HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

"Tampa was a huge mess" -Karri Rämö

Old
08-18-2010, 12:46 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Partisan du CH View Post
If he wants to come back in NA after that contract? If the player they just acquired wants to play for their team eventually? You know, just basic stuff like that.
They have a year to do that. I don't think GMs worry about that stuff on quite the same level as posters here tend to. It's not like Gauthier has Ramo's cell on his speed dial.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2010, 12:49 PM
DDs not undersized
Former Partisan duCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
They have a year to do that. I don't think GMs worry about that stuff on quite the same level as posters here tend to. It's not like Gauthier has Ramo's cell on his speed dial.
As the other posters said, hopefully they talked to his agent. But I'd be worried if our GM was willing to give up assets without trying to know if the player they acquire back wants to play in the NHL.

DDs not undersized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2010, 12:51 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 152
He said "I don't expect #1, but I'm not going to sit on #2 either" basically. I don't see what's wrong with that, it means he's gonna keep working towards his goal and not sit back and cash in, that's a good thing, not a bad one.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2010, 12:54 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
He said "I don't expect #1, but I'm not going to sit on #2 either" basically. I don't see what's wrong with that, it means he's gonna keep working towards his goal and not sit back and cash in, that's a good thing, not a bad one.
I don't see why posters seeing us having a #2 that can push our #1 as a bad thing. I think last year's situation helped both Price and Halak. Price gained maturity and humility realizing that he needs to be a pro every day and not relay on his skills only. Halak had to work his butt off and be sharp every game and every day because of Price and his skill level.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2010, 12:54 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:
What??? Nobody in the organization has tried to know if it was his plan to come back in the NHL? Or if they were hopeful that a journalist would do that job for them? Or if they simply don't care?
I figure GMs do their talking with the player's agents on these kinds of contract talks.

EDIT: woops seems I was too slow lol

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2010, 12:57 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
I figure GMs do their talking with the player's agents on these kinds of contract talks.

EDIT: woops seems I was too slow lol
The Habs have scouts and contacts in Europe, even drafted Finns...they may have sent feelers via those people on Ramo. The pro hockey world is a pretty small place with 21st century communication.

Old
08-18-2010, 01:07 PM
Vasculio
Booya !

vCash: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I don't see why posters seeing us having a #2 that can push our #1 as a bad thing. I think last year's situation helped both Price and Halak. Price gained maturity and humility realizing that he needs to be a pro every day and not relay on his skills only. Halak had to work his butt off and be sharp every game and every day because of Price and his skill level.
Completely agree with you, good post

Vasculio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2010, 01:08 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I guess, for me, it's because I don't expect him to actually "compete" with Price for the number one spot a year from now (combination of factors... all previously discussed at length in one place or another), and fully expect that after one year with Montreal we'll be shopping him around so he can "get his chance at #1 somewhere"... or however they'll portray it. If anyone wants a "book it" statement, here it comes: a year from now (despite what some may have inferred from my criticisms of Price so far) I expect that Ramo won't be able to hold a torch to Price, and has NO chance of taking the #1 from him - book it.

And in the end, someone who could have turned out to be a dependable, and most importantly loyal (possibly for a good number of years), will have been moved for one year of Ramo, and the Habs will be looking to fill that #2 spot yet again... with only Mayer, Simila, and whoever (none of whom will be ready) in the organization to choose from. It's only the backup spot though, so who cares, right?

Ohashi_Jouzu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2010, 01:08 PM
Pascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarfangor View Post
If he fights for Price's position and ends up being good enough to over take Price I think we have a new bargaining chip boys.
no, that means we have issues because then Price will not have fulfilled the expectations.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2010, 01:12 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:
As the other posters said, hopefully they talked to his agent. But I'd be worried if our GM was willing to give up assets without trying to know if the player they acquire back wants to play in the NHL.
Yeah. Lets assume Gauthier hasn't done what absolutely everybody around here would have done if they had his job.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2010, 01:13 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
no, that means we have issues because then Price will not have fulfilled the expectations.
Exactly. If, a year from now, Price can't clearly out-compete a guy like Ramo, then the wrong guy was let go (sorry, traded) this summer... unless someone sees Price eventually having to settle into a longterm #2 spot behind Ramo, which is pretty ridiculous to even consider.

