HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kreider interview on Hockeybuzz

Old
08-13-2010, 07:12 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

vCash: 500
Kreider interview on Hockeybuzz

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Julie...Notes/99/29745

If the site doesn't make you gag, they have a lengthy interview w/ Kreider.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 07:27 PM
mrhockey193195

Great Interview, definitely sounds like the last 12 months have been crucial in his development.

mrhockey193195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 08:04 PM
NorthlandPro

One of the recurring themes you see in the recent picks made by Clark is the character traits coming through on the players. You begin to see why he and his staff focused on the players they selected. Finally we are starting to see some of the higher picks pan out. The next couple of years I think will put smiles on Rangers fans faces.

NorthlandPro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 08:13 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Talk about a player that is driven.

This kid gets it, and he's going to be a heck of a player.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 08:42 PM
xxxZENxxx

At that age... to be able to realize his own strengths (size & speed) and be critical of his own weaknesses (using his size to his advantage, finishing ability, etc.) is pretty impressive. I hope this kid turns out to be the star he has the potential to be.

xxxZENxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 09:18 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

Star in the making. This guy has "it".

I Eat Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 10:02 PM
NYRJE

Good interview. This kid has a great attitude and is not afraid to work hard. Those things along with his talent are the makings of what looks like a pretty good prospect for us.

NYRJE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 10:21 PM
josra33

This guy is just oozing character! So glad to have him on my fantasy squad. You guys got one hell of a steal with this pick.

josra33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 10:50 PM
John Torturella

Sounds like his head is in the right place. He has had a ton of success and doesn't seem to let it go to his head.

Although Im not sure about the whole idea that leaving college was not up for debate because of the social life. There are some more important things than getting plastered at college parties. Sorry, negativity around here seems necessary.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 11:41 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Its entirely possible to enjoy college life without getting drunk at parties, and doing other foolish things.

I'm sure, from everything we know about him, that he's smarter then that, too.

Let him work hard and enjoy one last year of his college career.

No doubt he will turn pro next summer.

Old
08-13-2010, 11:46 PM
beastly115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korpicowski View Post
Sounds like his head is in the right place. He has had a ton of success and doesn't seem to let it go to his head.

Although Im not sure about the whole idea that leaving college was not up for debate because of the social life. There are some more important things than getting plastered at college parties. Sorry, negativity around here seems necessary.
The kid just wants to have some fun. College is a once in a lifetime experience and I don't blame him for staying.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 11:46 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Another thing, and totally un-hockey related...

After this year, he will be two years away from a BA, from a very prestigious school.

After hockey, he can come back to that, finish his last two years, and have a long career in what ever his major is.

We know he is a serious student. And a very serious athlete. He has his head on straight. I wouldn't worry about this particular player getting caught up in bad things off the ice.

Old
08-14-2010, 02:06 AM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

He did say he has much work to do on the skill side, especially his hands. So its good he stayed in school. Best to continue the learning process. It puts the D'amigo Maple Leaf signing into much clearer perspective, thats for sure.

Not to mention the university isn't really for the classes (although they help) its about the quality of people you meet. He is in a great situation in the world class city of Boston with access to some of the best people life has to offer.

By continuing his school he is going to learn about more than "just" hockey. And he can participate in the various tourneys as a guy who isn't a rookie or the "new" guy.

What I did like about his comments was how he focused on his goal of being a checker for the junior team. He knew the top 6 were spoken for... that says a lot about someone his age. He seems to have a good head on his shoulders.

as rangers fans we have much to look forward to with this guy. Lets hope he really turns into a special player. Lord knows we need those kinds of players in Ranger blue

donpaulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2010, 05:30 AM
dynamoovechkin

Quote:
There are some more important things than getting plastered at college parties
Oh, wait, no there aren't...

dynamoovechkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2010, 07:17 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Just because the kid shows character, or whatever the hell "it" is, doesn't necessarily mean hes going to be a stud.

If a Chris Drury like player was coming up in our system I suppose wed all be in love with him.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2010, 07:42 AM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
Just because the kid shows character, or whatever the hell "it" is, doesn't necessarily mean hes going to be a stud.

