HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

HockeyBuzz - Kings interested in Malkin???

Closed Thread

Old
08-17-2010, 06:52 AM
wtbipyo

vCash: 500
HockeyBuzz - Kings interested in Malkin???

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=29791

Found this while going through my Google Reader this morning. Thoughts?

Old
08-17-2010, 06:53 AM
Levizk

A lot of teams are interested in Malkin, might as well write an article Kings looking to make a profit this year.

Old
08-17-2010, 07:22 AM
Dupree13

There's no way I can see us trading Malkin or Staal, but if the Kings were interested in Staal, I would definitely be interested to hear what they'd offer.

Old
08-17-2010, 07:23 AM
Whakahere

Send a message via MSN to Whakahere
well I think that the kings couldn't really offer us true value while we remain under the cap this season. If we were to trade malkin at any point it would have to before July 1st or we limit the amount of teams with cap space to trade to and we limit ourselves as well. malkin, because of the cap is going nowhere this season.

move along.

Old
08-17-2010, 07:25 AM
LawnyIris

Malkin
Late tonight there was a tweet that the Kings had made an offer to the Penguins for Malkin. Unless it included the names Brown, Simmonds and Schenn for STARTERS... oh, come on. Please stop. The Kings are interested in Staal and the Kings already had their steal of the millenium.

Thinking even the blogger knows this is crap. Can't wait for the season to start so their will be less of the trade rumor/proposal BS.

Old
08-17-2010, 07:25 AM
PKV Jungle Friends
Gonna Be a Gas...

It's from hockeybuzz, so take everything in the article with a grain of Mrs. Dash.

(instead of salt)

Old
08-17-2010, 07:28 AM
regard

The Cap isnt the reason Malkin is going nowhere this season.

And a deal could be worked under the cap if Doughty were coming the other way, but that doesnt matter because its not happening.

As for Staal Id really just like to keep him, if we could somehow get Simmons and Brown then Id be for it, but no chance that happens either.

Old
08-17-2010, 07:58 AM
IHWR
The Chiropractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnyIris View Post
Malkin
Late tonight there was a tweet that the Kings had made an offer to the Penguins for Malkin. Unless it included the names Brown, Simmonds and Schenn for STARTERS... oh, come on. Please stop. The Kings are interested in Staal and the Kings already had their steal of the millenium.

Thinking even the blogger knows this is crap. Can't wait for the season to start so their will be less of the trade rumor/proposal BS.
I'd hate for the starters to be Brown, Simmonds and Schenn. That's your standard spare parts* return for a superstar.

*yeah, yeah...I know they aren't terrible players but their sums don't equal Malkin

Old
08-17-2010, 08:22 AM
Riggs
Kaptain

As someone who watches a lot of Kings games.....If Malkin went to LA for something based around Kopitar or Doughty, I'd be ok(...not looking for my torch and pitchfork to head down the the Pens front office) with that.

Old
08-17-2010, 08:27 AM
JTG

You still read that site, eh?

If we were looking to trade Malkin, it would be to a team who has something I want. Personally, my dream scenario would be for us to deal with Dallas. They have solid NHL quality wingers and winger prospects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riggs View Post
As someone who watches a lot of Kings games.....If Malkin went to LA for something based around Kopitar or Doughty, I'd be ok(...not looking for my torch and pitchfork to head down the the Pens front office) with that.
There's no way they'd give up Kopitar and Doughty.

Old
08-17-2010, 08:35 AM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

I love Geno to death as a player, but he's not as untouchable as Sid, that's for sure.

I don't see LA being a good place to trade him, though.

Kopitar : Well, Kopitar is a downgrade from Geno, so there would have to be more pieces and they'd have to be relatively significant (combination of J. Johnson, Simmonds, others).

Doughty : I love the kid, but I don't think LA gets rid of him for anything in the world and I don't know if one phenomenal season is enough to get Shero to think about shipping Malkin out. There'd probably have to be additions, but not extremely significant.

Old
08-17-2010, 08:40 AM
Riggs
Kaptain

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG32005 View Post
There's no way they'd give up Kopitar and Doughty.
I agree....that's why I said "or".

