HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers in the market for an assistant coach(PP)

Old
08-17-2010, 04:52 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
Rangers in the market for an assistant coach(PP)

Jim Matheson reported last month Christer Rockstrom was no longer employed by the Rangers and mentioned former Oilers european scout and former NHLer Kent Nilsson as a possible replacement but the Rangers had another role in mind for Nilsson who hooked up with the Panthers as an European scout.

Quote:
Nilsson, whose son Robert was bought out and recently signed to play in Russia, quit the Oilers several weeks ago. The Rangers were also interested in hiring him because of Glen Satherís ties with Nilsson, but the team reportedly wanted him as a coach to help with their powerplay.
Read more: http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sport...#ixzz0wu0JOrcA

Nilsson probably didn't want to move to New York.

If not Nilsson,maybe the Rangers will hire someone else.

Thought the PP was Torts area of expertise?

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 05:17 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Old
08-17-2010, 05:34 PM
eco's bones

Having the likes of LeCavalier, Brad Richards, St. Louis in their primes and Andreychuk, Modin going to the net and Dan Boyle running things back at the blueline could make a lot of coaches look like pwp geniuses.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 05:46 PM
turcotte8

Our power play went from 29th to 13th. I'd say that's an improvement.

turcotte8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 05:51 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by turcotte8 View Post
Touche, good point.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 06:03 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by turcotte8 View Post
That is the difference. Our PP went up significantly more than our PK went down. May have been the difference between the 210 we scored in 0809 and the 222 we scored in 0910.

Before anyone attributes it all to Gaborik; note this;

Gaborik in 0910 had 14 PP goals

Naslund and Antropov both had 8 PP goals in 0809

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 07:29 PM
eco's bones

Fair enough. We had a better pwp.

OTOH we went from 43-30-9 and 95 points in 08-09 to 38-33-11 and 87 points in 09-10 even with the much improved pwp and effective pk. 95 points last season would have put us in the 7 spot in the East. So if the pwp and pk were fine we must have been quite a bit worse at even strength.

Old
08-17-2010, 07:41 PM
Callahan Auto
Rational Police

Our goal differential also went from -8 to +4. The only two teams in the league to finish with positive goal differentials and not make the playoffs were us and St. Louis, who finished 9th in the West. Only Ottawa and Montreal had negative goal differentials and made the playoffs. In sports, luck is an x-factor that can change everything. I think we were a tad unlucky to finish out of the playoffs. I'm not saying that we were a threat to win the championship but we were a playoff caliber team, for the most part. If we can make another 12 goal improvement in goal differential, we'll probably be a 4-6 seed.

It might be counter intuitive but a hockey team could be better than the year before, while falling in the standings.

Callahan Auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 07:51 PM
x BEUKEBOOM x
Buuuuuuuuuuuk !

I thought Sullivan was our power play guy?

x BEUKEBOOM x is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 07:58 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Having someone on the blueline who doesn't handle the puck like a live grenade certainly didn't hurt.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 08:07 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Fair enough. We had a better pwp.

OTOH we went from 43-30-9 and 95 points in 08-09 to 38-33-11 and 87 points in 09-10 even with the much improved pwp and effective pk. 95 points last season would have put us in the 7 spot in the East. So if the pwp and pk were fine we must have been quite a bit worse at even strength.
Maybe the point of having another assistant coach focusing on the PP would be to allow Tortorella to spend more time working at the even strength issue. Having only one true assistant coach is ridiculous in today's game.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 08:09 PM
FOXHOUND*

perhaps our powerplay would be better if john re-grew that mustache

FOXHOUND* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 08:15 PM
Callahan Auto
Rational Police

In all fairness, it would probably be for our best if everyone on our team grew a mustache like that.

Callahan Auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 09:25 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
Maybe the point of having another assistant coach focusing on the PP would be to allow Tortorella to spend more time working at the even strength issue. Having only one true assistant coach is ridiculous in today's game.
I agree with the need for another asst. coach but that was Tortorella's choice. He wanted and was comfortable with Sullivan. I don't know if there is someone else out there he's comfortable with. Come to think of it I think Schoenfeld works with the defense at least some of the time. It's hard when you're bringing in two rookies--especially one as young as MDZ--both of whom are offensive minded and need work on positioning etc. McDonagh might not be as tough to fit in because he's more a positional defensive minded player and he's physically mature.

Part of the reason though the pwp worked better was someone as lethal as Gaborik but Del Zotto was a great addition as well and has the abilities or a real pwp qb. Some of what he does can't be taught to just anyone--you have to have not only the skills but the instincts. You can design all kinds of plays but you need players who can execute and also ad lib when they need to. Gaborik and Del Zotto are way better at this than anyone we had on the team in 08-09.

Old
08-17-2010, 09:33 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Right, but those guys know what Tortorella expects. In fact, aside from Frolov and possibly MZA, all the guys looking a PP time this year know the system. They just need drilling. If Tortorella can bring in someone he trusts to do the drills for the PP, it would allow him to focus on other areas for improvement. That's more my point. He's still going to work on the PP, obviously, but he might not have to put as much focus as last year.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 09:37 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gift of Gaborik View Post
In all fairness, it would probably be for our best if everyone on our team grew a mustache like that.
Good for team bonding... Call in Ryan Hollweg.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 09:42 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

I vote the PP has no coach this year. I think they should just send Gabby, Frolov, MDZ and two random players not named Boogieman out there and just get as many pucks to the net as possible

08-17-2010, 09:47 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOXHOUND View Post
perhaps our powerplay would be better if john re-grew that mustache

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 10:04 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Sullivan is being fired?

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 11:07 PM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gift of Gaborik View Post
nothing sparks more fear in the heart of the enemy than a nice burly molestache.

a great idea if i may say so myself

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 11:53 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

The PP really improved besides all of the shorthanded nonsense thanks to Kotalik half the time.

Hopefully Del Z continues to improve, Anisimov gets more PP time, MZA can be the playmaker in the circles, and the other guys just keep doing what they're doing.

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 11:55 PM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
Sullivan is being fired?
He's our 1 and only assistant coach. We're looking to add another 1 which would finally bring us back to the norm of 2.

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2010, 04:59 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Jim Matheson reported last month Christer Rockstrom was no longer employed by the Rangers and mentioned former Oilers european scout and former NHLer Kent Nilsson as a possible replacement but the Rangers had another role in mind for Nilsson who hooked up with the Panthers as an European scout.

Read more: http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sport...#ixzz0wu0JOrcA

Nilsson probably didn't want to move to New York.

If not Nilsson,maybe the Rangers will hire someone else.

Thought the PP was Torts area of expertise?

Slats wanted to sign Kent Nilsson as a assistant coach???????

loooooooool

Like, this is how Slats must have thought: "okey we need a PP guy, who should we sign? There are maybe a couple of 1000's options." Thats how he must have thought. And then "hmm what is Kent Nilsson doing these days? I met with him in some arena scouting a while back and he was interested to work with us in some way. He was a good playmaking center back in the day -- why not sign him? He is probably a person I can work with."

Thats the criteria he must set up. I mean, I am sure Kent Nilsson would kick my rear as a PP coach in the NHL -- but is he the best man for the job? Do we have a clue if he knows what it takes or not? I mean the PP these days aren't exactly like it was 10-15 years ago. Players are extremely good at blocking shots. Most D's have the sticks pointing out towards the boards on the PP, instead of the classic in towards the ice set up so that you can get one-timers since they are mostly blocked. This is a field that is everychangning, like everything else in the game; why would Kent Nilsson be the man?

Besides that, I think K. Nilsson have some questionmarks when it comes to his attitude. He starred in the reality show in Sweden a couple of years ago et c and he is the type of guy who loves to make boneheaded comments et c.

Ola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2010, 05:38 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Sullivan handles the penalty killing units. Schoenfeld works with the D. The PP is(was) Torts specialty.

Old
08-18-2010, 07:10 AM
eco's bones

Boogaard might not be a bad option occasionally--say when we're playing Boston (Chara) or the Flyers (Pronger). Big enough, strong enough, mean enough to keep those guys occupied in front of the net instead of doing what they normally do-covering tons of ground and beating up on whoever they run into. And I'm sure most goalies wouldn't be too happy having such a huge body in front of them. I wouldn't expect him to score too many goals though but it would certainly give us a different look.