HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How do you feel about the Habs roster for 2010/2011?

Old
08-16-2010, 11:23 AM
neofury*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussCourtnallsGhost View Post
The 2 biggest factors for me this year are:
1) P.K. Subban

I believe P.K.'s explosiveness and speed is going to change the way other teams play against us.

2) Injuries

Last year was pretty awful for injuries to our key players; if we manage to avoid them I think we can battle for tops in our division.

My wildcards are Eller and Price. If either one has a great season it could really put us over the top.
If Eller, Subban and Price all have a stellar season, I'll be happy even if we tank to last place due to injuries. That having been said, a healthy team with Eller, Subban and Price playing well would be destruction.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 11:27 AM
hogtownhabsfan*

I think with Markov out, and with Price needing an adjustment period we could get off to a slow start. However this team is very talented, and i could see us finishing up around 5th or 6th in the East by the end of the season.

Up front we have a good core of scoring line players, with our veteran duos, Pleks/Cammy, and Gionta/Gomez. We then have some highly talented youngsters such as AK, Pouliot, and Eller, who could all see time on one of those lines this year.

On the bottom two lines we have a pretty excellent group led by Lapierre and Moen, supported by Boyd, Pyatt, as well as some youngsters who could make the team.

Defensively with a healthy Markov we have a great group. Markov and Subban give us potentially 2 great offensive defensman, while Gorges, Gill, Spacek, and Hammer give us quality veteran depth. O'Byrne is a fantastic 7th option, but could see himself in the top 6 as he provides some size and nastyness that the rest of the group lack.

In net it all comes down to Price, and the club is "All-In" with him. If he can recapture his magic from his rookie year, this team could be poised for another deep playoff run. If not, they will likely be one and done in the playoffs.

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 11:32 AM
Stradale

I wish our top 9 was better in case either AK or Pouliot or both of them struggle.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 11:33 AM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post

And I'm supposed to be the pessimist...
You can't be a pessimist until you take off those rose colored glasses.

You speak of a slight improvement up front, but ignore the fact that we weren't that good to begin with. Couple this with expectations that Eller will have on his back, and the fact that Gionta and Cammy have proven to be productive YET FRAGILE and we have another year where we're treading a fine line.

AK has a contract year but we still never know with him. Pouliot showed sign of regression not progression as the season moved forward....

In my eyes, the only real difference is that we are weaker in nets... But of course, we won as a team in the playoffs not just Halak ...... right?

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 11:34 AM
nyhabsfan
Waiting for #25.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
I wish our top 9 was better in case either AK or Pouliot or both of them struggle.
I'm hoping some of the kids push our top 9 guys, looking for a dark horse to emerge!

nyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 11:35 AM
Sumhabs

Pretty similar to last year, we are going to fight for the 6,7,8 spot imo.

Sumhabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 11:39 AM
Crimson Skorpion

vCash: 50
Awards:
On offense : It's tough to say that there's even one line that I am sure will do good. Plecky's line is alright, but will AK wake up this year? Gomez and Gionta play well together, but will Pouliot rise to the occasion, or disappear after flashes of a scoring winger? Two bottom lines, seems like a lot of people around here can't even figure out what it will be just yet. And at that ; How will Boyd do? Will Lapierre show up this year? What will we see of Eller?

It's easy to assume what could happen, but for me it's a whole bunch of questions that can't be answered until the start of the season.

On defense : Markov is out to start, that will be a huge blow. Subban will likely make the line-up and that will be a plus in terms of puck movement, speed and additional offensive input. Hamrlik and Spacek, it's really a toss of the dice. They can either be brilliantly defensive or crap the bad and look 10 years older then their actual age. Gill and Gorges should be a lock to a great defensive pairing, hopefully. Will O'byrne get played at all? How about someone like Weber getting a call?

Again, some questions in there. But at least there are a few more things that can leave a Habs fan confident that the defense will be decent.

On goal-tending : With Price not signed, and Auld is a back-up, it's hard to tell. We'll just pretend like he's signed to make this easier to evaluate. Price is 23, he had not such a good season last year but it's overlooked on many aspects as well. A lot of the games he didn't win, we're not his fault. How many times did he keep the team in it, only to be let down? He's not perfect, but at the age of 23 there is still TONS of time for him to work on his game and become the goaltender everyone around here wants him to be. Question is, will he rise to the occasion now that Halak is out of the picture? And will Auld provide some support that could be needed? I watched him play with a few other teams, and he can be good as a back-up.

So how do I feel? Un-easy. There's just way too many question marks in the air for me to pretend to be optimistic. I will hope for the best, but there's no way of telling just yet. I'm not pessimistic either, because I don't think the line-up is that bad, however I think people need to take a look at a lot of the teams in the East and realize what they did that we didn't, and how much better some of them have gotten, while the Habs added a few players and hope for some others to snap out of it.

Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 11:40 AM
Turboflex*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subban76 View Post
The 3 key guys that could make us finish first in our division are the 3 kids: Price, Subban and Eller. If they do well, the Habs will de a good team. I'm not worried about the other guys production.
This.

Also it would be nice if Pouliot & Kostitsyn didn't stink, it would at least make it easier to keep pace in the standings if they can score (Or at least, not drag down their lines like they did in Philly series).

Eller will be important cuz if he can't play well our 3rd line will be garbage, and the Habs struggled a lot last season with a garbage 3rd line before Moore was acquired. Habs' management took a risk projecting Eller as playing well as 3rd line centre cuz they coulda gotten a proven, very capable 3rd line C line Moore or Belanger. Instead went with a rookie who they think can do the same job, but with more upside.

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 11:45 AM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
You can't be a pessimist until you take off those rose colored glasses.
These are full-spectrum prismatic quadraphonic spychedelic spectacles, not "rose coloured glasses"! They see all that can be. (Sadly not all that WILL be)...
Quote:
You speak of a slight improvement up front, but ignore the fact that we weren't that good to begin with. Couple this with expectations that Eller will have on his back, and the fact that Gionta and Cammy have proven to be productive YET FRAGILE and we have another year where we're treading a fine line.
Potential for a slight improvement! Potential for more than slight improvement too. Potential for staying the same. Potential for worse. I probably think less of guys like Eller and Pouliot and AK than the average poster here. Expectations will not dictate the success or failure of Eller. He could go either way no matter what we expect. Gionta and Cammalleri have 3 80+ game seasons. They have proven also that they can be durable.

Quote:
In my eyes, the only real difference is that we are weaker in nets... But of course, we won as a team in the playoffs not with Halak ...... right?
Well, the playoffs hopefully also represented a learning experience and a step forward in the team's ability to win. Mind you, the team was 9-10 in the playoffs, right? Maybe there will be improvements that aren't written in visible ink on paper, maybe there won't be. But the potential is there. Just like for 20 other teams in the league who aren't "contenders" or already eliminated from the playoffs before the season has begun.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 11:47 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 725
Strength is on offense. Question marks are on D and in net. Question marks than can become interrogation marks though. But Hamrlik, Spacek and Gill aren't getting younger. No question mark for Subban for me though. He'll be fine. And Markov not being there, and how will he play when he comes back and....for how long? That's a big question mark as well. Nobody has any idea how Price will react and it's not Auld that can take charge. He didn't take charge in the last 20 teams he played for, not sure why he'd do it here.

Offense is a strength based on the surefire value we have in Gomez, Pleks, Cammy and Gionta. There are question marks in our top 6 with Pouliot and AKost. Bottom 6 looks fine.

So a roster that can at best finish 6, at worst 12.

The usual.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 11:54 AM
Miller Time

another season of fighting for a playoff spot...
UNLESS Price walks into the season ready to be a top-5 goalie in the league, which is certainly not outside of the realm of possibilities.

that aside, assuming he's at least solid and doesn't crumble under the pressure, I see a pretty big swing as to where we could end up

If everything goes right:
- no major injuries
- Eller is the real deal, and can produce 40-50pts from the third line centre role
- Pouliot and/or A.Kost thrive in their role as top 6 wingers and score 25+goals and 50+ pts
- Subban is "what we thought he was", and contends for ROY with 30-40pts to go with solid D play
- Cammy-Gomez-Pleks-Gio stay consistent and produce @ career average or better
- Moen/Lapierre/Darche/O'byrne are able to provide enough physical play to keep us from getting too beat up every night
- La "Releve" in Hamilton is able to step up as needed and adequately plug holes when needed

if all those things were to happen, much like in 07-08, we could find ourselves competing for a division/conference title...

BUT, it's pretty unrealistic to expect everything to go our way.

injuries, inconsistency from usual suspects, some young players taking a step back, some young players not able to provide the supporting production we need, aging blueliners regressing further (hamrlik/spacek/gill)... some or all of these elements are likely to happen, as they do with all teams, and given our lack of scoring depth and grit/physical play, we'll end up in the desperate battle for the playoffs we've been in most years in the past decade.

no real progression as far as an improved roster from my viewpoint, and possibly a big downgrade at the key goaltending position.

plus, with our cap limit roster, it's not like we have much maneuverability to make tweaks/adjust the roster/bolster for a playoff run.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 02:29 PM
GordonGraham

Good defense
Average offense (could be good if AK and Pouliot wake the **** up)
Below average goaltending

GordonGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 03:17 PM
Capitano

The only question mark for me is the goaltending. I think we'll do a good enough job in front of Price to win our share of games. Our collapsing system worked 'well' in the playoffs, but I'm sure confidence grew in the team as Halak made those first saves.

So really that's my only fear...otherwise we'll be fighting for the 6-8th spot like the rest of middle of the road teams.

Capitano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 03:26 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGraham View Post
Good defense
How do you figure that we have below average goaltending? Price had an off year last year and he was still AT LEAST average.

Yes we needed goaltending that was as good as anybody last year to make the playoffs, but we had a lot of injuries to key players and we have more depth this year.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 04:05 PM
Stradale

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGraham View Post
Good defense
Oh really...

In the East, which goalie would you take over Carey Price?

Except Brodeur, Miller and Lundqvist, whose experience put them on another level, there aren't many that clear cut better than Price.

Is Fleury really better than Price? I've watched him play and no, he is not. Rask is good but saying he will be better than Price for sure next season? I can't be sure.

And are the rest really better?

Ottawa? No
Washington? No
Philadelphia? No
Toronto? No
Atlanta? No
Carolina? Yes/maybe/debatable
Tampa Bay? No
Islanders? No
Florida? Maybe

So i don't why we are below average in goaltender.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 04:14 PM
Playmaker09
Valar Morghulis

We had the least goals 5-on-5 in the NHL last year and did nothing to improve it. Looking like more of the same.

Playmaker09 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 05:12 PM
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playmaker09 View Post
We had the least goals 5-on-5 in the NHL last year and did nothing to improve it. Looking like more of the same.
Having Markov back and having a full year of Subban won't help improve that...

Andrighetto Fabolous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 05:34 PM
JayBee*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
On offense : It's tough to say that there's even one line that I am sure will do good. Plecky's line is alright, but will AK wake up this year? Gomez and Gionta play well together, but will Pouliot rise to the occasion, or disappear after flashes of a scoring winger? Two bottom lines, seems like a lot of people around here can't even figure out what it will be just yet. And at that ; How will Boyd do? Will Lapierre show up this year? What will we see of Eller?

It's easy to assume what could happen, but for me it's a whole bunch of questions that can't be answered until the start of the season.

On defense : Markov is out to start, that will be a huge blow. Subban will likely make the line-up and that will be a plus in terms of puck movement, speed and additional offensive input. Hamrlik and Spacek, it's really a toss of the dice. They can either be brilliantly defensive or crap the bad and look 10 years older then their actual age. Gill and Gorges should be a lock to a great defensive pairing, hopefully. Will O'byrne get played at all? How about someone like Weber getting a call?

Again, some questions in there. But at least there are a few more things that can leave a Habs fan confident that the defense will be decent.

On goal-tending : With Price not signed, and Auld is a back-up, it's hard to tell. We'll just pretend like he's signed to make this easier to evaluate. Price is 23, he had not such a good season last year but it's overlooked on many aspects as well. A lot of the games he didn't win, we're not his fault. How many times did he keep the team in it, only to be let down? He's not perfect, but at the age of 23 there is still TONS of time for him to work on his game and become the goaltender everyone around here wants him to be. Question is, will he rise to the occasion now that Halak is out of the picture? And will Auld provide some support that could be needed? I watched him play with a few other teams, and he can be good as a back-up.

So how do I feel? Un-easy. There's just way too many question marks in the air for me to pretend to be optimistic. I will hope for the best, but there's no way of telling just yet. I'm not pessimistic either, because I don't think the line-up is that bad, however I think people need to take a look at a lot of the teams in the East and realize what they did that we didn't, and how much better some of them have gotten, while the Habs added a few players and hope for some others to snap out of it.
Very well said. The team has regressed while other teams have gotten better.

JayBee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 05:52 PM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
There seems to always be a 'glass half empty' feeling from Habs fans...too many people in the media have brainwashed Habs fans into thinking that just fighting for
7th or 8th spot is all we should hope for as fans.
Or... it's the actual results of the team that lead fans to think that ?

We have finished 7th, 8th or out of the playoffs in the past god knows how many years with the exception of one season (but that was with a very different team).

Quote:
This team has talent,
What does that even mean ? All 30 NHL teams have talent. The question is whether or not it has more than the other teams in our conference, how much more, and if they will perform to expectations.

Quote:
you never know who can break out or who can have a career year, etc....
"You never know" is the cross-your-fingers-and-pray attitude that optimistic habs fans have had for the past 10 years, and good for you guys, but "you never know" is not a winning strategy. When you start thinking that everyone has their ball in the lottery that's when your team suck. It's not chance, the best team usually wins. At least, one of the best teams usually does. The habs have never really been one of the best teams. And if you think otherwise, then good for you but I think you're more optimistic than realistic.

Quote:
this is the time of the year where every fan from every team should be beaming with optimism.
You think Florida, Edmonton, NYI, etc should be beaming with optimism ? They have no chance at all. It's nice and all to be optimistic but ...

Quote:
I've never seen a fanbase be so down after a deep playoff run....
There is some cause for hope, but when one stays realistic they realize that A LOT of things will have to go right for us next season if we want to make the playoffs, and compete once there. A realistic fan also understand that we have quite a few question marks.

Have Spacek and Hammer slowed down ?
Can Price really handle #1 duties in Montreal for this particular team?
Will AK and Pouliot work out ?
Can we score more goals this season ? We were 25th last season...
Can we lower the amount of shots ? Again 25th...
Can we shoot more ? Again we were 25th for shots on net
Can we get more pts this season ? Because 88 pts is probably not going to do it this season...

The only improvements this team made is Eller and Subban, two rookies. And we did downgrade significantly in net with Price-Auld instead of Halak-Price. The bad thing is that goaltending was our strength and was what brought us to the playoffs. Can Subban and Eller make up for that ?

Quote:
I know last years playoff run was unexpected and there was probably an element of overachieving, nevertheless, if anything, it should show Habs fans that this team can accomplish big things.
Big things ? Getting SOed 3 times in the ECF is big things ?

I'm as proud as the next guy for our team beating the president trophy winners and the SC defending champs but ... getting mauled in the ECF is not accomplishing big things. It's not like we competed with the flyers, we got destroyed. It wasn't even close.

Des Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 06:15 PM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post

I agree with pretty much everything you said.

For us to be better than last season, and we'll have to be since the east ain't likely to be as bad, one or more of the following things will have to happen :

1. If AK and Pouliot can be better and more consistent than they have been in the past and finally become legit dependable top 6 wingers
2. If Price can handle 60-65 games and play at close to the level that Halak played last season
3. If the 2 rookies can be difference makers on this team and be amongst the best players of the team
4. Less injuries

I'm fairly confident in #3. By all accounts, Eller is a very good young prospect who's ready for the big show. He's the type of center we're missing, and shouldn't be a problem for Martin. Should be an improvement over last season. And I'd bet anything Subban will be our 2nd best dman next season and also top 5 most important player behind Gionta, Cammy, Markov and Plekanec and about as important as Gomez.

Much less confident about #1-2 though. #4 is a crap shoot but it's not likely to be worse, or as bad.

Old
08-16-2010, 06:28 PM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer77 View Post
Powerplay: somewhat of a concern with Markov missing and the big, booming shot missing. The Habs have some guys who can shoot but don't seem willing (Hamrlik) or can't hit the net (Spacek). Subban's effectiveness is unknown.
Subban has a cannon...he has a mid to high 90's slapshot that is very accurate. Usually more effective if low, which is good with some of the hand-eye we have up front. The problem is getting the puck to him with Markov out. Drop a forward back maybe?

chaosrevolver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 06:34 PM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosrevolver View Post
Subban has a cannon...he has a mid to high 90's slapshot that is very accurate. Usually more effective if low, which is good with some of the hand-eye we have up front. The problem is getting the puck to him with Markov out. Drop a forward back maybe?
I've heard reports that Markov might not even miss a game, why people factor in Markov being gone for a while ?

I know he was slated for a november return but these things change really fast depending on the individual. But even then, he won't miss too many games so why do people think this is a question mark ? I mean at worse it will only be a question mark for 5-10 games.

Old
08-16-2010, 06:34 PM
Kirk Muller

Its a decent team. Today on paper they appear to be around 7th in the Conference if i was to predict but there is definite potential to be better.

Will the real Andrei Kostitsyn please stand up??? Is he the 50-60 point, 25-30 goal scorer. Or just another 20/20 guy.

Does Pouliot show consistency for an entire season?

These two guys really go a long way in deciding Montreal's fate from borderline playoff team to Division Challenger. The teams knows what to expect from Gomez, Gionta, Cammalleri, and Plekanec. Those two becoming consistent scoring threats solidifies the top 6.

As for defense. Montreal always has been sum greater then number of parts. Nothing flashy usually but unspectacular and reliable.

Price is another factor. In general pretty solid last year but needs to steal more games like he did as a rookie. The .912 SP is right there with 90% of starters in the league.

Potential definitely there. I say Price, Akost, and Pouliot will decide if its a borderline playoff team or a solid division winner or 5-6 seed.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 06:35 PM
Russian Warrior
SWAG

You guys call yourselves fans?

blablabla average team..... fapfapfap average team......

Thank god you guys aren't pro scouts or GMs..

PG knows what he's doing and I really like this team.

Russian Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 07:12 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
Very well said. The team has regressed while other teams have gotten better.
Regressed from where? From the start of last season or from the end of last season? Or from after their playoff run.

We'll have to see but I think they will be better from the start of the season until the Xmas break this year then they were from the start of last season until the Xmas break last year.

That will be an improvement, year over year, not a regression.

Frozenice is online now   Reply With Quote