HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Marty Biron @ 875k per season - How many games do you want him to start?

Old
08-16-2010, 01:21 PM
Kovalev27
BEST IN THE WORLD

vCash: 500
if anything hank can't have his 2 week long stretches of average play. if he's letting in stupid goals he's going to sit. i think biron finally gives us a guy that pushes hank to be at his best or he's going to know he's going to be sitting. in the end i think biron will start around 20 games give or take. which is perfect. i'm glad he's here

Kovalev27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 01:23 PM
Valverde

Torts said in the Fischler interview that he'll play about 20 games. I think that very reasonable, having a rested Hank in March/April/May(?) might be priceless. Having said that, if Hank gets injured, we're probably still ****ed, no matter who backs him up. But barring any injures, Biron is one of the most valuable backups in the whole league AND he's backing up one of the best goalies in he NHL - looks like on of the best duos in the whole league, maybe the best.

Valverde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 01:28 PM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

vCash: 50
To have a reasonable shot at going deep into the playoffs, if we make it, hinges a lot on how stable Marty is and how many games he can play for hank. Anything north of 15 would be an epic success IMO.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 02:04 PM
Back From Cally

I think Biron should be somewhere in the 15-20 range, but it probably wouldn't hurt if he could start a few more games to give Hank some more rest. Biron is a VERY capable backup goalie so Torts hopefully will give him enough starts, especially during November and December when Hank's game usually falls off.

Back From Cally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 02:11 PM
ThirdEye

20 would be nice. If he doesn't play that well though like last season we'll see Hank playing 70 games again

Good thing is that he has some playoff experience, so if anything happens with Hank or he's not playing well at least we can kind of count on Biron if we make it

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 04:25 PM
lbrowne

I'd say about 15 tops, if Marty plays it should be earlier in the season and also around Christmas since we've always put on a good run lately towards the last 20 games. Harder to put the backup in then, but I have faith Marty can win a couple in those situations though.

When you got one of the best in the pipes on your team, ‘‘Anything Else Would Be Uncivilized’’

lbrowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 04:32 PM
Celestial Black

My assumption was that he would be starting about 15-20 games. Damn good in my opinion, and will really help Henrik.

Celestial Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 04:32 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

I bet this is the year Hank gets hurt and misses 30-40 games. Biron ends up playing 45 regular season games(and is stellar), and Hank comes back for the stretch run and is lights out in the playoffs leading us to the finals against Vancouver in a 1994 rematch and we win in 7 again! Staal scores the cup-winning goal and Lundqvist gets the Conn Smythe.

Last edited by Zuccarello Awesome*: 08-16-2010 at 04:38 PM.
Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 04:40 PM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrowne View Post
When you got one of the best in the pipes on your team, ‘‘Anything Else Would Be Uncivilized’’
Not going to argue with that, but it would be nice if we can avoid his usual December slump by having Biron start many of those games. Or maybe the team can play better and not wear him out very early in the season like they frequently do

Old
08-16-2010, 04:54 PM
DubiDubiDoo

Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
At just under 7 million, you better be ready, willing and able to play Hank atleast 65-70 games.

With that said, I think alot depends on how the team plays defensively. If we look solid defensively we can take a shot at getting Biron 17-20. If the defense is looking week I think Marty sees 12-15 starts and maybe a handful of late game substitutions

DubiDubiDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 04:57 PM
DubiDubiDoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelZottoFutureNorris View Post
I bet this is the year Hank gets hurt and misses 30-40 games. Biron ends up playing 45 regular season games(and is stellar), and Hank comes back for the stretch run and is lights out in the playoffs leading us to the finals against Vancouver in a 1994 rematch and we win in 7 again! Staal scores the cup-winning goal and Lundqvist gets the Conn Smythe.
I'm on board with this....but it appears our key peice to win the cup is still unsigned, aaarrgh!!!! SLATS, he scores the cup winner, get it done!

Old
08-16-2010, 05:00 PM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiDubiDoo View Post
At just under 7 million, you better be ready, willing and able to play Hank atleast 65-70 games.

With that said, I think alot depends on how the team plays defensively. If we look solid defensively we can take a shot at getting Biron 17-20. If the defense is looking week I think Marty sees 12-15 starts and maybe a handful of late game substitutions
I don't really see what money has to do with it. 70+ games for Hank is probably too much, plain and simple. He can handle it, but he's a liability in several of those games because he's exhausted. If you have a good backup, which Biron is, you use him. Biron is up there with the best in the league. He's more of a starting goalie than a backup. I trust him much more than Valiquette

Old
08-16-2010, 05:00 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
15-20

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 05:11 PM
DubiDubiDoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
I don't really see what money has to do with it. 70+ games for Hank is probably too much, plain and simple. He can handle it, but he's a liability in several of those games because he's exhausted. If you have a good backup, which Biron is, you use him. Biron is up there with the best in the league. He's more of a starting goalie than a backup. I trust him much more than Valiquette
I agree 70+ would be too many, I'm hoping for 65-68. I also agree that I trust Biron more than Valiquette, but thats where our dfense comes in. If they are playing well I have no problem with Biron starting 20, but if the D is suspect I have to stand by what I said, and hope he only gets 12-15. Hank creates ties and wins out of games that should be losses. As much as I respect Biron, he's not on Hanks level and we cannot afford to sacrifice any points.
I think the money does have to come into play. 20 games is 25% of the season. If Biron is going to play more than 20 games, thats not putting out our best chance to win 1 in every 4 nights. If your a goalie making 7 million dollars I think from the goalies perspective as well as managements, your backup cant be carrying 25% of the load. Hank is our biggest difference maker and I think his production and contract dictate a certain level of expectation in performance and games played. Thats just my opinion though.

