HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Marty Biron @ 875k per season - How many games do you want him to start?

Old
08-16-2010, 10:53 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

vCash: 500
Marty Biron @ 875k per season - How many games do you want him to start?

Is pretty freaking fantastic. He didnt really play that much on the Island but he had 60 wins in his two years in Philly. Hopefully Torts makes good on his promise to give Hank some rests and Marty gets to play 20

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 11:00 AM
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chariot View Post
Is pretty freaking fantastic. He didnt really play that much on the Island but he had 60 wins in his two years in Philly. Hopefully Torts makes good on his promise to give Hank some rests and Marty gets to play 20
I don't think he has a snowball's chance of hell of playing 20. I'd say 10-14 is more accurate.

20 is 25% of the season. No chance that's happening.

KreiMeARiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 11:03 AM
FOXHOUND*

15-20, and the more the better

FOXHOUND* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 11:03 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by hightide85 View Post
I don't think he has a snowball's chance of hell of playing 20. I'd say 10-14 is more accurate.

20 is 25% of the season. No chance that's happening.
Id have to look at the sched to see where the heavy stretches come in

The issue with the Rangers has been they end up HAVING TO GO ON A RUN the last 20 games of the season and its too difficult to rest Henke. He's going to play the must games...

Have to manage the games. I want Biron playing 15-20

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 11:04 AM
Avery316
guilty as charged

I wouldn't exactly say there's no chance in hell, the purpose of the signing was to lighten the load on Henrik so......20 sounds about right.

Avery316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 11:05 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

15-20 sounds about right.

If this team makes the playoffs, I think Biron will be a big reason why...not only because of the games he plays, but because of the extra rest he can provide Lundqvist.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 11:11 AM
ruckus*

I'm going to say he ends up playing about 15 games.

Even that is stretcing it a little..

Playing the back up is always one of those things that never seems to work out for us.

As the season goes along you see how the schedule breaks down and you look at it from a week to week basis. Hank shouldn't play in any back to backs.

11 back to backs through the first 4 months of the season.

14 overall.

If Marty starts at least one game of each back to back, then he's got 14 right there.

That won't happen though, because if we're fighting for a spot towards the end of the year Hank will start.

The one thing I do notice though is how few days we have off early in the year. I think that's the perfect time to rest Hank. Keep him fresh for the end of the season.

You just gotta hope that the team plays well enough and doesn't bury themselves early, and we're afforded that luxury.

Also Biron needs to play well.

Look at the schedule though.. October we have games 21, 23, 24, 27, 29, 30. So that's 6 games in a 9 day stretch.

November we get 2 days off in between games twice. Other than that we're playing at least every other day.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 11:12 AM
UnderPSI
Formerly YMMV

I expect 15-20. Problem is we need Biron to play every bit of the 20. Every year we ride on Hank and he gets worn out. Its the same old crap every year. Hank was even quoted end of last season that he was tired. He also mentioned that he was exhausted before the shootout (last game vs Philly). Biron needs to step up.

UnderPSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 11:25 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by TortsNeedsMoreJam View Post
I expect 15-20. Problem is we need Biron to play every bit of the 20. Every year we ride on Hank and he gets worn out. Its the same old crap every year. Hank was even quoted end of last season that he was tired. He also mentioned that he was exhausted before the shootout (last game vs Philly). Biron needs to step up.
Lets not forget that last year was also an olympic year. More compressed schedule + olympic games.

I think 65 games would be a good number for him, which is 11 less than he played last year.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 11:38 AM
Melrose_Jr.

I believe Torts said 17-20 in the Fischler interview.

Ultimately, I'm only concerned about it if the Rangers are making the playoffs. The goaltenders who do the dog work all season don't seem to be able to ride that momentum all the way into June. Biron's going to need to be playing well enough to take a few starts down the stretch if you're going to keep Henrik fresh enough to steal a round in the postseason.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 11:42 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

I think the Rangers are a playoff bubble team in the conference, and Biron is one of the biggest keys in helping them get there.

Lundqvist doesnt need to play 70 games this season, and i believe the rest will help him and the team greatly. We saw him hit some rough patches in the November-January months over the past few seasons, and he has been worn down by the end of the year. Adding a legit backup and a guy who has a couple 30 win season under his belt with skill is a huge benefit to a club that has relied so heavily on goaltending in years past.

I will feel a lot more confident going into a game where Hank isnt starting compared to years past. You just didnt know what you were going to get. Biron has something to prove and hes here a couple of years so hes going to want to get back into top form. One of the biggest pluses is that Biron grew up attending the Alliare camps and now he has been reunited with Benoit who he has already spoken to. Birons also taking his conditioning a lot more seriously this offseason considering Torts camp. All major pluses in net for the Rangers.

I think it could have some lingering adverse effects as well though. Tortorella has been known to juggle around his goaltenders in the past, especially if someone isnt performing. If Lundqvist lets in a few softies we could see Biron get the nod on a few occasions when the fans and the media might expect otherwise. That could cause a little tension with Lundqvist and Tortorella (not to mention the debates on HF) - but i believe that Henrik is a team first guy and can put that aside (to a certain degree) even though he is a fiery competitor. Personally i think it will be healthy for the team and Henrik. I wouldnt be surprised if we see a stretch where Biron is left in the net until he loses a game. Its up to him how long hell ride out that stretch and it may dictate what his total is at the end of the year.

