HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Coaching staff complete - Kompon and Ranford agree to new contracts

Old
08-10-2010, 01:12 AM
MxK1NGS

vCash: 500
Coaching staff complete - Kompon and Ranford agree to new contracts

I don't think I have seen a thread for this. Lock it up if there has been.

complete/http://lakingsinsider.com/2010/08/03...taff-complete/

Well Kompom is back..

MxK1NGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 10:33 AM
Defgarden

Kompon has taken a beating from fans in the past for our poor PP. But when our PP was halfway decent, he never gets the praise. I'm not saying he's the best guy in the world, but I don't think he's generally the reason for the team's shortcomings.

Defgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 10:38 AM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Oh so this is what DL has been working on all summer?

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 10:59 AM
Defgarden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
Oh so this is what DL has been working on all summer?
And that big trade he's working on? Yea, that's right. They're switching to waterless urinals at the office.

Defgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 11:17 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Nah, DL was working on the coup of the century to land Luongo. He orchestrated a scheme to get the Kovalchuk contract set up so the league would reject it, causing a ripple affect where Loungo will also have his contract rejected, thus becoming a UFA. The same will occur with Pronger and Hossa as well. DL will then swoop in and sign them, along with Kovalchuk. As we have all pointed out, we need a top four d-man, a starting goaltender, a goalscorer and a second line center, and this will fill all the holes, minus the center, but the thinking is that with that line up, you could put Opee on the second line and he'd look like Niklas Backstrom.

Btw, that all comes with several 's attached. Several.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 11:26 AM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Doughty8 View Post
I don't think I have seen a thread for this. Lock it up if there has been.

complete/http://lakingsinsider.com/2010/08/03...taff-complete/

Well Kompom is back..
Predictable, just like our PP, stuck to the half-wall, throw it up top and try to get it on net. ZZZzzzzzzzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
Nah, DL was working on the coup of the century to land Luongo. He orchestrated a scheme to get the Kovalchuk contract set up so the league would reject it, causing a ripple affect where Loungo will also have his contract rejected, thus becoming a UFA. The same will occur with Pronger and Hossa as well. DL will then swoop in and sign them, along with Kovalchuk. As we have all pointed out, we need a top four d-man, a starting goaltender, a goalscorer and a second line center, and this will fill all the holes, minus the center, but the thinking is that with that line up, you could put Opee on the second line and he'd look like Niklas Backstrom.
Rumor is that Opee has a hell of a snap shot!

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 03:43 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post
Predictable, just like our PP, stuck to the half-wall, throw it up top and try to get it on net. ZZZzzzzzzzz

Rumor is that Opee has a hell of a snap shot!
According to the scouting report his backhand is Sundin caliber.

Old
08-15-2010, 02:49 PM
Randart

Well at Least we got a couple more signed up...

Kompon to me is serviceable and he runs a good practice even if its not as creative or effective as we would like. Talent and skill will win you alot of special teams points we just need a few more prospects to pan out that we don't release or trade!~
As it seems getting them via free agency does not work out much...

As for Billy Ranford I have always respected him as a professional and love what I have read about him as a mentor, tutor, & Coach! He is an awesome guy, and I think every goalie that has passed thru or is in our org would agree! Having Hexy around is good for our young players too! He was a good goalie and passionate player, I may not agree with him but he does stand by his words and I admire that. I like what these guys instill in our young net minders!

Randart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2010, 02:53 PM
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go

Send a message via MSN to Kurrilino
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randart View Post
Kompon to me is serviceable and he runs a good practice even if its not as creative or effective as we would like. Talent and skill will win you alot of special teams points we just need a few more prospects to pan out that we don't release or trade!~
As it seems getting them via free agency does not work out much...

As for Billy Ranford I have always respected him as a professional and love what I have read about him as a mentor, tutor, & Coach! He is an awesome guy, and I think every goalie that has passed thru or is in our org would agree! Having Hexy around is good for our young players too! He was a good goalie and passionate player, I may not agree with him but he does stand by his words and I admire that. I like what these guys instill in our young net minders!

??????????????
So why do you like him as our PP coach ??????

Kurrilino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2010, 03:08 PM
Randart

I will answer you this one time mate...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurrilino View Post
??????????????
So why do you like him as our PP coach ??????

I usually don't get into a rolling discourse when someone wants to or seems to want to get a arguement going butt...

