HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Flower acquitted!

Old
08-17-2010, 10:13 AM
HabsDood

vCash: 500
Flower acquitted!

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=330811

MONTREAL -- Montreal Canadiens legend Guy Lafleur has been acquitted by an appeals court of giving contradictory testimony at his son's bail hearing.

HabsDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 10:14 AM
Coldplay
Courage

Good for him, although seems a bit too convenient for my liking.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 10:15 AM
Kebekoi

I'm not convinced.

Kebekoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 10:18 AM
HabsDood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kebekoi View Post
I'm not convinced.
Not important anymore..

what would you do for your son, at least once?

Old
08-17-2010, 10:20 AM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsDood View Post
Not important anymore..

I don't blame him for doing what he did (and yes, I'm not convinced either), but it's still breaking the law, regardless of whether or not you would do it or not.

Old
08-17-2010, 10:24 AM
HabsDood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
I don't blame him for doing what he did (and yes, I'm not convinced either), but it's still breaking the law, regardless of whether or not you would do it or not.
Sure, like those convicted criminals and child molesters out there in the streets or those drunk drivers still driving are so much better..

lol

Old
08-17-2010, 10:26 AM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Sure, like those convicted criminals and child molesters out there in the streets or those drunk drivers still driving are so much better..

lol
I'm not sure exactly why you bring those examples up - I'm not saying Flower should go to jail, but those guys don't belong on the streets either.

what to say to your reply lol.

Old
08-17-2010, 10:30 AM
Kebekoi

Quote:

lol
A crime is a crime, regardless of the importance of it.

Kebekoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 10:38 AM
jamz

Lost a lot of respect for the man in recent years. He speaks out of line in interviews and commits purgery involving rap e. He is and always will be a hero on the ice, but off the ice as an ambassador for the club and the game I think he did an awful job. He should take exemple on Jean Béliveau, that man is a class act and a true living legend.

jamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 10:39 AM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamz View Post
Lost a lot of respect for the man in recent years. He speaks out of line in interviews and commits purgery involving ****. He is and always will be a hero on the ice, but off the ice as an ambassador for the club and the game I think he did an awful job. He should take exemple on Jean Béliveau, that man is a class act and a true living legend.
"The Canadiens have four 4th lines"

...will never forget when he said this while we were 1st in the freicking conference.

Old
08-17-2010, 10:44 AM
ScottFC

HMmm I don't know what to think about this. I don't really blame the guy for doing what he did to protect his son but I doubt an average citizen would get away with this.

ScottFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 10:48 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Not drive him to a 16-year old girl at a hotel, that's for sure.

Anyway, it's kind of hard to lose respect for Lafleur, in that I think we mostly knew even during his playing days that he wasn't really the guy off the ice that would garner much "respect" as such, even though we idolized him for his play on the ice. Habs would probably do well to just edge nervously away from him, with each passing comment he makes, it only becomes more clear that he's not any kind of worthy ambassador for the team...

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 10:49 AM
coolasprICE

good for him .. who really cares though

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 10:55 AM
number 11

he was only acquitted because the judge made a mistake.

"Lawyers for Lafleur argued that the trial judge committed an error by not taking into consideration that their client thought the court-ordered curfew for Mark Lafleur applied to the hours and not the location."

number 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 10:56 AM
jamz

Quote:

lol
His son was going out with a 14 years old when he was 18, sleeping with her and making her drink and do drugs, hitting her, menacing her, manipulating her... it's all been reported. they went out for 3 years until her dad went to his flat to get her with a baseball bat, being scream at to get rap'ed by n******.

Quote:
The three-day trial heard about a tumultuous relationship between Lafleur and the girl which was highlighted by frequent drug and alcohol abuse and Lafleur's aggressive, controlling behaviour. The woman told the court that Mark Lafleur sexually assaulted her several times before she finally called police. She testified that throughout the course of a 2-1/2 year courtship, he punched her in the face, stabbed her in the hand and burned her with cigarettes.

Lafleur, 23, pleaded guilty earlier this week to 14 of the 16 other charges against him, which include assault, uttering threats to a minor and forcible confinement.
Then Guy Lafleur drove his 23 year old son to a hotel room to sleep with a 16 year old girl, while he was supposed to supervise him at home during curfew as he swore he'd do in court so his son would dodge a jail sentence for sexual assault... and he lied to the court about it.

Last edited by jamz: 08-17-2010 at 11:03 AM.
Old
08-17-2010, 11:05 AM
CastroLeRobot
Hab-a-bouille

Quote:
Unless we're talking about violent crimes, no parent should have to testify against their child. 90% of people would lie for their child (especially if it's a victimless crime, like breaking a curfew) and trying to trick them into testifying against their child is immoral, imo.

FFS, rapists and pedophiles get months in jail time in this country, in comparison Lafleurs' lie shouldn't even get a slap on the wrist, if we're going to be logical at all.

EDIT : The violent crimes were commited PRIOR to the hotel incident. And a 23 y/o with a 16 y/o is legal in this country so no argument there.

CastroLeRobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 11:11 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
Was hoping he'd spend years in prison.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 11:30 AM
jamz

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastroLeRobot View Post
EDIT : The violent crimes were commited PRIOR to the hotel incident. And a 23 y/o with a 16 y/o is legal in this country so no argument there.
The fact that the crimes on a young girl were commited before the incident makes it even worse he drove his son to the hotel (and lied about it).

It's also not illegal to smear feces all over your face, but it's also disgusting and I would also be ashamed for the organisation if one of its ambassadors did that.

Old
08-17-2010, 11:51 AM
CastroLeRobot
Hab-a-bouille

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
Was hoping he'd spend years in prison.

Old
08-17-2010, 11:58 AM
CastroLeRobot
Hab-a-bouille

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamz View Post
The fact that the crimes on a young girl were commited before the incident makes it even worse he drove his son to the hotel (and lied about it).

It's also not illegal to smear feces all over your face, but it's also disgusting and I would also be ashamed for the organisation if one of its ambassadors did that.
Guy Lafleur did not commit any crime except lying to the court about his son going out. The age of the Girlfriend is irrelevant. He lied to protect his son from going to jail. His son may be an idiot, a bad person or whatever, but Guy Lafleur is just a desperate father trying to help his son.

The police is not trying to convict him of driving the son to the hotel : THAT IS NOT THE CRIME. It's about LYING TO THE POLICE to protect his son.

It was a victimless crime since no one was hurt and the guy is STILL with the girlfriend.

The organisation has nothing to do ewith this either, and being on the habs payroll does not make you immune to parents feelings and biological urges to protect your child. If you don't understand that then I guess there's no point arguing now, is there?

All in all, the JUSTICE system says he's free to go, so do you think he bribed the judge? or maybe he signed a jersey for him?

Old
08-17-2010, 11:58 AM
E = CH²

Quote:
Good for him, although seems a bit too convenient for my liking.
Huh ?

The prosecution had an absolutely terrible case. Not only that but they really mishandled the whole arrest warrant thingie. Seemed like the prosecutor only wanted to make a name for himself. I'm glad it turned out this way and I hope Lafleur sues the living crap out of them.

And I've never watched Lafleur play, nor am I a huge fan of his opinions on the habs and how he represents the habs as an ambassador.

E = CH² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 12:11 PM
E = CH²

Quote:
Originally Posted by number 11 View Post
he was only acquitted because the judge made a mistake.

"Lawyers for Lafleur argued that the trial judge committed an error by not taking into consideration that their client thought the court-ordered curfew for Mark Lafleur applied to the hours and not the location."
You make it look like Lafleur did something wrong, like there was a procedural mistake and he was acquited because of it. If that's what you're implying then you're dead wrong.
Quote:

Quote:
Les juges de la Cour d'appel François Doyon, François Pelletier et Marie-France Bich estiment que le juge Parent a commis une erreur de fait déterminante qui a teinté son analyse et l'a amené à conclure que M. Lafleur avait agi malhonnêtement. Cette erreur de fait consiste à avoir considéré que le jeune Lafleur devait obligatoirement coucher chez ses parents, lors de ses permissions de sorties. Or, la poursuite n'a pas fait la preuve des conditions imposées par la maison de thérapie pour ces sorties. «Comment peut-on affirmer cela (omission volontaire de parler des couchers à l'hôtel), si l'exigence de demeurer chez ses parents n'a pas été prouvée», peut-on lire dans la décision de la Cour d'appel.
The original judge's mistake was that he assumed that Lafleur's son had to sleep at Lafleur's home. The conditions for Lafleur's son release into Guy's care never included that he had to sleep at his parents' house.

Lafleur could not wrongly mislead the judge when the condition to sleep at his parents house was never even proven in the first place.

E = CH² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 01:49 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Ohh goodie, now he'll have more time to make ridiculous declarations in the media.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 01:52 PM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

I really don't care

But I guess RDS has a story now

McSorleyStick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 01:57 PM
InglewoodJack

vCash: 1340
I guess family comes first, but this is obviously a star getting acquitted using his name. Although Guy is a D bag in real life, I don't think that he should be actually getting charged anyways.

InglewoodJack is offline   Reply With Quote