Old
08-18-2010, 01:17 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
I guess, for me, it's because I don't expect him to actually "compete" with Price for the number one spot a year from now (combination of factors... all previously discussed at length in one place or another), and fully expect that after one year with Montreal we'll be shopping him around so he can "get his chance at #1 somewhere"... or however they'll portray it. If anyone wants a "book it" statement, here it comes: a year from now (despite what some may have inferred from my criticisms of Price so far) I expect that Ramo won't be able to hold a torch to Price, and has NO chance of taking the #1 from him - book it.

And in the end, someone who could have turned out to be a dependable, and most importantly loyal (possibly for a good number of years), will have been moved for one year of Ramo, and the Habs will be looking to fill that #2 spot yet again... with only Mayer, Simila, and whoever (none of whom will be ready) in the organization to choose from. It's only the backup spot though, so who cares, right?
Pushing the #1 goalie doesn't necessarily mean stealing his job, it just means that like a forward going to the 4th line for a period or two(or a few games) if your starter is not playing well and you have a quality #2 you can give him a couple of starts in a row. If your #2 plays well, it forces your #1 to come back and be sharp if he wants his 3/4 or 4/5 starts.

As a coach you want your more skilled guy to be #1 but it's not a bad thing for the #2 to outshine him occasionally so that he doesn't get too comfortable.

I think Ramo would be happy to be in Montreal in a year and get 20-30 starts and make a name for himself, possibly leading to getting a shot at #1 in 2-3-4 years, much like Halak, M.Smith, Hiller, Kiprusoff, Nittymaki etc

Old
08-18-2010, 01:19 PM
bhuya71

Quote:
Exactly. If, a year from now, Price can't clearly out-compete a guy like Ramo, then the wrong guy was let go (sorry, traded) this summer... unless someone sees Price eventually having to settle into a longterm #2 spot behind Ramo, which is pretty ridiculous to even consider.
Exacta mundo...considering the numbers price has put up in his time in the NHL while most goalies are still honing their skills and the games he has kept us in...he will be at worst...a middle of the pack starter...

but i think halak's multiple pimp slap to the faces last year awoke carey to be a more mature, hard working and intelligent beast....

all HIO reports from brossard always stated carey was first to join (along with Halak) and usually last to leave or even needed to be kicked out...

So i really think seeing Halak's success and the way the city went crazy over him will not only motivate carey to improve but it will also allow him to fall into a comfort zone he didn't have before last year...

playing behind a good system and team and with a sharper mind set i think we will see an upper echelon price (by that i mean a top 15 goalie)

bhuya71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2010, 01:32 PM
Lucius

Quote:

I think you're looking at this from the wrong perspective.

Any goalie should want to be #1. Any goalie who is just happy to be a backup is lying.

Halak is the perfect example of what happens when a #2 has that determination. It might force a move, but Halak a few years ago was basically Ramo. He was a long shot who had success, but everyone just assumed Price would outplay him.

Ramo should come in trying to steal Price's job. That's the right mindset.

Doesn't mean he will or even that Montreal will let him, but if he plays well enough, the worst case scenario is we move him (see Halak, Garon, etc.).

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2010, 01:40 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 152
Quote:
Loyal based on what? CD was an RFA, he doesn't have much choice. Who's to say he doesn't leave town in a year(assuming we didn't trade him) for a better opportunity when he becomes UFA? Yes, Ramo may want a shot elsewhere in 2 years time but so what? At least he's RFA and we could get some value back. We'd lose CD for nothing. You assume a guy like Ramo would have leverage and want to go elsewhere as an RFA but when CD is a UFA he will be loyal? Yes, we gave him a chance and all that, but few people are loyal. They need to take their chance or else it may never come again.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2010, 01:55 PM
McTusk

Some more gems in here, some posters like to make every thread on here a huge mess.

McTusk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2010, 02:23 PM
MetroGnome

Quote:
I agree with the post you quoted, but disagree with your response. How can you say “then the wrong guy was traded” with absolute certainty when we don’t even know how Halak will play next season, among other factors (ie. how Eller and Schultz pan out). Just like we don’t know how Price will play next season.

Unless you were referring to CD and not Halak.

MetroGnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2010, 02:26 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

His stats with Omsk aren't bad at all. Goalies don't hit their prime until they reach 24-25.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2010, 02:30 PM
bhuya71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
His stats with Omsk aren't bad at all. Goalies don't hit their prime until they reach 24-25.
Your logic defies history...

bhuya71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2010, 02:34 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

OK hockey sucked, everyone in Tampa knew it. But now, we have legit owners and legit management, but Karri does not fit in because we have really good depth. It was good fortune for him to be traded.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2010, 02:36 PM
McSorleyStick
GIJON !

