HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

"Tampa was a huge mess" -Karri Rämö

Old
08-18-2010, 12:39 PM
Jee
@DeuxiemeJumeau

vCash: 500
"Tampa was a huge mess" -Karri Rämö

http://www.radio-canada.ca/sports/ho...abs-ramo.shtml

from JF Chaumont

Google Translator

Karri Ramo took a long detour in his career. A detour that took him to 2,700 kilometers east of Moscow, Omsk.

Ramo did not intend to return to North America this season. Month short term.

The new acquisition of the Canadian and Pierre Gauthier will honor the final year of his two-year deal with Avangard Omsk, Jaromir Jagr's team in the Russian Continental League.

His exile did not last forever, however.

"My goal is always to play in the NHL," Ramo said in an interview from Russia with CBC Sports. I never changed my mind, this is my dream to establish myself in the NHL for several seasons. "

For the 2011-2012 season, Ramo he thinks the role of assistant to Carey Price with the CH?

"I do not want to think about it too," said Finnish goalkeeper wisely 24. For the moment I'm concentrating on my season in Omsk. At the end of my contract in Russia, I think about my future. The best scenario would possibly come to Montreal and to fight for a position. "

"If I come back in the NHL, I want to play," added former Tampa Bay Lightning. I do not ask the position of number one, but I would not want to settle for a role as number two. It's human nature, you want to play as possible and you want to fight for your ice time. "

Ramo, who has played 48 games in three seasons in Tampa, had good words for his new organization.

"I don a Canadian jersey, it would be a very nice honor. It has a rich history with this team. When I played at the Bell Centre, I have always found the atmosphere unreal. There is no better seats for hockey. "

Since the transaction with Cedrick Desjardins, Ramo said he had not yet spoken personally to one of the leaders of the Habs.

A necessary starting

Beyond the financial attractiveness of Russia, Ramo has made clear his decision to leave Tampa Bay last season.

"If I had decided to stay in Tampa, I do not know how I could get starts in the NHL. The conditions were not good with the Lightning. It was total mess with the owners and we do not know what to expect from the team. "

"When I looked at my options last year, Omsk was the best choice," said Ramo. There are so many good players in the KHL and I have the opportunity to train with a guy like Jagr every day. For my development, I had to take a different path in order to improve. But it is a world completely opposite of the NHL. "

A different world and a different temperature from the Florida ...

"Last winter, he was an average of nearly -30 degrees Celsius. It's really very cold. "

Notes and statistics:

• The Avangard Omsk's camp opened July 21 in Germany. Ramo and his teammates then headed to Omsk on August 4.
• Ramo has already played a preseason game this season
• In his first season with Omsk, he presented a record of 21-17-4 with four shutouts, an average of 2.11 and a save percentage of, 913

Jee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2010, 12:41 PM
Habsfan18

Good read, thanks for posting.

I'm definitely excited about a possible Price/Ramo tandem in 2011-2012. Ramo is a solid goaltender, and I'd be fine with him playing anywhere from 20-25 games.

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2010, 12:46 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Well they definitely were when he left...I'm sure that was a big motivation for him to play somewhere else (and to be a starting goalie in a competitive league helped). Seems like a competitive guy himself, which is always good. Hopefully he'll be in Montreal next year.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2010, 12:49 PM
CareyClutch
Doing the job

Send a message via MSN to CareyClutch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
Good read, thanks for posting.

I'm definitely excited about a possible Price/Ramo tandem in 2011-2012. Ramo is a solid goaltender, and I'd be fine with him playing anywhere from 20-25 games.
I can see a 1A/1B tandem.

CareyClutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2010, 12:50 PM
Macs

« Si je reviens dans la LNH, je veux jouer, a ajouté l'ancien du Lightning de Tampa Bay. Je n'exigerai jamais le poste de numéro un, mais je ne voudrais pas me contenter d'un rôle de numéro deux.
He won't come back to the NHL if Price is an established #1 goalie.... next year...

Macs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2010, 12:51 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
If he fights for Price's position and ends up being good enough to over take Price I think we have a new bargaining chip boys.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2010, 12:55 PM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

But what about Auld?

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2010, 12:57 PM
Crimson Skorpion
HFB Partner

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarfangor View Post
If he fights for Price's position and ends up being good enough to over take Price I think we have a new bargaining chip boys.
So after this season, we can expect a Price -vs- Ramo thread? Or maybe a Carey -vs- Karri thread.

Oh God, I hope not.

Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2010, 12:57 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macs View Post
« Si je reviens dans la LNH, je veux jouer, a ajouté l'ancien du Lightning de Tampa Bay. Je n'exigerai jamais le poste de numéro un, mais je ne voudrais pas me contenter d'un rôle de numéro deux.
He won't come back to the NHL if Price is an established #1 goalie.... next year...
Err that's not quite how I read it. He's saying he wouldn't be content being the #2 - what goalies in the league would be? If Ramo wants to play in the NHL as much as he says, I'm sure he realizes he'll have to unseat someone like Price to do that - no one's ever going to hand him the #1 role.

Old
08-18-2010, 12:59 PM
CGG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macs View Post
I think you're wrong. He doesn't want to be a backup, but no sane person would bring him right over from the KHL and install him as the team's # 1 goalie. Except maybe Philly. So I think we wants to eventually be a # 1, but should understand it won't be handed to him in 2011-12, he has to start off as a backup and hopefully play his way into a starting role, in Montreal or elsewhere.

CGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2010, 01:03 PM
llamateizer

Great Article.

I thought only the habs mishandle players

llamateizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2010, 01:05 PM
InglewoodJack

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
So after this season, we can expect a Price -vs- Ramo thread? Or maybe a Carey -vs- Karri thread.

Oh God, I hope not.
YES!

I like the chances of him coming back. He would be a good backup, and we can see how he plays, if he can challenge Price a little.

InglewoodJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2010, 01:08 PM
SeriousFan09

Ramo got tossed to the wolves on a bad team at the same age as Carey Price began tending net for Montreal, but it's pretty obvious Ramo isn't as talented as Price, hardly a fair start for the young man I'd say.

SeriousFan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2010, 01:17 PM
Lucius

So he said all the right things. Wonderful.
  • He wants to come back.
  • He will come back and earn his place, not demand a role.
  • Obviously he has ambition to be a starter, but who doesn't. The key is he doesn't demand it.
  • His dream is the NHL and only went to the KHL because, as we suspected, Tampa was such a huge mess.

All good news. I foresee Auld holding the fort for a year and Ramo coming over in 2011 as our insurance policy / backup for Price.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2010, 01:21 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousFan09 View Post
Ramo got tossed to the wolves on a bad team at the same age as Carey Price began tending net for Montreal, but it's pretty obvious Ramo isn't as talented as Price, hardly a fair start for the young man I'd say.
At 21-22 he was too raw to start for a team that was horrible defensively like TB. He doesn't have as much upside as Price but similar style and physical tools. He has a chance to be a NHL #1 but that's the best case scenario. Desjardins' best case is probably as a Sanford type who might be #2 at some points and #3 playing AHL at others.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2010, 01:22 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by husamus156 View Post
Great Article.

I thought only the habs mishandle players
Only if you listen to some of the posters on this board...

Old
08-18-2010, 01:33 PM
DDs not undersized
Former Partisan duCH

Quote:
Since the transaction with Cedrick Desjardins, Ramo said he had not yet spoken personally to one of the leaders of the Habs.
What??? Nobody in the organization has tried to know if it was his plan to come back in the NHL? Or if they were hopeful that a journalist would do that job for them? Or if they simply don't care?

DDs not undersized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2010, 01:37 PM
That Habs Fan
CH fan in TO

Ramo, Ryder and a 2nd for Jeff Carter

That Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2010, 01:37 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Partisan du CH View Post
What??? Nobody in the organization has tried to know if it was his plan to come back in the NHL? Or if they were hopeful that a journalist would do that job for them? Or if they simply don't care?
They know he has a contract with Omsk this year and that he intends to honor it, what else is there to find out?

Old
08-18-2010, 01:41 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
They really, really don't care. The sole point of trading desjardins was just that; getting rid of desjardins. I heard they were willing to take salary back (or even supplement the deal with picks) if other teams weren't willing to take him.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2010, 01:42 PM
llamateizer

Quote:
or simply that the habs talked to his agent

Old
08-18-2010, 01:42 PM
DDs not undersized
Former Partisan duCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
They know he has a contract with Omsk this year and that he intends to honor it, what else is there to find out?
If he wants to come back in NA after that contract? If the player they just acquired wants to play for their team eventually? You know, just basic stuff like that.

DDs not undersized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2010, 01:43 PM
llamateizer

Quote:
If he wants to come back in NA after that contract? If the player they just acquired wants to play for their team eventually? You know, just basic stuff like that.
thats the Agent's job

Old
08-18-2010, 01:44 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Maybe they spoke to his agent, whom Ramo told that he wants to come back after the 2 year deal.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2010, 01:45 PM
Habsfan22100

Quote:
It's called an agent. You know, the guy who usually does the talking.

Habsfan22100 is offline   Reply With Quote