Old
08-17-2010, 08:42 AM

Its funny how all of these trade talks come up about Malkin because the Pens need a winger when Malkin has looked really good on the wing during the WC's. I would rather just see his learn that role than take in a bunch of lesser players.

Also IF the Pens feel the need to make a deal involving Malkin or Staal please, PLEASE go after Bobby Ryan. I think we all know that they aren't going anywhere though.

Old
08-17-2010, 08:50 AM
MtlPenFan

Unless it's a Lindros type deal, which can never ever happen under a salary cap, I'm not interested. You will never ever get equal return.

We managed to snag TWO generational talents within a year of each other, something so rare that those two kids should be held on to no matter what the situation.

As long as 71 and 87 are on this roster, we will always, ALWAYS be contenders. We won't win every year, but we'll always be a legitimate threat.

Old
08-17-2010, 09:03 AM
JTG

You'll see Malkin get a good bit of time on the wing this season, IMO. The coaching staff just needs to come up with creative ways to get him the puck in space though and not allow him to get trapped against the wall.

Old
08-17-2010, 09:05 AM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

If Hockey Buzz said it, it must be worth starting a thread for.......................

Old
08-17-2010, 10:28 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
**** You, Duthie

Malkin to LA for...Hockeybuzz hits in the dog days of summer.

He's a non-starter. I'm not sure why anyone would think otherwise.

Old
08-17-2010, 10:36 AM
Snooki Stackhouse

With long term deals given to Letang, Martin, and Michalek, Doughty (while a solid start for Malkin) wouldn't really be a good fit since the top-6 is thin enough as it is. It'd have to start with Kopitar and Brown and include some picks/prospects.

When you consider Kopitar makes almost $7m/ and Brown makes over $3m/, would you rather have Malkin at $8.7 or Kopitar/Brown at $10m? Will Kopitar+Brown even outscore Malkin alone this season?

Why even bother making the trade. If Malkin is traded, it'll be close to the end of his contract -- certainly not now.

Old
08-17-2010, 10:45 AM
wtbipyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkochalek View Post
If Hockey Buzz said it, it must be worth starting a thread for.......................
Agreed...but it has made for some interesting discussion. I agree about keeping Malkin and assess as we approach either the trade deadline or July 1st.

Old
08-17-2010, 10:52 AM
gialloneri
Hypno-Brooks!

Is it 2008 again?

Old
08-17-2010, 10:59 AM
Hottubber

Im not for trading Malkin but the Kings do have the assests to aquire a player like him. They may not want to give them all up, but some combo of Brown, JJ, Simmonds, Schenn, and picks wouldnt be a terrible return. You will never get exact value for a player like Malkin, but obtaining some decent players, prospects and picks can work.

Old
08-17-2010, 11:00 AM
kovy1335

Send a message via AIM to kovy1335
In other news, several teams appear to be interested in acquiring Sidney Crosby. The Penguins are stubbornly resisting. Stay tuned...

Old
08-17-2010, 11:07 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
**** You, Duthie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottubber View Post
Im not for trading Malkin but the Kings do have the assests to aquire a player like him. They may not want to give them all up, but some combo of Brown, JJ, Simmonds, Schenn, and picks wouldnt be a terrible return. You will never get exact value for a player like Malkin, but obtaining some decent players, prospects and picks can work.
There's no incentive on this end.

We have a good defense.
We have elite center depth.
We have a recent winning history with this configuration, thanks in large part to our Conn Smythe winning young pivot.

We have less reason to deal Malkin than almost any other team in the league has to deal anyone.

No interest. How many times can it be said?

Old
08-17-2010, 11:15 AM
kmillzy5

hockeybuzz lol.

Old
08-17-2010, 11:29 AM
froods
Millerrrrrrr!!!

Obviously the Pens are not trading Malkin...and obviously it is hockey buzz, but for the sake of something to talk about about. Malkin to LA would never work now.....it could have before July 1. The Pens are set at D....obviously Drew Doughty would be an upgrade...but if the Pens were to ever part with Malkin it would have to include a all-star caliber winger. Brown is a natural center, Kopitar is a center, Schenn is a center....Anaheim or Edmonton would be a much better team to deal with if they ever decided to trade him.

Closed Thread