I for one did not say I liked him as our pp coach I just don't hate it! Also I think he does not have the talent to work with to have a top ten pp... simple or what I was trying to say in a kindly way. Also I think he does run a good practice as I have watched him do it live a few times.

I think his system would look a lot better with more talent! Who knows maybe this season will see some improvements. The lads have had more time to play together now. There you have it best I can answer your question if you really care about my opinions...???

Randart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2010, 08:29 PM
BallPointHammer
Franchise Enforcer

Just the facts ..... 2009-10 NHL team PP stats (from nhl.com)

Kings total PP chances=307, rank=tie 17th, league average=304.5
Kings total PP goals=64, rank=5th, league average=55.5
Kings PP%=20.85%, rank=7th, league average=18.21%
Kings SH goals against=6, rank=tie 11th (fewest), league average=6.4

Here's the real kicker though:
Washington had the best PP% at 25.24%
Montreal was second at 21.84%
If the Kings had scored 3 more PP goals (67/307) they would have finished with a PP% of 21.82%, essentially tied for second in the league

Conclusion: even though the Kings could improve their PP, last season they did pretty well nonetheless

BallPointHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2010, 09:15 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by BallPointHammer View Post
Kings total PP chances=307, rank=tie 17th, league average=304.5
Kings total PP goals=64, rank=5th, league average=55.5
Kings PP%=20.85%, rank=7th, league average=18.21%
Kings SH goals against=6, rank=tie 11th (fewest), league average=6.4

Here's the real kicker though:
Washington had the best PP% at 25.24%
Montreal was second at 21.84%
If the Kings had scored 3 more PP goals (67/307) they would have finished with a PP% of 21.82%, essentially tied for second in the league

Conclusion: even though the Kings could improve their PP, last season they did pretty well nonetheless

You forgot to add the playoff stats, since Murray finally put Doughty and Johnson out there instead of Stoll:

10 for 26 = 38.5%

The Kings should be able to push 25%+ if Doughty and Johnson are kept together all season.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2010, 09:28 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Is it really Kompon's fault that Stoll shanks his shots wide every so often? Like it or not, even though he shoots a lot of shots wide, Stoll probably has (or had) the hardest shot from the point.

The PP started to improve a lot when Handzus was inserted onto the top PP unit, then improved even further when Stoll was replaced by Johnson on the point and the Kings kept going to Doughty for the big blast from the blueline. The coaches made the proper adjustments, and it showed during the playoffs.

It will be interesting to see what John Stevens brings behind the bench next season.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2010, 11:25 PM
MxK1NGS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Is it really Kompon's fault that Stoll shanks his shots wide every so often? Like it or not, even though he shoots a lot of shots wide, Stoll probably has (or had) the hardest shot from the point.

The PP started to improve a lot when Handzus was inserted onto the top PP unit, then improved even further when Stoll was replaced by Johnson on the point and the Kings kept going to Doughty for the big blast from the blueline. The coaches made the proper adjustments, and it showed during the playoffs.

It will be interesting to see what John Stevens brings behind the bench next season.
Is Stevens our D coach?

MxK1NGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 12:45 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Doughty8 View Post
Is Stevens our D coach?
Yes. He replaces Hardy.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 01:14 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
I think the success of the powerplay last season was a direct result of the kids getting that extra year of experience and the addition of our veterans. I think our players and chemistry just got that much better, because our strategy sure as hell didn't change.

Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 02:07 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post

If he is our PP coach and is putting Stoll out there on the PP then wouldn't it be his fault somewhat?

Old
08-16-2010, 02:19 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
If he is our PP coach and is putting Stoll out there on the PP then wouldn't it be his fault somewhat?
The season prior, Stoll was 2nd on the Kings with 10 PPGs. He also had more shots on goal than any defenseman. In fact, the dman with the most amount of shots that season was Kyle Quincey, so I can see why the Kings felt that Stoll should be on the PP.

You also have to consider that Johnson wasn't very good at getting his shot through on net until the later parts of the season when he finally figured throwing a wrister on net is just as if not more effective than winding up for a big blast. Johnson had more missed shots than Stoll. Surprisingly, Stoll was 5th on the Kings in total missed shots.

Next season will be more telling in understanding how good the PP can be with Johnson playing on the top unit. I still think he is a work in progress, but he is starting to put it all together. Hopefully this is the season where everything clicks for him. If the players perform well, they are showing their abilities and what they are capable of. And when they don't perform, naturally it is the coaches fault.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote