HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

A year later... most improved habs

Closed Thread

Old
04-14-2005, 10:34 PM
Fenriz

vCash: 500
A year later... most improved habs

The habs last playoff game was around may 1st 2004 and if their is an agreement soon in the NHL they will play their next game around october 5 2005. So its gonna be a year and a half later in the best scenario. I wonder what player would be the most improved hab after that long break. I am not talking about prospects only the NHL regular players.

1. Andrei Markov, he had a great year in RSL playing a lot in Tournaments like the Shanahan tour, World cup, world championship, playoffs, regular season. He will be 26 years old and defensemens are getting better older than forwards. He will hit is prime and become a true number one. He could become one of the best NHL offensive d-men.

2. Mike Ribeiro, Mike haven't play alot this year spending the fall playing in la caravane and then playing some games in the finnish league a very physical league. You cannot look over Ribeiro skills and again this player will gain some maturity at 25. He is cocky and I hope he remainds the same because this is what makes him a good player... is confidence. Ribeiro will pill up the assists if matched with a Ryder and another capable 2nd liner.

3. Sheldon Souray, he is on a good year with is sweden team playing some playoffs there and playing with team Canada will help him a lot as he will be surrounded by good d-mens from whom he will learn from. He is 28 so his best years are not behind him. He could be a top 2 d-men for years to come.. if healty!. Also he didn't had any serious injury this year wich is great to say the least, for him, I hope he remains the same physically and he could become a great leader for us , maybe our next captain.

4. José Théodore, José played with La Caravane in the fall wich is not a serious thing BUT for goalies it was a GREAT practice because it was wide open and there was scoring chances all the time, goalies were abused ! So I think it wasn't bad for him at least. And then, a good part or the season in Sweden where he performed well. José will also hit is prime in maturity but I don't expect him to be dominant for many years. He is relying a lot on his quickness and reflexes and when he will get older he could slow down (hope not !!). Hope his injury wasn't serious. If it was a groin injury it is very bad for goalies and could stay for a longtime ( I had a groin injury. I know what I am talking about).

5. Jan Bulis, Bulis had a great year in Czech Republic wich was a very challenging serie this year with a lot of NHLers. He used is speed to produce a lot in the bigger ice. Bulis is still young and can still become a better player, he have a good work ethic and working hard. I expect him to remains the same but with a better offensive production if played on PP or first 2 lines.

I think they are the top 5 most improved player we will have next year and If they all become what I expect they could bring our team to contender status.

Old
04-14-2005, 10:36 PM
Zednik

my vote goes to Bulis.

Also Ryder got decent numbers.

Old
04-14-2005, 11:05 PM
Habs4Life

vCash: 915
How about Perez?

Old
04-14-2005, 11:12 PM
Mooch

Send a message via MSN to Mooch
Man, thats really tough to say, because every player played in a different league. Some in more competitive then others. Some more physical then others, and so on. Also, the only way most of us were able to judge them were by their numbers, and we all know that numbers mean nothing, because it largely depends on where your playing, and with whom. Of course, there are many other factors that play in to, like how many games they played, how many minutes, and so much more.

But if i absolutely had to choose a player based on numbers and others opinions, my vote would go out to Bulis or possibly even Perezhogin considering he played on a third line in a very competetive league, and still put up the numbers.

Old
04-14-2005, 11:35 PM
NewHabsEra*

I like alot the season Markov had in the RSL, I expect him to be more dominant offensively when the game resume considering our team will be more overall skilled..

Perezhogin had the season I expected to...

Bulis had an amazing season in the SEL looking by his more than impressve stats, will be interesting to see him in the NHL again..

Grabovski is a great surprise to me... This is exceptionnal and unexpected what he did in the RSL.. I will probably have the chance to see him play soon. (thx to our writer)

But the more satisfacted season from any is without any doubt Chris Higgins... I was very very very pleased to see him in every games I could watch.. His numbers dont reflect the reality.. He is great and dominant in every areas of the game, he creates alot of scoring chances and turnovers by his skills, speed and incredible determination... He will be a Habs for years you can bet your house on that! A kid with such skills and such heart is something every teams are looking for... Will be a major upgrade over Dagenais as soon as the game resume.

I was gonna forget Danis... Just wow!

Old
04-15-2005, 05:39 AM
eddy

I was most impress with Bulis, Perezhogin and Grabovski, they'd be my top 3.

Old
04-15-2005, 07:04 AM
alexstream

#1 I'd really have to say Honza Bulis (I think Honza is his Czech name) well above everybody else, his numbers in the Czech league are comparable to Hedjuk's !!!

#2 has to be Perez. Last season he never got called to the habs. This season he was best habs prospect, but not only that, he cut the first lines in an overcrowded RSL (and Russian coach are usually picky with rookies) and made the national team... Wow, that is improvment, wins my habs calder.

#3 Danis. signed as a no namer, carved his way up the ladder, way up it actually almost to Jose's backup status... some fans are already ready to trade Jose!!! but AHL and NHL are different so GO DANIS, keep on working hard don't think that the next step will be that easy. Next year I wanna see him dominate badly AHL and make the dogs a contender by himself. Quite impressive that he could go from 30 college games to 60 AHL games and be among the best and among the rookie of the year... etc! Bravo

#4 Sheldon Souray. Wow! This guy is THE player in SEL!!! he could be make his case to captain Sweden team at the next WC ... seriously, what impressed me is that he could be reliable on bigger ice surfaces. I would have never thought that!! I think he could be a surprising star at the WC! Go CANADA!

#5 Higgins! wonder who will replace Dags next season? wonder who will be our next calder nominee? well don't look too far cause Higgins is the new hot stuff (not that gross frozen kinda pizza pocket with beef & gravy). He's not that hot right now, but I point him as directly responsible for the Dogs hot run to a playoff spot good mentions goes to the constant play of Plek & Danis and the arrival of the vet, but Higgs was really the MVP to my eyes.

Good mentions, but not impressed:

Ribs... well, never been a question about his ability to produce offensively, even in his first call ups back in the days... but how 'bout his overall game? was he hitting and backchecking in Finland? As long as these two aspects will be almost totally out of his game, I won't be a believer, although I'll always appreciate his shifty moves and his acting. Ribs lover, don't try to convince me on this one, it's Ribs task and not yours .

Jose, Glad to see that he could match up other NHLer stats (kipper) in SEL, but I wasn't impressed to see him do well.

Markov, he was already very hot toward the end of the season, even giving some good hits during the season, so seeing doing well in RSL doesn't impress me at all.

Old
04-15-2005, 08:33 AM
Squeaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenriz
I am not talking about prospects only the NHL regular players.
Nice to see that everyone totally ignored that line.

Bunch of habs impressed me with their play overseas. Start with Bulis, what a year he had! He's an easy one though, so let's move on.

Souray seems to have had an excellent year. He's really starting to look like a real top-notch defenseman. I have to admit, I was a bit skeptical at first on him, but he's starting to win me over. Please, please, please stay healthy Sheldon, we need you!

Next I have to go with Sundstrom. He wasn't playing in the most competitive league, but he did put up great numbers. I don't really care that he wasn't in the strongest league, it's not like he needs the experience. He's staying fit, and that's all he really needs to do. Hopefully he can bring a little more offense to the NHL when it resumes, that would make him so much more useful.

Next up is the cube. He's hardly been talked about, but I think he put up great numbers. Again, not the strongest league, but 18 pts in 21 games as a D is still pretty solid.

Finally I go with Bouillon's teamate, Ryder. 1.5 points per game is solid. Almost a goal a game. He dominated the lower level of competition, as he should have. I'm hoping that a year like this will keep him from succumbing to the sophmore slump. Keep up the good work!

Other guys had good years, but they didn't really seem like much of an improvement or surprise to me. Theo was ok, but he's supposed to be that good. Ribs put up some points, as he should. Ditto for Saku and Zednik.

Old
04-15-2005, 08:43 AM
wedge

Bulis for me

but who knows if he'll do as well in the nhl

Old
04-15-2005, 09:11 AM
Habs4Life

vCash: 915
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexstream
#1 I'd really have to say Honza Bulis (I think Honza is his Czech name) well above everybody else, his numbers in the Czech league are comparable to Hedjuk's !!!

#2 has to be Perez. Last season he never got called to the habs. This season he was best habs prospect, but not only that, he cut the first lines in an overcrowded RSL (and Russian coach are usually picky with rookies) and made the national team... Wow, that is improvment, wins my habs calder.

