HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Jersey & Logo Talk (Green To Stay Confirmed!)

Closed Thread

Old
08-17-2010, 07:08 PM
tjcurrie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
No offense, but my impression of the ones you posted were that they belonged in Cedar Park. They don't have a 'big league' feel to them to me.

I can see why someone would be hesitant on the 'new' green tones of the jerseys piqued put together, but IMO that is precisely where they succeed. That green would absolutely pop on the ice. The dark green of those you posted and of past Stars jerseys almost look black from any distance.

Go bold or don't bother.

Thanks for the feedback. Im trying to find someone as we speak to redo the green on my jerseys. I wanna get 2 versions. One with the North Stars green and the gold, and one with the North Stars green with the gold changed to the old yellow. I have no clue on how to use photoshop myself.

Old
08-17-2010, 08:42 PM
jacksongs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjcurrie View Post
I like the one above. Dark green is mean - never had anything else in Dallas. Forest green is wussy (but great for a third!).

Quick 5 min job on the other designs (sorry to the original designer for messing with his stuff)... The alternate is pretty similar to that other posted design. The all green one is too much North Stars.

kelly green 2.jpg

kelly green.jpg

Old
08-17-2010, 08:47 PM
irunthepeg
THE ONE WHO KNOCKS

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued1457 View Post
I might as well use this opportunity to share a concept I recently finished.

There were 2 main goals for this 3rd jersey that I sense are shared by the majority of Stars fans:

Bring back the green
...but not just any green. Personally I love the old North Stars shade of lighter green. In any discussion about the best NHL jerseys of all-time the North Stars are frequently mentioned by fans all around the league. You see a ton of people sporting them at any given game in the AAC. Now of course for a number of reasons it would be inappropriate to simply wear those particular sweaters again, but there's no reason why the team can't bring back the glorious primary color that defined them. Furthermore, it's completely unique and would be instantly identifiable as the Stars whether in person or on TV, much like the Flyers' orange is now, for example. Dark green is nice, and as you'll see I've kept it around, but the Stars have kind of been beaten to the punch by their younger cousins in Minnesota with their new baseball-script 3rds. Drab stuff is out, bold colors are in, and this fits the bill.

Bring back the logo(s)
We have a simple, elegant, timeless logo that already identifies the city and the team perfectly well. The DALLAS wordmark was an interesting idea and has proven to be a bit of a trendsetter, but in the end doesn't really belong on a professional hockey jersey and bores me more and more every time I see it. The state of Texas shoulder patch is also generally well-liked I think and is in danger of being marginalized completely with the recent changes.

So that resulted in this:

The darker, or "Dallas" green still shows up in the sleeve striping, collar detail, hem, and in the logos obviously.

The black ends of the sleeves are meant to evoke the much-loved Star pattern jerseys introduced in '99. They also serve to balance the jersey with the team's black pants.

The white shoulder yoke and bottom stripe recall the simplicity of the late 60s/early 70s Minnesota designs.

The front numbers I could take or leave personally, but are included for continuity with the current set now in use.

This also optimistically assumes that Richards re-signs.

Feedback appreciated as always!
Wow, I looked at all of the ones you posted and this one is my favourite, but they're all awesome.

Great work, hopefully someone from Stars management comes on here and sees these.

Old
08-17-2010, 08:49 PM
tjcurrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksongs View Post
I like the one above. Dark green is mean - never had anything else in Dallas. Forest green is wussy (but great for a third!).

Quick 5 min job on the other designs (sorry to the original designer for messing with his stuff)... The alternate is pretty similar to that other posted design. The all green one is too much North Stars.

Attachment 41134

Attachment 41135
Hey thanks for the efforts man. I think a little darker would be better. I have some people trying to get it done for me. I really like the concept of the originals I posted and they got lots of positive feedback on other boards and on my Facebook. But I want to see them in the exact green that the North Stars wore and maybe try the old yellow with em too.

People like the retro look and I do think these give that feel and they stay true to Dallas aswell I think. But Im all for altering here and there to see what we can come up with. Definitely need something like that rather than what we've got goin on now. Atleast for a 3rd.

Old
08-17-2010, 09:12 PM
tjcurrie

What about helmets ? I say green just like the North Stars with that star on em they use to have.

Had someone do this white one up so far. I still have a couple people that are working on it for me. These are kinda cool and are more vibrant than the originals. Not 100% yet on the green but its maybe closer to what everyone's looking for. Im wondering if some black striping would fit in anywhere aswell or if its better left as is ?

I wanted the pants to be done up with the 3 stars down the side aswell. Ahwell its free help. But Ill see what my other phto wizzes come up with for me.

Last edited by tjcurrie: 08-18-2010 at 01:10 AM.
Old
08-18-2010, 01:35 AM
Ampersand
Dallas Stars Fan

yeah the black pants don't really work with that jersey,
I like the layout though.

