HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Another Draft Idea..

Closed Thread

Old
04-14-2005, 10:48 AM
Habs13

vCash: 500
Another Draft Idea..

So, lets play the "what if" game here folks. What if Montreal wins the number one draft spot and trades it away, yes, that's right.. trades away the right to draft Sidney Crosby - what do you fine folk think the team could get in return, and, would it be a worthwhile scenario?

We all know Crosby has the potential to be the next hot shot in the NHL and I'm sure there's more than a fistful of teams that would consider making a large trade to acquire him. With the current depth of prospects we alreadyhave.. would the Habs benefit more from adding him to the list of prospects or dealing him for addition players and/or prospects and/or draft picks?

Interesting, no?

Old
04-14-2005, 10:59 AM
Count of DannyKristo

Trading the pick if we won it would be the dumbest thing ever. That's the only input I have right now.

Old
04-14-2005, 10:59 AM
Duff88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs13
So, lets play the "what if" game here folks. What if Montreal wins the number one draft spot and trades it away, yes, that's right.. trades away the right to draft Sidney Crosby - what do you fine folk think the team could get in return, and, would it be a worthwhile scenario?

We all know Crosby has the potential to be the next hot shot in the NHL and I'm sure there's more than a fistful of teams that would consider making a large trade to acquire him. With the current depth of prospects we alreadyhave.. would the Habs benefit more from adding him to the list of prospects or dealing him for addition players and/or prospects and/or draft picks?

Interesting, no?
I don't know if they would have a thing to say, but the team's marketing and fans would never allow this, at least not before he's a member of the Habs.

Old
04-14-2005, 11:42 AM
Fozz

I would much prefer that they pick Crosby and then use the current prospects to go out and get a real power-forward with scoring abilities, size and a mean streak. Bertuzzi anyone?

Old
04-14-2005, 11:51 AM
Ryan_Habs_16

Trading Crosby could be a smart thing to do if the players coming our way were worthwhile. I'd be asking a handful, perhaps, a few prospects with good potential and a young d-man that we need, maybe more!

Probably too much, but I would ask for two good prospects, the teams 1st round pick, and second round, and then another good defensman. But then again, if I couldn't get that or more, I'd be happy with Crosby and build around him.

Old
04-14-2005, 11:54 AM
Habsfan 32

Send a message via ICQ to Habsfan 32 Send a message via MSN to Habsfan 32
The olny packages I would accept would be Bertuzzi,Ohlund and Jovanovski.

Doan,Morris and Nagy.

Iginla,Phaneuf and Regehr.

But for marketing reasons and all those thing I think we would be better off keeping him.

Old
04-14-2005, 12:03 PM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan 32
The olny packages I would accept would be Bertuzzi,Ohlund and Jovanovski.

Doan,Morris and Nagy.

Iginla,Phaneuf and Regehr.

But for marketing reasons and all those thing I think we would be better off keeping him.
Malkin and Brule?

Old
04-14-2005, 12:04 PM
Poochie_D

if it was me i would consider us getting the first pick lucky and just select crosby but now that i think about it... im pretty sure we would be considered contenders after whatever we would get ( AT LEAST two high quality players + whatever else). I think i might do Iginla and Phaneuf for Crosby.

Old
04-14-2005, 12:09 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz
I would much prefer that they pick Crosby and then use the current prospects to go out and get a real power-forward with scoring abilities, size and a mean streak. Bertuzzi anyone?
Im one of the biggest Bertuzzi fan of his overall game but to be fair, I really dont know how the Steve Moore story will affect his game... Maybe he will be less agressive, less dominant physically... He is a big risk at the moment... Plus, the Nucks would ask too much we can afford for Bertuzzi... Would you give away on of our top prospects like Perezhogin, Higgins or Kostitsyn + Komisarek for him? Thats about the price we would have to pay and I personnally wouldn't... I however agree that Bertuzzi in our line-up would be quite amazing, he is what we miss the most.

Old
04-14-2005, 12:18 PM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsArea
Im one of the biggest Bertuzzi fan of his overall game but to be fair, I really dont know how the Steve Moore story will affect his game... Maybe he will be less agressive, less dominant physically... He is a big risk at the moment... Plus, the Nucks would ask too much we can afford for Bertuzzi... Would you give away on of our top prospects like Perezhogin, Higgins or Kostitsyn + Komisarek for him? Thats about the price we would have to pay and I personnally wouldn't... I however agree that Bertuzzi in our line-up would be quite amazing, he is what we miss the most.
For big Big Bert Vancouver would probably want Zednick and Ryder!

Old
04-14-2005, 12:47 PM
Anksun

Send a message via ICQ to Anksun
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_Habs_16
Trading Crosby could be a smart thing to do if the players coming our way were worthwhile. I'd be asking a handful, perhaps, a few prospects with good potential and a young d-man that we need, maybe more!

Probably too much, but I would ask for two good prospects, the teams 1st round pick, and second round, and then another good defensman. But then again, if I couldn't get that or more, I'd be happy with Crosby and build around him.
so you would want: 2 good prospects + 1st rd + 2nd rd + a good def.

I dont know what you consider "GOOD", but i do know you dont ask that much as i would give that almost easily to get Crosby on the habs right now...

Old
04-14-2005, 12:59 PM
Darcy Wakaluk

Crosby grew up idolizing the Habs and the fans already love him because he played in the Q.

For them to even consider trading the 1st Overall, it would take a Lindros-like package, and even then, they'd be looking at some serious backlash from the fans and the media.