#3 Danis. signed as a no namer, carved his way up the ladder, way up it actually almost to Jose's backup status... some fans are already ready to trade Jose!!! but AHL and NHL are different so GO DANIS, keep on working hard don't think that the next step will be that easy. Next year I wanna see him dominate badly AHL and make the dogs a contender by himself. Quite impressive that he could go from 30 college games to 60 AHL games and be among the best and among the rookie of the year... etc! Bravo

#4 Sheldon Souray. Wow! This guy is THE player in SEL!!! he could be make his case to captain Sweden team at the next WC ... seriously, what impressed me is that he could be reliable on bigger ice surfaces. I would have never thought that!! I think he could be a surprising star at the WC! Go CANADA!

#5 Higgins! wonder who will replace Dags next season? wonder who will be our next calder nominee? well don't look too far cause Higgins is the new hot stuff (not that gross frozen kinda pizza pocket with beef & gravy). He's not that hot right now, but I point him as directly responsible for the Dogs hot run to a playoff spot good mentions goes to the constant play of Plek & Danis and the arrival of the vet, but Higgs was really the MVP to my eyes.

Good mentions, but not impressed:

Ribs... well, never been a question about his ability to produce offensively, even in his first call ups back in the days... but how 'bout his overall game? was he hitting and backchecking in Finland? As long as these two aspects will be almost totally out of his game, I won't be a believer, although I'll always appreciate his shifty moves and his acting. Ribs lover, don't try to convince me on this one, it's Ribs task and not yours .

Jose, Glad to see that he could match up other NHLer stats (kipper) in SEL, but I wasn't impressed to see him do well.

Markov, he was already very hot toward the end of the season, even giving some good hits during the season, so seeing doing well in RSL doesn't impress me at all.
Take Souray out and put in Mikhail Grabovski and you have a good list.. IMO Souray has not really improved. I think he was the same player we saw last year so he really didn't improve.

Old
04-15-2005, 11:57 AM
Dynasty

I'd say Ryder, Bulis & Bouillion in that order. Other than that, statistically speaking nobody got me overly excited.

Projecting Ryder's numbers to an 82 game schedule he would have scored about 70 goals or more. Did anybody come close to this, even in the ECHL? I think that most people would agree that Tier II in Sweden is somehere between ECHL & AHL in terms of league quality.

Here's and interesting quote by poster Swe_Hab to support my case:

"I've watched some AHL games, not this year, though... But from what I saw I'd say that the playoffs to the elite-leauge is better than the AHL. Anyways, Ryder and Boullion didn't just put up some nice stats, they also played REALLY well. I'd say that they were the reason why Leksand made it to the elite- league. Also, remember that Trent Hunter, Shawn Machechern, Radovan Somik, Chris Phillips and those guys also played in the same playoffs and didn't put up anywhere near Ryder and Bouillons numbers.

Just my five cents..."

And a very interesting five cents worth IMO!

Old
04-15-2005, 12:51 PM
Habs13

#1 Jan Bulis

Bulis put up some serious numbers while taking a large amount pf penalties too. But what does that mean? Does it mean he's developed anasty edge? A hard hitting, gritty grinding edge? If so, we have ourselves a hell of a third line, paired with Bonk!

#2 Francis Bouillon

Frank the tank dosen't get enough respect in Montreal. If he was bigger, the fans would love him.. but he isn't. He plays like he's 8 feet tall though. He hits hard.. and in Tier II this past year, he put up some decent numbers too. He might not be able to retain a top 6 spot, but hopefully he's kept around as a number 7 guy. I was impressed with offensive chip ins.

#3 Michael Ryder

I don't care that he was playing Tier II, the kid was robbed of he Calder last year but still put up solid numbers this year. 60 points in 42 points is impressive, no matter what anybody says. Then, if youtake into consideration that other NHLers played in this league and did nowhere near as good as Ryder, you'll see why I picked him. (See Trent Hunter, who had a decent rookie year with the Islanders)

Edit: Dynasty, you mind reader, you!

Old
04-15-2005, 01:32 PM
bopeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4Life
Take Souray out and put in Mikhail Grabovski and you have a good list.. IMO Souray has not really improved. I think he was the same player we saw last year so he really didn't improve.
Now when you say the same player as last year, I'm wondering which one. The Souray that dominated at the beginning of the season, or the second half injured one?