Old
08-18-2010, 01:56 AM
tjcurrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ampersand View Post
yeah the black pants don't really work with that jersey,
I like the layout though.
I wonder if the pants would work better with the 3 stars down the side ? The North Stars had em like that. But when they had black pants they also had black striping and highlights on the jersey. Wonder if thats what it takes to make the black pants work ? I think theyd go well once the entire uni was together and the 3 stars were down the side, but Id like to see maybe abit of black added to see what that looks like.

Maybe black at the end of the sleeves and add a black stripe near the bottom of the jersey and make the very bottom white rather than green ?

Last edited by tjcurrie: 08-18-2010 at 09:28 AM.
Old
08-18-2010, 10:05 AM
tjcurrie

Gonna have to excuse me for the crappy editing job here. I took the initiative and did some work just using Microsoft Paint. I did what I could.

Old
08-18-2010, 11:00 AM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjcurrie View Post
Gonna have to excuse me for the crappy editing job here. I took the initiative and did some work just using Microsoft Paint. I did what I could.

id buy that one too

Old
08-18-2010, 11:09 AM
tjcurrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by txomisc View Post
id buy that one too
Thanks. Ya I like it too. I htink it still needs a little work though. Thegreen could maybe stand to be a little darker. And Im also wondering about the green on the shoulder wether that belongs there now with the black on the ends of the sleeves. Or if the black on the ends of the sleeves should be cut short aswell into just a stripe and have the ends white to be a little cleaner.

Old
11-04-2010, 02:26 PM
________

Send a message via AIM to ________ Send a message via MSN to ________
Heika says there could be a green third jersey with a old school look.

Last edited by ________: 11-06-2010 at 12:56 PM.
Old
11-04-2010, 02:37 PM
Chad_

That is not what Heika wrote. Heika wrote the Stars are "pondering" and "studying" a "green third jersey" for next year and "the early word is that it will be green and it will have an old school NHL look."

In other words, nothing is decided.

Old
11-04-2010, 02:47 PM
________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad_ View Post
That is not what Heika wrote. Heika wrote the Stars are "pondering" and "studying" a "green third jersey" for next year and "the early word is that it will be green and it will have an old school NHL look."

In other words, nothing is decided.

Heika wrote last month there was no plans for a third jersey at all, despite the head of marketing going over third jersey concepts in July. (All of which were on green jerseys, which he didn't write there, but it was known officially at that time.)

One month later about Heika writes this story, though it's not a surprise since Heika only knows info he gets from the Stars PR and they're not going to give him the entire scoop on things. Especially on a jersey since they'll want to reveal it on a certain date next year.

Old
11-04-2010, 03:06 PM
MB94
@MBFarina94

Did he say if we do plan on getting a third jersey the Stars will have to present it to the league? Does that mean we will see it too?

Old
11-04-2010, 03:11 PM
________

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarsFanInCanada View Post
Did he say if we do plan on getting a third jersey the Stars will have to present it to the league? Does that mean we will see it too?
The Stars will have to present it to the league by the end of this year, but teams wait until a certain date to show people the jersey. Usually it's right before the next season starts. So that would be like August or September of 2011. Unless they decide to do things differently.

Old
11-04-2010, 03:12 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

vCash: 1495
Quote:
That is not what Heika wrote.
Heika just wrote an article about Daley progressing....

That about says it all in terms of trusting Heika with anything.

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Old
11-04-2010, 03:13 PM
Chad_

Quote:
Originally Posted by ________ View Post
. . . though it's not a surprise since Heika only knows info he gets from the Stars PR and they're not going to give him the entire scoop on things.
That's all fine and good, but just don't jump the gun. The only thing Heika is reporting now is that the Stars are looking at the possibility of a new, green third jersey. It's likely the Stars will go ahead and do it, but the only thing we know through Heika is the Stars are merely thinking about it.

Yes, StarsFanInCanada, Heika did write the Stars would have to present it to the league by the end of December for use next year, if they decide to do something and if they decide they want whatever third jersey concept they come up with for next year. This is Heika's exact wording:

Old
11-04-2010, 09:16 PM
Dragon of Dallas

Wish list

I just wish the Stars front office types would pay attention. Piqued1457 has come up with some great designs, all three of which would improve sales of jersey's in DFW as well as elsewhere, while giving the product on the ice a better look. Sadly, as has been previously stated, the mooterus jersey is an indication that the front office is slightly disconnected from the fans. We can only hope that recent changes improve this.

Old
11-06-2010, 01:41 AM
________

Quote:
That's all fine and good, but just don't jump the gun. The only thing Heika is reporting now is that the Stars are looking at the possibility of a new, green third jersey. It's likely the Stars will go ahead and do it, but the only thing we know through Heika is the Stars are merely thinking about it.
They're way further ahead on this process then what Heika is saying. Not to mention how badly he has botched this already, by saying they weren't working on a jersey last month and now they are, when this process started in the summer.

It's also a good idea for them to keep most of it secret, as they want to unveil the jersey.

Last edited by ________: 11-06-2010 at 02:01 AM.
Old
11-06-2010, 09:41 AM
Chad_

Again, that's all fine if you want to go ahead and make that claim, but you wrote earlier "Heika says there will be a green third jersey next year" and that simply is not true. That is not what Heika wrote or has reported.

Old
11-06-2010, 01:24 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
go

vCash: 27750
Warning: long post. (but there are pictures!)

After hearing the new update and seeing this thread again I decided to make another concept just for fun.

Now my previous ones made a conscious effort to eschew black and go for that old-school look that apparently the Stars are after as well. But there's nothing inherent wrong with black -- it just needs to be used for a purpose. "Because it looks intimidating" is not a good reason. I continue to refuse to believe anyone has ever been intimidated by fabric.

Now here comes something close to sacrilege: The people behind the Mooterus were actually on the right track!
Their concept was sound, it's just that their execution was.... unfortunate (to say the least).

What would a jersey look like that was unapologetically modern and picked up on the idea of the constellations? What if it tied into the history of the franchise and the city it plays in, rather than a recycled stereotype conceived from a thousand miles away?

The following were some of my influences:

Still with me, or have you recoiled in horror yet?

2 of those 3 are bad, bad uniforms, there's no doubt about that. But they do have some interesting elements:

- the concept of a horizon along the hem of the Phoenix jersey
- the (extremely) stylized skyline of Denver
- the Swedish hockey federation patch on the left breast, much akin to a soccer-style design

And then this:

Confused? Well first of all, yes, that's a toddler sized jersey. That's not the point. For whatever reason the sublimated graphics that Nike included on their recent Olympic sweaters show up better in this. You can see them running down the sleeves. To the naked eye they were very difficult to pick up from a distance and on TV, yet they were still there.

That got me thinking: what if you could embed a "secret" pattern into a jersey through modern printing techniques?

Alternate jerseys are pretty much always worn at home. They're intended for the home crowd. Why not use that to your advantage?

You know how many arenas have spotlights they immediately shine on their players after a goal is scored? Well what if there was a special kind of light that could be directed on the players at certain times, that would also have the effect of picking up a hidden pattern on their jerseys?

So 99% of the time, you could have a jersey that looked like this to those in attendance and at home:

And then when Ribeiro sends a beautiful cross-ice pass to a wide open Morrow who puts it home and the horn goes off and the lights come on and the fans cheer... you would have this:

The stars are revealed. Reunion tower lights up!

Now, why those constellations? I decided to find out exactly what the night sky looks like in early October, at this latitude, at around 7:30 in the evening. In other words, opening night of hockey season.

And which direction would we face for the front of the jersey? North, of course. Polaris, the North Star, is the one right there front and center (in the classic Stars shape, rather than a circle like the others) directly above the Bank of America Plaza building, which is probably Dallas' most recognizable building with its bright green argon outlining which can be seen from miles and miles away. On the far right along the hem is the I.M. Pei designed Fountain Place, the optical illusion skyscraper. Their orientation corresponds to how the 3 buildings would appear viewed from the south going from left to right. I feel they represent Dallas pretty well. If you squint, you can even imagine the buildings representing an arrow pointing up to the North Star like Minnesota's old crest. I almost included the currently under-construction Margaret Hunt Hill bridge and even completed the illustration for it, but I figured it might be confusing to people outside of the city and they might mistake the arch for St. Louis or something.

The other relevant constellations are Pegasus, the real symbol of Dallas, splayed out along the left sleeve (to your right looking at it) and Hercules, the symbol of strength, on the opposite sleeve. The position of Vega, one of the brightest stars in the northern sky, also coincided perfectly with the star inside the circular Texas patch which I lifted from my previous dark green 3rd jersey concept and used in the same fashion as the Team Sweden shirts so there could still be a logo on the front even when it isn't "lit up".

Then on the backs of these you've got the southern sky since you're facing the other direction. I also shamelessly ripped off the Flyers-style solid color nameplates since I find them pretty cool and it gave me a way to show the constellation outlines through the player's name.

I scanned in an adjustable star chart I used as a reference so you can see which constellation is which and that things are generally astronomically accurate. I tried to keep the magnitudes more or less correct as well for the individual sizes of the stars.

The best part? No Taurus to be found. (it doesn't rise until the early morning hours)

Northern sky (front of jersey)

Southern sky (back of jersey)

And then just for the sake of completing the suite I'm going to post all 4 in succession... since this post is already absurdly long.

edit: Whoops, almost forgot to add that my biggest influence were those awesome stencil-on painted stars that I had on my bedroom ceiling as a kid. They'd absorb light during the day and then glow in the dark at night. So cool. Or nerdy. Either one.

Last edited by piqued: 11-06-2010 at 01:39 PM.
Old
11-06-2010, 01:28 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

vCash: 1495
That would pretty cool idea, honestly. And at least it would be wayyyyy original, which is more than we can say about the three jerseys we have now.

The only problem I have with it is the gold and white at the bottom.

Old
11-06-2010, 02:14 PM
hairylikebear
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

The Stars would get shut out in the inauguration of that jersey.

Old
11-06-2010, 04:17 PM
Ampersand
Dallas Stars Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairylikebear View Post
The Stars would get shut out in the inauguration of that jersey.
lol Too true

Old
11-06-2010, 04:43 PM
Brand New Stars

I actually really like that.

Closed Thread