Old
08-16-2010, 05:23 PM
patnyrnyg

I'd like to see Biron get about 18-24 starts.

patnyrnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 06:41 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiDubiDoo View Post
At what cost?

Some posters here made me question the value of an elite goaltender when Leighton and Niemi, no disrespect to either, were battling it out for the Stanley Cup. Neither had seen much action before the New Year, both appeared in only 30-ish regular season games IIRC. Hell, Leighton had been out for like 6 weeks as the playoffs began. It's not like it's a rare occurrence either. I'd say you've got to look back to 2003 to find an "Elite" class goaltender lead his team to the Stanley Cup.

Hard to say whether that favors a skater vs. goaltender argument, or a "keep him fresh" approach to goaltending, but I think appearing in 100 games over the course of a successful season is pushing it for even the best of the best.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 06:52 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
At what cost?

Some posters here made me question the value of an elite goaltender when Leighton and Niemi, no disrespect to either, were battling it out for the Stanley Cup. Neither had seen much action before the New Year, both appeared in only 30-ish regular season games IIRC. Hell, Leighton had been out for like 6 weeks as the playoffs began. It's not like it's a rare occurrence either. I'd say you've got to look back to 2003 to find an "Elite" class goaltender lead his team to the Stanley Cup.

Hard to say whether that favors a skater vs. goaltender argument, or a "keep him fresh" approach to goaltending, but I think appearing in 100 games over the course of a successful season is pushing it for even the best of the best.
He never had the workload of Hank or Marty, but I'd say JS Giguere was definitely a top 10, maybe top 5 goalie from around 2001-02 through the year he won the stanley cup. He has a good playoff track record as well.

But I agree with the point of your post. And I think the biggest lesson to be learned if you look at the teams that have made it to the cup post-lockout is there are plenty of different formulas to make it to the finals.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 07:14 PM
DubiDubiDoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
At what cost?

Believe me, I would love to have a team that was good enough for hank to only have to play 60 games, at times we just seem so talentless though. Hank is our single best player and we need to ride him if we are going to have any success.

I agree with what your saying though because I believe in a year that we are good enough to compete for the cup, it will be a year where Hank doesn't have to play
60+ games

Old
08-17-2010, 02:42 AM
darko

Hank started 72 games last season. Around 62 would be fine by me.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 11:28 AM
Fataldogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
Lundqvist has handled the work load fine. Conditioning isn't a problem with Henrik. He has played excellent down the stretch year after year while posting 70+ starts. He was one of the best goaltenders in the NHL last season, "tired" or not. IF this team wants to make the playoffs they'll have to rely on Henrik to play 65 - 70 games at a minimum. They will likely be on the outside looking in for most of the season next year, therefore they will need to put in a goaltender who gives them their best chance at winning a game and that would be Henrik.

People here thinking Biron is going to come in and play 20-games are off their rocker. Biron isn't going to give this team a legitimate chance at a playoff. Granted, I feel a lot more comfortable with him in net than with other back ups we have had BUT lets see how he can even handle it first. Biron played on a poor team last year, played poorly, and lost the starting job to a 39-year old goaltender.

Believe me guys, Henrik won't feel pushed to do his best because of Biron being competition but because he has something to prove. Tortorella isn't a fool, he knows putting Henrik in a game gives the team the best opportunity to win game and game out and as long as Henrik is on a roll OR having a good year Biron is going to have a tough time getting in the line up. Biron will be there just to give him a break on the nights he needs it. Henrik won't need to take off 20+ games to remain competitive / elite all season.

Fataldogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 12:21 PM
pwoz

I have a bad feeling that Hank has a bad knee already.

pwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 02:23 PM
Giacomin

Marty should play about 20-22 games this year

Giacomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 02:24 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

15-17.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 02:40 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

A Poll must be added to this thread.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 04:07 PM
ManicSubsidal15

Send a message via AIM to ManicSubsidal15
I think the best number would be around 25 actually, that way it keeps Hank super rested and ready for a (hopefully) long playoff run, so it works in the short term, and also if Biron plays around that many next year too it starts to give Henrik more of a break which means a longer injury free career. I just dont wanna see him play 70+ games a year and then really go down hill at like 33 or something cause he was overworked for years.

ManicSubsidal15 is offline   Reply With Quote