Old
04-15-2005, 02:40 PM
Form and Substance

i don't think any of them has improved in fact the most they can hope is to not regress. That being said, I think Jan Bulis confidence has sored and will finally enable him to put the puck in te net once the NHL resumes.

Old
04-15-2005, 03:53 PM
Vic Rattlehead*

Any chance on their being a thread of least improved?

Seriously though, I see Souray as you most improved player. He gained plenty of experience from playing with one of the top teams in Sweden, and should be better when the NHL comes back. He will have more confidence as well, as he was selected to team Canada. I see him as being your most improved player.

Old
04-15-2005, 03:56 PM
x-bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19bruins19

Seriously though, I see Souray as you most improved player. He gained plenty of experience from playing with one of the top teams in Sweden, and should be better when the NHL comes back. He will have more confidence as well, as he was selected to team Canada. I see him as being your most improved player.
as least improved I would nominate Pierre Dagenais

Old
04-15-2005, 05:08 PM
English Hab

Send a message via AIM to English Hab Send a message via MSN to English Hab
From what i've read and heard, my vote for most improved has to go to Yann. He is looking mroe and mroe like a great acquistion with every Hamiliton report i read. Not only will he be a backup in the NHL within 2-3 years, he will be a darn good one with the ability to become a great Number 1.

I'ts also nice to read about Grabovski... even thought his stature has scared many a person off, in regards his prospects off achieving a regular NHL roster spot... his initial reports are nothing short of Very good.. and there must be some hope for him have a good career in hockey.

Old
04-15-2005, 05:11 PM
English Hab

Send a message via AIM to English Hab Send a message via MSN to English Hab
Quote:
Originally Posted by x-bob
as least improved I would nominate Pierre Dagenais
hey there x-bob hold on there!!!!!!!..

Hold of the Dags battering.... would you....

Cut the guy some slack... lets be honest he can't be the least improved player this year...

As to be completely truthful he never really had anything as a hockey base to do any sort of improving on...

You can take a horse to water but you can't make it drink... i think that springs to mind where i look at Pierre!!!!

Old
04-16-2005, 11:07 AM
Guy Caballero

I'm a little disappointed not to see Hossa mentioned in this thread at all, considering how much room he had for improvement. Can we officially say "bust" yet?

Old
04-16-2005, 01:19 PM
Habsfan 32

Send a message via ICQ to Habsfan 32 Send a message via MSN to Habsfan 32
I think Bulis was the biggest surprise and from all the things I've red it looks like he has improve alot so that's a good thing. Bulis on the 3rd line with Higgins an Bonk would be a nice defensive line that could also produce some offense.

Old
04-16-2005, 01:21 PM
Mooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Caballero
I'm a little disappointed not to see Hossa mentioned in this thread at all, considering how much room he had for improvement. Can we officially say "bust" yet?
No.

He may not have dominated, but he also was not terrible.

Old
04-16-2005, 01:36 PM
gars59

chipchura surprise me

Old
04-16-2005, 01:37 PM
Mooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by gars59
chipchura surprise me
Good pick!

For the number of games he played before he got injured, and his performance after his injury deserves a nomination!

However, i still would not put him above guys like Bulis and Perezhogin, because quite simply, he just didn't play for the whole season.

Old
04-16-2005, 01:54 PM
Habsaku

I dont see how you can put guys like Perezhogin, Grabvosky, Higgins or any players that arent even Habs players yet.

The guy did say most improved Habs.

Old
04-16-2005, 02:19 PM
Quiet Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19bruins19

I agree with the Souray vote. I think he proved it wasen't just a 1 year thing. He showed that when he stays healthy he's a very complete defenceman. It seems like he was one of the top defencemen in the SEL. Plus, as you said, he got some good playoff experience as well as being named to team Canada.

I would also add an HM to Jason Ward. He started off slow, but he's the Captain of the Dogs and leads by example every night. He did start off rather slow, but I think he'll come back next year and be a really solid contributor with the Habs. This year's experience, along with the big role he's been given can only help him. I think when Sundstrom is gone, if Ward keeps working hard, he could get that 3rd line spot. Bulis-Bonk-Ward would be a nice checking line who could score. Plus they've got nice size.

Closed Thread