HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

No Saturday home games?

Old
08-16-2010, 09:24 PM
Olympic nut

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
Terrible scheduling by the organization here...or just MSG in general. Really dropping the ball. I love seeing the kids at the games. They love it, they are into it, and it's a great experience overall for them.

I like that whoever pointed out the "roszival sucks" from the 300's and I couldn't agree anymore. Sucks to hear idiots that can't control thier tongues when the little ones are about. What's worse is the look on the dads face that just spent $300 to get his kids in there to begin with.

Back to topic...MSG drops the scheduling ball here.
Is it MSG, or is it the NHL? There are Ranger fans in most NHL cities, so the Rangers can actually put butts in seats in away arenas. Still, it's amazingly short-sighted by the NHL if it limits access to potential young Rangers fans.

I work every weekday until at least 7:00 pm. This blows for me.

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 09:30 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface Avery View Post
When you buy tickets to the game especially at these prices you are entitled to say certain things.

Certain profanities may be extreme but Roszival sucks...if you can't handle that dont bring your kids to the game
It's the more extreme guys that I am talking about. The "get off the *** ice Roszival, you *** suck"...And believe me, they are there.

Also I get what your saying...Your a paying customer, say what you will. To me, there a line there that shouldn't be crossed. If I got kids in front of me i'd restrain. I hope that others would too if my kids were in front of them.

Which is why afternoon matinee's are great to bring the family too. Less likely to have that element at the game.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 09:32 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 View Post
Is it MSG, or is it the NHL? There are Ranger fans in most NHL cities, so the Rangers can actually put butts in seats in away arenas. Still, it's amazingly short-sighted by the NHL if it limits access to potential young Rangers fans.

Good question...I would think MSG has a say in it.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 08:23 AM
skroob**

Very glad there is a lack of weekend/saturday games.

First of all, i prefer weekday games because i work 3 blocks from the garden, so i just walk to the game after work. nice and easy. Better than having to come into midtown on a day off.

Second, the less children the better, who are more interested in cotton candy, pretzels, foam fingers, and over sized top hats than the game. That and the 12 trips to the bathroom.

skroob** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 09:11 AM
aslim240

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
I feel for fans who want to bring their kids to a game on a weekend afternoon. Because I'm one of them.

I don't feel for those who want to "make a premium" on those tickets.
Part 1
The looking to "make a premium" on some games is to offset those games that I lose money at because they sell "at a discount". I go to 10-15 games and want to break even on the rest.

I actually wish the Rangers priced different games differently, I know that no one is paying face value to see Atlanta on a wed in october. So some tickets need to sell for more, and that means I sell tickets to opening night and to islander games, and I go to see the Atlanta game in October.

Part 2
As for the people who hate kids at games, I am curious when you started going to games.

Part 3
I didn t take my daughter until she was 9 or 10, because I wanted her to be old enough to: 1) remember and enjoy it, 2) cheer loudly (not boo the home team), 3) understand that some people are morons and should be ignored.

aslim240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 09:38 AM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHotRock View Post
hate them and hate the romper room atmosphere at msg during those games
well said.

I hate afternoon games, and sunday games. Don't mind saturday night games, but prefer friday nights. Really annoys me that all 3 games against the Flyers are on Sundays this season.

Last edited by patnyrnyg: 08-17-2010 at 09:49 AM.
patnyrnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 09:45 AM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
It's the more extreme guys that I am talking about. The "get off the *** ice Roszival, you *** suck"...And believe me, they are there.

Also I get what your saying...Your a paying customer, say what you will. To me, there a line there that shouldn't be crossed. If I got kids in front of me i'd restrain. I hope that others would too if my kids were in front of them.

Which is why afternoon matinee's are great to bring the family too. Less likely to have that element at the game.
Well, that is where you as a parent need to make sure your kids know they are not to repeat anything they hear. When I was a kid, my dad took my to games, and WWF all the time. On the way to the event he would remind me I better not use any inappropriate language and on the way home would remind me that I better not repeat anything or he would never take me again. That was all I needed.

Old
08-17-2010, 09:46 AM
x BEUKEBOOM x
Buuuuuuuuuuuk !

To those complaining about the Saturday games loaded with kids...

What? you have to have ALL the games to yourselves? The team used to schedual maybe a handfull of games for Sat afternoons so parents didnt have to drag their kids to the week night games. It's really that big of a problem that a few games were weekend games? Do you really attend EVERY game and it's a total drag on your life that a few games were schedualed with families in mind with kids that live an hour away in the burbs?

x BEUKEBOOM x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 09:47 AM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslim240 View Post
Part 1
The looking to "make a premium" on some games is to offset those games that I lose money at because they sell "at a discount". I go to 10-15 games and want to break even on the rest.

I actually wish the Rangers priced different games differently, I know that no one is paying face value to see Atlanta on a wed in october. So some tickets need to sell for more, and that means I sell tickets to opening night and to islander games, and I go to see the Atlanta game in October.
I never have a problem getting face value for those, just have to package them with better games.

