HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Transitioning from inline to ice: equipment ideas?

Old
08-11-2010, 01:16 AM
Chobomin

vCash: 500
Transitioning from inline to ice: equipment ideas?

I've been playing in a local roller league for a couple seasons now, and we crashed out of the playoffs last Sunday. We play on one of the crappier tiers so none of us are anything special.

A couple of guys on the team invited me for ice, and I'm eager to join them this September.

A bit about myself: I am a 5'9", 170lbs RHS forward who plays on the off-wing in roller. I'm a damn good face-off man, I'm a PPG player (which is nothing to sneeze at in a high scoring game like roller) and I do all the little things to help the team (shot blocking, physical defensive play, etc.). I would compare myself to a Ryan Johnson, except I don't get injured

Since the season will start in a matter of weeks, I would like to order equipment online in the next few days (most likely from hockeymonkey, I bought my roller stuff from them a few years back and it was a good experience). Some of the stuff I already have, but I do need a whole bunch of other stuff, and I have no idea what to get.

Caveat: I will be looking in the clearance section for the majority to save on some money; cheap and serviceable is my MO here.

The essentials (I must buy these to play in the ice league)

Shoulder pads:

RBK 3K Sr.
CCM V04 Sr.

Both are 29.99, but both are available in Small only. Do you think I can get away with Small? Or are these trash and I should pay a bit more for better models? Or can I even go for Jr. Large?

Hockey pants:

CCI V06 Sr.

49.99, Medium should fit me just fine. How are these?

Hockey socks:

Absolutely no idea... recommendations?

The upgrades (I would like to upgrade some/all of these from my current roller gear)

Helmet:

Been using a cheapo CCM for the past few years, quite uncomfortable foaming and poor ventilation. May be willing to spend a bit for a good item with a shield (don't really like cage). SO many choices out there!

Shin guards:

Could use a simple upgrade.

Elbow pads:

See above.

Gloves:

The left glove has a hole in it I'm wearing 13" but I think I can use 12" without any problems (thus go for Jr.'s?).

Sticks:

Currently using a RBK 6K (87 flex, though I prefer a lesser flex) and liking it. Wouldn't mind putting another 60+ bucks towards another new stick.

Thanks for helping out this newbie. I don't want to spend too much, as hockey is simply a fun game/exercise for me.

Chobomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 01:33 AM
pass the bisk

Shoulder pads - When buying lower end shoulder pads, there isn't going to be too big of a difference. Rule of thumb: anything rbk is typically better. Also, I doubt a small would work.

Elbows - RBK's are really good. I have 6ks and they work fine.

Shins - Go to a store and try different brands on then try to find the lower end model.

Gloves - hockeygiant has some cheap pairs of gloves on sale right now. By cheap I mean less than 40. I would recommend the Bauers.

Helmets - For under 50 bucks you can get a good bauer or rbk helmet online. bauer 5500 or rbk 6k would be a good investment.

Visors - Unless you play in a highly skilled league, I would stick with a cage. Worse players are sloppier and can not control shots as well.

Sticks - For under 100 bucks you can't really get a very good stick. The exception to that being the Bauer X:40 which is right around 100. hockeygiant has easton s11s for 70 bucks and those are decent for that price range, however, they do break easily.

Pants- ccm's are good. the mediums should work fine.

Socks - Any will do as long as they are senior size.

pass the bisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 02:01 AM
Lososaurus

For what it's worth, my Easton ST16 elbow pads have never slipped, are made out of adamantium and fit like a glove. Totally worth the price.

Though, the thing you should splurge on is a helmet. Need to keep your brain meat inside your skull.

ptb makes a good point about cages too. If you have to use a shield, use a full shield, no sense in getting any uglier unless you're in the NHL.

For pants, if you need suspenders, I'd advise against RBK's and CCM; Their attachment points have a tendency to pull out from the pants.

Shins tend to run wide or thin from company to company, kind of like skates, find what suits you.

Lososaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 02:42 AM
izzy3

Shoulder pads: CCM V04 Sr.
I have them and I am a little smaller than you (5'8", 160). small will not fit you unless you have all your weight on your legs, and you have an upper body of a 12 year old girl.

Hockey pants: CCI V06 Sr.
i have em too, def worth the price, i used them one season (2-3 skates a week), they still look like new, although ive put them to the test (fell and blocked a few shots, never felt anything) i have size M should be fine for you too.

Hockey socks:
does not really matter. some like it loose som like it tighter. i use jr size, as they're tight and hold my shins in position, do not have to tape them

Helmet:
same here, i narrowed it down to the Bauer 5100, CCM V08 and Easton S9. easton's is not easily adjustable, but the coolest looking helmet of the three. shield is pretty taste dependent, so that's up to you.

Shin guards:
id go for this one, last year's top shin from ccm for the price of a current midline 07

Elbow pads:
reeboks 6K is great. i have a ccm v08 but after trying my buddy's 6K i will sell my ccm and buy a 6K.

Gloves:
12" is too small. i had one when starting out (it was cheap) it's not just the palm, the glove should be long enough to protect your arm up till the elbow pads take over. i just recently got these but over at hockeyworld as they cost only 49.99 there. you save 30 bucks.

Sticks:
for that money and your size I'd try this, i found intermediate sticks better for my size.

good luck, and let us know how it went.

izzy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 02:16 PM
Chobomin

Thanks for all the advice so far, guys.

I think I will splurge on the helmet, and buy on the cheap for the other stuff.

Also looking at a S11 Int. stick for 60 bucks on hockey giant, good stick?

Besides hockeymonkey, hockeygiant, what are some decently priced online shops? Coupon codes would be a bonus.

Old
08-11-2010, 02:29 PM
WickedWrister

Quote:
Originally Posted by tappy View Post
Thanks for all the advice so far, guys.

