HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Callahan

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-18-2010, 12:17 PM
  #1
GAGLine
Registered User
 
GAGLine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 9,049
vCash: 500
Callahan

http://rangers.nhl.com/club/news.htm...id=DL|NYR|home

Quote:
Since his first NHL game on Dec. 1, 2006, in the Buffalo Sabres' arena where he had attended games as a youngster, Callahan has gone on to score 53 goals and 96 points in 224 games. That's more goals, points and games than half of the first-round picks from his draft year, which is a reminder of just how much determination and character count when it comes to NHL success.

Callahanís silver medal from last yearís Olympics is another reminder of what his work ethic has meant, because none of the two dozen Americans drafted before him in 2004 were in Vancouver with him six years later.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2010, 12:21 PM
  #2
Emptyvoid
Registered User
 
Emptyvoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 3,360
vCash: 500
A good reminder that we dont give Callahan enough credit, imo. While he isn't a first liner putting up 60+ points, he is the type of player you need to have in order to win the Stanley Cup.

I hope he is a Ranger for life.

Emptyvoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2010, 12:21 PM
  #3
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,263
vCash: 500
Great article. Typical positive, sensible words, but still.

This only goes to show even more-so that our diamond in the rough in Callahan is going to continue being a great player for our team.

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2010, 12:36 PM
  #4
dtrap
Registered User
 
dtrap's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Charleston, SC
Country: United States
Posts: 1,720
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to dtrap
Cue the trade Cally for James Neal while his value is high posts....

dtrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2010, 12:48 PM
  #5
we want cup
We do not Sow
 
we want cup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 10,639
vCash: 500
Kid's an animal. One of the best role players in the league, IMO.

__________________

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2010, 12:50 PM
  #6
Emptyvoid
Registered User
 
Emptyvoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 3,360
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
Kid's an animal. One of the best role players in the league, IMO.
And as long that's all we expect from him, he will be invaluable to us.

Emptyvoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2010, 12:50 PM
  #7
RangerFan23
Registered User
 
RangerFan23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 89
vCash: 500
I think we should trade Cally while his value is high. Maybe for a guy like Zherdev with more offensive potential .............

RangerFan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2010, 01:10 PM
  #8
Matteau Matteau
Registered User
 
Matteau Matteau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Manhattan
Country: United States
Posts: 471
vCash: 500
Cue the Debbie Downers in 3...2...

Matteau Matteau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2010, 01:19 PM
  #9
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..
 
offdacrossbar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: da cuse
Country: Tuvalu
Posts: 8,081
vCash: 500
callahan is a keeper. period.

hes a fantastic player who knows his role and for the most part, plays it as well as any player on the team. he shouldnt be logging first unit pp time, nor should he be playing even strength top 6 minutes.

hes also got "it" and thus i expect him to be wearing the c sometime in the future.

as ive said before, were i to have to pick between trading callahan and dubinsky, its a no brainer.

i keep #24.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2010, 01:40 PM
  #10
pwoz
Registered User
 
pwoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: NJ
Posts: 2,465
vCash: 500
I'd trade anyone depending on the return.

pwoz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2010, 01:53 PM
  #11
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..
 
offdacrossbar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: da cuse
Country: Tuvalu
Posts: 8,081
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwoz View Post
I'd trade anyone depending on the return.
so would i.

but i said dubi v. cally.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2010, 01:58 PM
  #12
CharlieGirl
Registered User
 
CharlieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,826
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan23 View Post
I think we should trade Cally while his value is high. Maybe for a guy like Zherdev with more offensive potential .............
Deal!!!

I've been a big fan of Callahan since juniors, except that he's never played on a team I could cheer for.

If Sather could contact Homer, maybe the two of them could work out something that'll screw both teams over.

CharlieGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2010, 02:01 PM
  #13
Garfinkel1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: CT
Posts: 3,435
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
so would i.

but i said dubi v. cally.
No way, Dubi over Cally.

I love Cally but Dubi is the better Hockey player.

Garfinkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2010, 02:13 PM
  #14
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..
 
offdacrossbar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: da cuse
Country: Tuvalu
Posts: 8,081
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfinkel1 View Post
No way, Dubi over Cally.

