HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Official Rumor Thread--Kings Rumor Mill VI

Closed Thread

Old
08-15-2010, 07:12 PM
Youngblood93

vCash: 500
I find it funny that Burke thinks he's going to get a ton in return for a 32 year old defenseman that is exiting his prime and entering the last year of his contract. It's widely know that he doesn't want to play in the West so why would the Kings, Ducks, Sharks, Canucks etc give up a proven roster players for a one year rental?

Burke then says he'll hold on to him if the offers aren't to his liking, ok keep him then resign him. I know there is pressure on Burke in TOR to make the playoffs but what he needs to realize is that he needs to do a little more rebuilding.

TOR is not where ANA was when Burke took over the Ducks and made the Pronger deal which put them over the edge. The Ducks already had some very solid young players ready to go.

Burke should have dealt Kaberle when he took over the GM job in TOR a year and a half ago. He could have received a few picks and solid prospects. If Kaberle doesn't get dealt in a few hours we will have to hear all this **** till the trade deadline in March.

Answer this question: Would all this Kaberle trade talk be going on if he played for the Panthers or Thrashers?

Old
08-15-2010, 07:13 PM
piston

Send a message via AIM to piston
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIDSHIPMAN View Post
That's why you don't see many trade proposals with Greene in them. He's overpayed.
I chuckled when I saw this. The reason you haven't seen any rumors with Green in them is because he isn't going anywhere. He is too important to the team defense, too important in the locker room and too important to an organization trying to establish Los Angeles as a legitimate destination for hockey players who want to win. You never say never, but it would take a special return, vast overpayment, for DL to move Greene.

Old
kingpest19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
Mitchell was all but put to bed last night before his agent did something that while appears to be in the best interest of his client certainly wasn't kipper with how things are traditionally done. We will see how this shakes out but bad form for how things have been handled by WM's camp after last night.

As for MIDSHIPMAN's comments I have to completely disagree as well.

Greene on the open market would be paid well over the under $3m that we are giving him and lets say that we have his salary spot on, here we are looking to add another dman and are willing to give him up to as much as we pay Greene.

If you are thinking that it is bad to be paying your "bottom 3" dman so much money, maybe you should look at it this way, we aren't.

Yep, that simple. We aren't paying our "bottom 3" guys too little because what we are trying to do is *not have a bottom 3 or a bottom pairing* at all.

We are trying to have two starting quality goalies and 6 equally capable d men. That is the way championship teams who have continued success have been made and that is where we are heading.

Greene, Scuds,DD,JMFJ and lets say WM would give us a truly formidable top 5 and if we bring up one of our highly touted kids and they can stick then we might have one of the best d's in many years.

We still need a speed/sniper without a doubt but we will have built an amazingly rare back end if we can sign WM.

The other thing that I would say is that (hypothetically speaking of course) Simmonds would be a valuable piece for us to dangle and so would Voinov. Imagine if they were paired together along with a 3rd round pick, they could bring back a stud for a return.

If those players were offered together and hypothetically speaking of course.

It would have to be for a pretty special top six talent kind of guy, that is for sure.
Can you elaborate?

Old
JDM
HFB Partner

Midshipman ,did you really just use the trade proposal board as evidence? Really? 13 year holds conjured fantasies are proof of, well, anything?

Old
08-15-2010, 09:28 PM
MIDSHIPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by piston View Post
I chuckled when I saw this. The reason you haven't seen any rumors with Green in them is because he isn't going anywhere. He is too important to the team defense, too important in the locker room and too important to an organization trying to establish Los Angeles as a legitimate destination for hockey players who want to win. You never say never, but it would take a special return, vast overpayment, for DL to move Greene.
Come on Piston. Are you the same from LGK? You are very smart so I'll just let this one slide.

Seen any rumours with Dustin Brown or Simmonds lately?

Plus, my arguement is that he's overpayed at his position for what he brings not that he sucks. I love what he brings (leadership and leave it all out on the ice) but not at that price for the bottom pairing D. Not hard to understand. DL thinks the same for the 4th line as evidenced by his comments to Hammond about Schenn and his ELC. You just don't pay those guys 3 million per. I just see his salary being a huge detriment next summer when we have to sign Doughty, JJ and Simmonds (and Bernier).

So I'll make it easy: Love the guy, don't love the contract. Easy as that.

Last edited by MIDSHIPMAN: 08-15-2010 at 09:35 PM.
Old
08-15-2010, 09:39 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Come on Piston. Are you the same from LGK? You are very smart so I'll just let this one slide.

Seen any rumours with Dustin Brown or Simmonds lately?

Plus, my arguement is that he's overpayed at his position for what he brings not that he sucks.
Is Greene really overpaid? Look at what Komisarek brings to the table. He's earning $4.5M and all he is known for is his physical game which constantly takes him out of position. Overpaid is what Jeff Finger is. I can list a number of names of players who are defensive dmen who provide minimal offense who earn more than Greene.

Tom Poti hasn't been a productive defenseman in years and has adjusted himself to focus more on the defensive side of the game, and he's earning $3.5M.

Barret Jackman has limited skills and is earning $3.625M.

Scott Hannan is a stay-at-home dman earning $4.5M.

Cory Sarich, another defensive dman, earning $3.6M.

Need I go further? I don't think you really understand the value of a player like Matt Greene or Rob Scuderi.

Old
08-15-2010, 10:26 PM
funky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
Mitchell was all but put to bed last night before his agent did something that while appears to be in the best interest of his client certainly wasn't kipper with how things are traditionally done. We will see how this shakes out but bad form for how things have been handled by WM's camp after last night.
What happened, and how do you know this?

Old
08-15-2010, 10:28 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Tweeted by Brown:

I miss hockey.

Stupid Burke...now we are going to be stuck with a gazillion trade proposals at the trade deadline...

Old
08-15-2010, 10:38 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:

Plus, DD is a better hitter than Greene.

I also see Greene's cap hit hurting us in the future. We'll see though.
This is just incredibly wrong. Drew Doughty throws a nice hipcheck now an again but is not and never will be a better hitter than Matt Greene.

Old
08-15-2010, 10:39 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
This is just incredibly wrong. Drew Doughty throws a nice hipcheck now an again but is not and never will be a better hitter than Matt Greene.
Drew has a better shot though...

Old
08-15-2010, 11:02 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Bottom pairing my ass. Greene is our top pairing PK guy.

Old
08-15-2010, 11:05 PM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKing View Post
As Greene himself would say regarding this post: "Jackpot".

Greene's contract is not going to hinder the team in any way. If he's overpaid, then by how much? $400M?

Worst thing about the lock-out is how everyone is so concerned about how much money their team's billionaire owner spends.
Jackpot!

It turns everybody into wanna be GM's, most of whom are quite miserly. I personally don't care much about overpayments, unless a player doesnt perform to nearly his level. This whole "cap space is so important" mantra is vastly overstated. Even DL said he would have accepted Chicago's cap problems if it meant he'd have a cup in LA.

Still to date, Cap Space's stat history sucks, and I'm not hoping that its simply going to improve with age.

Old
08-15-2010, 11:30 PM
Quattro

Quote:
Originally Posted by funky View Post
What happened, and how do you know this?
Tonellisghost fancies himself the next Matt Barry

Old
08-15-2010, 11:50 PM
Josh Deitell
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Tweeted by Brown:

I miss hockey.

Stupid Burke...now we are going to be stuck with a gazillion trade proposals at the trade deadline...
Good thing Brownie is wearing a cup

Old
08-15-2010, 11:57 PM
riznat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Deitell View Post
Good thing Brownie is wearing a cup
Cup? Brown can't fit into a cup, they don't come in size tripod.

Old
08-16-2010, 12:05 AM
no name

Quote:
Originally Posted by riznat View Post
Cup? Brown can't fit into a cup, they don't come in size tripod.
Really? I don't know what's worse, the fact you looked at it or the fact that you make reference to a mans package.

Old
08-16-2010, 02:04 AM
Mike The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by no name View Post
Really? I don't know what's worse, the fact you looked at it or the fact that you make reference to a mans package.
gotta admit that was pretty dirty

Old
08-16-2010, 02:31 AM
redcard

Quote:
Hey, some people like that kind of thing....

Old
08-16-2010, 04:04 AM
SuperAlmeida

RyanSmyth94

Back from a night on town with good friend and new teammate Willie Mitchell. I can say that right? It is Monday isn't it?

YEAH!

Old
08-16-2010, 04:18 AM
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperAlmeida View Post
RyanSmyth94

Back from a night on town with good friend and new teammate Willie Mitchell. I can say that right? It is Monday isn't it?

YEAH!
Where is the link for this?

I looked for his twitter but it doesn't have anything like that on the one I found

Old
08-16-2010, 04:20 AM
SuperAlmeida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winroba View Post
Where is the link for this?

I looked for his twitter but it doesn't have anything like that on the one I found
He has removed it from his Twitter.

Old
08-16-2010, 04:21 AM
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperAlmeida View Post
He has removed it from his Twitter.
Hahaha so then it's not quite as confirmed as you thought

Edit: He also tweeted in the past that he's had hacked accounts so someone could have done that?

Last edited by Winroba: 08-16-2010 at 04:27 AM.
Old
08-16-2010, 06:46 AM
Anjae11Eden

RyanSmyth94 on Twitter is an imposter that is badly in need of attention. He pulled the same crap with IK. Don't fall for it.

Old
08-16-2010, 08:55 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post
Jackpot!

It turns everybody into wanna be GM's, most of whom are quite miserly. I personally don't care much about overpayments, unless a player doesnt perform to nearly his level. This whole "cap space is so important" mantra is vastly overstated. Even DL said he would have accepted Chicago's cap problems if it meant he'd have a cup in LA.

Still to date, Cap Space's stat history sucks, and I'm not hoping that its simply going to improve with age.
Because it is always a good idea to ignore an important part of the environment in which one must perform.

I can see the new mantra is going to be taking this lame PC statement made by Dean and hammering us with it over and over again. Chicago basically got one decent and one good kick at the can. They were LUCKY!!! If Pittsburgh had won their series against Montreal, it could have been an entirely different story and Blackhawk fans would be really pissed to be seeing a Stanley Cup Finalist dismantled right now.

Chicago won in the finals because the Flyer goaltending outsucked Niemi. That's pretty much the story of that series.

One could also argue that there is plenty of evidence that spending to the cap on stupid contracts fails just as badly as "cap space" and does much more long term damage. Have the NYR or Flyers been able to spend their way to a cup yet? Is it looking good for the Rangers in the near future? No, but Diehard you would have cheered as the team wasted millions in cap space in players like Gomez and Drury. Perhaps you should consider a move to Manhattan. Sather is your kind of GM.

Old
08-16-2010, 12:08 PM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
If you dont know the stories then you dont know the stories!

Closed Thread