HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flower acquitted!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-17-2010, 03:25 PM
  #26
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Country: Sri Lanka
Posts: 17,502
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodJack View Post
I guess family comes first, but this is obviously a star getting acquitted using his name. Although Guy is a D bag in real life, I don't think that he should be actually getting charged anyways.
No it's not, please know what you're talking about when you're making wild claims like this. It makes you look really bad. The prosecution had a terrible case. The original judge made a huge mistake and assumed things he shouldn't have.

And how can you even think that he got acquitted because of his name when you don't even think he should have been charged in the first place ? Contradiction much ?

This thread is a good example of people who cannot differentiate the man from the facts.

It looks like I'm defending Lafleur (of whom I'm not a big fan since I never saw him play), but it's just that I hate it when people draw all the wrong conclusions based on their misconceptions.

Des Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 03:49 PM
  #27
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey
 
BenchBrawl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9,362
vCash: 500
The disrespect for Guy Lafleur I can read on the MONTREAL CANADIENS board is disgusting

BenchBrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 03:54 PM
  #28
BLONG7
Registered User
 
BLONG7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 12,710
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReenMachine View Post
The disrespect for Guy Lafleur I can read on the MONTREAL CANADIENS board is disgusting
Tremendous player in his day...but then and now, as much as it pains me to say it, his character off the ice has been suspect for a long time...this coming from a huge Lafleur fan...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 03:58 PM
  #29
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Country: Sri Lanka
Posts: 17,502
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReenMachine View Post
The disrespect for Guy Lafleur I can read on the MONTREAL CANADIENS board is disgusting
All the respect in the world for what he accomplished on the ice, even if I haven't seen him play, but little respect for the man.

I have a lot more respect for Beliveau, Gainey, Carbonneau, Tremblay, Houle, Cournoyer, Geoffrion, etc as people than I do for Lafleur.

It's kind of the same deal as people being unable to separate Gainey the GM from Gainey the person from Gainey the player.

Des Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 04:25 PM
  #30
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey
 
BenchBrawl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9,362
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
All the respect in the world for what he accomplished on the ice, even if I haven't seen him play, but little respect for the man.

I have a lot more respect for Beliveau, Gainey, Carbonneau, Tremblay, Houle, Cournoyer, Geoffrion, etc as people than I do for Lafleur.

It's kind of the same deal as people being unable to separate Gainey the GM from Gainey the person from Gainey the player.
Why? That doesn't make any sense.The guy says a lot of stuff but that doesn't mean you should lose respect for him.Lafleur always take times for his fans and is a very gentle person and he accomplished a lot and he EARNED the right to say whatever the **** he wants.I tell you if Lafleur was playing for the habs right now a lot of young people would sing a differant song but I guess that's typical.I will always defend Lafleur because I think the *lost respect for the man* is unfair to him , while you get to choose who you respect or don't , I don't see any reason to disrespect this great man.

BenchBrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 04:35 PM
  #31
deandebean
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Gatineau, cālisse
Country: uriname
Posts: 9,045
vCash: 500
In order to understand who Lafleur was and what he represents, you need to have lived the Lafleur years. If not, then you know squat. I read stuff here on Lafleur that makes me wonder what people really know about their Habs history.

I'm happy he got away from that legal mess, brought up by some cop broad with a chip on her shoulder.

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 04:44 PM
  #32
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Country: Sri Lanka
Posts: 17,502
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReenMachine View Post
Why? That doesn't make any sense.The guy says a lot of stuff but that doesn't mean you should lose respect for him.Lafleur always take times for his fans and is a very gentle person and he accomplished a lot and he EARNED the right to say whatever the **** he wants.I tell you if Lafleur was playing for the habs right now a lot of young people would sing a differant song but I guess that's typical.I will always defend Lafleur because I think the *lost respect for the man* is unfair to him , while you get to choose who you respect or don't , I don't see any reason to disrespect this great man.
All I see here is "he was great player, I saw him play, he gets a free pass from me and cay say whatever he wants".

That's honestly fine with me. I can understand why people feel this way. But you haven't given me any reason to think I should back him up no matter what considering I haven't seen him play.

He keeps dissing the habs puclicly while being hired as an ambassador. He has the same job description as Beliveau's. You don't see Beliveau dissing the habs like that. Richard was also upset with the habs and he didn't act like Lafleur. If you're taking a paycheck to be an ambassador you have a job description and a responsibility. I guess I would act completely differently if I was Lafleur.

Des Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 05:16 PM
  #33
LeBlondeDemon10
BlindLemon Haystacks
 
LeBlondeDemon10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,117
vCash: 500
Two things. Firstly, as much as I am a fan of Guy, it is unlikely I would lie for my son the way he did. He abetted criminal behavior. I am mystified by the number of people I have heard of and read about that would lie for their children, even when it does not serve in their best interests. Guy`s boy needed much more guidance, structure and `tough love`than Guy CHOSE to provide him. If your parents aren`t going to call you on your ********, than you can likely expect a future of the legal system stepping in as a surogate parent and sending you to your `room every`now and then. Be aware of the message you are sending your kids.

Secondly, he was acquitted because he got off on a legal technicality. This was not the Justice System at work; it was a legal system at work that lawyers scan for loopholes. Unfortunately, Guy just sent another ill advised message to his son. I fear we will see Mark before the court in the not too distant future. I hope not though.

LeBlondeDemon10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 05:29 PM
  #34
ILuvLucic*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Location Location
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,923
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReenMachine View Post
The disrespect for Guy Lafleur I can read on the MONTREAL CANADIENS board is disgusting
No it's not. He lied in court, he and his son are criminals whether that conviction is thrown out or not. Being a hockey player only means so much in life, and outside the NHL world it's very little.

ILuvLucic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 05:32 PM
  #35
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey
 
BenchBrawl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9,362
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fool View Post
No it's not. He lied in court, he and his son are criminals whether that conviction is thrown out or not. Being a hockey player only means so much in life, and outside the NHL world it's very little.
Oh so you're one of those people who thinks life is white or black and never grey.

BenchBrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 05:54 PM
  #36
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Country: Sri Lanka
Posts: 17,502
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBlondeDemon10 View Post

Secondly, he was acquitted because he got off on a legal technicality. This was not the Justice System at work; it was a legal system at work that lawyers scan for loopholes. Unfortunately, Guy just sent another ill advised message to his son. I fear we will see Mark before the court in the not too distant future. I hope not though.
Well you're wrong there so I'm going to assume you haven't read the thread because I put it pretty clearly.

The conditions for release were never that he had to sleep at his parents house.

Lafleur lied to the court on something that was COMPLETELY irrelevant. It's as if the prosecutor had asked if Lafleur's son had eaten chicken in his stay and Lafleur had said no while he really did eat chicken. That's about as relevant. So it's not a technicality, the whole premise was just off from the get go. All 3 judges threw the case without a possibility for appeal because the first judge was so off base.

It was NOT a technicality and if you don't know what you're talking about, it's not an opinion, you should get better information or not comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReenMachine View Post
Oh so you're one of those people who thinks life is white or black and never grey.
I'm not Lafleur's biggest fan but he was put in an impossible situation and I know that a lot of people would have done as he did. I can't believe people are so cold and would throw their son to the wolves without even thinking about it. And it's not like Lafleur had much of a chance to ponder the consequences when he was asked that question. A question he most likely didn't expect.

Des Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 05:55 PM
  #37
ILuvLucic*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Location Location
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,923
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReenMachine View Post
Oh so you're one of those people who thinks life is white or black and never grey.
No.

But not telling them where your son was when they ask you to tell them where you son was is not gray.

ILuvLucic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 06:01 PM
  #38
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Country: Sri Lanka
Posts: 17,502
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fool View Post
No it's not. He lied in court, he and his son are criminals whether that conviction is thrown out or not. Being a hockey player only means so much in life, and outside the NHL world it's very little.
Please learn more about courts and the law. I put "Lying in court" in google and one of the very first link was this :

http://www.tenant.net/Court/nolo/nn102.html

Fun parts of the article :
Quote:
One of the things schools don't teach in courses on the court system is that in almost every trial, at least one of the parties will step up to the witness stand, swear to tell the truth "so help me God" and then sit down and violate that oath.

Lying under oath is an accepted element of most trials. If that weren't true, there would be little need for a jury.
Quote:
There is, of course, the crime of perjury, described in the California Penal Code as follows:

"Every person who, having taken an oath that he or she will testify...truly before any competent tribunal..., willfully ...states as true any material matter which he or she knows to be false...is guilty of perjury."

But all of us who have been around the court system for a while know that perjury is almost never prosecuted.
Of course that's for americans, but it's most likely very similar for canadian courts.

I can't believe the number of people who don't know a thing, yet, feel compelled to have an opinion on anything and everything.

Des Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 06:03 PM
  #39
ILuvLucic*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Location Location
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,923
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
Please learn more about courts and the law. I put "Lying in court" in google and one of the very first link was this :

http://www.tenant.net/Court/nolo/nn102.html

Fun parts of the article :




Of course that's for americans, but it's most likely very similar for canadian courts.

I can't believe the number of people who don't know a thing, yet, feel compelled to have an opinion on anything and everything.
He still lied...

ILuvLucic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 06:07 PM
  #40
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Country: Sri Lanka
Posts: 17,502
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fool View Post
He still lied...
So he's criminal ? I hope you have never ever lied to a police officer or prosecutor, and would never do so under any circumstances, to be so high and mighty.

You said he, and his son, are criminals.

I'm going to go ahead and assume you have never been prosecuted or had someone close to you prosecuted.

You're bombarded with questions you don't expect, and you have to make split decisions in moral matters in which you're personally involved. It can't be easy. Yet you are here judging him so easily.

Des Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 06:08 PM
  #41
Kriss E
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 25,054
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsDood View Post
Not important anymore..

what would you do for your son, at least once?
Set my son straight for being abusive of younger girls. I have no problem with Lafleur trying to cover for his sons mistakes. But the real mistake is how poorly he brought up his son.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 06:11 PM
  #42
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Country: Sri Lanka
Posts: 17,502
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Set my son straight for being abusive of younger girls. I have no problem with Lafleur trying to cover for his sons mistakes. But the real mistake is how poorly he brought up his son.
Of course, it must be the parents fault that the son is a dirt bag. No good parents ever had children that were raised properly but yet turned out to be disappointments.

And well that's good for Lafleur's son, I mean, it's not his fault, after all he was not raised properly.

Good job not knowing a thing and assuming everything.

Des Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 06:19 PM
  #43
ILuvLucic*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Location Location
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,923
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
So he's criminal ? I hope you have never ever lied to a police officer or prosecutor, and would never do so under any circumstances, to be so high and mighty.

You said he, and his son, are criminals.

I'm going to go ahead and assume you have never been prosecuted or had someone close to you prosecuted.

You're bombarded with questions you don't expect, and you have to make split decisions in moral matters in which you're personally involved. It can't be easy. Yet you are here judging him so easily.
Well he committed perjury which your article states is a crime. I'm not trying to act all high and mighty, but people saying he can get away with it because he was a hockey star is ridiculous.

ILuvLucic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 06:20 PM
  #44
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Country: Sri Lanka
Posts: 17,502
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fool View Post
Well he committed perjury which your article states is a crime. I'm not trying to act all high and mighty, but people saying he can get away with it because he was a hockey star is ridiculous.
No one said that.

And that's not why he got away with it.

Also perjury is someting that happens really often in courts and is rarely prosecuted. Especially if the lie was irrelevant in the case. Which it was which is why he "got away with it".

Des Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 06:47 PM
  #45
Kriss E
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 25,054
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
Of course, it must be the parents fault that the son is a dirt bag. No good parents ever had children that were raised properly but yet turned out to be disappointments.

And well that's good for Lafleur's son, I mean, it's not his fault, after all he was not raised properly.

Good job not knowing a thing and assuming everything.
Sure, you can have good parents and still turn out to be a moron. But when you participate in helping your son break his parole, I have to wonder just how good of a job you're doing at that parenting thing.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 07:00 PM
  #46
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Country: Sri Lanka
Posts: 17,502
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Sure, you can have good parents and still turn out to be a moron. But when you participate in helping your son break his parole, I have to wonder just how good of a job you're doing at that parenting thing.
OMG..................... dot... 3 dots.. more dots

I think I'm getting trolled. I must be.

Des Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 07:52 PM
  #47
Kriss E
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 25,054
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
OMG..................... dot... 3 dots.. more dots

I think I'm getting trolled. I must be.
Was he not under parole?..or needed to respect a curfew?

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 08:39 PM
  #48
Crimson Skorpion
HFB Partner
 
Crimson Skorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Lachine, Quebec
Country: Germany
Posts: 29,166
vCash: 500
Awards:
The Good : Guy Lafleur won't go to jail.

The Bad : Does this open the door to other fathers, to get away with this type of act? Lie for your son that committed a crime and get away with it? If it happens once where a guy is acquitted then you can bet it will be used in future cases, as an example of why the father should be acquitted. It can now be used as the "Guy Lafleur excuse".

I'm not too sure. I'm happy Lafleur is not going to jail on an act that basically any father would do for their own child, but will this open the door for all other fathers to lie for their kids in the court of law and get away with it? To me, that screams out just how flawed the legal system here is.

Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 08:54 PM
  #49
LeBlondeDemon10
BlindLemon Haystacks
 
LeBlondeDemon10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,117
vCash: 500
[QUOTE=E = CH²;27424230]Well you're wrong there so I'm going to assume you haven't read the thread because I put it pretty clearly.

The conditions for release were never that he had to sleep at his parents house.

Lafleur lied to the court on something that was COMPLETELY irrelevant. It's as if the prosecutor had asked if Lafleur's son had eaten chicken in his stay and Lafleur had said no while he really did eat chicken. That's about as relevant. So it's not a technicality, the whole premise was just off from the get go. All 3 judges threw the case without a possibility for appeal because the first judge was so off base.

It was NOT a technicality and if you don't know what you're talking about, it's not an opinion, you should get better information or not comment.

Gee, I wonder why Lafleur didn`t check with the Court about where his son was supposed to stay. The fact is he still lied.

LeBlondeDemon10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 09:10 PM
  #50
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Country: Sri Lanka
Posts: 17,502
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Was he not under parole?..or needed to respect a curfew?
The curfew didn't state where his son had to sleep. I don't know how much clearer I can be. So his son was sleeping somewhere else, in time, but not at Lafleur's house. And it was never proven that Lafleur was told or knew he had to keep him at his house.

You people need to stop making wild accusation, stop saying he's a criminal, or that it opens up the way for others to lie about their son... please.......

Des Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:27 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.