HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers looking at Niemi?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-17-2010, 12:01 PM
  #26
HFNHL Commish
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Downingtown, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,355
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to HFNHL Commish
I'd take Niemi in a heartbeat, especially if he's willing to eat his lunch on a one-year deal just so that he can stay in the NHL, and not have to go looking for playing time in Russia.

HFNHL Commish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 12:01 PM
  #27
Terence Peterman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 5,296
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
No, because the Sharks just signed him as a free agent (they wanted Leighton), and Greiss is a young goalie who they think can play). The Flyers aren't in the same situation where Boucher is more expendable.
Huh?

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 12:10 PM
  #28
Giroux tha Damaja
Registered User
 
Giroux tha Damaja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Mount Holly, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 9,245
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTU2fan View Post
Well then he'd fit right in here, wouldn't he? He could be Homer's new assistant.
BURN!

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 12:13 PM
  #29
Garbage Goal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 18,398
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
Huh?
Supposedly San Jose was going to offer Leighton a contract if he ever made it to free agency.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 12:16 PM
  #30
Terence Peterman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 5,296
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Supposedly San Jose was going to offer Leighton a contract if he ever made it to free agency.
Didn't hear that until now -- is there a link around somewhere?

I'm gonna go vomit a little bit.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 01:24 PM
  #31
Kaktus*
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 22,389
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Supposedly San Jose was going to offer Leighton a contract if he ever made it to free agency.
They were too late. We got him resigned. HA!!

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 01:37 PM
  #32
agrudez*
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: South Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 2,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
They were too late. We got him resigned. HA!!
yeah.... jokes on them?

haha.

agrudez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 02:06 PM
  #33
Kaktus*
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 22,389
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by agrudez View Post
yeah.... jokes on them?

haha.
Only if you do not reply 2010 SC final round.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 02:16 PM
  #34
agrudez*
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: South Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 2,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
Only if you do not reply 2010 SC final round.
Or wait until after halfway through the 2011 season to make the joke.

agrudez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 02:34 PM
  #35
Kaktus*
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 22,389
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by agrudez View Post
Or wait until after halfway through the 2011 season to make the joke.
Or replay 2010 Habs vs Flyers, over and over again.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 02:43 PM
  #36
agrudez*
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: South Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 2,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
Or replay 2010 Habs vs Flyers, over and over again.
Or look at the cap hits that goalies 20x better than Leighton got this offseason.

agrudez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 10:18 PM
  #37
Blackhawkswincup
Tornado Warning
 
Blackhawkswincup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chicagoland
Country: United States
Posts: 120,254
vCash: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptCannon View Post
Niemi didn't finish his sentence.

But the pain in his voice was obvious when he discussed the speed with which the Hawks moved on after an arbitrator awarded Niemi a $2.75 million salary the team chose not to pay.

Paying Niemi at that price would have required the Hawks to shed even more salary and get rid of players they valued more. So they wasted no time turning to Turco, a cheaper, older option with an impressive resume.


http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...5349441.column

Guy seem not to have any idea what's salary cap.
I feel bad for Niemi because I feel he got bad advice

Even after Hjalmarsson offersheet Hawks offered him a 1 yr deal at a reported 2 mil hit and his agent refused it according to rumor here in Chicago

My wish would be for Niemi to come back to Hawks on 1 yr deal (And for us to unload Crawford for late pick or put him on waivers)

But that wont be happening ,,,,,, Sadly

I do hope he resigns with Hawks next summer when our cap situation is more comfortable


Last edited by Blackhawkswincup: 08-17-2010 at 10:24 PM.
Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 10:43 PM
  #38
BobbyClarkeFan16
Registered User
 
BobbyClarkeFan16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: London Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,221
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by agrudez View Post
Or look at the cap hits that goalies 20x better than Leighton got this offseason.
Who were those goalies that had better cap hits? This is what I don't get. I hear people talk about goalies who were better with lower cap hits, but the only goaltender who signed for a lower number than Leighton was Turco. Mason signed for more, Dan Ellis got the same money that Leighton got, Niittymaki signed for more money. The only one who took less was Marty Biron, but is he that much of an upgrade over Leighton?

I don't like Leighton as much as the next person and I think it's a big mistake that the Flyers are putting all their eggs in the basket of a waiver wire acquisition. With that being said, it's not as if the goaltender market this summer was loaded with great goaltenders. It really wasn't and fact is, Leighton signed a reasonable deal. I know this much - I feel more comfortable with him in the nets than I do with Boucher.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 10:45 PM
  #39
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 50,850
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by agrudez View Post
Or look at the cap hits that goalies 20x better than Leighton got this offseason.
this made my eyes bleed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
I feel bad for Niemi because I feel he got bad advice

Even after Hjalmarsson offersheet Hawks offered him a 1 yr deal at a reported 2 mil hit and his agent refused it according to rumor here in Chicago

My wish would be for Niemi to come back to Hawks on 1 yr deal (And for us to unload Crawford for late pick or put him on waivers)

But that wont be happening ,,,,,, Sadly

I do hope he resigns with Hawks next summer when our cap situation is more comfortable

niemi: 2010's biron?

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 11:01 PM
  #40
Garbage Goal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 18,398
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Who were those goalies that had better cap hits? This is what I don't get. I hear people talk about goalies who were better with lower cap hits, but the only goaltender who signed for a lower number than Leighton was Turco. Mason signed for more, Dan Ellis got the same money that Leighton got, Niittymaki signed for more money. The only one who took less was Marty Biron, but is he that much of an upgrade over Leighton?

I don't like Leighton as much as the next person and I think it's a big mistake that the Flyers are putting all their eggs in the basket of a waiver wire acquisition. With that being said, it's not as if the goaltender market this summer was loaded with great goaltenders. It really wasn't and fact is, Leighton signed a reasonable deal. I know this much - I feel more comfortable with him in the nets than I do with Boucher.
Pretty much every single NHL goalie available this summer was or is a better choice then Leighton.

Ellis- Signed for 50k less.

Mason- Only 200k more. If you're nitpicking over 200k then you're just missing the point here.

Halak- Traded for a good prospect.

Nabokov- Went to KHL.

Turco- Signed for 250k less.

Niemi- Unsigned. Likely to either go for peanuts or not even get a job.

Theodore- Unsigned. Likely to either go for peanuts or not even get a job.

Niitty- Signed for 450k more.

Biron- Signed for 675 less.

So, three of those guys signed for less, one signed for slightly more, one was traded for a good prospect, one went to the KHL because he couldn't find a team, and two don't even have a job still.

You can't sit there with a straight face and tell me that Homer couldn't have gotten a goalie or that those guys aren't better then Leighton.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 11:18 PM
  #41
The Cheat
Habitual Linestepper
 
The Cheat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Guilford, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 8,928
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to The Cheat Send a message via MSN to The Cheat
**** biron. that no tallent ass clown can **** off. 5m a year, he can kiss it. he had it good, but gave it up.

I'd rather take back niitty than biron.

We have who we have. stop *****ing about leighton. lets see how it is 25 or so games into the season and then decide if he's THAT bad. How would he be in the NHL if he really was a bad goalie anyway.

The Cheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2010, 12:01 AM
  #42
Garbage Goal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 18,398
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda Popinski View Post
**** biron. that no tallent ass clown can **** off. 5m a year, he can kiss it. he had it good, but gave it up.
You mean Leighton?

Yeah, **** Biron for wanting to get paid, having a crappy agent, and for the Flyers having a crappy GM that can't manage a salary cap.
Quote:
We have who we have. stop *****ing about leighton. lets see how it is 25 or so games into the season and then decide if he's THAT bad. How would he be in the NHL if he really was a bad goalie anyway.
Under that logic, no team should ever make changes in the off-season until 25 or so games into the season so that they know how good or bad they are and whether or not they should improve.

Leighton likely wouldn't be in the NHL or would at least be Carolina's wavier-wire fodder if we didn't pick him up. It's not like crappy players don't play in the NHL. Riley Cote, Raitis Ivanens, Andrew Peters, Jon Sim, etc. keep getting jobs somehow.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2010, 12:58 AM
  #43
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 116,368
vCash: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda Popinski View Post
**** biron. that no tallent ass clown can **** off. 5m a year, he can kiss it. he had it good, but gave it up.

I'd rather take back niitty than biron.

We have who we have. stop *****ing about leighton. lets see how it is 25 or so games into the season and then decide if he's THAT bad. How would he be in the NHL if he really was a bad goalie anyway.
That's actually not OK. You have to get off to a good start because you don't want to be fighting tooth and nail to get back into it. Just ask...the Flyers. Waiting 25 games last year (it was exactly 25 when Stevens got fired), and they didn't look good for the 2 weeks following it. Waiting damn near cost us the playoffs, and we're talking about a whole different situation. We're probably talking about a whole different regime. Moreover, teams aren't readily willing to trade you #1 goaltenders 2 months into the season.

__________________
Philadelphia's Real Alternative
(ynotradio.net)

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2010, 01:23 AM
  #44
JPavs8Clutchy*
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bye
Country: United States
Posts: 4,656
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
No, because the Sharks just signed him as a free agent (they wanted Leighton), and Greiss is a young goalie who they think can play). The Flyers aren't in the same situation where Boucher is more expendable.
After signing Niitty, Wilson (our GM) said that Niittymaki was the guy he wanted all along, and that the reason that he told Nabby he wasn't going to re-sign him, was to give Niitty interest in SJ and hit the open market.

