HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Coaching staff complete - Kompon and Ranford agree to new contracts

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-10-2010, 01:12 AM
  #1
MxK1NGS
Registered User
 
MxK1NGS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Santa Clarita, CA
Posts: 2,828
vCash: 500
Coaching staff complete - Kompon and Ranford agree to new contracts

I don't think I have seen a thread for this. Lock it up if there has been.

complete/http://lakingsinsider.com/2010/08/03...taff-complete/

Well Kompom is back..

MxK1NGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 10:33 AM
  #2
Defgarden
Registered User
 
Defgarden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Loma Linda, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,827
vCash: 500
Kompon has taken a beating from fans in the past for our poor PP. But when our PP was halfway decent, he never gets the praise. I'm not saying he's the best guy in the world, but I don't think he's generally the reason for the team's shortcomings.

Defgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 10:38 AM
  #3
Buddy The Elf
Kings!
 
Buddy The Elf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Belmont Shore
Country: United States
Posts: 9,694
vCash: 500
Oh so this is what DL has been working on all summer?

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 10:59 AM
  #4
Defgarden
Registered User
 
Defgarden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Loma Linda, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,827
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
Oh so this is what DL has been working on all summer?
And that big trade he's working on? Yea, that's right. They're switching to waterless urinals at the office.

Defgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 11:17 AM
  #5
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar
 
kingsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,998
vCash: 500
Nah, DL was working on the coup of the century to land Luongo. He orchestrated a scheme to get the Kovalchuk contract set up so the league would reject it, causing a ripple affect where Loungo will also have his contract rejected, thus becoming a UFA. The same will occur with Pronger and Hossa as well. DL will then swoop in and sign them, along with Kovalchuk. As we have all pointed out, we need a top four d-man, a starting goaltender, a goalscorer and a second line center, and this will fill all the holes, minus the center, but the thinking is that with that line up, you could put Opee on the second line and he'd look like Niklas Backstrom.


Btw, that all comes with several 's attached. Several.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 11:26 AM
  #6
DIEHARD the King fan
Registered User
 
DIEHARD the King fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: blueline to slot
Country: United States
Posts: 6,244
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Doughty8 View Post
I don't think I have seen a thread for this. Lock it up if there has been.

complete/http://lakingsinsider.com/2010/08/03...taff-complete/

Well Kompom is back..
Predictable, just like our PP, stuck to the half-wall, throw it up top and try to get it on net. ZZZzzzzzzzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
Nah, DL was working on the coup of the century to land Luongo. He orchestrated a scheme to get the Kovalchuk contract set up so the league would reject it, causing a ripple affect where Loungo will also have his contract rejected, thus becoming a UFA. The same will occur with Pronger and Hossa as well. DL will then swoop in and sign them, along with Kovalchuk. As we have all pointed out, we need a top four d-man, a starting goaltender, a goalscorer and a second line center, and this will fill all the holes, minus the center, but the thinking is that with that line up, you could put Opee on the second line and he'd look like Niklas Backstrom.
.
Rumor is that Opee has a hell of a snap shot!

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 03:43 PM
  #7
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar
 
kingsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,998
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post
Predictable, just like our PP, stuck to the half-wall, throw it up top and try to get it on net. ZZZzzzzzzzz



Rumor is that Opee has a hell of a snap shot!
According to the scouting report his backhand is Sundin caliber.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2010, 02:49 PM
  #8
Randart
Registered User
 
Randart's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Carson, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,127
vCash: 500
Well at Least we got a couple more signed up...

Kompon to me is serviceable and he runs a good practice even if its not as creative or effective as we would like. Talent and skill will win you alot of special teams points we just need a few more prospects to pan out that we don't release or trade!~
As it seems getting them via free agency does not work out much...

As for Billy Ranford I have always respected him as a professional and love what I have read about him as a mentor, tutor, & Coach! He is an awesome guy, and I think every goalie that has passed thru or is in our org would agree! Having Hexy around is good for our young players too! He was a good goalie and passionate player, I may not agree with him but he does stand by his words and I admire that. I like what these guys instill in our young net minders!

Randart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2010, 02:53 PM
  #9
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go
 
Kurrilino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,528
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Kurrilino
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randart View Post
Kompon to me is serviceable and he runs a good practice even if its not as creative or effective as we would like. Talent and skill will win you alot of special teams points we just need a few more prospects to pan out that we don't release or trade!~
As it seems getting them via free agency does not work out much...

As for Billy Ranford I have always respected him as a professional and love what I have read about him as a mentor, tutor, & Coach! He is an awesome guy, and I think every goalie that has passed thru or is in our org would agree! Having Hexy around is good for our young players too! He was a good goalie and passionate player, I may not agree with him but he does stand by his words and I admire that. I like what these guys instill in our young net minders!

??????????????
So why do you like him as our PP coach ??????

Kurrilino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2010, 03:08 PM
  #10
Randart
Registered User
 
Randart's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Carson, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,127
vCash: 500
I will answer you this one time mate...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurrilino View Post
??????????????
So why do you like him as our PP coach ??????

I usually don't get into a rolling discourse when someone wants to or seems to want to get a arguement going butt...

I for one did not say I liked him as our pp coach I just don't hate it! Also I think he does not have the talent to work with to have a top ten pp... simple or what I was trying to say in a kindly way. Also I think he does run a good practice as I have watched him do it live a few times.

