HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Switching to Shoot Left

Old
08-19-2010, 12:58 AM
nullterm

vCash: 500
Switching to Shoot Left

Am I crazy?

Been playing now for 3 years, and I'm contemplating switching. Just feels like I'm not improving like I'd hope I would shooting right, specifically stickhandling, pass receiving, and shot accuracy.

Just starting off easy with simple stickhandling drills and it feels surprisingly comfortable given my dominant hand is now my top hand, especially for reaching. Wristshot feels awkward but not as bad as I thought. Slapshot feels like I've never held a hockey stick in my hands before. Hahaha.

Visited my nephew a couple years ago and all he had was lefties when we went to shoot on each other in his driveway. Had the idea stuck in my head ever since. It's all his fault.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2010, 02:32 AM
doobie604

you're crazy for sticking with the wrong hand for 3 years!

doobie604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2010, 02:55 AM
pass the bisk

You don't need to switch. You just need to gain strength in your left forearm and wrist. I'm guessing you are a righty so with your dominant hand on bottom, you probably try to control with that. Just work on your weaker hand more. Also, stick with fundamentals and etc.

On the plus side, there are not a lot of righties (depending on location) so you could add another dynamic to a team who lacks a rh shot.

pass the bisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2010, 03:13 AM
nullterm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pass the bisk View Post
You don't need to switch. You just need to gain strength in your left forearm and wrist. I'm guessing you are a righty so with your dominant hand on bottom, you probably try to control with that. Just work on your weaker hand more. Also, stick with fundamentals and etc.

On the plus side, there are not a lot of righties (depending on location) so you could add another dynamic to a team who lacks a rh shot.
In the words of one of my team captains upon looking at the sticks lined up on the locker room wall, "No wonder we suck, I've never seen so many righties in my life!"

Last edited by nullterm: 08-19-2010 at 03:49 AM.
Old
08-19-2010, 06:53 AM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

If you feel comfortable switching, then switch. It's up for you to decide. Honestly, most people who are RH should shoot lefty, but it's all about what you think feels right. Someone else made a good point though, if you are surrounded by lefties, you'll probably have a bit of a benefit if you can get better shooting RH.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2010, 09:17 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

I've been considering this as well since reading the idea here a few months ago. Likewise I feel like it's a crazy idea, but I've only been at it for about 8 months so maybe there's not as much "re-training" to do?

Down here in the south the majority shoot RH, by probably a 70% margin. I think most people are like me, grew up swinging a bat on the right side and translated that to hockey.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2010, 10:33 AM
densetsu

How did you come to the initial decision to shoot right-handed?

Also, the Oilers lefty/righty ratio is 17:7. I'm not sure if that's supposed to entice you or deter you from switching to LH.

densetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2010, 01:26 PM
nullterm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
I've been considering this as well since reading the idea here a few months ago. Likewise I feel like it's a crazy idea, but I've only been at it for about 8 months so maybe there's not as much "re-training" to do?
I've decided in the short term to work stickhandling and shooting drills with both sides off ice and stick n puck. Once I get to a point with my leftie that I'm happy I'll try it dropin, before I try in a league game.

Taking it on as a side project and see how it goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by densetsu View Post
How did you come to the initial decision to shoot right-handed?
Faint memories of picking up one of those floppy plastic hockey sticks playing floor hockey at elementary and going for a rightie 25 years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by densetsu View Post
Also, the Oilers lefty/righty ratio is 17:7. I'm not sure if that's supposed to entice you or deter you from switching to LH.
Taylor Hall shoots Left.

Old
08-19-2010, 01:59 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I guess if you worked at it for three years and made no progress, switch it up.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2010, 02:09 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Just grab a lefty stick and see how it feels. If it feels bad, then don't switch. I know when I grab a lefty stick I feel very uncoordinated.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2010, 02:55 PM
jacko23
KCCO!

i think it would take longer to get your LEFTY to where you want it to be, since you are basically starting from scratch, than to get your RIGHTY to where you want it to be, since you have been doing it longer. just my two cents.

jacko23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2010, 04:19 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

For most of these questions I'd agree, but if he's been playing for three years with no improvement, it's worth $20 on a cheap wood stick and give it a month. Use a stickhandling ball and see what happens.

Hell, I am the least athletically gifted person in the world, and I grew by leaps and bounds my first three years. Since then I haven't gotten much better in terms of stickhandling but I'm one of the better in my "class". Too bad I can't skate worth a damn.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2010, 04:54 PM
nullterm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
For most of these questions I'd agree, but if he's been playing for three years with no improvement, it's worth $20 on a cheap wood stick and give it a month. Use a stickhandling ball and see what happens.

Hell, I am the least athletically gifted person in the world, and I grew by leaps and bounds my first three years. Since then I haven't gotten much better in terms of stickhandling but I'm one of the better in my "class". Too bad I can't skate worth a damn.
Yeah, my skating has progressed alot, but it doesn't feel like my hands made any progress. Maybe I peaked as a kid playing street and floor hockey, but I'd like to think that there's still lots of room for improvement somehow.

Old
08-19-2010, 05:04 PM
Chairman Maouth
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullterm View Post
Am I crazy?