Old
08-17-2010, 09:50 AM
ruckus*

This is a dumb debate. It's an individual thing and it'll change depending upon what point in your life you're at.

I'm not big on kids, but I'd rather them then a bunch of guys freaking out getting mad because I'm not yelling my head off like they are.

It's all a matter of opinion.

Just cause you think kids deserve opportunities to go to the game, or they annoy you, doesn't make you any better or worse than anyone else.

For those who don't like the afternoon games cause of the atmosphere...Don't go.

For those who are upset about there not being games during the day...Explain to your children how the real world works. Teach them something. Watch the games on MSG. And every once in a blue moon, take them to a game. They've over by 9:30 anyway.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 10:00 AM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by robruckus View Post
This is a dumb debate. It's an individual thing and it'll change depending upon what point in your life you're at.

I'm not big on kids, but I'd rather them then a bunch of guys freaking out getting mad because I'm not yelling my head off like they are.

It's all a matter of opinion.

Just cause you think kids deserve opportunities to go to the game, or they annoy you, doesn't make you any better or worse than anyone else.

For those who don't like the afternoon games cause of the atmosphere...Don't go.

For those who are upset about there not being games during the day...Explain to your children how the real world works. Teach them something. Watch the games on MSG. And every once in a blue moon, take them to a game. They've over by 9:30 anyway.
well said, couldn't agree more.

Old
08-17-2010, 10:11 AM
Shake and Bake

This is DEF GREAT. I dont want the Rangers playing when there are football games Sunday...

Shake and Bake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 10:25 AM
DontStepanMe

I'm happy that we don't have many Saturday matinee games. I'm always busy as hell each weekend and usually miss the games. More weeknight games = more games I can watch.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 10:56 AM
emodwarf

I've only been to a few MSG games, but every Rangers game here in Boston is on a Saturday afternoon. There are always a ton of kids/families, and it's never really bothered me.

My first Rangers game at MSG, a Christmas gift from my fiancee, was hampered by sitting in front of a group of really obnoxious, immature dudebro Islanders fans. THAT was way more annoying than kids, to me at least.

Hearing the goal horn and song in person made up for it, though.

emodwarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 01:06 PM
Giacomin

The bottom line is that the Rangers cater to the business crowd as far as ticket sales go and throw the fans a bone by scheduling 3-4 Sunday/Holiday games after the football season to bring the kids(clowns and facepainting included). I live and work in Suffolk County and the LIRR is super convenient on weeknights to go to a game

Giacomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 01:23 PM
satrabyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface Avery View Post
When you buy tickets to the game especially at these prices you are entitled to say certain things.

Certain profanities may be extreme but Roszival sucks...if you can't handle that dont bring your kids to the game
I dont want to turn this into a Roszivzl debate but by no means can anyone say he suks. I know this wont change your stubborn heads, but he is a strong skilled D man that is hard to find. He may lack confidence and feel more out of place without countrymen on the team but he still is a top 4 defender on any team period. Many games he is top 2 easy. Also was Top 1 for 2 years in a row. So no he does not suck. If you wanna yell anything yell Sather Suks or Managment Suks or scouting Suks for signing Drury and Redden and all his other stupid things they have done. Im not old but i find so many immature fans on this website when it comes to hockey.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 01:30 PM
satrabyk

Also in terms of kid. The profanity and innapropriate languge will not make or break there future. They will encounter it sooner or later and its how they respond and what you teach them that matters. You cannot keep them on a leash or hide them from reality because usually those kids end up the worst off.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 01:48 PM
rambler725

i personally wish there were more Friday night games than Saturday..work in city and it is almost most festive on Friday nights (lots of drinking and zaniness)..Saturday night is more like date and famlly night combined (more mellow) Sat and Sun afternoon is kid city.I don't mind weekend day games but it seems like we get hit hard and heavy with potential NBC games taking over in Feb and March. Spread out more often and less NBC control and I think we reach a happy medium.. At least this year there aren't as many October games at home..some years it seems as though 1/4 our home schedule is in October ..to me that is my biggest beef..why do we play so many games in October the acomodate the Knicks and college basketball ???

rambler725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2010, 08:52 AM
hockeygoon15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 View Post

I think this is more of an NHL thing, but I'm sure there is some team input. The Islanders, for example, had 15 Saturday home games last season and have 13 this season. I'm pretty sure the reason being that MSG will get butts in the seat on weeknights where as NVMC really needs weekends in order to get people through the gate (or a new building, but I digress). More ticket sales = higher league revenue = happier players and owners.

For what it's worth, it sucks for me as well. I work right across from the Coliseum and can walk to the games during the week. On the weekends it's a 30-45 min drive to come out. Oh well, I guess you can't please everyone.

hockeygoon15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2010, 11:12 AM
patnyrnyg

There definitely is team input, and the Rangers have never played a lot of saturday games. The Devils used to request no sunday games during football season, the Hurricanes request to not have home games when NC State has a home football game (complex is a similar set-up to the Meadowlands). I believe the Flyers request no home games when the Eagles are playing at home.