HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Official Rumor Thread--Kings Rumor Mill VI

Closed Thread

Old
08-16-2010, 06:01 PM
piston

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to piston
Quote:
Originally Posted by nki View Post
I know everyone takes it for granted, I'd just like to point out that just because they are homegrown doesn't mean they are automatically going to want to stay here at any cost.
You are correct, but with

Brown
Greene
Richardson
Kopitar
Simmonds
Handzus (who will get an extension, IMO)
Doughty
Scuderi
Quick
Bernier

we are approaching critical mass in terms of players who have the Kings' tattoo on their butt. The key to me is Johnson. This may be one of DL's biggest challenge this season, convincing Jack to stay here long term and commit to the program.

Old
08-16-2010, 06:02 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by nki View Post
I know everyone takes it for granted, I'd just like to point out that just because they are homegrown doesn't mean they are automatically going to want to stay here at any cost.
Of course not, but it sure helps.

Kovalchuk would have never thought about signing with NJ before he played for him. NJ would have never offered him a contract if they didn't trade for him.

Old
08-16-2010, 06:03 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by piston View Post
we are approaching critical mass in terms of players who have the Kings' tattoo on their butt. The key to me is Johnson. This may be one of DL's biggest challenge this season, convincing Jack to stay here long term and commit to the program.
I think that gettting Johnson a legit partner, whether it is Mitchell or not, could be key. He's had to play with Blake and Jones. Ugh....

Old
08-16-2010, 06:06 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
I think that gettting Johnson a legit partner, whether it is Mitchell or not, could be key. He's had to play with Blake and Jones. Ugh....
His first year he played quite a bit with the awesome power that is Jaroslav Modry. Don't underestimate that. Actually, I thought Modry did a pretty decent job with Johnson.

We'll see where this kid's head is at sometime this season.

Old
08-16-2010, 06:45 PM
DIEHARD the King fan

TG and Phil:

I dont disagree that DL has made this team better, but I think that so many of the words that are spewed out to justify his actions and/or inaction are just that: spewed out and mean very little. Kings tattoo's, right fit at right price, poaching RFA's for cheap from other teams, all seemingly have their place in explaining his action, at least right up until DL finds a reason why they shouldn't apply anymore.

IK, and I was in favor of trying to get him, certainly has only one thing tattoo'd on his rear and that is a Dollar sign. Frolov was and will always be a KING (in my mind) but was let go (for nothing in return) most likely due to off-ice issues which angered primarily the Asst GM. (if you don't know don't ask, I'm not publicly telling). It wasnt the money that was the reason Cammy was traded, but DL thought he couldnt do what Cammy knew he could. DL didn't like him as a person or player. Many in this board doubted his ability too.
He chose Tuebert over Myers, a pick many questioned and look how that is turning out.
He's far from perfect (who isn't), but he's built up the organization too, albeit with some weaknesses.

Contrary to popular belief, I dont think he's a bad GM, he may even be the best we've had, (everything being relative), but I think Syd put it best when he said "he's not as good as he thinks, and not as bad as many believe."

That said, lets not start sucking each others ***** over how great he is until this team actually arrives at the point of being a perennial Stanley Cup contender and Stanley Cup Champion. They aren't there yet, and although DD08 may be the next coming of Ray Borque, Boston didnt win much with him either.

And Rick: Yes, I'd take a single cup and banner hanging from the rafters than the mere chance at getting more. With the odds on repeating being what they are in the salary cap world, even getting just ONE CUP would be a crowning achievement. I'd hate to pass up actually attaining the goal for the mere chance at doing it several times. As i said before one in the hand over two in the bush.

Apparently, even the GM that so many of you hold on a pedestal feels the same way! His words (on NHL Radio) not mine. And he certainly didnt have to say them, no one held a gun to his head and DL is clearly not a guy to hold to Political Correctness just because its expected. He would trade all the possible chances to actually have won a cup, even if it meant having all of Chicago's budget problems this year. (Yes he said it)

I dont visit the other teams boards that often on this site, but am I wrong in assuming that Chicago fans aren't screaming how stupid it was to get all those players and to have won the cup because the team had to be subsequently dismantled? Maybe some of their fans lament the loss of some players, but if you asked them if they'd rather have their players back in exchange for never having won the cup, I have NO DOUBT that they would decline the opportunity.