I love Cally but Dubi is the better Hockey player.
completely disagree

heres why.

cally has reached his potential already. hes shown what he can be. hes a developed nhl player. hes a very good 3rd liner and a guy who can lead. hes mature, hes a warrior who plays hurt and hes a solid citizen on and off the ice.

as far as being a complete player goes, hes a finished product. hes smart on the ice and in many ways, shows very good hockey instincts. he can play a more offensive role and log top line minutes even though he shouldnt have to. his effort is always consistently consistent.

dubi on the other hand always leaves you wanting more. he shows flashes but then becomes invisible. he skates well but doesnt accomplish much with his speed. his hands are adequate but he still passes to no one to much. and he scores in bunches but those bunches come far to infrequently. his hockey iq is below average imo and his maturity level is a notch below ryans.

hes not a finished product yet. and thus, im left wanting more but thinking that this is what im gonna get from him each and every season. in other words, he may never be more than he is now.

nope, ill take cally and his consistency over dubi's potential and i wont even think twice about it.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2010, 02:19 PM
  #15
Fitzy
All Is Well
 
Fitzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 19,901
vCash: 50
Dubinsky, right now, is as valuable as Callahan. So Im not entirely sure why the fact that he has potential past what he has shown would be a reason not to take him over Callahan.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2010, 02:51 PM
  #16
satrabyk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,865
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
completely disagree

heres why.

cally has reached his potential already. hes shown what he can be. hes a developed nhl player. hes a very good 3rd liner and a guy who can lead. hes mature, hes a warrior who plays hurt and hes a solid citizen on and off the ice.

as far as being a complete player goes, hes a finished product. hes smart on the ice and in many ways, shows very good hockey instincts. he can play a more offensive role and log top line minutes even though he shouldnt have to. his effort is always consistently consistent.

dubi on the other hand always leaves you wanting more. he shows flashes but then becomes invisible. he skates well but doesnt accomplish much with his speed. his hands are adequate but he still passes to no one to much. and he scores in bunches but those bunches come far to infrequently. his hockey iq is below average imo and his maturity level is a notch below ryans.

hes not a finished product yet. and thus, im left wanting more but thinking that this is what im gonna get from him each and every season. in other words, he may never be more than he is now.

nope, ill take cally and his consistency over dubi's potential and i wont even think twice about it.
What u have just summed up is all in favour of Dubinsky. They are both pretty equal contributors as of now but Dubinsky has more potential. I dont see your logic in choosing Cally. Consistency usually comes with age, i wouldint doubt Dubi will hit 70-80 point seasons in his prime, but Cally will never reach those numbers.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2010, 03:02 PM
  #17
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..
 
offdacrossbar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: da cuse
Country: Tuvalu
Posts: 8,081
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by satrabyk View Post
What u have just summed up is all in favour of Dubinsky. They are both pretty equal contributors as of now but Dubinsky has more potential. I dont see your logic in choosing Cally. Consistency usually comes with age, i wouldint doubt Dubi will hit 70-80 point seasons in his prime, but Cally will never reach those numbers.
i prefer stuff i can touch and feel and see over stuff i might touch, feel or see.

that whole bird/hand/bush thing....

and arent cally and dubi pretty close in age ?

what you say is fine as long as you believe that dubinsky will continue to develop and eventually become more than he has shown so far.

i happen to believe he probably will not.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2010, 03:07 PM
  #18
ruckus*
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 3,554
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfinkel1 View Post
No way, Dubi over Cally.

I love Cally but Dubi is the better Hockey player.
Agreed. The thing that so many on this board always forget though, because they're so anxious to make a deal for the sake of making one, is that we don't have to trade either!

Both should be Rangers for a long time.


Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
completely disagree

heres why.

cally has reached his potential already. hes shown what he can be. hes a developed nhl player. hes a very good 3rd liner and a guy who can lead. hes mature, hes a warrior who plays hurt and hes a solid citizen on and off the ice.

as far as being a complete player goes, hes a finished product. hes smart on the ice and in many ways, shows very good hockey instincts. he can play a more offensive role and log top line minutes even though he shouldnt have to. his effort is always consistently consistent.

dubi on the other hand always leaves you wanting more. he shows flashes but then becomes invisible. he skates well but doesnt accomplish much with his speed. his hands are adequate but he still passes to no one to much. and he scores in bunches but those bunches come far to infrequently. his hockey iq is below average imo and his maturity level is a notch below ryans.

hes not a finished product yet. and thus, im left wanting more but thinking that this is what im gonna get from him each and every season. in other words, he may never be more than he is now.

nope, ill take cally and his consistency over dubi's potential and i wont even think twice about it.
So because Dubi has more potential, you'd trade him?

I wasn't sure I understood what you were saying until I read your post further down.

Dubi can do anything Cally can do, and he puts up more points. Add to the fact that (he's not going to) but is capable of playing a more valuable position and there's not a chance in hell I'd move him over Cally.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2010, 03:15 PM
  #19
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..
 
offdacrossbar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: da cuse
Country: Tuvalu
Posts: 8,081
vCash: 500
i never said i wanted to trade anyone and i certainly did not say we should trade dubi because he has more potential. i only said that, imo, cally is the better hockey player right now and perhaps/probably in the future.

were i to have to package one of them in a deal to improve the team, i would move dubi before cally. and thats based on the player right now today and projecting into the future.

i wonder what other gm's would think ??

i mean, the history of this site is to over value our players contrary to reality.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2010, 05:21 PM
  #20
Punxrocknyc19*
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 10,233
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
Dubinsky, right now, is as valuable as Callahan. So Im not entirely sure why the fact that he has potential past what he has shown would be a reason not to take him over Callahan.
Dubinsky the only power forward on the rangers so he is a keeper.

callahan the one and only few that leads on and off the ice and is also a keeper



both are valuable in different ways.


now im waiting for the well Anisimov is a power forward too cause he has size

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2010, 06:42 PM
  #21
DubiDubiDoo
Registered User
 
DubiDubiDoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Garden City, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,927
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
Dubinsky the only power forward on the rangers so he is a keeper.

callahan the one and only few that leads on and off the ice and is also a keeper



both are valuable in different ways.


now im waiting for the well Anisimov is a power forward too cause he has size
I vote we keep dubi, cally an AA!

DubiDubiDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2010, 08:52 PM
  #22
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 14,743
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
Dubinsky, right now, is as valuable as Callahan. So Im not entirely sure why the fact that he has potential past what he has shown would be a reason not to take him over Callahan.
This...and Dubinsky clearly has more room to grow as odc admitted, so why we would keep the guy thats reached his ceiling over a guy thats just as valuable and continuing to grow as a player is beyond me...just doesnt make any sense.

With that said, I hope it never comes to the point where we have to get rid of one...hopefully Callahan is on the 3rd line and Dubinsky on the 2nd for a long time to come.

Oh, and you'll have to forgive odc's viewpoint...hes got a little problem when it comes to evaluating players....just check out his Enver Lisin posts from last year.

Bleed Ranger Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2010, 09:19 PM
  #23
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..
 
offdacrossbar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: da cuse
Country: Tuvalu
Posts: 8,081
vCash: 500
not expecting brandon to be anything more than an adequate winger. his ceiling is no higher than cally either. its just that cally reached his already while brandon hasnt

dubinsky doesnt have the smarts to take his game to the next level. thats the main knock on him imo, his lack of hockey iq. hes just less effective and efficient when compared to cally.

sorry but i dont see dubi being anymore than what he is now.

adequate.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2010, 09:23 PM
  #24
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,263
vCash: 500
If Dubinsky put it all together, consistently, night in and night out, he would be much better than Callahan.

Until that happens, nope.

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2010, 10:34 PM
  #25
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!
 
White Plains Batman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Westchester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,604
vCash: 500
Cally is a heart and soul 20G-20A guy. He is a second line winger who can play on a line with a star as long as he isn't forced to carry the line. Kinda like a cleaner version of Dale Hunter.

He's soo easy to root for and will hopefully wear the C one day as the first true blue collar Rangers Captain in quite a bit.

In any event, the reason his numbers were down last season is because he had to play with Drury and Higgins for the first half and putting those 3 together was redundant..all too similar.

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:52 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.