HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

We have $4,700,000.00 in cap space left

Old
08-14-2010, 02:11 PM
GordonGraham

vCash: 500
Beside Price no one will get signed and the Molson Bros will just make more profit

GordonGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2010, 02:56 PM
LaurentHabs
Galchenyuk2Collberg

IMO if we could sign Raffi Torres, i'd Love to see Torres-Eller-Lapierre.

But i doubt he takes a 1.5M'ish Salary

LaurentHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2010, 03:05 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurentHabs View Post

Hard to figure with some of these guys who are leftover now... not a lot of spots open. If Moore took $1/$1.1M, I don't see why Torres couldn't be desperate enough for less than $1.5M. His value must have really plunged after he got traded. Some of these guys need to be ready to adjust their sights to the moving targets, or they're going to get left behind when the music stops for good...

I wouldn't mind finding just that 1 more guy who really was desperate to sign for a bargain. Could be an Asham on the pure-banger level, Torres, Halpern - pending his current health, even Begin out there he was so good at first for us. Richard Park always seems to work his butt off too. But I figure if the Habs weren't even going to look at Metro or Moore, then they're not looking at bringing anybody new in either. No biggie, it's nice for the young players to have something immediate to realistically strive for in camp too.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2010, 03:35 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurentHabs View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Hard to figure with some of these guys who are leftover now... not a lot of spots open. If Moore took $1/$1.1M, I don't see why Torres couldn't be desperate enough for less than $1.5M. His value must have really plunged after he got traded. Some of these guys need to be ready to adjust their sights to the moving targets, or they're going to get left behind when the music stops for good...

I wouldn't mind finding just that 1 more guy who really was desperate to sign for a bargain. Could be an Asham on the pure-banger level, Torres, Halpern - pending his current health, even Begin out there he was so good at first for us. Richard Park always seems to work his butt off too. But I figure if the Habs weren't even going to look at Metro or Moore, then they're not looking at bringing anybody new in either. No biggie, it's nice for the young players to have something immediate to realistically strive for in camp too.
Torres would be a good choice, but there's a reason he isn't in demand. Apparently after being traded to buffalo he was brutal and I'm not sure about this, but even to the point he was a healthy scratch. I'd take him and offer him a one-year deal and tell him, there's spots available on the first 3 lines as AK and Pouliot are young and haven't developed consistency yet, so there is openings if his play merits it. If not, he can play 3rd/4th line. Torres made 2.25 last year and didn't exactly improve his stats. Not to mention, this 2.25 a year deal was signed when he was still in edmonton, 1 year after his 27 goal season. 1.5 a year on a 1 year deal is very possible right now.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2010, 03:49 PM
Joey

Send a message via MSN to Joey
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGraham View Post
Beside Price no one will get signed and the Molson Bros will just make more profit
...or leave us in a better position to make a deadline trade?

Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2010, 04:48 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
...or leave us in a better position to make a deadline trade?
The flip side if you sign a veteran/depth guy now is that if you're out of it at the deadline (few teams are anymore of course) you can make a trade too... Dominic Moore to _____ for a 2nd round pick, say?

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2010, 07:45 PM
Joey

Send a message via MSN to Joey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
The flip side if you sign a veteran/depth guy now is that if you're out of it at the deadline (few teams are anymore of course) you can make a trade too... Dominic Moore to _____ for a 2nd round pick, say?
Yeah but in our case it just doesn't make sense. We have Eller, Pacioretty, White, Maxwell, Darche, Pyatt and potentially Desharnais (that's 7 guys) fighting for 3 spots. Not to mention Weber and Carle, who could use some NHL time to gauge their development and/or worth to the team, are not even inside of our top 7 defenseman. There is no need, or room, for a cheap depth signing in any way/shape/form. Pocketing the cap space is the only logical move right now, in my opinion. Aside from my view that adding another depth guy is only adding wood to the logjam, the cap space we save now might be one hell of an earned blessing come 7 months from now

Joey is offline   Reply With Quote