[THIS WHOLE DISCUSSION SHOULD REALLY BE IN "THE DEBATE THE GM THREAD"]

Last edited by DIEHARD the King fan: 08-16-2010 at 06:51 PM.
Old
08-16-2010, 06:54 PM
piston

Quote:
That is an excellent point. Not only has he not had a consistent partner, he has been shifted to both the right and left side. JJ is a left handed shot and seems more comfortable on that side. Is Mitchell a right handed shot? I think we need to put Jack in a position where he is able to excel. It has to be tough being a tremendous talent yet having Doughty on the same team. That can't be good for the ego. Get him a partner and some consistency, let him blossom and have the team win. That hopefully will be enough to gt him to stay.

Old
08-16-2010, 07:01 PM
Omni Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by piston View Post
That is an excellent point. Not only has he not had a consistent partner, he has been shifted to both the right and left side. JJ is a left handed shot and seems more comfortable on that side. Is Mitchell a right handed shot? I think we need to put Jack in a position where he is able to excel. It has to be tough being a tremendous talent yet having Doughty on the same team. That can't be good for the ego. Get him a partner and some consistency, let him blossom and have the team win. That hopefully will be enough to gt him to stay.
Mitchell shoots left.

DL snagged O'Donnell and then Scuderi to (presumably) play with Doughty. I guess Johnson deserves his partner, even though I still think he'd go well with Greene...

Old
08-16-2010, 07:04 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

DHK

I agree largely with what you have said and am trying to see where we differ all that much. I mean, DL is a very good GM and DT had a fire sale before he was fired other than that I was happy with him too. We both know what MC was dealt for and the money had nothing to do with it. We also both know about how damaging players interacting with the wives of others can be to a team/locker room and how commenting on those things can cause trouble for everyone (see Sean Avery)

I agree with you also that DL has his issues regarding what he sees as being a "team player" kind of guy and how it gets in the way of his ability to his best work.

So I agree that DL has his flaws and that some of them have cost us, I also think however that he has done a great job at not only restocking our back end but also in making from scratch an effective system for developing players.

Now I understand that it will take time for me to be proven right (if at all) but that is sort of where I stand. We agree on the IK situation and on a few other items as well.

Maybe a clarification is in order on my part. DL has done a great job in my opinion at preparing us to be a better team, more so than his predecessors. There could be several reasons for this that might have been out of their control but for whatever reason DL has done a better job than most in that area imo.

I know that your entire post wasn't directed at me so I am not certain what to say about some of the things that you posted. I can say that I don't hold DL up on a pedestal at all. I just think that we have a history of being so poorly managed that DL has come in and done a good enough job to date that he has my support for the time being.

If I do hold him above other gms it is in what I have seen since he has been GM regarding stocking our farm system. That he has done an excellent job at and I feel an even better job than his predecessors (though I am repeating myself now).

So if that is the area where we are at odds then I don't see us being too far off from each other.

I probably am just misunderstanding things again.

Old
08-16-2010, 07:28 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post
And Rick: Yes, I'd take a single cup and banner hanging from the rafters than the mere chance at getting more. With the odds on repeating being what they are in the salary cap world, even getting just ONE CUP would be a crowning achievement. I'd hate to pass up actually attaining the goal for the mere chance at doing it several times. As i said before one in the hand over two in the bush.

I know this discussion should be in the other thread, but what the heck I want to answer this one point.

I agree that in hindsight I would be happy to have won a cup. I just never would have put a team in the position that Tallon did to get there in the first place. He got very lucky.

I think the pace at which Lombardi is moving is much more prudent. The Kings' best player hasn't even reached the age of 21 or 22 yet, and the other keepers are all under 25 years of age. Add to that a supporting cast of guys like Richardson, Hickey, etc. and I think it still takes a little while to get there.

Everything in the future hinges on Dean's ability to lock Doughty up to a contract that is at least as long as Kopitar's and then have one of the goalies become a real #1 in this league.

I agree with Piston, we are going to see the kind of UFA that wants to play in LA improve dramatically in the coming years.

Old
08-16-2010, 07:33 PM
piston

Die Hard,

I also agree with much of what you said. Let's agree that DL is at a minimum 'competent' and that competence was sorely needed to right the ship. Time will tell whether he is brilliant and can win the Cup, but the whole AL Murray thing has to remind us all what an absolute disaster amateur scouting was and how much it has improved under DL (I agree, the jury is still out on a lot of prospects).

Now, DL's biggest challenge will be to convince the future Paul Martin's of the world that LA is a great place to play if one wants to regularly compete for the Cup. We are obviously not there yet, but even you would agree that we are much closer to this goal than were 5 years ago.