So in short, Doug Wilson has basically said that's not true...

EDIT: http://sharks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?...d=rss-morreale

Quote:
"We've liked him from that point. We think there will be a supply of goalies in this market, but we wanted to go get the guy we wanted and we were proactive in getting him."
http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_15425481?source=rss

Quote:
Wilson's biggest concern was not that Niittymaki would sign with another NHL team. The worry was that he might re-up with Tampa Bay under the team's charismatic new general manager, Steve Yzerman.

In fact, if you were wondering why Wilson announced early last week that Nabokov would not be offered a new deal by the Sharks, there's your answer. Yes, the move was a considerate one in terms of allowing Nabokov to plan his own future. But it also sent out a message to any potential free-agent goalies that there was an opening in San Jose and so they might want to hang in there until July 1.


Last edited by JPavs8Clutchy*: 08-18-2010 at 01:58 AM.
JPavs8Clutchy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2010, 09:15 AM
  #45
agrudez*
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: South Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 2,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda Popinski View Post
How would he be in the NHL if he really was a bad goalie anyway.
Because we picked him up off the waiver wire and KEPT him in the NHL.


Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Who were those goalies that had better cap hits? This is what I don't get. I hear people talk about goalies who were better with lower cap hits, but the only goaltender who signed for a lower number than Leighton was Turco. Mason signed for more, Dan Ellis got the same money that Leighton got, Niittymaki signed for more money. The only one who took less was Marty Biron, but is he that much of an upgrade over Leighton?
I didn't say they made less, but if you are arguing that their cap hits vs. their skill level isn't tremendously disproportionate than what Leighton got vs. his skill level then I do believe this conversation will be going nowhere fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPavs8Cluthcy View Post
So in short, Doug Wilson has basically said that's not true...
Not that I really believe that SJ was interested in Leighton, but.... GMs are notorious liars, so I wouldn't use quotes from AFTER he signs someone to dictate the "truth".

What is he going to say?

"Well, we were going to sign Leighton, but the Flyers gave him double what we were going to offer the day before FA started so we said 'Oh, ****!', threw some darts at a wall full of pictures of FA goalies and the only one we hit was Nitty, so we signed him. He doesn't have any hip problems... does he?"

agrudez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2010, 09:40 AM
  #46
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Right Behind Me!
Posts: 10,444
vCash: 500
One word: Bobrovski. I think there's a very realistic chance he's in the NHL soon, behind Leighton, next season at the latest.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2010, 09:47 AM
  #47
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 116,368
vCash: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPavs8Cluthcy View Post
After signing Niitty, Wilson (our GM) said that Niittymaki was the guy he wanted all along, and that the reason that he told Nabby he wasn't going to re-sign him, was to give Niitty interest in SJ and hit the open market.

So in short, Doug Wilson has basically said that's not true...

EDIT: http://sharks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?...d=rss-morreale



http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_15425481?source=rss
Don't always believe everything you hear. You can't say you're interested in someone who isn't available.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2010, 11:12 AM
  #48
John Wayne Gretzky
Registered User
 
John Wayne Gretzky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,089
vCash: 500
My problem isnt the fact that they signed Leighton over other goalies more so than they signed Leighton and kept Boucher. They should have signed two of these cheap guys and waived boosh, or better yet sign Niemi right now, waive boosh and waive that waste of space 1.7 mil 7th dman Matt Walker and we are set for the season. We couldnt have gotten Halak, they wanted Giroux from us, it would have taken more than a scrubby prospect in Eller and a 3rd rounder to land Halak from an eastern conference Rival, they sent him west so they dont have to see him ever. We arent winning anything with this tandem this year, we need to sign a better 1 A option and lose Boosh.

John Wayne Gretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2010, 01:55 PM
  #49
JPavs8Clutchy*
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bye
Country: United States
Posts: 4,656
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Don't always believe everything you hear. You can't say you're interested in someone who isn't available.
I recall reading in the Sharks magazine that Niittymaki was the guy they wanted.

I don't think DW was interested in Leighton. And if he was, I'd be calling for him to be fired.

JPavs8Clutchy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2010, 03:18 PM
  #50
John Wayne Gretzky
Registered User
 
John Wayne Gretzky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,089
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPavs8Cluthcy View Post
I recall reading in the Sharks magazine that Niittymaki was the guy they wanted.

I don't think DW was interested in Leighton. And if he was, I'd be calling for him to be fired.
No he was def. interested this was reported when we traded for the rights for Nabokov if he became a UFA he was going to pursue Leighton but we signed him before he could test the market.

John Wayne Gretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:25 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.