I think I will splurge on the helmet, and buy on the cheap for the other stuff.

Also looking at a S11 Int. stick for 60 bucks on hockey giant, good stick?

Besides hockeymonkey, hockeygiant, what are some decently priced online shops? Coupon codes would be a bonus.
I can't comment on your other equipment, but I would highly recommend the s11 int. It's what I use and I loved it. Heatley blade is amazing. I got the grip version for the same price too.

WickedWrister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 03:54 PM
Chobomin

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedWrister View Post
I can't comment on your other equipment, but I would highly recommend the s11 int. It's what I use and I loved it. Heatley blade is amazing. I got the grip version for the same price too.
Good to know. I'm gonna pick one up for sure.

Old
08-11-2010, 04:09 PM
dabeechman

I was in your same situation 3 months ago. I already had a decent helmet. So I went middle of the road on shins/elbows and high end on shoulders and pants since I felt that I would be doing a lot of falling.

I found my best prices at total hockey due to their free shipping and I believe it was 30% off promo code. Another GREAT site is icewarehouse with awesome customer service which had similar prices, but I would have had to pay sales tax since I am only 30 miles from them.

dabeechman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 04:41 PM
Chobomin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabeechman View Post
I was in your same situation 3 months ago. I already had a decent helmet. So I went middle of the road on shins/elbows and high end on shoulders and pants since I felt that I would be doing a lot of falling.

I found my best prices at total hockey due to their free shipping and I believe it was 30% off promo code. Another GREAT site is icewarehouse with awesome customer service which had similar prices, but I would have had to pay sales tax since I am only 30 miles from them.
Can you let me know where you found the 30% promo code for total hockey? Sounds like a great deal if I can get it.

Old
08-11-2010, 07:06 PM
thefeebster

Quote:
Caveat: I will be looking in the clearance section for the majority to save on some money; cheap and serviceable is my MO here.

The essentials (I must buy these to play in the ice league)

Shoulder pads:

RBK 3K Sr.
CCM V04 Sr.

Both are 29.99, but both are available in Small only. Do you think I can get away with Small? Or are these trash and I should pay a bit more for better models? Or can I even go for Jr. Large?

Hockey pants:

CCI V06 Sr.

49.99, Medium should fit me just fine. How are these?

Hockey socks:

Absolutely no idea... recommendations?
Ooo Tappy, you are from Coquitlam. I think you should take a stop by The Hockey Shop in Surrey. They are having a decent sale.

I know your budget for shoulders seems to be $30. But i saw Mediums to XXL in Bauer Pro Defenders for $49.99 at THS. Regular Price is $200... so its a deal to be had. If i didn't already have a pair of shoulders, i'd pick one up. Most ppl really like them. http://www.hockeymonkey.com/nike-bau...fender-sr.html

And they also had some lower end models for less than $50, but better than the ones you listed. I think I saw a Rbk by Jofa 5K Shoulders for $30 at THS. Looks like this: http://www.hockeymonkey.com/rbk-hock...ads-5k-sr.html

I don't know what your preference is on used, but i saw used Tacklas 5000 on Craigslist yesterday for $25. Looked to be in a good condition and no it wasn't me selling. So personally, i wouldn't mind looking there as well.

Also, Sportchek is clearing out most gear from '09. Yes, i know they used to have poor selection, but they recently turned into Hockey Experts in most locations; i believe the Lougheed location is as well. Free Sharpening till the end on this month - they may have Flat Bottom V at Lougheed so its worth a try for free.

For my helmet, i just got a new one. The Pro Stock Mission Intake EPP from Hockeymonkey. Many people consider it one of the better ventilated helmets and its a decent weight - no the lightest, but not heavy either. And its pretty cheap since they are being cleared out.

Last edited by thefeebster: 08-11-2010 at 07:12 PM.
thefeebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 12:44 AM
Chobomin

Well, I was browsing on the local craigslist yesterday and I found a whole bunch of stuff. One guy was selling a whole lot of things, and the prices were right, so I met up with him a few hours ago. Turns out he works at his dad's hockey shop and a lot of stuff, which he only used a few times (look in very good condition) were available. Here's what I bought, for a total of $200:

One90 stick 77 flex (Iginla)
Eagle X70 gloves
Mission Intake helmet with Oakley half shield
Nike XXX Lite pants

All are in pretty excellent condition and odors are minimal

Just need to score some shoulder pads and I'm good to go!

Old
08-14-2010, 02:07 PM
AZcoyotes
So... Now what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tappy View Post
Well, I was browsing on the local craigslist yesterday and I found a whole bunch of stuff. One guy was selling a whole lot of things, and the prices were right, so I met up with him a few hours ago. Turns out he works at his dad's hockey shop and a lot of stuff, which he only used a few times (look in very good condition) were available. Here's what I bought, for a total of $200:

One90 stick 77 flex (Iginla)
Eagle X70 gloves
Mission Intake helmet with Oakley half shield
Nike XXX Lite pants

All are in pretty excellent condition and odors are minimal

Just need to score some shoulder pads and I'm good to go!
Nice buy

AZcoyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2010, 03:09 AM
Chobomin

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhXcoyotes View Post
Nice buy
Indeed.

I was called in to sub in for a 3rd place game on another team in my roller hockey league, I managed to score 2 (one was a really sweet drive to the net, deked the goalie until he was down and out, then slid it past him forehand) and assisted on another. Unfortunately we only had 6 (!) players and due to our short bench we lost 6-5.

I felt that with the One90 I had a better slapper (which I don't use often since it usually sucks ) and better stickhandling/passing, but my wrister seems to suffer (harder to elevate the puck).

The gloves and helmet are great.