Old
08-16-2010, 08:17 PM
DIEHARD the King fan

OK so we are all on the same page (mostly) and yes he's competent. Ye we are closer than five years ago although I question whether there were faster alternatives, and whether some of the moves made created holes we are now looking to fill. (Scorer at LW and PMD) Arguments can be made both ways.

I'm not saying he isn't doing a good job, but the real test is what we WIN not what we BUILD. Of course, its understood that building maybe be one way of increasing your chances at winning, but its not the only way, and (holding my breath re WM) as far as signing UFA's, it is part of his job to woo those players to come here. As it is agreed we are not a "first choice" destination, using extra money is one way that problem can be overcome.

That is one place (one, not the only) I strongly disagree with DL's fiscal conservatism.
If we arent playing deep in the playoffs in the next two-three years (That would be through DL year 7) I dont think the man will be here.

So much depends on this season as well, as if these moves (including hopefully WM) and the kids stepping up doesnt get us further than last year, lots of voices will be echoing seeking someone's head, be it DL's or TM's

Old
08-16-2010, 09:18 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

DHK,

We did go to far the other way with 99 and while it got us closer than ever before, we didn't win the cup then either. I guess I feel that while DL is being too fiscally conservative up to this point and also that he needs to add to our current team in order for us to take the next step forward I also believe that up until this off season that he was right in not doing so.

I also know that we have a solid core of our own talent and are a different team today then we were back when 99 was here so the comparison isn't exactly correct but that being said, there is a time to make the moves to build a contender and up until this off season I didn't see us as being ready.

Remember how I was opposed to our going after Kovy? I hope so because it was you who convinced me otherwise. I still feel that it was not only right to go after him (or a player of his caliber) but I also feel that it would be a massive mistake to not offer as much money as it would take to sign him within the rules today.

Next year there simply isn't the same caliber of sniper that Kovy is coming on the market that we can make a run at imo. If there were then I would be alright with waiting with the exception that I, like you, feel that DL may not either be willing to or capable (for whatever reason) of signing them anyways.

If we had a sniper in the system then I could see us waiting on making a move until we saw what we had but I don''t see one yet so I can only see us adding what we are missing up front via ufa or trade.

It isn't time for camp to start yet and I am open to waiting for whatever could be coming down the pike but like I have said before, if we start camp without addressing our needs up front then it could be an interesting season and of course, my feelings that DL is an amazing scout but has issues as a GM will be even more solidified.

Old
08-16-2010, 09:20 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Dan Murphy:

WMitchell has worked out for the Canucks, Sharks and Kings. Testing went very well. No conf on LA offer, WM now expected to visit Wash
about 1 hour ago via UberTwitter

Old
08-16-2010, 09:21 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Oh and DHK,

If we don't improve over this past season then DL will have gone against his promise of moving us forward each of his first five seasons in L.A.

We make the playoffs or we take a step backwards, not forwards no matter how we spin it here in board land and that would significantly challenge my opinion on the job the DL is or has done.

He said it and I expect it, its that simple.

Old
08-16-2010, 09:23 PM
yankeeking

If you all mremember back to when Roger Nielson was offered, I believe the coach but might have been the GM position, he declined after looking into the farm system and finding none so this has been a franchise system problem from back in the JKC days of trading #1's to 2006/2007 when DL took over. DL appears to be the right GM to build a pipeline of talent for the next few years but will he be here when we win the cup,who knows, much like Murray as coach they can build and teach but will they get us over the hump, which is what we all want ( even if its only once )....its funny we all agree with some of what he's done and we all disagree with some of what he's done its just not the same for any of us.

Old
08-16-2010, 11:05 PM
cybersync

Mitchell watch continues

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2010/...hell_workouts/

Old
08-16-2010, 11:07 PM
Cruel11
Son, just don't.

Quote:
Dan Murphy:

WMitchell has worked out for the Canucks, Sharks and Kings. Testing went very well. No conf on LA offer, WM now expected to visit Wash
about 1 hour ago via UberTwitter
Does he haavvvveeeee to visit the caps?

Old
08-16-2010, 11:34 PM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
Oh and DHK,

If we don't improve over this past season then DL will have gone against his promise of moving us forward each of his first five seasons in L.A.

We make the playoffs or we take a step backwards, not forwards no matter how we spin it here in board land and that would significantly challenge my opinion on the job the DL is or has done.

He said it and I expect it, its that simple.
This is where I am. When I hear someone, like the GM of my favorite Hockey club make a statement, I expect that statement to be more than just words thrown out into the public domain to make me feel better when it was uttered. I expect it to be TRUE. It may be before you were on this board, but I had the privilege of actually being invited to and attending one of the very small STH meetings DL held with long time, disgruntled STH's like myself, back in June of 2008. I asked the hard questions, about Cammy, about the length of the rebuild, about his boxes on his charts about his UFA signings (bridges, as he called them). (NotHelen wrote about it, and DL has referenced me although not by name on a couple occasions) In that meeting, DL was frank and sincere, and he made statements of fact. He talked about Cammy, who I have also met on several occasions (and had beers with) he discussed his plans for building (he told us who he coveted that year).

I have seen movement in that direction, but as to where he said we would be by this point, we are not there. People on this board make excuses for him, while I, like I do in life and my practice seek to evaluate people based on the confromity of their actions to their words. Its why I called him a shill for so long (and took lots of grief for it). I'd be a fool to say he hasn't built a pipeline that should bode well for the future, but so far he hasnt accomplished the things that are important and that is going deep into the playoffs. Maybe, hopefully, that will come through development alone, although I have sincere doubts. Every championship team in recent memory, even Detroit had significant UFA additions. And while Scuds and Poni may be important, we need more than just developing youth and progression to get over the hump and become the next Chicago (without the dismantling, (thats for you Rick))

Like I mentioned earlier, I'm not ready to hand him the keys to the city, to Uncle Phils purse sure, but not the city. When he brings a mid-June parade that has nothing to do with a round-ball to LA, I'll sing his praises, but I'll note than San Jose, a team he is credited with developing into a contender hasnt even sniffed the finals yet.

His upcoming tests, the 2010-11 season, the re-signing of Bernier, DD08, Simmonds (who may or may not still be around) and JJ, and how deep into the playoffs we go will tell alot. And while my hopes are high, as they are most often in Fall, my heart-felt expectations don't nearly match them, because this off-season, so far hasnt given me reason to raise them any higher. All things given regression is just as likely as progression, age and maturity not withstanding.

Old
08-16-2010, 11:49 PM
Shellz

BOooooooooo.

Old
08-16-2010, 11:52 PM
johnjm22

If you're Mitchell, and you had your option between LA, VAN, and WSH. Why on earth would you pick LA?

Lets not get our hopes up about this one.

Old
08-17-2010, 12:13 AM
piston

Quote:
This is where I am. When I hear someone, like the GM of my favorite Hockey club make a statement, I expect that statement to be more than just words thrown out into the public domain to make me feel better when it was uttered. I expect it to be TRUE. It may be before you were on this board, but I had the privilege of actually being invited to and attending one of the very small STH meetings DL held with long time, disgruntled STH's like myself, back in June of 2008. I asked the hard questions, about Cammy, about the length of the rebuild, about his boxes on his charts about his UFA signings (bridges, as he called them). (NotHelen wrote about it, and DL has referenced me although not by name on a couple occasions) In that meeting, DL was frank and sincere, and he made statements of fact. He talked about Cammy, who I have also met on several occasions (and had beers with) he discussed his plans for building (he told us who he coveted that year).

I have seen movement in that direction, but as to where he said we would be by this point, we are not there. People on this board make excuses for him, while I, like I do in life and my practice seek to evaluate people based on the confromity of their actions to their words. Its why I called him a shill for so long (and took lots of grief for it). I'd be a fool to say he hasn't built a pipeline that should bode well for the future, but so far he hasnt accomplished the things that are important and that is going deep into the playoffs. Maybe, hopefully, that will come through development alone, although I have sincere doubts. Every championship team in recent memory, even Detroit had significant UFA additions. And while Scuds and Poni may be important, we need more than just developing youth and progression to get over the hump and become the next Chicago (without the dismantling, (thats for you Rick))

Like I mentioned earlier, I'm not ready to hand him the keys to the city, to Uncle Phils purse sure, but not the city. When he brings a mid-June parade that has nothing to do with a round-ball to LA, I'll sing his praises, but I'll note than San Jose, a team he is credited with developing into a contender hasnt even sniffed the finals yet.

His upcoming tests, the 2010-11 season, the re-signing of Bernier, DD08, Simmonds (who may or may not still be around) and JJ, and how deep into the playoffs we go will tell alot. And while my hopes are high, as they are most often in Fall, my heart-felt expectations don't nearly match them, because this off-season, so far hasnt given me reason to raise them any higher. All things given regression is just as likely as progression, age and maturity not withstanding.
I agree with 100% of this post. Like anyone else, DL is accountable for results and accountable for his promises.

DHK, I think the only area where we disagree is that I am huge proponent of the Moneyball theory of sport. I was having dinner with my kids tonight and told them my nine year old loves watching the old footage of baseball players from the 40s and 50s. That is an era bygone, where players played for the love of the sport and expected to work not only when their careers were over but during the off season as well. They asked me what is different now.

Well, the reality is, like it or not, that sports is a business. Players are looking to maximize their earnings, owners are hoping to turn a profit or to win without losing too much money. Every dollar spent on one guy is a dollar not available for another. Whether there is a salary cap or not, resources are finite. Even the Yankees are not going to be able to afford Albert Pujols. DL is spending a lot of time thinking about the implications of this. He has struck me as a thoughtful, forward-thinking man that is aware on a daily basis about constraints as well as opportunities.

You talk about over paying. I suppose in some cases, you may even be right. Rob Scuderi and Ryan Smyth are clearly over paid. Yet, they bring something to the team we did not have. And, their contracts are not debilitating to the future should DL guessed wrong. The damage caused to an an organization from a truly bad contract are cataclysmic. Exhibit A is the contract the Angels gave Gary Matthews, Jr three years ago. It is the main reason they will miss the playoffs this year for the first time sine 2006. Exhibit B is the New York Rangers. They did not make the playoffs and will likely not do so next season. That is primarily because they did not spend their resources wisely. You have to be oh so careful not to make a mistake. Make one and you are stuck with an under performing guy for the next 5-10 seasons whose contract (even if it bought out) handcuffs and frames every other decision you make (see Chris Huet).

DL has not made that kind of mistake. You can accuse him of not being bold enough, of not properly evaluating a player's true net worth or of overvaluing cap space. I am not saying you are wrong on any of these points. Nevertheless, the Kings are sitting here with flexibility no other club has. That would not be trueif we paid Paul Martin $6.5 mm to choose us over the Penguins. Or Kovie for a $8 mm+ cap hit. If he had done this, the Kings better win the Cup now with what we have because there would be no room for additional help. Maybe the gamble would be worthwhile, we will never know. But, I manage money for a living and learned that diversification is the key to success, never putting all one's eggs in a single basket. DL has avoided this temptation. That, at the end of the day, he still has my support. I suspect his patience is going to pay off sooner rather than later.

Old
08-17-2010, 12:14 AM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
If you're Mitchell, and you had your option between LA, VAN, and WSH. Why on earth would you pick LA?

Lets not get our hopes up about this one.
More money over the 2-3 years?

DL can give him $3-3.5, i'm not sure the Caps can and I know the Nucks can't.

Old
08-17-2010, 12:23 AM
I Am Ziggy Palffy

out of that list of teams, a hockey purist like Mitchell would choose LA only for financial reasons and nothing else.

Old
08-17-2010, 12:30 AM
alpa
Yoda+Gandalf=Sutter

Buzzbarry says WM is heading towards San Jose for a visit and implies that Blake might have something to do with it.

Old
08-17-2010, 02:40 AM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
may be the next coming of Ray Borque, Boston didnt win much with him either.

I dont visit the other teams boards that often on this site, but am I wrong in assuming that Chicago fans aren't screaming how stupid it was to get all those players and to have won the cup because the team had to be subsequently dismantled? Maybe some of their fans lament the loss of some players, but if you asked them if they'd rather have their players back in exchange for never having won the cup, I have NO DOUBT that they would decline the opportunity.

Well Hawk fans all agree it was stupid to sign Huet (I was against the signing the day it happened)

The issue with some fans is over who was traded,,, Mostly just Byfuglien and Ladd

Some fans would have rather seen Sharp traded over losing those 2 or seen Bolland traded and Byfuglien kept or Hjalamrsson moved and Buff kept , etc

The Hawks getting a good return on our players also helped soften the blow to most fans.

Byfuglien , Sopel , Ladd , Eager and Versteeg became

2010 1st (NJ's via Atl) - Hawks selected RW Kevin Hayes
2010 2nd (NJ's via Atl) - Hawks selected D Justin Holl
2011 2nd (Atl)
D Ivan Vishnevskiy (2006 1st rounder) (Via Atl)
C Jeremy Morin (2009 2nd rounder) (Via Atl)
LW Victor Stalberg (Via Tor)
C Phillip Paradis (2009 1st rounder) (Via Tor)
C Christopher Didomenico (Via Tor)

Add that with guys like Beach , Skille , Kruger , Pirri , Lalonde , Olsen and Leddy coming thru system

We are all in all pretty happy with how things turned out. We knew we would lose some depth due to cap for last 2 years ,,, we were prepared for it

Just giving you Hawks fan perspective

Closed Thread