8/16 - Who gets traded first?

Old
08-17-2010, 05:22 PM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapple View Post
Finally someone agrees. Miettinen put up 42 points in 2009-10 and 44 in 2008-09 . His stats are almost identical to Matt Cullen's from 2009-10.
Miettinen (and Brunette, frankly) is a bargain at 2.33 million per season, in my opinion. However, he's a bargain at that money on the 2nd line or the 3rd line while still putting up around 40 points.

As a first liner, he's lacking. I was going to say garbage, but frankly, he's better than some other first liners we've seen, and some first liners around the league currently.

I'll be interested to see how the lines shake out during training camp for this coming season. Does Richards eff with the chemistry of Brunette - Koivu - Miettinen? Or, will we see more experimentation? Havlat and Koivu didn't exactly hit it off at the beginning of last season, but how much of that was due to injury and not having a valid double threat? Will the chemistry developed between Lats and Havlat carry? Should they stay together?

I don't have a lot of confidence in Richards figuring that out, but frankly, I would still like to see things mixed up a bit more.

Let's try the following;
Latendresse - Koivu - Bouchard
Brunette - Cullen - Havlat
Miettinen - Brodziak - Kobasew
Nystrom - Madden - Clutterbuck

bozak911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 06:01 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
i really hate to be picky (okay, no i don't), but if we're going to pay someone to be our franchise centre they really shouldn't have issues creating chemistry with anyone. if Koivu needs mittens on his line, it was a huge mistake to give him that contract.

I personally believe Mikko can enhance the play of anyone on his line--that's probably his most valuable attribute as it relates to the scoresheet; the more skill you put up there with him, the bigger the boost in production.

I'm not condoning just automatically throwing all your best players on the top line, but if you have Bouchard playing on the third line (even if it is supposed to be a third scoring line) with the corresponding drop in minutes while you're feeding Mittens first-line minutes you aren't maximizing your scoring potential. All my opinion, of course, and dependent on the health of the parties named. hell, watching their playing style I would think kobasew would do better playing with koivu than mittens.

rynryn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 08:06 PM
nickschultzfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
i really hate to be picky (okay, no i don't), but if we're going to pay someone to be our franchise centre they really shouldn't have issues creating chemistry with anyone. if Koivu needs mittens on his line, it was a huge mistake to give him that contract.

I personally believe Mikko can enhance the play of anyone on his line--that's probably his most valuable attribute as it relates to the scoresheet; the more skill you put up there with him, the bigger the boost in production.

I'm not condoning just automatically throwing all your best players on the top line, but if you have Bouchard playing on the third line (even if it is supposed to be a third scoring line) with the corresponding drop in minutes while you're feeding Mittens first-line minutes you aren't maximizing your scoring potential. All my opinion, of course, and dependent on the health of the parties named. hell, watching their playing style I would think kobasew would do better playing with koivu than mittens.
The way I see it, Koivu = 1st line center; Cullen = 2nd line center; Brodziak = 3rd line center. Now, let's look at our top-9 wingers:

LW
Brunette (playmaker, more than shooter)
Lats (shooter, little playmaking)
Kobasew (shooter, no playmaking)

RW
Miettinen (half-playmaker, half-shooter)
Havlat (half-playmaker, half-shooter)
Bouchard (playmaker, little shooting)

I see only two possible pairings of the wingers:
Option 1: Brunette/Miettinen, Lats/Havlat, Kobasew/Bouchard
Option 2: Brunette/Kobasew, Lats/Bouchard, Miettinen/Havlat

The first option seems like a much better choice, given the known chemistry between Brunette/Miettinen and Lats/Havlat, along with the logically fit of a pure shooter in Kobasew and a pure passer in Bouchard.

After that point, you just fit the 3 centers with whoever works the best.

Brunette/Koivu/Miettinen is decent, and even deadly some games.
Lats/Cullen/Havlat would have size, speed, and skill, but Brodziak didn't look out of place on that line either.
Kobasew/Brodziak/Bouchard would be balanced, with Brodziak adding size and strength to a line that needs it, and defensively the line would be solid with Kobasew and Brodziak defensively responsible, and Bouchard a good breakaway threat.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 08:44 PM
saywut

If we make a deal before the deadline, I'd assume James Sheppard would be the player moving.

At the deadline, if we're out of it then the pending UFAs could be moved. Those would be Brunette, Miettinen, Kobasew, and Madden. Kobasew makes the most sense to move, as Brunette/Miettinen could sign extensions.

If we're in the playoff hunt and we need to move a prospect to acquire a player, I'd expect that prospect to be Tyler Cuma.

saywut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 09:09 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

yeah, i really don't put as much weight on that playmaker-whatever combo stuff. I mean, ideally you'd want to match an excellent sniper with an excellent playmaker, and i can see the point in keeping them as-is, BUT we are not going to see a marked improvement in scoring. Deadly? hardly. they looked competent at times but I think you'd be hard pressed to convince the majority of fans in the league that that line had first-line competency. We need a change up there. Either that or give more minutes to a more productive line and cease with this koivu as a first line center stance.

rynryn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 09:33 PM
BigT2002

no one is picking up Shep or Harding I"m sorry guys. Shep is the hot chick you went to school with......but she has Herpes. No one wants to get the herps. Harding is like Uncle Rico. Really good and if we played him we might of "won state," but sadly the goalie market is still too saturated for anyone to pick him up short of going for a cup run in the hopes he can play better with a tighter defensive core (ala Philly type team).

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote