HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

BFD & Flat Bottom V Sharpenings

Old
08-17-2010, 07:04 PM
The Skate Truck

vCash: 500
BFD & Flat Bottom V Sharpenings

I am set up with the Blademaster BFD which currently offers x6 x7 and x8. How many of you have tried it, which cut do you prefer, what are your opinions, likes, dislikes, etc... How common is it in your area and what is the going rate for a flat bottom sharpening. I hear some guys are charging twice as much as a standard sharpening but i also hear the BFD holds an edge twice as long. Is there any truth to this? Flat Bottom sharpening is not common at all here in eastern Ma. Infact very few people have heard of it out here. The guy I bought the business from (out in MN) told me 90% of his skate sharpenings were BFD and only about 10% were standard ROH sharpenings. I hear a good percentage of the pros are using flat bottom. I think I'm going to sharpen my sons skates with the x7 without telling him. I'm really curious to see if he notices a differance or if he even mentions it to me at all. I would try it for myself but I dont skate! Yea I can hear you laughing!!!
Looking forward to hearing your opinions.
Frank

The Skate Truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 11:51 PM
jax00
DangleSnipe&Celly

You have to be a strong skater for it to be effective. Otherwise you'll be slipping and sliding on the ice.

jax00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2010, 06:04 AM
The Skate Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by jax00 View Post
You have to be a strong skater for it to be effective. Otherwise you'll be slipping and sliding on the ice.
Good to know. So far I havent heard anything negative other than it wasnt as fast as people thought it would be but they all said it had better grip and control.

Old
08-18-2010, 10:34 AM
SouthpawTRK

I would figure out what the going rates are in your area to determine a base line of what you want to charge. In my area there are only a small handful of places that are authorized for FBV. Most places charge a couple more bucks for the FBV over a standard ROH. I'd rather pay a bit more; whether it's for a FBV or ROH; to have it done right. I'm sure that there are plenty of members here that will go to some places for sharpening and totally avoid other places for sharpenings. I've tried both FBV and ROH and really liked them both. However, recently I went back to a ROH and seem to be keeping a better edge between sharpenings. Best of luck with your new business

SouthpawTRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2010, 10:37 AM
frito

I'm not a strong skater but I love it. I didn't notice a huge difference skating forward. The first time I really noticed it I was skating backwards, did a couple crossovers and then a backward glide. I felt like I was skating on butter while gliding. it was great. I highly recomend it. There is only shop here in Cincinanti that offers it and sadly they aren't open much of the summer so I've gone all summer without a sharpening. It's getting a bit hard to skate.

frito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2010, 10:40 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

A local shop here in Raleigh charges $8 for standard sharpening and $10 for Flatbottom V. The guy at the counter said about 3/4ths of his customers pay the extra $2 for the V cut.

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2010, 03:46 PM
The Skate Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthpawTRK View Post
I would figure out what the going rates are in your area to determine a base line of what you want to charge. In my area there are only a small handful of places that are authorized for FBV. Most places charge a couple more bucks for the FBV over a standard ROH. I'd rather pay a bit more; whether it's for a FBV or ROH; to have it done right. I'm sure that there are plenty of members here that will go to some places for sharpening and totally avoid other places for sharpenings. I've tried both FBV and ROH and really liked them both. However, recently I went back to a ROH and seem to be keeping a better edge between sharpenings. Best of luck with your new business
Thanks for the wishes, I actually had this exact post pulled from another hockey site and they actually issued me a warning. The guy accused me of spamming, soliciting and trying to promote my business. Not too happy with him right now. I thought these sites were designed for people to give and receive information.
Anyway no one around here even offers the BFD or flat bottom. I was thinking of charging $7 or $8 but when a kid comes in the door it's hard for me to take a dime from them. I think the parents are catching on, they stay in the car now!!! Hey, I'm not going to get rich doing this but I love helping out and seeing a smile on a kids face. People usually remember it.
Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frito View Post
I'm not a strong skater but I love it. I didn't notice a huge difference skating forward. The first time I really noticed it I was skating backwards, did a couple crossovers and then a backward glide. I felt like I was skating on butter while gliding. it was great. I highly recomend it. There is only shop here in Cincinanti that offers it and sadly they aren't open much of the summer so I've gone all summer without a sharpening. It's getting a bit hard to skate.
Thats good to hear that it does help in some way. Most of the reviews I have read were positive but some people were disapointed that it wasnt as fast as they expected but the control was much better.
Please keep the comments coming. I really want to know everyones opinions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
A local shop here in Raleigh charges $8 for standard sharpening and $10 for Flatbottom V. The guy at the counter said about 3/4ths of his customers pay the extra $2 for the V cut.
Ouch!!! $8 is crazy! There are few guys here doing it and the going rate is $5 or $6 for ROH. I have seen guys charge $8 for shates that are a complete mess. No one around here does the BFD as of yet but $10 is the figure I have been hearing. Not sure why so much just yet? I know the dresser and spinners cost around $1500 but that seems like a small investment to someone who paid $20k plus for a machine.

Old
08-18-2010, 04:05 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'm an intermediate skater and love the FBV at 100/50 or whatever the 1/2" equivalent is.

I used to skate at 11/16" (the sharpener guys loved me). I now get more glide and bite. I started with the 90/75 I think but I wanted a bit more bite on turns/stops, and the 100/50 gave me more bite AND glide.

I only get them sharpened every 4-6 weeks though, don't like them too sharp. I also get free sharpenings as I bought my skates from my LHS

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2010, 05:08 PM
jsykes

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Skate Truck View Post
Ouch!!! $8 is crazy! There are few guys here doing it and the going rate is $5 or $6 for ROH. I have seen guys charge $8 for shates that are a complete mess. No one around here does the BFD as of yet but $10 is the figure I have been hearing. Not sure why so much just yet? I know the dresser and spinners cost around $1500 but that seems like a small investment to someone who paid $20k plus for a machine.
Going rate around here is $8 for roh and $10-$12 for FBV. The big thing with FBV is the way its designed, it does go through wheels faster than normal roh from what I've heard, which would increase the cost of offering that service. Our shop does not do FBV but is looking into getting the Blademaster equal soon.

jsykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2010, 02:25 PM
The Skate Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsykes View Post
Going rate around here is $8 for roh and $10-$12 for FBV. The big thing with FBV is the way its designed, it does go through wheels faster than normal roh from what I've heard, which would increase the cost of offering that service. Our shop does not do FBV but is looking into getting the Blademaster equal soon.
Yes, I have noticed that is does burn through finishing wheels much quicker than the diamond dressing. I have the Blademaster version now. Not sure how long their rolls (spinners) are designed to last but they cost $125 each where Blackstones spinners are only around $60 each. Also they do offer a spinner system that will work with Blademaster machines. Cost is close to $2k. Thats a lot of sharpening to make that up. I think Blademasters system is $1500 with all 3 rolls (dressers) Do yourself a favor and get the MPFD magnetic table top unit and not the unit that attaches to the dressing arm. That is too bulky and heavy and is difficult to center on the stone.
This is the one you want.
http://www.blademaster.ca/pdfs/MPFD.pdf
You can use it on portables and other steel top machines.

Old
08-19-2010, 08:43 PM
jax00
DangleSnipe&Celly

When I say strong skater I mean more in power than in skill. If you weigh like 110 and never push off the ice that hard its not for you.

jax00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 08:44 AM
The Skate Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by jax00 View Post
When I say strong skater I mean more in power than in skill. If you weigh like 110 and never push off the ice that hard its not for you.
So it would be better for the heavier, power skater type.

This is all good information. I wish I could get information from my own personal experiance but unfortunately I dont/cant skate.

Old
08-20-2010, 08:49 AM
The Skate Truck

I attended the coaches meeting last night for the local youth hockey organization which has over 300 hockey famalies. I met with 16 coaches and gave each a free BFD sharpening using the X7 dresser. In turn they will pass their opinions onto me and their skaters. I can say that the edges do feel a lot sharper than the standard 1/2" cut.