HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Ville Leino ready to take the next step?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-13-2010, 01:50 PM
  #26
BrindamoursNose
Registered User
 
BrindamoursNose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 5,646
vCash: 500
I don't trust him at all this upcoming season. His record shows that he's only a playoff performer, which is great, but we need more from him with Gags gone.

We'll see!

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 01:59 PM
  #27
BobbyClarkeFan16
Registered User
 
BobbyClarkeFan16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: London Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,755
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by agrudez View Post
JVR with 25 goals in his sophmore season with no PP time?

Has there EVER been a sophmore that put those kinds of goal totals with no PP time in the history of the NHL? Bobby Ryan is the only one I can think of that did it and he had 1st line PP time all season if I am not mistaken.

I will take 15-20 G, 35-40 points and slightly better defense from JVR and say that he is right on pace in his development.
What better left winger is there on the team? Hartnell? He can't stay out of the penalty box. Carcillo? He doesn't have the offensive skill that JVR does. Shelly? Enough said.

The moving of Gagne almost seems as if it were made specifically to move JVR to the top left wing position. It's put up or shut up time for the number 2 overall. And no, 40 points in his second season would be a drastic disappointment. At the very least, JVR should look to put up an additional 25 to 30 points on his rookie year.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2010, 07:56 AM
  #28
rban*
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,894
vCash: 500
I dont WANT him to play well in the regular season. I'd prefer he be like Claude Lemieux, a PO dynamo only. That way Philly gets leverage to sign him cheap when contract is due... BTW what is his status???

It's not like Flyers need him to score 25 goals to make the POs .....

Huge regular season stats suck. They make players unaffordable. Who cares what anyone does in the regular season? A team that's half decent will alwats make the POs.....The real season starts in April. Most of the year I dont even bother to watch many reg season games... waste of time...

rban* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2010, 11:01 AM
  #29
bballeric
 
bballeric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 45
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rban View Post
I dont WANT him to play well in the regular season. I'd prefer he be like Claude Lemieux, a PO dynamo only. That way Philly gets leverage to sign him cheap when contract is due... BTW what is his status???

It's not like Flyers need him to score 25 goals to make the POs .....

Huge regular season stats suck. They make players unaffordable. Who cares what anyone does in the regular season? A team that's half decent will alwats make the POs.....The real season starts in April. Most of the year I dont even bother to watch many reg season games... waste of time...

waste of time?

give me a break the regular season decides if you make the playoffs or not and if you dont watch ANY of the games you are not a true fan.

bballeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2010, 04:40 PM
  #30
Spongolium*
Potato Magician
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bridgend,UK
Country: Wales
Posts: 8,653
vCash: 500
Lol what an idiot

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2010, 04:42 PM
  #31
OriginJM
watch out im smart
 
OriginJM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 4,259
vCash: 500
You heard it here first folks, NHL regular season is a waste of time.

Close it down this year boys, hockey starts in April.

OriginJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2010, 04:51 PM
  #32
SgtJoseph
Registered User
 
SgtJoseph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Northwest Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 3,314
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginJM View Post
You heard it here first folks, NHL regular season is a waste of time.

Close it down this year boys, hockey starts in April.
There are a whole lot of awards and trophys handed out for the " waste of time " regular season. Also a hell of a lot of motivation during the " waste of time " regular season for players trying to get a pay raise or better contract the next season etc.The Flyers " waste of time " regular season run got their a$$es into the playoffs.I am looking forward to the "waste of time " regular season to get underway, bet you are too ?

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2010, 04:54 PM
  #33
OriginJM
watch out im smart
 
OriginJM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 4,259
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtJoseph View Post
There are a whole lot of awards and trophys handed out for the " waste of time " regular season. Also a hell of a lot of motivation during the " waste of time " regular season for players trying to get a pay raise or better contract the next season etc.The Flyers " waste of time " regular season run got their a$$es into the playoffs.I am looking forward to the "waste of time " regular season to get underway, bet you are too ?
Yes, I too am excited to waste lots of time this year.

OriginJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2010, 05:04 PM
  #34
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 12,346
vCash: 500
If he works hard on his skating and improves that area of his game i don't see him not being able to take the next step.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2010, 05:07 PM
  #35
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 13,871
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by harakiri View Post
If he works hard on his skating and improves that area of his game i don't see him not being able to take the next step.
He needs to improve balance. I thought his skating was alright though not spectacular, but if he works on not getting pushed around/getting a lower center of gravity when working along the boards, he'd be an even more dazzling puck-shark than he is now.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 10:45 AM
  #36
agrudez*
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: South Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 2,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
What better left winger is there on the team? Hartnell? He can't stay out of the penalty box. Carcillo? He doesn't have the offensive skill that JVR does. Shelly? Enough said.

The moving of Gagne almost seems as if it were made specifically to move JVR to the top left wing position. It's put up or shut up time for the number 2 overall. And no, 40 points in his second season would be a drastic disappointment. At the very least, JVR should look to put up an additional 25 to 30 points on his rookie year.
If he gets consistent PP time then yes, 40 points is a dissapointment, but do you see him getting that time?

I don't.

Hartnell
Carter
Zherdev
Giroux
Richards
Briere

are all locks for consistent PP time at forward, with Leino and JVR sniffing some scraps.

agrudez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 02:36 PM
  #37
BobbyClarkeFan16
Registered User
 
BobbyClarkeFan16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: London Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,755
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by agrudez View Post
If he gets consistent PP time then yes, 40 points is a dissapointment, but do you see him getting that time?

I don't.
They traded Gagne for more than just salary cap purposes. They traded Gagne with the intent on moving JVR to the top line. Even if he doesn't get PP time, at the very least, he should be good for about 3 to 4 more minutes of ice time a game. Get him in the 17 to 19 minute mark per game and he'll destroy the 35 points he put up in his rookie year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrudez View Post
Hartnell
Carter
Zherdev
Giroux
Richards
Briere

are all locks for consistent PP time at forward, with Leino and JVR sniffing some scraps.
I wouldn't say that those six are locks. JVR has Hartnell's size, but has better hands, and has a cooler head and won't do anything stupid with regards to penalties. Carter is a lock, but I wouldn't say Zherdev is a lock. Giroux, Richards, and Briere are locks, but even then, with three forwards, it's very possible that the Flyers go with 1 defenseman - 4 forwards in terms of power play time.

Honestly, Holmgren created the opening that JVR needed to get into the top spot. Mark my words, the top line on opening night will be JVR - Richards - Zherdev and will remain so for the year. JVR should very easily double his production this year. If he doesn't, then it's either due to sophmore jinx or because he didn't prepare himself for the upcoming season.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 02:47 PM
  #38
agrudez*
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: South Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 2,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
They traded Gagne for more than just salary cap purposes. They traded Gagne with the intent on moving JVR to the top line. Even if he doesn't get PP time, at the very least, he should be good for about 3 to 4 more minutes of ice time a game. Get him in the 17 to 19 minute mark per game and he'll destroy the 35 points he put up in his rookie year.



I wouldn't say that those six are locks. JVR has Hartnell's size, but has better hands, and has a cooler head and won't do anything stupid with regards to penalties. Carter is a lock, but I wouldn't say Zherdev is a lock. Giroux, Richards, and Briere are locks, but even then, with three forwards, it's very possible that the Flyers go with 1 defenseman - 4 forwards in terms of power play time.

Honestly, Holmgren created the opening that JVR needed to get into the top spot. Mark my words, the top line on opening night will be JVR - Richards - Zherdev and will remain so for the year. JVR should very easily double his production this year. If he doesn't, then it's either due to sophmore jinx or because he didn't prepare himself for the upcoming season.
Honestly, Zherdev is probably the most talented offensive threat on our roster right now. He may be a defensive liability and slightly lazy, but that doesn't matter on the PP, so why in the world would he not play on the PP?

JVR also does not have the experience (nor the strength) that Hartnell has as being the big idiot in front of the net screening the goalie, I would be extremely surprised to see him transplant him for that role.

You make a good point about his ice time upping even without PP time, but 19 ES minutes would likely lead the forward corps... I would expect 16 mins/night and 45 points with little PP time.

Didn't you all learn from your mistake last offseason when you assumed Giroux was a lock for 90 points?

agrudez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2010, 10:16 AM
  #39
BobbyClarkeFan16
Registered User
 
BobbyClarkeFan16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: London Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,755
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by agrudez View Post
Honestly, Zherdev is probably the most talented offensive threat on our roster right now. He may be a defensive liability and slightly lazy, but that doesn't matter on the PP, so why in the world would he not play on the PP?

JVR also does not have the experience (nor the strength) that Hartnell has as being the big idiot in front of the net screening the goalie, I would be extremely surprised to see him transplant him for that role.

You make a good point about his ice time upping even without PP time, but 19 ES minutes would likely lead the forward corps... I would expect 16 mins/night and 45 points with little PP time.

Didn't you all learn from your mistake last offseason when you assumed Giroux was a lock for 90 points?
Nah, not at all. Giroux would have been ok, but he was an awful lot like Briere when Briere first came to Philadelphia - he had a bunch of different linemates throughout the season and he also moved between all three forward positions. When Laviolette decided to leave Giroux at center, we all saw what happened. He might not be the biggest guy on the team, but give him some time and he'll be the best faceoff guy on the team.

With all the weapons at Laviolette's disposal, I can't see him not find a spot for JVR on one of the power play units. I think Laviolette is in a situation where he's going to have to run two units of four forwards and one defender for the first little while. Or, he might run it all year.

In terms of JVRs ice time, I can very easily see him get between 17 and 19 minutes per game if he's one of the top six forwards. And when you look on the left side, you've got JVR, Hartnell, Carcillo and Shelley. If Carcillo is given a top six role over JVR, then Laviolette needs to be fired. That's my reasoning for JVR having a huge boost in production. Let's not forget that he scored 35 points in less than 13 minutes per game. Boost his ice time by about four minutes and add in that this is his second season and a big jump should be in order.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2010, 10:38 AM
  #40
agrudez*
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: South Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 2,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Nah, not at all. Giroux would have been ok, but he was an awful lot like Briere when Briere first came to Philadelphia - he had a bunch of different linemates throughout the season and he also moved between all three forward positions. When Laviolette decided to leave Giroux at center, we all saw what happened. He might not be the biggest guy on the team, but give him some time and he'll be the best faceoff guy on the team.

With all the weapons at Laviolette's disposal, I can't see him not find a spot for JVR on one of the power play units. I think Laviolette is in a situation where he's going to have to run two units of four forwards and one defender for the first little while. Or, he might run it all year.

In terms of JVRs ice time, I can very easily see him get between 17 and 19 minutes per game if he's one of the top six forwards. And when you look on the left side, you've got JVR, Hartnell, Carcillo and Shelley. If Carcillo is given a top six role over JVR, then Laviolette needs to be fired. That's my reasoning for JVR having a huge boost in production. Let's not forget that he scored 35 points in less than 13 minutes per game. Boost his ice time by about four minutes and add in that this is his second season and a big jump should be in order.
I try not to get caught up in LW and RW depth, but rather wing in general.

The Flyers wing depth is:
Zherdev
Briere/Giroux
Hartnell
JVR
Leino
Carcillo
Lappy
Shelley

I actually would like to see JVR on a line with Richards or Carter (he compliments both, imo) next year, but as for PP time, I just don't see him getting a ton... who does he supplant?

1st team PP:
Hartnell - Carter - Richards
Pronger - Carle

The crash, bang, let Pronger tee it up unit working in the umbrella formation. Hartnell screens goalie, Carle and Richards play the halfway of the umbrella, Carter floats in the slot for a rebound and Pronger lets it rip.