If a Chris Drury like player was coming up in our system I suppose wed all be in love with him.
Not necessarily, but he's the type of player that win teams cups. It's up to whoever the GM is in the next 5-7 years to surround these character guys with skill guys to get points on the board to help out the defense and goalie. If not, we'll continue to have the same problems scoring goals that we've had recently. But I digress.

The sky is the limit for Kreider, and though he has more potential than Drury, I'd be more than happy with Drury numbers from his days in Buffalo from Kreider in his prime.

I Eat Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2010, 07:57 AM
Levitate

Chris Drury in his prime was a damn good player so yeah I'd be happy to have a guy like him in the system.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2010, 09:04 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

The best players in the NHL are the best players in the NHL because they work harder then everyone else.

When a player is never satisfied and always sees room for improvement, its a good sign.

Can't wait for his 2010-2011 season.

Old
08-14-2010, 09:11 AM
beastly115

Quote:

I'd be more than happy if Kreider turned into a Drury type player.

Sure Drury is overpaid and has gone downhill but in his prime he was solid.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2010, 09:17 AM
pld459666

just finished reading gthe article and was going to post it here as well.

Julie is an awesome hockey fan and her vlogs are great and this Q&A was no less awesome.

I'm really excited that Kreider stayed in college for the right reasons, getting better in all aspects of his game.

Looking so forward to seeing him in a Rangers Jersey everyday.

My gut tells me he doesn't play a day in Hartford.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2010, 10:34 AM
Edge

Quote:

I don't know if I see him in the Drury mold. I've always likened him to an Amonte type winger myself.

Having said that, I think people are excited because he's a pretty big kid with elite level wheels and a game that is starting to take shape enough that you can imagine what he might be.

Obviously, none of this ensures that he will be a star. But you have to admit that there aren't many 6'2-6'3, 210-220 pound players who can move like he does. It's a very unique skill set and if his hands can keep up, look out.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2010, 11:01 AM
Blueblood 2

Great interview. Stay healthy, kid!

Blueblood 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2010, 12:11 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
I don't know if I see him in the Drury mold. I've always likened him to an Amonte type winger myself.

Having said that, I think people are excited because he's a pretty big kid with elite level wheels and a game that is starting to take shape enough that you can imagine what he might be.

Obviously, none of this ensures that he will be a star. But you have to admit that there aren't many 6'2-6'3, 210-220 pound players who can move like he does. It's a very unique skill set and if his hands can keep up, look out.
Actually, it's all this plus the character and the work ethic that excites me. I think he's got a chance to be special.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2010, 12:54 PM
JimmyStart*

I would have no problem announcing him my pick to be the best of our prospects (B/t Artem, MDZ, MZA, grachev, Stepan, McD, Mcl) but really all of these guys are either exceeding expectations or have tremendous character and lkeadership or both so it seems almost impossible to predict one over the other. If you REALLY think about it Kreider and Grachev have done the least of out of our prospects but due to their youth and sample size their potential seems as high or higher than anyones. It's a unique situation for this organization that's for sure.

This article really gives you a feel for the fact that he is still just a kid and he's learning the game. They make it sound like hockey was almost just 1b to him with roller which means there might be a higher ceiling due to inexperience depending on how he picks up the game.

his work ethic is obviously outsstanding but word of caution we have to wait through this whole year and possib ly the next before annointing him anything. He needs to demonstrate he's picked up a lot otherwise I give him no chance to be an elite player. However he certainly can become a secondary scorer 30+ goal 50-60 pt guy perennially which i'd be ecstatic about.

I think this year is crucial I hope he displaces someone on the top 6 and scores all season to fight for the goal scoring lead in the nation. That's obviously very hefty expectation but if he's to be an elite guy like a lot of us hope he should pull it off. His D and assists need to go up too but by all reports both aspects of his game away from the puck improved drastically because of his work ethic and ability. Just like with grachev I hope to see him consistently playing top minutes and scoring throughout the season. And no injury.

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2010, 02:07 PM
missionaborted

Sounds like this kid has things together pretty well... going to be a great player in the future.

The only small thing that made me groan was the part about St. John, New Brunswick. I know he never really considered playing with the Sea Dogs in the Q, but the "French" reason for not coming to play QMJHL was pretty weak... "Completely French" in St. John????

missionaborted is offline   Reply With Quote