at the start, but with Fletcher sending a message along the lines of "the best player will be our first call-up". If Bouchard is injured to start the season I wouldn't mind sticking with 13 forwards for the start, letting Staubitz and Sheppard rotate a 4th line wing spot.

saywut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 01:58 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I don't see the rush in getting prospects up to the NHL to sit in the press box half the time.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 02:46 PM
se7en
infamous...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I don't see the rush in getting prospects up to the NHL to sit in the press box half the time.
I agree, but I think what the OP is getting at is (Assuming he can hang) giving Wellman first line minutes on arguably our best line which needs a speedster/shooter that can hit the net... This is kind of a throw him in the water & see if he can swim approach... It ruined Sheppard, but I think the OP means as purely a trial, not long term unless he proves he can handle it...

I think it's an interesting idea but It's definiltly debatable... I wouldn't mind seeing what a kid with jets can do on the first line, but I also don't want to hinder is development or ruin his confidence if he's just not ready... Also, coming from a college schedule, we need to know that he can handle the riggors of a full NHL season... As much as I'd love to see him playing signifigant minutes with the big club this season, I think it's probably in his best interest to get a full year under his belt in the AHL with maybe some injury call up minutes with the Wild...

With that said, if he blows us away in camp, I have no problem letting him start the season in Minnesota, I just want to make sure he's ready first...

se7en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 02:53 PM
nickschultzfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by se7en View Post
I agree, but I think what the OP is getting at is (Assuming he can hang) giving Wellman first line minutes on arguably our best line which needs a speedster/shooter that can hit the net... This is kind of a throw him in the water & see if he can swim approach... It ruined Sheppard, but I think the OP means as purely a trial, not long term unless he proves he can handle it...

I think it's an interesting idea but It's definiltly debatable... I wouldn't mind seeing what a kid with jets can do on the first line, but I also don't want to hinder is development or ruin his confidence if he's just not ready... Also, coming from a college schedule, we need to know that he can handle the riggors of a full NHL season... As much as I'd love to see him playing signifigant minutes with the big club this season, I think it's probably in his best interest to get a full year under his belt in the AHL with maybe some injury call up minutes with the Wild...

With that said, if he blows us away in camp, I have no problem letting him start the season in Minnesota, I just want to make sure he's ready first...
Correct. I meant keep Wellman up on a trial basis, with the default intention being that we would send him down when Bouchard comes back, but put Wellman in a situation where he can show what he can do.

Sheppard essentially just got 4th line, with some 3rd line, minutes for his entire NHL career.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 03:20 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

That's Richards call depending on how he does in camp. I'm sure if Wellman is ripping it up all the way through camp and preseason, Richards will give him that shot. He and Fletcher want to win more than anything, so there's no reason he won't get that opportunity.

It's just not something I'd get all in a lather about, because the better odds are that Wellman plays top line center in Houston.

Old
08-12-2010, 03:27 PM
Jbcraig1883

It would be nice to see Wellman get Mittens' spot during preseason to see what he can do. If he shows some chemistry and shows up on the scoresheet, why not?

If he earns it, he earns it. But if he doesn't, let him play 18-20 minutes in the AHL.

Jbcraig1883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 04:14 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

i don't know why everyone is so certain mittens is cemented up there by Koivu's side. I mean, I've heard the reasons given but they don't seem rational to me.

rynryn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 04:20 PM
Jbcraig1883

If it isn't Mittens, it'd probably be Kobasew. The problem is Mittens has chemistry with Koivu and Kobasew is more physical so is more versatile on a third line than Mittens is...and I doubt we will see Havlat/Lats broken up.

After last season and the changes made during the offseason, who would you slot in along Bruno/Koivu?

Old
08-12-2010, 04:53 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Because we didn't pick up any top six wingers this offseason and Miettinen was on the top line last year. Maybe Bouchard goes there, but who knows.