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylife View Post
But what about Auld?
who?

McSorleyStick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2010, 02:48 PM
Habitants

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish22100 View Post
It's called an agent. You know, the guy who usually does the talking.
ARI GOLD!

nice article, pretty much what i was expecting to hear. Sounds like he has a good attitude. I said it in the trade thread, it will end up as halak 2.0 lol

Habitants is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2010, 03:35 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroGnome View Post
I agree with the post you quoted, but disagree with your response. How can you say “then the wrong guy was traded” with absolute certainty when we don’t even know how Halak will play next season, among other factors (ie. how Eller and Schultz pan out). Just like we don’t know how Price will play next season.

Unless you were referring to CD and not Halak.
Dude, I said IF it goes down like that. As for the other people who replied, I'll get back to them later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
I'm a little wary of any goalie that played in the same league as Jeff Glass, Martin Gerber, and Robert Esche last year but finished behind all 3 in SV%. Everyone else is totally free to NOT let that worry them though.

Old
08-18-2010, 04:03 PM
Melvin Udall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jee View Post
http://www.radio-canada.ca/sports/ho...abs-ramo.shtml

from JF Chaumont

Google Translator

Karri Ramo took a long detour in his career. A detour that took him to 2,700 kilometers east of Moscow, Omsk.

Ramo did not intend to return to North America this season. Month short term.

The new acquisition of the Canadian and Pierre Gauthier will honor the final year of his two-year deal with Avangard Omsk, Jaromir Jagr's team in the Russian Continental League.

His exile did not last forever, however.

"My goal is always to play in the NHL," Ramo said in an interview from Russia with CBC Sports. I never changed my mind, this is my dream to establish myself in the NHL for several seasons. "

For the 2011-2012 season, Ramo he thinks the role of assistant to Carey Price with the CH?

"I do not want to think about it too," said Finnish goalkeeper wisely 24. For the moment I'm concentrating on my season in Omsk. At the end of my contract in Russia, I think about my future. The best scenario would possibly come to Montreal and to fight for a position. "

"If I come back in the NHL, I want to play," added former Tampa Bay Lightning. I do not ask the position of number one, but I would not want to settle for a role as number two. It's human nature, you want to play as possible and you want to fight for your ice time. "

Ramo, who has played 48 games in three seasons in Tampa, had good words for his new organization.

"I don a Canadian jersey, it would be a very nice honor. It has a rich history with this team. When I played at the Bell Centre, I have always found the atmosphere unreal. There is no better seats for hockey. "

Since the transaction with Cedrick Desjardins, Ramo said he had not yet spoken personally to one of the leaders of the Habs.

A necessary starting

Beyond the financial attractiveness of Russia, Ramo has made clear his decision to leave Tampa Bay last season.

"If I had decided to stay in Tampa, I do not know how I could get starts in the NHL. The conditions were not good with the Lightning. It was total mess with the owners and we do not know what to expect from the team. "

"When I looked at my options last year, Omsk was the best choice," said Ramo. There are so many good players in the KHL and I have the opportunity to train with a guy like Jagr every day. For my development, I had to take a different path in order to improve. But it is a world completely opposite of the NHL. "

A different world and a different temperature from the Florida ...

"Last winter, he was an average of nearly -30 degrees Celsius. It's really very cold. "

Notes and statistics:

• The Avangard Omsk's camp opened July 21 in Germany. Ramo and his teammates then headed to Omsk on August 4.
• Ramo has already played a preseason game this season
• In his first season with Omsk, he presented a record of 21-17-4 with four shutouts, an average of 2.11 and a save percentage of, 913

So.......this guy actually wants to "PLAY" - if he returns to the NHL?

Ramo's agent just might want to point out to him that if he plays in Montreal - CAREY PRICE IS THE MAN!

If Ramo had a goals against average of 0.00 and a save percentage of 1.00, make no mistake about it - Price will be the Habs #1 goalie - no matter how good or bad he plays!

Damn, the truth hurts!

Melvin Udall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2010, 04:05 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylife View Post
But what about Auld?
Auld signed a one year deal, and Ramo has one year remaining on his Omsk deal. No issue.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote