HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The AHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The AHL Discuss the American Hockey League; its players, teams, and games.

Spezza named AHL MVP

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-15-2005, 10:31 PM
  #26
Lundmark17
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 423
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnThGrt
I think this is bs to Camms should of won it and easilly - Camms plays against 6 of the top 10 golies in his conference and puts up the same pts his team is half injured and he has carried them has the better other stats..... This is retarted i think Spezza did not deserve award (And i saw both them play several times)
What is ******** is your spelling of the word. Sorry to be a punk, but I had too. Plus I think Spezza deserved the award.

Lundmark17 is offline  
Old
04-15-2005, 10:33 PM
  #27
Eric
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Van
Posts: 649
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by danaluvsthekings
Congrats to Spezza, he had a great year and I don't want this to sound like sour grapes because Spezza is a deserving winner. One question though. Why do they vote on MVP (and all the awards that matter) before the season is over? Cammalleri still has an outside shot at 50 goals and to tie or pass Spezza for the scoring title. It's a small shot but he still has the chance to do it. Because if Cammalleri did pull it off I'd think he'd be deserving of the MVP. I just thought it funny that they do the voting and announce the all the awards before the season is over because if someone who played very consistently all season really comes on strong at the end of the season with a dominating performance the AHL has already voted on their awards. I'm guessing they did the voting for these awards 3-4 weeks ago.
I was wondering about that as well. The NFL does the same thing... You'd think that they would pay more attention to the performance of players down the stretch.

Eric is offline  
Old
04-15-2005, 10:59 PM
  #28
SENSible1*
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,543
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric
I was wondering about that as well. The NFL does the same thing... You'd think that they would pay more attention to the performance of players down the stretch.
I'm not sure if you are making this comment in general regarding the awards or are trying to suggest that Spezza is undeserving because of his performance down the stretch.

In case anyone is under the misapprehension that taking the vote before the end of the season has made one iota of difference to the outcome, please consider the following facts.

Spezza has now put up points in every game since Mar. 05. During this 19 game streak, Jason has accumulated 35 points.

SENSible1* is offline  
Old
04-15-2005, 11:05 PM
  #29
Bileur
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,113
vCash: 500
Good for him. Sour grapes all around this thread though.

Bileur is offline  
Old
04-15-2005, 11:14 PM
  #30
HF2002
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,839
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that those who voted ....
...were both media and players. Spezza was voted as MVP by his peers, which is more meaningful than just by a group of no talent glorified back seat drivers.

HF2002 is offline  
Old
04-16-2005, 12:46 AM
  #31
David A. Rainer
Registered User
 
David A. Rainer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Huntington Beach
Country: Italy
Posts: 7,293
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to David A. Rainer
Quote:
Originally Posted by HF2002
...were both media and players. Spezza was voted as MVP by his peers, which is more meaningful than just by a group of no talent glorified back seat drivers.
Hey! I resemble that remark.

__________________
Saxon Sports Information and Research
David A. Rainer is offline  
Old
04-16-2005, 01:41 AM
  #32
Reaper45
Registered User
 
Reaper45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: South Bay
Country: United States
Posts: 31,494
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bileur
Good for him. Sour grapes all around this thread though.
Of course there is. If Spezza had lost, Sens fans would have been the same way. It's only normal.

Reaper45 is offline  
Old
04-16-2005, 02:22 AM
  #33
danaluvsthekings
Registered User
 
danaluvsthekings's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 4,229
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderstruck
I'm not sure if you are making this comment in general regarding the awards or are trying to suggest that Spezza is undeserving because of his performance down the stretch.

In case anyone is under the misapprehension that taking the vote before the end of the season has made one iota of difference to the outcome, please consider the following facts.

Spezza has now put up points in every game since Mar. 05. During this 19 game streak, Jason has accumulated 35 points.
No I wasn't trying to take anything away from Spezza's play down the stretch but I was just saying that for both players in this case that holding the vote with about a month left in the season does not leave time for changes that could occur in the final month. Obviously after tonight's game Cammalleri is not likely to get 50 goals or going to catch Spezza for the scoring title, but he still had the outside chance. Or say the situation was reversed and Cammalleri had been the leading candidate when the vote was taken and Spezza had 35 points in the final 20 games and really played well down the stretch but because the vote was taken in early March, Spezza's hot finish wouldn't have mattered because the vote was taken so early. A lot can happen if you vote with a month left in the season. This is with all the awards, not just this one. Say Ryan Miller got hurt a month ago, does he still win goalie of the year if you're voting at the end of the regular season?

I didn't want to make this sound like sour grapes or Kings fans vs Sens fans. Both players have had great seasons and both were deserving of the award and like someone said, 10 years from now no one will remember who won the AHL MVP in 2005. I was just trying to point out that when you hold the voting for awards with so much time left in the season there's the chance that someone could have a solid season and then a great stretch and then that player is not rewarded or you could have injuries or a player going into a huge slump or some other situation where the voting could have changed if you voted at the completion of the regular season opposed to with 3 or 4 weeks left. I have no problem admitting Spezza had one of the best AHL seasons in a long time and he's a very deserving MVP. I was just pointing out what could be a major flaw in the voting system.

danaluvsthekings is offline  
Old
04-16-2005, 03:10 AM
  #34
Spezza
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Ottawa <-> Scotland
Country: Scotland
Posts: 2,560
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzkriegs
And are you basing that on the fact that he was named the AHL MVP?

Looking at the previous winners of the AHL MVP award, it's been 20+ years since the winner actually made an IMPACT in the NHL.

He's a developing player with a lot of potential, but to infer that AHL MVP = NHL points leader is a little far fetched.
In fairness this is a rather special set of circumstances. With the lockout and all I think nearly everyone on their first contract was in the AHL this year. I think it's fair to say there is a different standard of competition to last year. The sad thing is that both Cammy, Spezza and a host of others should have been in the NHL this year. By the by, both have quite clearly met and probably exceded their expectations on the year.

Spezza is offline  
Old
04-16-2005, 03:17 AM
  #35
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User
 
Frolov 6'3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The Netherlands
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 9,197
vCash: 500
Finally some input from Spezza himself. Congrats Jason.

Frolov 6'3 is offline  
Old
04-16-2005, 12:46 PM
  #36
HF2002
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,839
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A. Rainer
Hey! I resemble that remark.
Sorry.. I re-read that and I understand your objection.

I didn't mean "no talent" with regards to being a journalist. I meant it with respect to being an athlete (or more accurately, not an athlete) and being quite critical/judgemental. I'd rather win the respect of the players than the media.

While it is their job, I've always found it to be somewhat funny when a columnist/media member is very critical of players or coaches, or has the answer for what needs to be done with a player or team. Hey, if it's as easy as you say it is, why aren't you playing, or why aren't you a coach? I don't want to paint everyone with the same brush either. Not everyone is the back seat driver.

HF2002 is offline  
Old
04-16-2005, 03:59 PM
  #37
FlyersFan10*
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,349
vCash: 500
I don't understand why Cammalleri fans are upset. While I can understand that Cammalleri has had a great season, fact of the matter is that Spezza is the younger of the two players (even if it's only a couple of years) and his play has been nothing short of brilliant. Instead of complaining, as hockey fans, we should be excited about what the future of the game has to offer. Spezza, Cammalleri, Parise, Bourque, Lehtonen, Pitkanen, Bouwmeester, Weiss, Umberger, Kesler, etc.....it's not looking too bad.

FlyersFan10* is offline  
Old
04-16-2005, 04:31 PM
  #38
AnThGrt
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newport Beach
Country: Germany
Posts: 3,724
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to AnThGrt
You're right but just as a Kings fan we havent had anything to cheer for quite sometime now. We have barelly ever won anything and we started out so good this year then our injury plague transitioned over to the Narchs and we started losing but Camms then stepped up and carried the whole team and it would of just been cool to have someone by us win something...... (Seeing we wont win anything anytime soon except Frolov maybe)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan10
I don't understand why Cammalleri fans are upset. While I can understand that Cammalleri has had a great season, fact of the matter is that Spezza is the younger of the two players (even if it's only a couple of years) and his play has been nothing short of brilliant. Instead of complaining, as hockey fans, we should be excited about what the future of the game has to offer. Spezza, Cammalleri, Parise, Bourque, Lehtonen, Pitkanen, Bouwmeester, Weiss, Umberger, Kesler, etc.....it's not looking too bad.

AnThGrt is offline  
Old
04-16-2005, 04:41 PM
  #39
FlyersFan10*
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,349
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnThGrt
You're right but just as a Kings fan we havent had anything to cheer for quite sometime now. We have barelly ever won anything and we started out so good this year then our injury plague transitioned over to the Narchs and we started losing but Camms then stepped up and carried the whole team and it would of just been cool to have someone by us win something...... (Seeing we wont win anything anytime soon except Frolov maybe)
I have to admit, I have a soft spot in my heart for the LA Kings. However, I have a big problem with Dave Taylor as GM. Granted, he did rebuild and restock the prospects and farm system, fact of the matter is that he did let go of veterans who could still perform. I take a look at the Ziggy Palffy thing and think what a mess. A man who has performed so well for the Kings, yet they reward his performance by sending him on his way. They did the same thing with Robitaille as well. A man who finished fifth in the league in scoring, and then only said that he was worth 2 million a season and Luc ends up signing in Detroit.

FlyersFan10* is offline  
Old
04-16-2005, 05:02 PM
  #40
Reaper45
Registered User
 
Reaper45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: South Bay
Country: United States
Posts: 31,494
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan10
I have to admit, I have a soft spot in my heart for the LA Kings. However, I have a big problem with Dave Taylor as GM. Granted, he did rebuild and restock the prospects and farm system, fact of the matter is that he did let go of veterans who could still perform. I take a look at the Ziggy Palffy thing and think what a mess. A man who has performed so well for the Kings, yet they reward his performance by sending him on his way. They did the same thing with Robitaille as well. A man who finished fifth in the league in scoring, and then only said that he was worth 2 million a season and Luc ends up signing in Detroit.
Dave Taylor has rebuilt this franchise wonderfully so far imo. Before him, we had no farm system, and no blue chip prospects to speak of, and the ones that we had all were dealt away, Darryl Sydor, Alex Zhitnik....The letting go of Luc was a huge huge mistake, but I'm curious as to what other vets who could still perform he let go? The letting go of Ziggy was a must. Let me preface this by saying that I am a huge Ziggy Palffy fan, I have been a fan of his since his time on the Isle, but Palffy's agent is what I ultimately think led him to not be resigned by the Kings. He wanted 7 million a season over 4 seasons going into the lockout, and with the uncertain times ahead I believe the Kings offered 6 million over 3 years. Him and his agent decided this wan't good enough so they split town. Ziggy didn't get any other offers, and came back to the Kings wanting to take the 6 mil for 3 years which the Kings had removed from the table. That's an insane offer especially when the NHL is heading towards a cap.

Reaper45 is offline  
Old
04-16-2005, 05:43 PM
  #41
David A. Rainer
Registered User
 
David A. Rainer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Huntington Beach
Country: Italy
Posts: 7,293
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to David A. Rainer
Quote:
Originally Posted by HF2002
Sorry.. I re-read that and I understand your objection.

I didn't mean "no talent" with regards to being a journalist. I meant it with respect to being an athlete (or more accurately, not an athlete) and being quite critical/judgemental. I'd rather win the respect of the players than the media.