With all the said, yes - I do expect Biron to start somewhere in the neighborhood of 18-20 games.

Last edited by HockeyBasedNYC: 08-16-2010 at 11:48 AM.
HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 11:45 AM
Levitate

I think Tortorella is completely serious about getting Biron more starts so Lundqvist gets more rest. And we should be hoping that's the case...starting 60+ games is still a whole lot of games, and it sounds like Lundqvist has been wearing down at the end of seasons where he's playing a ton.

He needs some rest, Biron should play at least 15 games next year and it'd do Lundqvist a lot of good

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 11:52 AM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

15 games minimum. I'd like to see Marty get around 20-23 though, depending on how he looks out there obviously...

Last edited by Loffen: 08-16-2010 at 04:26 PM.
Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 11:53 AM
John Torturella

10-14. We go through this every year. Hank is gonna play fewer games so he is fresh in April. Hopefully the team is in the position to play Biron more. But in reality, we will probably have to get on the Lundqvist train, so to speak, if this team is gonna make the playoffs.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 11:54 AM
we want cup
We do not Sow

15-20 seems like a safe bet.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 11:59 AM
dtrap

Send a message via AIM to dtrap
If I had to guess I say he starts 17-20 and actually plays in 20-25.

dtrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 12:07 PM
pwoz

He's a 1b goalie.

pwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 12:09 PM
SERE 24
LGR

20 starts is pretty reasonable. Henrik would still have 62 starts which is plenty. If you're going to bring in a solid backup to try and have a more rested Hank down the stretch and in the playoffs, than you don't really want Henrik playing 65+ regular season games.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 12:27 PM
ogie

i think that he will play most of the back-to-back games. And a large portion of the west coast teams, since even if you lose you are only hurting your standings not helping out an eastern team.

So i would think you could see Marty play in the area of 25 games at most.

ogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 12:28 PM
ecemleafs

id say he gets around 18 games. probably starts 13-14 and relieves henke when our team comes out soft and flat and we get crushed.

ecemleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 12:45 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Hank play 65-68 games
Marty play 12-15 games

People thinking he is going to play 20-25 games are fooling themselves. With no Olympic break this year Lundqvist will get more rest anyway, and he always wants to play and the coach usually goes by with what Lundqvist wants.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 12:55 PM
darrenturcotte#8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOXHOUND View Post
15-20, and the more the better
Totally agree. There is no reason to wear down an elite goaltender on a sub-par team. Luongo got shelled for years in Fla and as a result, I think his best days are behind him. 2000+ saves are too many for a goaltender. Save Hank for a team that has a shot at finishing in the top 4 of the conference. If we aren't that good (and we're not), let Biron play 20 games+...

And before someone brings up Brodeur, take a look at the numbers. When Marty was playing 70+ games/season, he was only making 1800 saves. Not the 2100 Hank made last yr nor the 2400 Luongo was stopping in Fla

darrenturcotte#8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 01:04 PM
Chimp

First of all, I'm stoked that Biron is the backup this season, but am worried at the insignificance if might have. Now, that won't be Biron's fault, but because this team will probably look absolutely pathetic on the ice for the majority of the season. As we've grown accustomed to that they usually do.

The main problem is, as every year since we signed our main albatrosses, that players have to step up in roles and lines they're not good enough to play in, to cover up for our $7m third liners and $6.5m third pair D-men, that should be good - and paid - enough to be team carriers.

You know the drill. Torts says Henrik will rest more. The team sucks and hangs both the backup and Henrik out to dry, while barely managing to score at all. We drop in the standings in november-january, after most teams have figured us out like an open book and own us on a consistent basis. Torts goes from angry, to steaming, to having red marks of a hand over his face because of constant facepalming and a sore neck from staring too much into the Garden ceiling. Lundqvist stand on his head every once and then for a shaky "team" win, while Gaborik scores a timely goal.

And then Lundqvist is forced to play 70+ games anyway, because the only chance the team has to even sniff a playoff spot will be to ride their elite goalie. While Biron might be an excellent backup, I fear "excellent" isn't good enough on this team for more than a dozen starts.

My hopes: Lundqvist 62 games, Biron 20 games.
My expectations as a bitter Rangers fan: Lundqvist 70 games, Biron 12 games.

It's all up to the team. I'm more positive this season than many seasons before, since the team looks better than in a long time, talent wise. But we still lack team carriers and still have some of the worst contracts in the league, which the rest of the players have to carry on their backs.

Last edited by Chimp: 08-16-2010 at 01:19 PM.
Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 01:05 PM
Garfinkel1

If I had to make a prediction based on absolutely nothing I would say 14-18. Hank is a beast and can handle heavy loads. I think Hank's input is going to rest highly on how much Biron plays. When you factor in how hard of a competitor Hank is I don't see Biron playing much unless he's feeling sore.

Still, I would give Biron (as a pre-season rating) an A- in terms of quality at his position (which is backup goalie.

Garfinkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 01:21 PM
HockeyBurd*

If he plays very well (meaning #1-#3 star of the game with a winning record), 20-24. If he isn't up to that standard, 9-12 like every season. Assuming Henrik holds up that is.

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote