HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How do you feel about the Habs roster for 2010/2011?

Old
08-16-2010, 08:17 PM
scottyG

vCash: 500
How exactly are we an "average/below average team"?

Horrible is like Toronto or Edmonton
Average is like Tampa, NYI or Colombus
Above average is Montreal, Boston, Philly,etc
Elite is Washington,Chicago,SJ, Pits

Name me the teams you would take before Montreal in

Offense
Defense
Goaltending

scottyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 08:42 PM
Emanresu Wen

If Andrei and Pouliot get their **** together, I can see us easily finishing first in the division

Think about it

Emanresu Wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 08:50 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyG View Post

Offense
Defense
Goaltending
15th-18th place is pretty damn close to average. Wouldn't you say? That's most likely where we finish.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 08:50 PM
Stradale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emanresu Wen View Post
If Andrei and Pouliot get their **** together, I can see us easily finishing first in the division

Think about it
No doubt about it. If both of them scores around 25 goals each, we will be battling for the first place in our division.

But that said.. we shouldn't only contemplate to make the playoffs but build a team for going further the playoffs too. With our actual team, I don't think we could go pass the Flyers if we ever face them in the playoffs again.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 08:52 PM
JayBee*

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyG View Post

Offense
Defense
Goaltending
Habs are not an above average team. They're average at best.

JayBee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 09:05 PM
VL55

I feel good. Like any true fan, I am naturally an optimist about my team but I find it particularly easy this year. This ain't the Canadiens circa 2000! I expect the chemestry and confidence to carry from the playoff run. If Price keeps posting saving avg above .900 like he has for the three previous seasons, it'll be a good year.

VL55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 10:01 PM
E = CH²

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
Regressed from where? From the start of last season or from the end of last season? Or from after their playoff run.
Don't know which, but you're right. It's hard to regress from getting SOed 3 times in 5 games.

I mean...

E = CH² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 10:32 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
On offense : It's tough to say that there's even one line that I am sure will do good. Plecky's line is alright, but will AK wake up this year? Gomez and Gionta play well together, but will Pouliot rise to the occasion, or disappear after flashes of a scoring winger? Two bottom lines, seems like a lot of people around here can't even figure out what it will be just yet. And at that ; How will Boyd do? Will Lapierre show up this year? What will we see of Eller?

It's easy to assume what could happen, but for me it's a whole bunch of questions that can't be answered until the start of the season.

On defense : Markov is out to start, that will be a huge blow. Subban will likely make the line-up and that will be a plus in terms of puck movement, speed and additional offensive input. Hamrlik and Spacek, it's really a toss of the dice. They can either be brilliantly defensive or crap the bad and look 10 years older then their actual age. Gill and Gorges should be a lock to a great defensive pairing, hopefully. Will O'byrne get played at all? How about someone like Weber getting a call?

Again, some questions in there. But at least there are a few more things that can leave a Habs fan confident that the defense will be decent.

On goal-tending : With Price not signed, and Auld is a back-up, it's hard to tell. We'll just pretend like he's signed to make this easier to evaluate. Price is 23, he had not such a good season last year but it's overlooked on many aspects as well. A lot of the games he didn't win, we're not his fault. How many times did he keep the team in it, only to be let down? He's not perfect, but at the age of 23 there is still TONS of time for him to work on his game and become the goaltender everyone around here wants him to be. Question is, will he rise to the occasion now that Halak is out of the picture? And will Auld provide some support that could be needed? I watched him play with a few other teams, and he can be good as a back-up.

So how do I feel? Un-easy. There's just way too many question marks in the air for me to pretend to be optimistic. I will hope for the best, but there's no way of telling just yet. I'm not pessimistic either, because I don't think the line-up is that bad, however I think people need to take a look at a lot of the teams in the East and realize what they did that we didn't, and how much better some of them have gotten, while the Habs added a few players and hope for some others to snap out of it.

Rather pessimistic outlook.

Markov out? Last season he was injured in game 1 and didn't return until game 36. Expect him to play many more games this season. Subban will be better this season than last. Spacek will be in better shape.