2nd team PP:
Giroux - Briere - Zherdev
Timonen - Meszaros

The fancy, smanshy, passing unit in a cycling forward set. Roo and Briere love playing from behind the net so they will cycle down low, Zherdev sits in the slot for one timers and Timonen/Meszaros keep the puck in play at the points.

The only spot I can see JVR fitting is Hartnell's slot IF (and this is a big if) he comes to camp with massive strength gains and learns how to screen. Next season, I can see it, this season, I cannot. Putting on muscle is hard, he looked like a skinny kid last year, there is no way he puts on more than 10-15 lbs of muscle this offseason AND learns how to play the mucker/grinder role on the PP... and to be honest, do you want to ruin his skillset by teaching him that?

It sounds like you want Richards on D, which would be fine if he replaced Carle, but then who plays the other half way? JVR isn't going to work on the outside of an umbrella system... Leino maybe, but not JVR. Which brings me to another points... what if Leino continues to impress? Does JVR get auto PP time over him?

Obviously things can change in camp, but just from a systematic and depth stand point, I just don't see it.

agrudez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2010, 08:37 PM
  #41
rban*
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,894
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bballeric View Post
waste of time?

give me a break the regular season decides if you make the playoffs or not and if you dont watch ANY of the games you are not a true fan.
LOL, yes, Flyers are sooo borderline this year they may not even make the POs. I really need to watch every single reg season game with bated breath to see if they make it.

AND as to my original point, as a supposed Flyer fan, i'm sure u'll enjoy it a lot if Leino does pot 30 goals this season.

With ur cap situation, i'm sure u'll enjoy watching him leave for richer picjings as soon as he is able.

rban* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2010, 08:38 PM
  #42
rban*
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,894
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginJM View Post
Yes, I too am excited to waste lots of time this year.
Yes, those awards and trophies are each ten times more important than the Cup, of course.

rban* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2010, 08:40 PM
  #43
rban*
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,894
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Lol what an idiot
Yes and u are a genius, I think I have a Nobel Prize in my back pocket just for you.

rban* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2010, 08:42 PM
  #44
ForsbergIsOdin
Registered User
 
ForsbergIsOdin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Asgaard
Country: Sweden
Posts: 8,391
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ForsbergIsOdin
Rooting for Ville big time. Hope he doesnt burn out. He may, if he keeps taking hits like the ones he did in the POs.

ForsbergIsOdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2010, 08:56 PM
  #45
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!
 
Hockeypete49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: South Jersey
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 4,322
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
What better left winger is there on the team? Hartnell? He can't stay out of the penalty box. Carcillo? He doesn't have the offensive skill that JVR does. Shelly? Enough said.

The moving of Gagne almost seems as if it were made specifically to move JVR to the top left wing position. It's put up or shut up time for the number 2 overall. And no, 40 points in his second season would be a drastic disappointment. At the very least, JVR should look to put up an additional 25 to 30 points on his rookie year.
Now do not get me wrong here. But I think you are being a little harsh on the kid. I to feel that he has to step it up and be more consistent this season. If he shows marked improvement this year I will be happy. On the other hand if he hasn't been pumping iron this off season I will be pissed. Consistency and strength must improve. By the way I am old school to and #16 is my all time favorite player

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2010, 09:33 PM
  #46
JABEE
Registered User
 
JABEE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 1,560
vCash: 500
I think he will have about 25 goals and 40 assists. Then the Flyers will lose him after this season unfortunately due to the cap. Whenever Leino got playing time last year he produced.

JABEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 03:19 AM
  #47
Finnpin
Registered User
 
Finnpin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Helsinki
Country: Finland
Posts: 8,021
vCash: 500
So far 11 gp 2 goals 7 assists and +2

Have seen only one game from him...how has he looked?

Artists have to play like artists or they are useless so Go Ville!!!

Finnpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:15 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.