While it is their job, I've always found it to be somewhat funny when a columnist/media member is very critical of players or coaches, or has the answer for what needs to be done with a player or team. Hey, if it's as easy as you say it is, why aren't you playing, or why aren't you a coach? I don't want to paint everyone with the same brush either. Not everyone is the back seat driver.
Don't sweat it. I was just joking around.

David A. Rainer is offline  
Old
04-16-2005, 06:19 PM
  #42
Sticky*
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 485
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jargin
Sad thing is you're serious.

Sad thing is that guys spelling.

Sticky* is offline  
Old
04-16-2005, 07:37 PM
  #43
danaluvsthekings
Registered User
 
danaluvsthekings's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 4,229
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45
Dave Taylor has rebuilt this franchise wonderfully so far imo. Before him, we had no farm system, and no blue chip prospects to speak of, and the ones that we had all were dealt away, Darryl Sydor, Alex Zhitnik....The letting go of Luc was a huge huge mistake, but I'm curious as to what other vets who could still perform he let go? The letting go of Ziggy was a must. Let me preface this by saying that I am a huge Ziggy Palffy fan, I have been a fan of his since his time on the Isle, but Palffy's agent is what I ultimately think led him to not be resigned by the Kings. He wanted 7 million a season over 4 seasons going into the lockout, and with the uncertain times ahead I believe the Kings offered 6 million over 3 years. Him and his agent decided this wan't good enough so they split town. Ziggy didn't get any other offers, and came back to the Kings wanting to take the 6 mil for 3 years which the Kings had removed from the table. That's an insane offer especially when the NHL is heading towards a cap.

I think the Kings offer to Palffy was $19.5 mil over three years, or $6.5 mil per but either way, it was a fair offer. Ziggy figured he'd get more money as a free agent last summer even though the league was heading towards a salary cap/luxury tax situation. Ziggy and his agent miscalculated and then figured LA's original offer would still be on the table. I don't blame LA for pulling the offer from the table either once they realized no one else was offering Palffy that money either. They had made him a fair offer to begin with considering the uncertainty and weren't going to overpay once they saw what the market was. Taylor doesn't deserve the blame for Palffy's agent being greedy. I think once the new CBA is signed Ziggy's going to be kicking himself he didn't take that $19.5 mil LA offered and depending on what the cap level is LA will be very glad he didn't take it.

danaluvsthekings is offline  
Old
04-16-2005, 09:52 PM
  #44
SENSible1*
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,543
vCash: 500
Spezza's winning the award in no way diminishes the fantastic season Cammalleri has had for the Monarchs.

SENSible1* is offline  
Old
04-16-2005, 10:50 PM
  #45
bruins4777*
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,282
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderstruck
Spezza's winning the award in no way diminishes the fantastic season Cammalleri has had for the Monarchs.
One of the most levelheaded posts in this thread.

The thing about this stat argument of cammaleri over spezza is that...well one spezza did something cammaleri couldn't do. He made lesser players around him better, which in effect made his team better. Cammaleri just kind of lit everybody up all on his own. While that is hella entertaining to watch and awful impressive in its own right its not as impressive as spezza's. The team will always want the guy who makes everybody around him better rather than the individual talent who dominates on his own.

Once again no way is this trying to diminish what cammaleri has done. But its simple fact that spezza made everybody around him better, and one could make the case he even made certain players with him. The same cannot be said of cammaleri. He may have helped out players with him, but has not made them outstandingly better in any form.

bruins4777* is offline  
Old
04-17-2005, 07:58 AM
  #46
Spezza
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Ottawa <-> Scotland
Country: Scotland
Posts: 2,560
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frolov 6'3
Finally some input from Spezza himself. Congrats Jason.
Thanks man, how's your season been?

Spezza is offline  
Old
04-17-2005, 08:07 AM
  #47
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User
 
Frolov 6'3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The Netherlands
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 9,197
vCash: 500
I can't complain.

Frolov 6'3 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:54 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.