Old
08-12-2010, 05:07 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Quick question; what has Wellman done in this league that has shown anyone that he's capable of playing first line minutes? I mean, I like the guy as a prospect and all, but it's starting to get to the point where some need to temper the expectations on this kid. He flashed a few things here and there in his limited time last season, but his game (and frame) still needs a lot of work before he's going to stick as a legitimate NHL player. Let alone a first line type of player.

The way I see it, he doesn't fit on the first line as things stand. The second line is basically set. Therefore, given this kid's skill set, let him get some time down in Houston to gain some confidence and get used to the grind of professional hockey. Injuries, transactions, and production based call-ups are going to happen. If Wellman proves he should be playing on this Wild team; he will. But I just don't see it right now.

this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 05:18 PM
Jbcraig1883

Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
Quick question; what has Wellman done in this league that has shown anyone that he's capable of playing first line minutes? I mean, I like the guy as a prospect and all, but it's starting to get to the point where some need to temper the expectations on this kid. He flashed a few things here and there in his limited time last season, but his game (and frame) still needs a lot of work before he's going to stick as a legitimate NHL player. Let alone a first line type of player.

The way I see it, he doesn't fit on the first line as things stand. The second line is basically set. Therefore, given this kid's skill set, let him get some time down in Houston to gain some confidence and get used to the grind of professional hockey. Injuries, transactions, and production based call-ups are going to happen. If Wellman proves he should be playing on this Wild team; he will. But I just don't see it right now.
I don't think anyone here is stating that, as of right now, he is a first line right winger. What people are suggesting is that he be given a shot to see what he can do...it's really a low-risk opportunity because he either surprises all of us or he goes down and gets seasoned as I think the majority of us feel is what is likely to happen.

I agree with your whole second paragraph. But, I don't feel there is any harm to see what he can do in pre-season on the top line. He has speed, can find open areas and has a shot. Koivu and Bruno are good along the wall and at passing so why not give him a shot there?

Old
08-12-2010, 06:31 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by se7en View Post
This is kind of a throw him in the water & see if he can swim approach... It ruined Sheppard
You simply cannot compare Sheppard and Wellman's development, there is absolutely NOTHING similar there. Shep was thrown to the wolves as a 19-20yro who was completely lost when played with professionals. Wellman is already 23 and his game is very close, if not already NHL ready.

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 07:12 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocksta18 View Post
I don't think anyone here is stating that, as of right now, he is a first line right winger. What people are suggesting is that he be given a shot to see what he can do...it's really a low-risk opportunity because he either surprises all of us or he goes down and gets seasoned as I think the majority of us feel is what is likely to happen.

I agree with your whole second paragraph. But, I don't feel there is any harm to see what he can do in pre-season on the top line. He has speed, can find open areas and has a shot. Koivu and Bruno are good along the wall and at passing so why not give him a shot there?
That's the thing, though. Wellman will be given a shot. In camp and exhibition games leading up to the start of the season. That's the time to show the team what progression he's made over the offseason and if he's prepared to contribute to the big club.

Fletcher apparently wants to try to ice a competitive team this year. And given their start last season and how it essentially killed any shot of contention (no matter how realistic), I'm fairly positive he's not looking to have any experiments going into the year.

For as much as us Wild fans love to rag on Miettinen, he's a known quantity and proven performer on this club. Given his abilities in the defensive aspect of the game in relation to his limited offensive upside, I actually don't mind Miettinen on Koivu's line. If anything, they're maximizing his worth to this club. Others on this roster can create a niche and score on the bottom two lines but I'm quite confident if you move Miettinen off of Koivu's line, he's dead weight. He reduces Mikko's work load in the defensive zone while they're compensating for Bruno's lack of defense skill. Put an outmatched Wellman in his place and you're looking at even more wear on Koivu.

But like I said, if Wellman proves he should be on this roster he will be. But in my opinion based on what I've seen of him in the development camp and last season; he's not there yet. At least not in terms of taking anyone's place on the top line. And this early in his professional career he's worthless outside of lines #1 or #2.

this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 07:31 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

You might as well give Casey the shot to win the job, but there are other options which are also good (Kobasew) before Bouchard comes back. I agree with the people who say that Casey doesn't need to be coddled like Sheppard should have *curses DR* but at the same time if there are better options and players can do a better job than him at the NHL level, then the natural selection will take care of things. I fully expect either Mittens or Kobasew to be the first line RW - I'd really love to see Kobasew in that position - and while Wellman might be better off in the NHL as a winger, with the team's depth he might be better off in Houston unless he can win himself a job in camp.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 07:56 PM
se7en
infamous...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post
You simply cannot compare Sheppard and Wellman's development, there is absolutely NOTHING similar there. Shep was thrown to the wolves as a 19-20yro who was completely lost when played with professionals. Wellman is already 23 and his game is very close, if not already NHL ready.
For what it's worth, I regretted that comparrison right after I wrote it, I really didn't articulate it enough. I just meant that I just didn't want to see a a promising prospect stiffeld by being thrown into a situation he wasn't ready for... First name that popped in my head was Sheppard... Poor comparrison, my bad...

se7en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 08:36 PM
Kari Takko

To me, it doesn't really matter what happens as long as we win. Even if Wellman doesn't make the team out of camp, he'll be one of the first 2 injury replacements. He'll definitely get an opportunity this season. Let's hope he can take advantage of the opportunity.

Kari Takko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 12:07 AM
Jbcraig1883

Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
That's the thing, though. Wellman will be given a shot. In camp and exhibition games leading up to the start of the season. That's the time to show the team what progression he's made over the offseason and if he's prepared to contribute to the big club.

Fletcher apparently wants to try to ice a competitive team this year. And given their start last season and how it essentially killed any shot of contention (no matter how realistic), I'm fairly positive he's not looking to have any experiments going into the year.

For as much as us Wild fans love to rag on Miettinen, he's a known quantity and proven performer on this club. Given his abilities in the defensive aspect of the game in relation to his limited offensive upside, I actually don't mind Miettinen on Koivu's line. If anything, they're maximizing his worth to this club. Others on this roster can create a niche and score on the bottom two lines but I'm quite confident if you move Miettinen off of Koivu's line, he's dead weight. He reduces Mikko's work load in the defensive zone while they're compensating for Bruno's lack of defense skill. Put an outmatched Wellman in his place and you're looking at even more wear on Koivu.

But like I said, if Wellman proves he should be on this roster he will be. But in my opinion based on what I've seen of him in the development camp and last season; he's not there yet. At least not in terms of taking anyone's place on the top line. And this early in his professional career he's worthless outside of lines #1 or #2.
My apologies. I must have done a poor job communicating my point because I agree with your quoted reply 100%. I don't feel that Wellman should stick for the sake of being 23 and more "mature" as some feel. But, if he plays well there throughout training camp and is successful in pre-season games, and Fletcher and Co feel he is ready, then I am fine with it. Just because I don't feel Mittens is a true 1st line winger doesn't mean I think Wellman automatically should be placed there. It just so happens that is the only place I feel he would need to be successful in order to stick with the Wild. I don't want him to play 8-10 minutes on a grinding line, not playing PP, etc. I would rather see him get 18 in Houston, get used to the professional schedule and put on some more weight.

Again, I apologize if my previous posts have made it seem otherwise.

Old
08-13-2010, 06:22 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kari Takko View Post
To me, it doesn't really matter what happens as long as we win. Even if Wellman doesn't make the team out of camp, he'll be one of the first 2 injury replacements. He'll definitely get an opportunity this season. Let's hope he can take advantage of the opportunity.
Amen. Just win baby!

GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 06:24 PM
State of Hockey

I'd love to see Wellman get a chance at RW right away on a scoring line. That's exactly where he should be right now. Let him run and see how he does.

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote