HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who do you want?

Old
08-14-2010, 10:38 AM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

vCash: 500
and the hockey buzz article:
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=12395

with this tidbit:
A Nashville station has gone on record as saying they received confirmation from a source within the Preds organization that there have been talks with Washington regarding Ovechkin.

dunno if they were talking to a front office guy or partner, but someone was talking about it

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2010, 10:48 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds9 View Post
Ovie. I know im going to get bashed for this one, but hear me out.

Yes, he has no class. Yes, his antics get old. But this city needs a star player that brings media attention. The Preds need the publicity, and Ovie would bring both that and a superstar scorer.
The guy that put the dagger in the heart of the US at the Vancouver Games wouldn't bring publicity? We'd be on national TV every other week.

Sure Ovechkin has more individual hardware, but Crosby has a Stanley Cup and Olympic Gold. He's a natural leader, a clutch player, and a much better fit for our organization's culture. Ovechkin is an overgrown child, and he plays like one: he runs opposing players, takes stupid penalties, and can't stop running his mouth. Nashville doesn't take very kindly to those kinds of athletes, regardless of how talented they may be. If you want someone who's marketable in this part of the country, you go with the humble (at least on camera) professional.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2010, 10:51 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin16182 View Post
What are the chances you guys dont sign him once he becomes a RFA and let the Wings replace Lidstrom with him?
About the same odds of you spontaneously changing genders and then winning American Idol with no voice box.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2010, 01:01 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
The guy that put the dagger in the heart of the US at the Vancouver Games wouldn't bring publicity? We'd be on national TV every other week.

Sure Ovechkin has more individual hardware, but Crosby has a Stanley Cup and Olympic Gold. He's a natural leader, a clutch player, and a much better fit for our organization's culture. Ovechkin is an overgrown child, and he plays like one: he runs opposing players, takes stupid penalties, and can't stop running his mouth. Nashville doesn't take very kindly to those kinds of athletes, regardless of how talented they may be. If you want someone who's marketable in this part of the country, you go with the humble (at least on camera) professional.
obviously crosby is choice 1a for this but I think you are overestimating Ovechkins negatives.

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2010, 04:46 PM
lightning_legwand*

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
No, I think he would wear out his welcome pretty quickly in Nashville, certainly with the coaches if not with the fans.
Yeah, I hear ya. I would be pretty upset if we had Ovechkin too...

Have you gone mad!?!?!?!

My pick is either Toews or Sid the Kid.

lightning_legwand* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2010, 06:31 PM
hockey diva

Nash or Zetterburg. Someone who can score and play good d.

hockey diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2010, 08:59 PM
Dustin16182

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
About the same odds of you spontaneously changing genders and then winning American Idol with no voice box.
What if we traded Rafalski + Defensive prospect + pick for Weber? would u take it?

Dustin16182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2010, 09:02 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
What if we traded Rafalski + Defensive prospect + pick for Weber? would u take it?
If you made an offer like that again someone here might do the sexual reassignment surgery for you with a chainsaw.

Old
08-14-2010, 09:10 PM
Dustin16182

Quote:
If you made an offer like that again someone here might do the sexual reassignment surgery for you with a chainsaw.
haha yea, probably a bad idea to offer trade ideas to a team for their star player. I'd probably say no to anything anyone offered for Zetterburg or Datsyuk. I'm just a huge Weber fan and it would be a dream to have that guy playing on the wings blue line.

Old
08-14-2010, 09:13 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
haha yea, probably a bad idea to offer trade ideas to a team for their star player. I'd probably say no to anything anyone offered for Zetterburg or Datsyuk. I'm just a huge Weber fan and it would be a dream to have that guy playing on the wings blue line.
Dreams are nice but reality is reality. And in the case of sports 99% of the time you deal in reality. The other 1% is when your team wins.

Old
08-14-2010, 09:21 PM
Dustin16182

Quote:
Dreams are nice but reality is reality. And in the case of sports 99% of the time you deal in reality. The other 1% is when your team wins.
This is kind of off topic, but I guess I'll just ask. What are the Predators needs as far as depth go? Wings are shopping around a bottom 6 forward (Miller or Ritola) and a bottom pairing Dman (Meech). Miller is a great PKer IMO and grinder, with really no scoring upside, except every once in a while. Ritola is a prospect, and Meech is a quick puck moving Dman.

I'd expect very little in return for any of those 3 mentioned btw from whoever takes them.

Old
08-14-2010, 09:22 PM
Legionnaire11

I think i'd puke if I ever saw Weber in a wangs jersey

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2010, 09:26 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
This is kind of off topic, but I guess I'll just ask. What are the Predators needs as far as depth go? Wings are shopping around a bottom 6 forward (Miller or Ritola) and a bottom pairing Dman (Meech). Miller is a great PKer IMO and grinder, with really no scoring upside, except every once in a while. Ritola is a prospect, and Meech is a quick puck moving Dman.

I'd expect very little in return for any of those 3 mentioned btw from whoever takes them.
In order:

Vet backup goalie who will play max 10-15 games and must win at least 50% of them hopefully more.

Vet d-man. Defensive minded preferred. Must be able to eat 18 minutes a game.

Top line center maybe but the forward positions for Nashville are crowded.

Old
08-14-2010, 09:30 PM
Dustin16182

Quote:
In order:

Vet backup goalie who will play max 10-15 games and must win at least 50% of them hopefully more.

Vet d-man. Defensive minded preferred. Must be able to eat 18 minutes a game.

Top line center maybe but the forward positions for Nashville are crowded.
Oh gotchya, yea we dont have much to offer then. Maybe Willie Mitchell and Jose Theodore would be some good pickups? If you needed it, Stepniak might be another good steal from Phoenix. You have the cap to make it work!

Old
08-14-2010, 09:52 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Oh gotchya, yea we dont have much to offer then. Maybe Willie Mitchell and Jose Theodore would be some good pickups? If you needed it, Stepniak might be another good steal from Phoenix. You have the cap to make it work!
cap room, yes. internal budget room, no.

Theo is a possibility, but hed have to sign for Turco money or less.

Old
08-14-2010, 09:55 PM
Dustin16182

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
cap room, yes. internal budget room, no.

Theo is a possibility, but hed have to sign for Turco money or less.
By Internal budget room, do you mean you need to make sure there is cap room for next year? I think you could get Jose for Turco money or less. Sure he had 30 wins, but that was for a team that could outscore other teams despite Jose's 2.81 GAA. With Mitchell, you could sign him for a 1 year contract worth 2-3 million.

Old
08-14-2010, 10:00 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
By Internal budget room, do you mean you need to make sure there is cap room for next year? I think you could get Jose for Turco money or less. Sure he had 30 wins, but that was for a team that could outscore other teams despite Jose's 2.81 GAA. With Mitchell, you could sign him for a 1 year contract worth 2-3 million.
no. we have to spend at or below the cap midpoint to qualify for full revenue sharing.

so our internal budget is around 48 million. if we go over it it not only costs us the extra money paid to the player, but we get less rev sharing$$

we probably have about 2 million total to sign two players