HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Philadelphia Union Discussion

Closed Thread

Old
08-16-2010, 12:57 PM
agrudez*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSTAFF View Post
Which is such a European and any other country's thought on life as a whole. Here in a America its about winning or losing, **** ties, what a waste of time. Shouldn't have even showed up to play.

This also ties in with little league sporting events 'not keeping score.' Are you kidding me? Playing sports is to win or lose, being a competitor, handling the emotion of winning and losing. **** this country and all the ******* in it.
I completely agree. 8 months ago I had just started playing raquetball and after getting my **** pushed back in for about 2 weeks I decided to hardcore train when I couldn't get a game and when I could find games I would play for upwards of 4 hours straight.

This past weekend I played the hands down best player at Rowan and beat him 2 out of 3 games.

I am on a 78 straight point streak on my roommate (raquetball plays til 15, so that is 5+ straight shutouts) and he told me I am too competitive, when someone is better than me at something I work my *** off until I am better than him and then move onto the next challenge until I am the best, like that is a bad thing?

Old
08-16-2010, 01:00 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanL44 View Post
All the big leagues can end in draws.
I know. I picked Serie A since JSTAFF if a Juventus fan.

Quote:
Which is such a European and any other country's thought on life as a whole. Here in a America its about winning or losing, **** ties, what a waste of time. Shouldn't have even showed up to play.

This also ties in with little league sporting events 'not keeping score.' Are you kidding me? Playing sports is to win or lose, being a competitor, handling the emotion of winning and losing. **** this country and all the ******* in it.
I agree with JSTAFF. Nobody in America EVER wants to watch a draw. That **** is lame.

Old
08-17-2010, 08:11 AM
GirouxGiroux
Visioneer

vCash: 147
I prefer draws to shootouts. Bottom line.

Old
08-17-2010, 08:18 AM
JSTAFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirouxGiroux View Post
I prefer draws to shootouts. Bottom line.
Thats cause your Irish, its in your blood to be a big *****

Old
08-17-2010, 08:30 AM
GirouxGiroux
Visioneer

Team sports shouldn't be settled in one on one skills competitions. I don't like it in hockey. I don't like it in soccer. It's like if football games ended with a field goal kicking competition. Doesn't make sense.

Old
08-17-2010, 08:35 AM
agrudez*

Quote:
Team sports shouldn't be settled in one on one skills competitions. I don't like it in hockey. I don't like it in soccer. It's like if football games ended with a field goal kicking competition. Doesn't make sense.
I agree with that sentiment; however, ties are also dumb.

It wasn't so bad in hockey because it is easier to score and the average team would probably tie 10 games a season, but in soccer it is so difficult to score and waaaaay too many games end in a tie, often times a 0-0 tie.

Americans will never understand/be able to accept a game that lasts 95 minutes and ends without anyone scoring a single goal.

Old
08-17-2010, 08:47 AM
GirouxGiroux
Visioneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrudez View Post
I agree with that sentiment; however, ties are also dumb.

It wasn't so bad in hockey because it is easier to score and the average team would probably tie 10 games a season, but in soccer it is so difficult to score and waaaaay too many games end in a tie, often times a 0-0 tie.

Americans will never understand/be able to accept a game that lasts 95 minutes and ends without anyone scoring a single goal.
That's why Americans will support attacking soccer that takes risks, seeks rewards, etc. Sure, Americans want action. You can even see it in the way our national team plays. MLS is still growing and developing it's identity. I believe aggressive, attacking soccer is an American style that will become the trademark of the league.

That said, if anyone should be able to appreciate low scoring games, it should be hockey fans. Some of the best hockey games I've ever seen only had one or two goals. Like pitching duels in baseball or a defensive battle in football, there should be room for a scoreless soccer game.

Old
08-17-2010, 08:47 AM
JSTAFF

Quote:
Ok, so how about golden goal OT?

Old
08-17-2010, 08:52 AM
GirouxGiroux
Visioneer

Quote:
Ok, so how about golden goal OT?
In soccer? Games would go forever. In hockey you at least get shift changes. In soccer, even if you add an extra sub or two, you're still gonna have guys out there for the whole game.

My solution would be increase the points for a win. Make it so that a draw is an undesirable result instead of just ok.

Old
08-17-2010, 09:01 AM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
In soccer? Games would go forever. In hockey you at least get shift changes. In soccer, even if you add an extra sub or two, you're still gonna have guys out there for the whole game.

My solution would be increase the points for a win. Make it so that a draw is an undesirable result instead of just ok.
Or you could make the goal even bigger.

Old
08-17-2010, 09:02 AM
GirouxGiroux
Visioneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post

Old
08-17-2010, 09:07 AM
IrishSniper87

Quote:

come on, it's not like it matters, it's like 20 feet across and 8 feet high anyway.

Old
08-17-2010, 09:19 AM
agrudez*

Quote:
That's why Americans will support attacking soccer that takes risks, seeks rewards, etc. Sure, Americans want action. You can even see it in the way our national team plays. MLS is still growing and developing it's identity. I believe aggressive, attacking soccer is an American style that will become the trademark of the league.

That said, if anyone should be able to appreciate low scoring games, it should be hockey fans. Some of the best hockey games I've ever seen only had one or two goals. Like pitching duels in baseball or a defensive battle in football, there should be room for a scoreless soccer game.
the US national team brand of soccer is balanced at best... it certainly isn't the straight defense and hope for a header off a corner goal that England employs, but to refer to it as attacking instills a Brazil/Argentina type impression in my head of 3 straight strikers never crossing midfield and looking for streaking counters all game.

In general I think of Spanish influenced soccer as attacking (Spain, Portugal, Mexico, South American teams) and the more "haughty" European nations as defensive (England, France, Netherlands). Asian teams and the US team don't seem to know what the **** they want to be.

Old
08-17-2010, 09:22 AM
agrudez*

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
Soccer needs like 2 less players on the field, a shorter field and round goal posts to make it become more than just taking a dive to get a free kick just to hit it 30 feet over the crossbar.

Soccer is probably the only sport that I honestly feel like the pros that play it are not very good at the game. Some of the chances these strikers blow are terrible and the goalies are basically just for show half the time... 5 easy saves a game and then they don't even make the one decent shot a game a respectable effort for a save.

Old
08-17-2010, 09:44 AM
GirouxGiroux
Visioneer

Quote:
the US national team brand of soccer is balanced at best... it certainly isn't the straight defense and hope for a header off a corner goal that England employs, but to refer to it as attacking instills a Brazil/Argentina type impression in my head of 3 straight strikers never crossing midfield and looking for streaking counters all game.

In general I think of Spanish influenced soccer as attacking (Spain, Portugal, Mexico, South American teams) and the more "haughty" European nations as defensive (England, France, Netherlands). Asian teams and the US team don't seem to know what the **** they want to be.
Well, I don't think you have to run a 3-4-3 to be an "attacking" team. You can run a 4-4-2 and just have an aggressive mindset. Maybe it's just that I think our D sucks and our attack is pretty good so I focus on that.

Or maybe I'm just using the wrong words. How about "reckless?"

Somehow I found the whole give-up-an-early-goal-then-mount-a-furious-comeback as very American.

Old
08-17-2010, 09:46 AM
GirouxGiroux
Visioneer

Quote:
Soccer needs like 2 less players on the field, a shorter field and round goal posts to make it become more than just taking a dive to get a free kick just to hit it 30 feet over the crossbar.

Soccer is probably the only sport that I honestly feel like the pros that play it are not very good at the game. Some of the chances these strikers blow are terrible and the goalies are basically just for show half the time... 5 easy saves a game and then they don't even make the one decent shot a game a respectable effort for a save.
I disagree.

I mean, I could watch the Lions and Browns play and think the same thing about football.

Old
08-17-2010, 09:49 AM
HFNHL Commish

Send a message via AIM to HFNHL Commish
I dislike introducing "gimmicks" to the game just for the sake of manufacturing a result. I've never liked 4v4 overtime in hockey because, to me, that's just not the way the game's meant to be played. I also think the novelty of the shootout has long since worn off.

Some sports just have draws (even boxing!). Saying there's absolutely no room for that in American sports almost insinuates that there's no room for sportsmanship. I'm speaking tongue-in-cheek, but are we going to replace the handshake line at the end of each playoff round with MMA?

Old
08-17-2010, 10:42 AM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Well, I don't think you have to run a 3-4-3 to be an "attacking" team. You can run a 4-4-2 and just have an aggressive mindset. Maybe it's just that I think our D sucks and our attack is pretty good so I focus on that.

Or maybe I'm just using the wrong words. How about "reckless?"

Somehow I found the whole give-up-an-early-goal-then-mount-a-furious-comeback as very American.
I admit my soccer knowledge is lacking, but a 4-4-2 doesn't have to be that defensive if your wingers are aggressive.

Old
08-17-2010, 10:44 AM
JSTAFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFNHL Commish View Post
I dislike introducing "gimmicks" to the game just for the sake of manufacturing a result. I've never liked 4v4 overtime in hockey because, to me, that's just not the way the game's meant to be played. I also think the novelty of the shootout has long since worn off.

Some sports just have draws (even boxing!). Saying there's absolutely no room for that in American sports almost insinuates that there's no room for sportsmanship. I'm speaking tongue-in-cheek, but are we going to replace the handshake line at the end of each playoff round with MMA?
I highly disagree with that statement.

It has nothing to do with sportsmanship. It has to do with a team battling it out on the field for 95 minutes +/- and leaving with the same result as before the game was played. All it does is leave the fans with a sense of "why did I just pay 20$ to park and minimum $25 ticket to watchi this ********?" I dont know if you or any other people posting here have been to the games but it is the worst when it ends in a tie. The fans are not happy, most are booing, etc etc.

Old
08-17-2010, 10:54 AM
ihatebraydenschenn

Someone please explain to me why a tie game is dumb?

EDIT: Been to 3 Union games so far this season, all of them were ****ing awesome. (Saw the Celtics, Crew and Rapids)

- Celtics game ended in a tie but it was increidbly exciting throughout the game.

- The Crew match was pretty awesome if you were a Crew fan. Regardless, the game was an awesome time.

- Rapids match was by far the most exciting, too bad we couldn't pull away with a win.

Main problem I see with the Union - midfield. It's almost a chore to get the ball past our half line. The defensemen don't communicate well with the midfielders and that creates problems moving the ball. Also, our forwards aren't the most aggressive forwards in the world. If they put just a little bit of pressure on the opposition we'd see more counter attacks.

I swear, the Union slogan is "let's hope for the best." Oh, here's a corner kick.. let's just hit it into the crowd and hope for the best.

Last edited by ihatebraydenschenn: 08-17-2010 at 11:00 AM.
Old
08-17-2010, 11:01 AM
JSTAFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by galvo View Post
Someone please explain to me why a tie game is dumb?

EDIT: Been to 3 Union games so far this season, all of them were ****ing awesome. (Saw the Celtics, Crew and Rapids)

- Celtics game ended in a tie but it was increidbly exciting throughout the game.

- The Crew match was pretty awesome if you were a Crew fan. Regardless, the game was an awesome time.

- Rapids match was by far the most exciting, too bad we couldn't pull away with a win.

Main problem I see with the Union - midfield. It's almost a chore to get the ball past our half line. The defensemen don't communicate well with the midfielders and that creates problems moving the ball. Also, our forwards aren't the most aggressive forwards in the world. If they put just a little bit of pressure on the opposition we'd see more counter attacks.

I swear, the Union slogan is "let's hope for the best." Oh, here's a corner kick.. let's just hit it into the crowd and hope for the best.

The Celtic game was absolutely HORRIBLE. People were sleeping in the crowd. I dont know what the hell your talking about.

Old
08-17-2010, 11:10 AM
HFNHL Commish

Quote:
I highly disagree with that statement.

It has nothing to do with sportsmanship. It has to do with a team battling it out on the field for 95 minutes +/- and leaving with the same result as before the game was played. All it does is leave the fans with a sense of "why did I just pay 20$ to park and minimum $25 ticket to watchi this ********?" I dont know if you or any other people posting here have been to the games but it is the worst when it ends in a tie. The fans are not happy, most are booing, etc etc.
I've been to all but one game so far.

I think the fans can get frustrated to see their team dominate possession, have a brain fart, and only come away with a point. However, I also think the fans have been overwhelmingly supportive and understanding that this is a developmental season. I hear the boos, but rarely, if ever, do I think they've been directed towards the Union. It's usually for a non-call, an opposing player wallowing on the pitch, etc.

The team's saving grace is they do work hard. People love Le Toux as much for his work rate as his finishing ability...

Old
08-17-2010, 11:13 AM
IrishSniper87

The REAL problem with the Union is their defense.

The team has scored 23 goals, which is great, but they have given up 34 ALREADY!

You can't win games giving up that many goals unless your offense is insane. Our offense is Mwanga and Le Toux and they can't make up for how many goals we give up.

Old
08-17-2010, 11:37 AM
ihatebraydenschenn

Quote:
The Celtic game was absolutely HORRIBLE. People were sleeping in the crowd. I dont know what the hell your talking about.
I missed the first thirty minutes, but the rest of the game was filled with action up and down the field. And how could you sleep through a game where dumbass Celtic fans lit flares?

What's with the Union's goalie situation? Is there a main starter or do they flip between the two goalies I've seen?

Old
08-17-2010, 11:40 AM
HFNHL Commish

Quote:
Originally Posted by galvo View Post
I missed the first thirty minutes, but the rest of the game was filled with action up and down the field. And how could you sleep through a game where dumbass Celtic fans lit flares?

What's with the Union's goalie situation? Is there a main starter or do they flip between the two goalies I've seen?
Seitz is the entrenched starter, Knighton the backup.

Closed Thread