Been playing now for 3 years, and I'm contemplating switching. Just feels like I'm not improving like I'd hope I would shooting right, specifically stickhandling, pass receiving, and shot accuracy.

Just starting off easy with simple stickhandling drills and it feels surprisingly comfortable given my dominant hand is now my top hand, especially for reaching. Wristshot feels awkward but not as bad as I thought. Slapshot feels like I've never held a hockey stick in my hands before. Hahaha.

Visited my nephew a couple years ago and all he had was lefties when we went to shoot on each other in his driveway. Had the idea stuck in my head ever since. It's all his fault.
Like me, you may be ambidextrous. Although over the years I've settled into a set-hand for some things. I golf and bat either hand. Fish with my left. Play hockey left-handed, but have settled into throwing and writing right handed. If it does come easy to you, I suggest giving it a fair shake, and even with other sports. You may be pleasantly surprised. For instance, I was a switch-hitter in baseball, and I always had a higher batting average hitting left but never hit a single solitary home run. Right-handed, I had a lower batting average but hit them out of the park all the time.

My dad started me off right-handed in every sport, but like you, it just never felt right so I started trying other things and improved a lot.

Chairman Maouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2010, 05:10 PM
Crossbar Ping

Im left handed and left-dominant, but I always play hockey with my right hand low (right handedness).

Just my .02

Crossbar Ping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2010, 06:56 PM
Crosbyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossbar Ping View Post
Im left handed and left-dominant, but I always play hockey with my right hand low (right handedness).

Just my .02
Most Canadians would call that "left handedness"...

...unless you simply meant "shoot right".

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 10:03 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosbyfan View Post
Most Canadians would call that "left handedness"...

...unless you simply meant "shoot right".
This is a source of confusion. Someone who holds his stick to the right side of his body is considered "right handed" down here.

Again I think it comes from people being more used to baseball and golf, where a righty holds the bat/club to the right side of the body. I suspect about 50% of hockey-playing Americans are playing on the wrong side.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 01:58 PM
bauerhockey02

I am normally right handed but when I first started when i was 8 I used a lefty (which from what I hear is actually what should happen) for the first couple months. However after that I found myself switching to righty and it just felt more comfortable for me. My mom made me quit not long after cause she didn't want me playing however I started playing street hockey 5 years later and once again found myself shooting right. When I finally got back on the ice again at 17 going on 18 I stuck with shooting right. Now it is a year later and I have thought a lot about going back to shooting left but everytime I try it just doesn't feel right to me.

I have heard that the way you hold a shovel when you are shoveling snow is usually how you should hold your stick. I'm not sure if that is true or not but I shovel with my left hand on top which would end up making sense for why I find it better for myself to shoot right in hockey.

Last edited by bauerhockey02: 08-20-2010 at 01:59 PM. Reason: edit sentence
bauerhockey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 02:47 PM
Fordy
the kid signify

There's no right or wrong side. When you pick up a stick, one side should immediately feel more comfortable and 'natural' for you. Use it.

Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 02:48 PM
Fordy
the kid signify

Quote:
Originally Posted by bauerhockey02 View Post
I am normally right handed but when I first started when i was 8 I used a lefty (which from what I hear is actually what should happen) for the first couple months. However after that I found myself switching to righty and it just felt more comfortable for me. My mom made me quit not long after cause she didn't want me playing however I started playing street hockey 5 years later and once again found myself shooting right. When I finally got back on the ice again at 17 going on 18 I stuck with shooting right. Now it is a year later and I have thought a lot about going back to shooting left but everytime I try it just doesn't feel right to me.

I have heard that the way you hold a shovel when you are shoveling snow is usually how you should hold your stick. I'm not sure if that is true or not but I shovel with my left hand on top which would end up making sense for why I find it better for myself to shoot right in hockey.
I switch when my arms get tired... darn.

Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2010, 07:20 PM
nullterm

At a stick & puck, just for fun I tried switching back & forth on the fly while carrying the puck. Felt more natural lefty, but couldn't shoot the puck if my life depended on it. Will keep working away at it.

Old
09-10-2010, 09:21 PM
Badger36

If youve only been playing for 3 years, it wont set you back all the much switching to lefty.
If youd been playing for 20 years as a righty and wanted to switch, Id probably say you were crazy to switch, but 3 years isnt all that long.

Badger36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 01:56 AM
CookieCrumbs*
Heads Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullterm View Post
At a stick & puck, just for fun I tried switching back & forth on the fly while carrying the puck. Felt more natural lefty, but couldn't shoot the puck if my life depended on it. Will keep working away at it.
I know this is an old thread, but was wondering if there was an update on your dilemma? This quote here is EXACTLY how I feel. I'm a lot better stick handling with a lefty stick (I find myself using my bottom hand a times to stick handle when I play with a righty, although I try hard not to), but my shot just doesn't exist lefty. Shooting feels very natural with a righty stick. If you watched me stick handle with a lefty and then a righty stick you might not notice much if any difference, but shooting? Wow. Righty all the way. Thoughts? Again, my apologies for digging up this old thread. You can thank Google.

CookieCrumbs* is offline   Reply With Quote