Old
04-14-2005, 01:43 PM
English Hab

Send a message via AIM to English Hab Send a message via MSN to English Hab
I'm so on the fence in regards making a desicion about this.... For once i'mnot going to be an Optimist!!!! hear that Mooch i'm already changing my ways... I've been label now thats it!! I mean you can take the positives from a deal, being that you could have pratically anythign you wanted. The negatives are that our fans would leave in their droves if we got rid of Crosby and he would so love to play for us and that in todays game is so unheard of from ANY player, to come out and make such a statement and adhere to it.

As i said i'm not too sure where i be on this situation... unless i am put on the spot with the actual ability to draft said Hockey god - hes not yet a GOD so he only gets little letters, then i'll just hide amongst others and listen to their arguments first before i get back to you.... maybe my point of view and the Pro's and con's have made you have another think about it.. who knows!!!! But in the words of my good friend... Beggars CAN be choosers!!!!!

Old
04-14-2005, 01:49 PM
Squeaky

I think I'd keep him. Might not be best for the team, but it would be best for the box office, I think. If he actually turns into the best player in the league, he'll put buts in seats and sell merchandise. The team is already quite decent, and there are bunches of talented prospects around already anyways, wo we don't need to get 3 great players back for him to ice a competitive team.

If we were a weaker team, or a team with few prospects, I'd be more tempted to trade him, because then the assets he returns might help the franchise a little more than he could on his own, for us I don't think that's true.

Old
04-14-2005, 02:00 PM
Fozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsArea
I don't know but with the addition of Crosby would make it much easier to get rid of a prospect or 2... Maybe a Perezhogin - Plekanec and a draft pick or something like that. I think a guy like Bertuzzi would be perfect to make room for Crosby on the ice.

Old
04-14-2005, 02:55 PM
Duster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz
I don't know but with the addition of Crosby would make it much easier to get rid of a prospect or 2... Maybe a Perezhogin - Plekanec and a draft pick or something like that. I think a guy like Bertuzzi would be perfect to make room for Crosby on the ice.
God forbid. There is no way Crosby could replace Ribeiro...

Last edited by Duster: 04-14-2005 at 03:01 PM.
Old
04-14-2005, 08:18 PM
Habs13

Think of it this way, think Eric Lindross! Quebec got 9 players for Lindross! If Montreal was to win the lotto and hold the 1st overall pick, Gainey could take offers from all 29 teams and then still decide to keep Crosby if he felt the offer wasn;t high enough.

As for the Montreal fans being angry about trading Crosby.. do you think they'd be THAT upset if the players coming to Montreal where.. Lecavalier, Richards & St.Louis? Gange, Pitkanen & Primeau? Nash, Zherdev & Klesla? Kovalchuk, Heatley & the zamboni driver? So many options..

The idea behind the thread was that the Flyers basically handed Quebec a winningteam for Lindross! Who would give what for Crosby? If the right offer came along, we could have an instantly reformed dynasty as well as our young prospects still in the system. I'm torn though... the idea of watching a guy like Crosby tearing it up for the Habs would be surreal. But, watching a guy like Nash in a Habs jersey would be swell aswell!

Old
04-14-2005, 09:25 PM
Stan

If we got the first pick, there is no way Gainey moves it. When you have the chance to pick a once in a generation talent...you don't give it up. Quebec would never have traded away Lindros if he hadn't of refused to play for them. I guess it doesn't hurt to listen, but getting Crosby at the same time as our prospects are ready for the jump would make us an instant contender in my opinion. Keep in mind that this would allow us to move Ribeiro and a prospect to fill any remaining holes we may have on D. Plus you can't put a price on reputation. We could attract high end talent. Players would want to play in Montreal.

Old
04-14-2005, 09:25 PM
Ryan_Habs_16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anksun
so you would want: 2 good prospects + 1st rd + 2nd rd + a good def.

I dont know what you consider "GOOD", but i do know you dont ask that much as i would give that almost easily to get Crosby on the habs right now...

What I mean by good is really good, something along the lines of Iginlia, Phaneuf, Kobasew, 1st and 2nd pick, or maybe Nash, and so on...

Old
04-15-2005, 09:51 AM
UKHabsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs13
Think of it this way, think Eric Lindross! Quebec got 9 players for Lindross! If Montreal was to win the lotto and hold the 1st overall pick, Gainey could take offers from all 29 teams and then still decide to keep Crosby if he felt the offer wasn;t high enough.

As for the Montreal fans being angry about trading Crosby.. do you think they'd be THAT upset if the players coming to Montreal where.. Lecavalier, Richards & St.Louis? Gange, Pitkanen & Primeau? Nash, Zherdev & Klesla? Kovalchuk, Heatley & the zamboni driver? So many options..

The idea behind the thread was that the Flyers basically handed Quebec a winningteam for Lindross! Who would give what for Crosby? If the right offer came along, we could have an instantly reformed dynasty as well as our young prospects still in the system. I'm torn though... the idea of watching a guy like Crosby tearing it up for the Habs would be surreal. But, watching a guy like Nash in a Habs jersey would be swell aswell!

Maybe we could make a move for him anyway !!!!

Old
04-16-2005, 05:29 PM
Galchenkel

Send a message via MSN to Galchenkel
what if in june 2001 Don Wadell would've accept the deal in wich he would give his 1st overall pick (kovalchuk or spezza depending on savard's decision) in exchange of théodore or garon plus an unknown prospect. 'cause as he said, of every trade proposal he received, the one from montréal was by far the most interesting and the decision to refuse it or not was exceptionnaly tough! just imagine, Kovalchuk scoring skills with Ribeiro's playmaking skills with still keeping a strong goalie with either théodore or garon

Closed Thread