Eller? He doesn't have to be the rookie of the year to surpass what SK did for the team. S Kost had a slow start and then was injured when he was starting to come on. Pouliot also played injured. Gionta and Cammallari missed games. There are untried new players who coul be pleasant surprises.

If Price plays as well as he did in the first two games last season the Habs will start with four points.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 10:44 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

One word: Lars Eller. If he doesn't make the team or he's just average then we'll barely make the playoffs. Because overall, I don't have much confidence in the team and if we make it it's gonna be via a wild card. PK Suban being there at the beginning of the year will help us too.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 10:45 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
Don't know which, but you're right. It's hard to regress from getting SOed 3 times in 5 games.

I mean...
I was just being rhetorical.

My comment was more about my feeling we are in better shape going into this season than we were going into last season.

Frozenice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 11:28 PM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Muller View Post
Its a decent team. Today on paper they appear to be around 7th in the Conference if i was to predict but there is definite potential to be better.

Will the real Andrei Kostitsyn please stand up??? Is he the 50-60 point, 25-30 goal scorer. Or just another 20/20 guy.

Does Pouliot show consistency for an entire season?

These two guys really go a long way in deciding Montreal's fate from borderline playoff team to Division Challenger. The teams knows what to expect from Gomez, Gionta, Cammalleri, and Plekanec. Those two becoming consistent scoring threats solidifies the top 6. Also , Pouliot played injured from the fight with Redden , he played with it. He also injured himself again in playoffs.

As for defense. Montreal always has been sum greater then number of parts. Nothing flashy usually but unspectacular and reliable.

Price is another factor. In general pretty solid last year but needs to steal more games like he did as a rookie. The .912 SP is right there with 90% of starters in the league.

Potential definitely there. I say Price, Akost, and Pouliot will decide if its a borderline playoff team or a solid division winner or 5-6 seed.
Pouliot had 15 goals in 39 games last season. That's around 30 for a season.. Not bad don't you think?. Is cammelleri consistent? Not at all. He's a streaky player. He had 13 games with not goals before the playoffs. Pouliot is a streaky player too.

QuebecPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 12:33 AM
Playmaker09
Valar Morghulis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emanresu Wen View Post

Think about it
Thing is, IF everything goes right there's still 3-4 teams that I can confidently say are better than we are. (WSH, PIT, PHI, NJD w/ Kovy)
However, it's much more likely that we hit a bump in the road and finish in 7-10th once again.

We have 4 clear problems IMO that prevent us from being contenders:

1. We need a big, physical, goalscoring winger to complete our top 6 and improve our 5-on-5 scoring.
2. We lack the scoring depth to compensate for our lack of true first line players outside of Cammy.
3. Our defense is fairly slow.
4. Price has not yet shown the consistency needed to earn the 60ish starts he will likely receive this season.

#4 IMO will likely straighten itself out, but the other three need to be addressed. IMO you can fix #1 and #2 in one move (acquire the winger and bump Pouliot down to the third line).

Playmaker09 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 12:34 AM
Crimson Skorpion

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Rather pessimistic outlook.

Markov out? Last season he was injured in game 1 and didn't return until game 36. Expect him to play many more games this season. Subban will be better this season than last. Spacek will be in better shape.

Eller? He doesn't have to be the rookie of the year to surpass what SK did for the team. S Kost had a slow start and then was injured when he was starting to come on. Pouliot also played injured. Gionta and Cammallari missed games. There are untried new players who coul be pleasant surprises.

If Price plays as well as he did in the first two games last season the Habs will start with four points.
That's awesome. I'm not sure what the outcome will be because there's a few things I find uncertain and I'm pessimistic now?

Markov was out last year, that's correct. The Habs made the playoffs last year because they were able to secure a point against the Leafs in the last game of the season and even lost the game. Yes, they had a great playoff run, but nobody will argue that they were lucky to make it there in the first place.

Eller doesn't need to be a rookie of the year candidate, but I don't know what he'll be capable of. Why is it that everyone around here thinks he's a God-send? I'm happy to see youth with skill on the team, but man give the kid at least a little bit of time before we expect anything of him.

Injuries are crap-shoot, because we don't know if they'll happen. Come on, nobody really expects Markov to continue to get injured. Just like nobody expects anyone else to repeatedly get injured. But that's unpredictable so you can't throw the whole "well he was injured, so that's why" because it can happen again,

Pouliot played hurt? I know that. He also was playing hurt when he was scoring left and right. What's your point? He played hurt scoring and he played hurt regressing, I don't see how that's a point.

And Price. Yes, IF he does play the way he did at the start, we'll be fine. That's a quite obvious statement to make. But your entire post surrounded around the word "IF" which is what my initial post was about. So...

Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 01:04 AM
TheBuriedHab

This team should be better this season imo. Remember this team was made the **** over last season.
Everyone was new. The coach was new too. Now our coach knows the players better and the players know each other better too. Long playoff run should add confidence to this group aswell. A big factor is going to be Subban. He is instant offense and is going to help our transition game a ton. I don't see Lars Eller as a make or break guy for the club this year. If he has a solid season, great, if he doesn't I think we have others than can pick up the slack. Of course Carey is THE biggest factor to all of this. I think the playoff run did him alot of good too. I see the habs finishing 4-7 next year.

TheBuriedHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 01:41 AM
goman

Nervous and excited, like always.

Excited to see...
- What kind of player Eller is and what impact he can have at this level
- Subban's apprenticeship under Hammer
- Cammy and Gionta continuing where they left off
- Markov and Cammy together on the PP
- Carey taking a giant leap forward in maturity and consistency
- AK and Poulliot figuring some things out
- A captain!
- Avstin in NA

Worried about...
- Goaltending consistency and depth in case of injury
- Pacioretty's development
- Our aging 3 on D
- The Bruins and Flyers

goman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 01:47 AM
Max Levine

Surely, Gauthier/Martin are counting on the fact that they have spent a year developing this team and that their top 6 should be able to produce on a regular basis. I don't know if Pouliot can perform on a consistent basis the way he did when he first joined the team but it would be nice to start the season with one less question mark.

I like the additions of Eller and Boyd on the bottom 6 but I need to see how JM intends to use them both. Hopefully this will generate more offensive pressure.

On defense, missing Markov for a few games would still be an improvement from last October's disastrous outcome. I expect rookie mistakes from Subban but he's got such a great attitude and he is surrounded with experience and leadership so his contribution should be significant.

As for Price, my expectations are quite high but not because management traded Halak. I liked his attitude during the playoffs, helping out Halak, cheering his teammates, confronting SK. I think he's an excellent goalie who needs to be more consistent. He will have a whole season to prove he can be one of the top in the league.

Habs have a good team. Obviously, if you thought this same team wasn't worth much last fall, you must have a hard time believing they can do better today. But I'm one of those who thought Gomez, Gionta and Cammalleri were improving this squad quite a bit and so I expect better results this next season if we can lower to a minimum the number of games missed due to injuries. Should be fighting for 1st place in their own division and hang in 5th-6th place in the conference.

Max Levine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 02:05 AM
FF de Mars

What make you think AK and Pouliot will suck ? They both have things to proove. They will be pumped.

FF de Mars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 03:04 AM
TheBuriedHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF de Mars View Post
What make you think AK and Pouliot will suck ? They both have things to proove. They will be pumped.
Thats true. I feel as though we will Lose AK either way after this season though. If he Performs poorly he is definitely gone. Montreal has invested so much time into him and money. Also seeing all the other players drafted in that draft class flourishing will probably be the end of him.

If he plays well and pots 30+ goals, he will probably price himself out of here looking for 5+ million. I'd deal him for something of value now if I could.

TheBuriedHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 05:16 AM
shortcat1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
I think the board knows what I think.
No, I don't. There are too many of us here for me to keep tabs on everybody's feelings towards everything associated with hockey, especially the Canadiens.

In any case, as is always the case, I start the year full of hope tempered by the fact that I know that there are other teams that are aiming for the same goal as mine.

I like the Canadiens, no matter the team make-up. I'm simply a Canadians fan (since I was 10 years old in 1960) who enjoys being 'associated' with the crest, colours, history & players.

It's been fun. It's been a joy. It's been disappointment. It's been a part of who I am and I'm happy that way,

shortcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 05:06 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecPride View Post
Pouliot had 15 goals in 39 games last season. That's around 30 for a season.. Not bad don't you think?. Is cammelleri consistent? Not at all. He's a streaky player. He had 13 games with not goals before the playoffs. Pouliot is a streaky player too.
Again, for an ENTIRE SEASON. 39 games doesn't make a season. You don't pro-rate stats. Again, DOES HE PROVE CONSISTENT OVER AN ENTIRE SEASON. If you don't think there are question marks regarding that, then you sir are delusional.

Also, Pouliot went goal less in 18 playoff games and had 1 goal in the previous 15 games in the regular season. So thats 1 goal in 33 games. So again, i guess you think thats consistent.

Also Cammalleri was coming back from a long injury. Big difference.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2010, 06:13 AM
WestIslander

I am excited and cannot wait!

The good:

- A captain after almost 2 years
- Cammalleri! Enough said
- Markov 100% healthy
- Eller, Boyd, Picard, Pacioretty, White and Pyatt (the youth movement)
- SUBBAN!!!

The bad:

- Price, I am a little worried at times
- Pouliot and Kostitsyn not being productive
- Gauthier as GM
- The French media and their stupid questions
- No goaltending depth in case Price get's hurt

The starting lines I want:

Cammalleri - Plekanec - Kostitsyn
Pouliot - Gomez - Gionta
Pacioretty - Eller - Lapierre
Pyatt - Boyd - Moen

Darche

Markov - Gorges
Hamrlik - Subban
Gill - Spacek

O'Byrne
Picard

Price
Auld

WestIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2010, 06:30 AM
HotPie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
I like the team. I don't see how you look at it on paper and avoid the fighting-for-7th-or-8th prediction though. But there is youth, energy, leadership, and we can dare to hope that some of it all breaks out to exceed that baseline.

I think in the modern NHL that's about all a fan of any team can realistically ASK for, actually. Sure, some teams manage to boost themselves into more elite expectations. But that's hard to achieve. We're in a reasonable spot. Not different maybe from 10-20 other teams in the league. Waiting to see how things pan out with young players, injuries, chemistry, etc. Nothing wrong with that. Some of the teams in this group are going to overachieve and give their fans more. Maybe we can be one.
That sums up my opinion perfectly.

HotPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2010, 07:06 AM
Belso

I am not so sure one one thing.. Goalkeeping...

I have nothing against Price, but last year, he couldn't buy a win...

So it's all up to him IMO...

We will see....

Belso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2010, 07:22 AM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
Habs are not an above average team. They're average at best.
So your telling me that we are the same as the New York Islanders and the Blue Jackets . In case you haven't noticed they didn't make the playoff's in recent years . And Montreal did . Thus being above average .

Richiebottles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2010, 07:26 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Since all the worries I share have been mentioned already, I will talk of the things I am excited about for this year's team.

Last season, Gomer was close to PPG clip when Markov was in the lineup and Gio was 0,5 goalspg in that same span. Couple this with the fact Subban seemed to easily find chemistry when he was with the Squid and Plex, and you have yourself two lines that can be backed-up by a premiere offensive D, and there's no mistake to be done about it, I very much doubt Subban won't produce from the getgo. Sooooo...

What I really like is having two lines that have a working combination, with Gomez-Gio-Markov and Cammy-Plex-Subban. And both these lines will have very good defensive Ds to be coupled with. The only question mark remains the two last spots on the top 6. The two wingers to complement those two lines.

What I really like is that our D, with Markov, is extremely versatile and talented. When healthy, our D is among the most offensive in the league, Subban left to be proven, sure, but really, who here doubts this kid will not contribute and have an impact?

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote