HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nhl 11

Closed Thread

Old
08-18-2010, 12:29 AM
Turtleneck Plek
Real Life

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
you game for EASHL again? If i play, i want to truly be competitive.
Yeah definitely EASHL is what I plan on playing the most. Let me know if you start a team, I'll definitely be down.

Old
08-18-2010, 12:32 AM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtleneck Plek View Post
Yeah definitely EASHL is what I plan on playing the most. Let me know if you start a team, I'll definitely be down.
I'm going to try to get gary and bud and everyone back, might post a general invite in a friendly-ish team (like buffalo, islanders) forum and hold try-outs.

I got a high stick in one of my games and the first thing I thought was, 'Damn, gary is missing out'

Old
08-18-2010, 12:37 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Lost to the ****ing Flyers in the UHL tournament three times in a row. It was really frustrating - if I let them get 4 shots, they'd score on 2 and beat me 2-1. If I let them get 2, they'd score on 1 and win 1-0. Made me want to rip my hair out.

Not totally sold on the passing (it really put me off on my first go around), and everything's going to take some getting used to (as usual) but I'll be buying it on day one...again.

Old
08-18-2010, 12:38 AM
Turtleneck Plek
Real Life

Quote:
I'm going to try to get gary and bud and everyone back, might post a general invite in a friendly-ish team (like buffalo, islanders) forum and hold try-outs.

I got a high stick in one of my games and the first thing I thought was, 'Damn, gary is missing out'

Poor Gary. I hope we'll have the chance to see him get many more double-minors for high-sticking.

And while we're at it, WHOA. I just noticed how bad they screwed the spinoramas. It doesn't matter much but holy crap, they're completely different now.

Old
08-18-2010, 12:56 AM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Lost to the ****ing Flyers in the UHL tournament three times in a row. It was really frustrating - if I let them get 4 shots, they'd score on 2 and beat me 2-1. If I let them get 2, they'd score on 1 and win 1-0. Made me want to rip my hair out.

Not totally sold on the passing (it really put me off on my first go around), and everything's going to take some getting used to (as usual) but I'll be buying it on day one...again.
I recommend high short side slapshots when coming down the wing (say halfway between faceoff dot and hash marks, towards center of ice).

=)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtleneck Plek View Post

Poor Gary. I hope we'll have the chance to see him get many more double-minors for high-sticking.

And while we're at it, WHOA. I just noticed how bad they screwed the spinoramas. It doesn't matter much but holy crap, they're completely different now.
Yeah, but honestly, I seriously wonder if that was not a PK Subban addition to the game. They're not better from a dead stop, not as part of a rush. And to be fair, you usually see them only from slow speed/stop (see Subban), not at 100 miles an hour like old games.

I will miss the hook in, spin-o-rama, five-hole shootout move though!

Old
08-18-2010, 01:07 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
is chemistry only for the ultimate team bs? I got excited and thought they finally implemented something interesting for once.
There used to be chemistry in NHL series. I remember it very well. They just recycle their own ideas a lot of times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I don't get line chemistry in the ultimate league or wtv. I know playing with familiar players helps chemistry, but what do colors in the chemistry mean?
Anyone?

Old
08-18-2010, 01:17 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
is chemistry only for the ultimate team bs? I got excited and thought they finally implemented something interesting for once.
I'm pretty sure they had chemistry ratings if you go back a few years in the nhl series...

It would be kinda cool to control your own celebrations after a goal like you can in the FIFA series.

BTW - do they still only offer one commentary language in the nhl series?

Old
08-18-2010, 01:44 AM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
There used to be chemistry in NHL series. I remember it very well. They just recycle their own ideas a lot of times.

Anyone?
Wish I could help you, but chances are they confused me more than they confused you. I'm ****ing colorblind. It all looks the same!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
I'm pretty sure they had chemistry ratings if you go back a few years in the nhl series...

It would be kinda cool to control your own celebrations after a goal like you can in the FIFA series.

BTW - do they still only offer one commentary language in the nhl series?
And yeah, they used to have it at one point, if not in the NHL series, then the 2k series had it. The problem with the EA games is that there is little to no explanation on much of the finer details in the game. For example, in NHL 10, you'd be hard pressed to find something telling you how hitting a star player with a big hit can intimidate him and lower his stats, but it's in there!

And the old chemistry system I remember was pretty broken, IIRC.

And I agree that they completely nerfed the spinorama, holy balls is it slow. Or maybe P.K is the only one in the game who does it right

And I LOVE that short hop move you can do RB + left on RS (i believe). I don't think you could do it in NHL 10, but it was there in NHL 09 or NHL 08, can't remember.

Old
08-18-2010, 02:31 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
And yeah, they used to have it at one point, if not in the NHL series, then the 2k series had it. The problem with the EA games is that there is little to no explanation on much of the finer details in the game. For example, in NHL 10, you'd be hard pressed to find something telling you how hitting a star player with a big hit can intimidate him and lower his stats, but it's in there!

And the old chemistry system I remember was pretty broken, IIRC.
And I agree that they completely nerfed the spinorama, holy balls is it slow. Or maybe P.K is the only one in the game who does it right

And I LOVE that short hop move you can do RB + left on RS (i believe). I don't think you could do it in NHL 10, but it was there in NHL 09 or NHL 08, can't remember.
It was based on if you match players the line gets a bonus and everyone goes up X # of attributes. It worked but was cheesy and still kinda is but wtv.

Old
08-18-2010, 03:25 AM
habsfanwpg27*

I've spent the last hour setting up xbox, then finally got the demo downloading..then it froze and what happens when I restart my xbox. ****ing ring of ****ing death! for ****sakes.. frustrating lol.

Old
08-18-2010, 04:06 AM
TMLeafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stjonnypopo View Post
I got it an hour or two ago, it seems pretty decent. There's a little delay between when you push the pass button and when they let go of the pass, and it's kind of annoying. They make little differences every year and it usually takes a couple days to get used to it then it's fine, so I'm not worried.

I've been having fun with the manual hipcheck, I must nail the computer with it like 5 times a game.
Just like Sazz said, they changed the passing. Just tapping the button in NHL 10 sends a strong pass to your teammate. But NHL 11, tapping it sends a very soft pass, almost a flubbed pass. You need to hold it longer for a crisper, quicker pass. Still not sure how hard it is compared to a NHL 10 pass. I found it hard to get used to it, but I think it's a good change .

Overall, the game looks pretty good. Although this chemistry thing is annoying lol. I can't get good chemistry on my lines.

Also, they really need to work on cut scenes and presentation (arenas, Cup presentation, etc.)

The menus are so similar to NHL 10 too. (The calendar page etc)

Old
08-18-2010, 04:13 AM
MaKi

Quote:

Anyone?
There's a thing in the game that explains it in depth but I'll give you the 30 second rundown.

Green = good, Yellow = Meh, Red = Bad
As you would imagine lol

The 3 heads at the far right of each line combo tells you if the player types work together or not (i.e. Playmaker/Sniper/Power forward gets green I think, Tough guy/Tough Guy/Tough Guy gets red I would imagine)

The lines between the players are the chemistry they have between each other

The little dots are if the player is playing in the right position. From what I can tell C playing Center gets green, Winger playing Center gets Yellow, Dman playing Center gets red, and Goalie playing Center makes your system stop you from ever loading the game again.

Players from the same league will have yellow coloured chemistry, those from the same team and same league will have green. Red is for anything else I think.

Not sure how overalls play into chemistry. For example I don't know if having a 67 overall and a 94 overall from the same team would give green coloured chemistry.

Anyways demo feels awesome, I actually love the passing. A trick for anyone who wants to try it, hold down RT all the time. This way you are always ready to fire a crisp pass in a split second. You can do everything while holding RT and it won't change anything. You can stick handle, shoot, pin, etc. If you need to cancel the pass, which you would only need to do if you're finger got tired, is hit LB.

Also there's a glitch with the push puck while holding RT. Try it out yourself and you'll see, the term "He's got the puck on a string" comes to mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMLeafer View Post
Just like Sazz said, they changed the passing. Just tapping the button in NHL 10 sends a strong pass to your teammate. But NHL 11, tapping it sends a very soft pass, almost a flubbed pass. You need to hold it longer for a crisper, quicker pass. Still not sure how hard it is compared to a NHL 10 pass. I found it hard to get used to it, but I think it's a good change .
The passing is a lot better than it is in NHL 10, once you get used to it that is. A charged up pass in NHL 11 is almost the same strength as a medium strength slap pass. I mean I played defense all year in NHL 10 with a playmaker at 90-99 passing and it was still no where near as crisp as they are in the demo.

Old
08-18-2010, 04:48 AM
Taupy

Hum... I can't slash people anymore, have they got rid of it?

Old
08-18-2010, 04:59 AM
MaKi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Danielson View Post
Goon Alert!

I don't know if they took it out or if they just changed the button combo.

Old
08-18-2010, 07:46 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metropolitsky View Post
NHL 2004 is still the best game out there
NHL 94, Sega Genesis. And not just because the Habs were the best team on it.

Pure arcade hockey. The best player wins. Unlike all the editions on 32-bit+ platforms.

I played 04 on PC, and 2000 on PC, both were a lot better than the latter years, whether on platform or PC.

To think this will be the 20th edition of the game (if I remember correctly) I will play, just makes me feel a bit too old.

Old
08-18-2010, 07:50 AM
danyhabsfan

Should I buy a PS3, a XBOX360 or wait for a new console.

I only play sports games.

Madden, NBA, NHL, MLB....

Last edited by danyhabsfan: 08-18-2010 at 07:56 AM.
Old
08-18-2010, 07:58 AM
SeriousFan09

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMLeafer View Post
I think it's because manual passing has been locked to 'on' in the demo as the second I had it DLed I tried to tweak the settings but the game doesn't let you adjust anything.

Old
08-18-2010, 08:01 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by danyhabsfan View Post
Should I buy a PS3, a XBOX or wait for a new console.

I've had PSx, PS2, PS3 and X-Box and the only one that took less than a year to have problems with is... drumroll... Microsoft. They're a software company, don't buy hardware from them.

PS3 is fine for so many reasons. Yeah, I wish it had more RAM, and more HD space (it's irritating always having to connect my external HDs), still, it's one of the best media players you'll find, plays most of the universal formats (if you download a lot of torrents), blu-ray, DVDs, CDs, free online play (for sports, it's almost an essential), and a bunch of goodies to buy on the sony store, especially old games.

Old
08-18-2010, 08:23 AM
theboss*

I won't be buying nhl 11 I have 10, no point plus I'm too addicted to MW2 and RDR

Last edited by theboss*: 08-18-2010 at 08:50 AM.
Old
08-18-2010, 08:50 AM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
okay so after playing like 5-6 hours of the demo I've come up with this.

In the NHL 10, on Superstar mode I would dominate the game, skate circles around them, score 15-25 goals a game, and Superstar didn't feel so super anymore.

In NHL 11 it forces you to play more of a strategy, the AI is more polished, you can no longer get away with crisp passes right infront of their feet, you have to play smarter. The Goalies are frustrating once again. They can make beautiful save, after beautiful save, I had Ryan Miller and he robbed, T.Hall, M.Richards, Carter, and Getzlaf, made them look like fools. But other times if you have the right momentum, and are quick enough you can out deke the goalie much easier than before. One time I had T.Hall, I was bolting up the side did puck protect to cut to the middle, and i faked a shot, goalie completely bought it (I duno how), and Did a save and I skated around him with ease and tapped it in.

So the goalies can look amazing, but if your player is really good, and hes 1-1 with the goalie, like in real life, the odds are not in the Goalie's favor.

Old
08-18-2010, 08:57 AM
danyhabsfan

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
I've had PSx, PS2, PS3 and X-Box and the only one that took less than a year to have problems with is... drumroll... Microsoft. They're a software company, don't buy hardware from them.

PS3 is fine for so many reasons. Yeah, I wish it had more RAM, and more HD space (it's irritating always having to connect my external HDs), still, it's one of the best media players you'll find, plays most of the universal formats (if you download a lot of torrents), blu-ray, DVDs, CDs, free online play (for sports, it's almost an essential), and a bunch of goodies to buy on the sony store, especially old games.
so PS3 ?

Old
08-18-2010, 09:03 AM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Danielson View Post
It's no longer explicit. If you try and lift a stick, sometimes if you're too far away, your guy hooks instead, or sometimes you miss and slash him.

Quote:

I'd say the new 360 Slim. PS3 is a more reliable console, but the Xbox 360 controller is infinitely better for playing sports games. And Microsoft is pretty good about fixing the things when they do break. From what I know, the latest Xbox doesn't have nearly the problems the old one does.

The Xbox is also cheaper.

The games themselves are virtually identical across both platforms.

The ONE reason I'd consider PS3 is if you're a huge baseball fan. The games are identical save baseball. The best baseball game is a PS3 exclusive.

Old
08-18-2010, 09:03 AM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

Awards:
Game is absolutely sick.

Graphics are amazing, game-play is very fluid and realistic and the EAUHL mode is a lot of fun. As my goalie tandem in the demo, I got Miller and Luongo, with Rask as my third. My first line is Zetterberg-Turris-Cleary and my first defensive pairing is Seidenberg-Chara.

Played the first tournament and dropped a 1-0 decision to team Canada. I'm going to re-try again when I finish work. And for sure... I'll be buying this game when it comes out.

Old
08-18-2010, 09:06 AM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
Game is absolutely sick.

Graphics are amazing, game-play is very fluid and realistic and the EAUHL mode is a lot of fun. As my goalie tandem in the demo, I got Miller and Luongo, with Rask as my third. My first line is Zetterberg-Turris-Cleary and my first defensive pairing is Seidenberg-Chara.

Played the first tournament and dropped a 1-0 decision to team Canada. I'm going to re-try again when I finish work. And for sure... I'll be buying this game when it comes out.
My first EAUHL team got me: Markov and Subban.

It was awesome

Old
08-18-2010, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post

I played two games on Battle for the Cup and then went for Ultime team. It was a blast, I managed to go through all the teams in one shot. Don't forget to apply your training cards, it will be boost your players big time.

I did get one heck of a team though, Zetterberg, Backstrom, Tavares, Perry, Okposo, Grachev, Eberle and Quinton Howden who seemed to score everytime he touched the puck! I also had Keith, Del Zotto, Myers and Luongo in goal.

Just talking about UT makes me want to start another tournament.

This game is gonna eat so much of my time.

Closed Thread