I think his system would look a lot better with more talent! Who knows maybe this season will see some improvements. The lads have had more time to play together now. There you have it best I can answer your question if you really care about my opinions...???

Randart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2010, 08:29 PM
  #11
BallPointHammer
Franchise Enforcer
 
BallPointHammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Maryland, USA
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 795
vCash: 500
Just the facts ..... 2009-10 NHL team PP stats (from nhl.com)

Kings total PP chances=307, rank=tie 17th, league average=304.5
Kings total PP goals=64, rank=5th, league average=55.5
Kings PP%=20.85%, rank=7th, league average=18.21%
Kings SH goals against=6, rank=tie 11th (fewest), league average=6.4

Here's the real kicker though:
Washington had the best PP% at 25.24%
Montreal was second at 21.84%
If the Kings had scored 3 more PP goals (67/307) they would have finished with a PP% of 21.82%, essentially tied for second in the league

Conclusion: even though the Kings could improve their PP, last season they did pretty well nonetheless

BallPointHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2010, 09:15 PM
  #12
Sydor25
LA Kings
 
Sydor25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: North Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 21,828
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by BallPointHammer View Post
Kings total PP chances=307, rank=tie 17th, league average=304.5
Kings total PP goals=64, rank=5th, league average=55.5
Kings PP%=20.85%, rank=7th, league average=18.21%
Kings SH goals against=6, rank=tie 11th (fewest), league average=6.4

Here's the real kicker though:
Washington had the best PP% at 25.24%
Montreal was second at 21.84%
If the Kings had scored 3 more PP goals (67/307) they would have finished with a PP% of 21.82%, essentially tied for second in the league

Conclusion: even though the Kings could improve their PP, last season they did pretty well nonetheless

You forgot to add the playoff stats, since Murray finally put Doughty and Johnson out there instead of Stoll:

10 for 26 = 38.5%

The Kings should be able to push 25%+ if Doughty and Johnson are kept together all season.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2010, 09:28 PM
  #13
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater
 
Ziggy Stardust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 31,122
vCash: 500
Is it really Kompon's fault that Stoll shanks his shots wide every so often? Like it or not, even though he shoots a lot of shots wide, Stoll probably has (or had) the hardest shot from the point.

The PP started to improve a lot when Handzus was inserted onto the top PP unit, then improved even further when Stoll was replaced by Johnson on the point and the Kings kept going to Doughty for the big blast from the blueline. The coaches made the proper adjustments, and it showed during the playoffs.

It will be interesting to see what John Stevens brings behind the bench next season.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2010, 11:25 PM
  #14
MxK1NGS
Registered User
 
MxK1NGS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Santa Clarita, CA
Posts: 2,828
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Is it really Kompon's fault that Stoll shanks his shots wide every so often? Like it or not, even though he shoots a lot of shots wide, Stoll probably has (or had) the hardest shot from the point.

The PP started to improve a lot when Handzus was inserted onto the top PP unit, then improved even further when Stoll was replaced by Johnson on the point and the Kings kept going to Doughty for the big blast from the blueline. The coaches made the proper adjustments, and it showed during the playoffs.

It will be interesting to see what John Stevens brings behind the bench next season.
Is Stevens our D coach?

MxK1NGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 12:45 AM
  #15
Sydor25
LA Kings
 
Sydor25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: North Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 21,828
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Doughty8 View Post
Is Stevens our D coach?
Yes. He replaces Hardy.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 01:14 AM
  #16
Telos
Moderator
In Dean We Trust
 
Telos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 26,204
vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
I think the success of the powerplay last season was a direct result of the kids getting that extra year of experience and the addition of our veterans. I think our players and chemistry just got that much better, because our strategy sure as hell didn't change.

Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 02:07 AM
  #17
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar
 
kingsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,998
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Is it really Kompon's fault that Stoll shanks his shots wide every so often? Like it or not, even though he shoots a lot of shots wide, Stoll probably has (or had) the hardest shot from the point.

The PP started to improve a lot when Handzus was inserted onto the top PP unit, then improved even further when Stoll was replaced by Johnson on the point and the Kings kept going to Doughty for the big blast from the blueline. The coaches made the proper adjustments, and it showed during the playoffs.

It will be interesting to see what John Stevens brings behind the bench next season.

If he is our PP coach and is putting Stoll out there on the PP then wouldn't it be his fault somewhat?

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 02:19 AM
  #18
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater
 
Ziggy Stardust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 31,122
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
If he is our PP coach and is putting Stoll out there on the PP then wouldn't it be his fault somewhat?
The season prior, Stoll was 2nd on the Kings with 10 PPGs. He also had more shots on goal than any defenseman. In fact, the dman with the most amount of shots that season was Kyle Quincey, so I can see why the Kings felt that Stoll should be on the PP.

You also have to consider that Johnson wasn't very good at getting his shot through on net until the later parts of the season when he finally figured throwing a wrister on net is just as if not more effective than winding up for a big blast. Johnson had more missed shots than Stoll. Surprisingly, Stoll was 5th on the Kings in total missed shots.

Next season will be more telling in understanding how good the PP can be with Johnson playing on the top unit. I still think he is a work in progress, but he is starting to put it all together. Hopefully this is the season where everything clicks for him. If the players perform well, they are showing their abilities and what they are capable of. And when they don't perform, naturally it is the coaches fault.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:00 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.