HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Philadelphia Union Discussion

Closed Thread

Old
08-17-2010, 12:57 PM
ihatebraydenschenn

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HFNHL Commish View Post
Seitz is the entrenched starter, Knighton the backup.
Which one is the short guy? He's rather acrobatic. He made some nice saves at the end of the Celtic game.

Does anyone else have a problem with the way soccer players act like women? I'm being completely serious. I have a huge problem with this as it irritates the hell out of me when a player holds his leg in pseudo agony after tripping over a blade of grass.

GROW A PAIR.

I'm sick and tired of pansies delaying the game. Thank god the ref carded the Rapid's goalie during the last match. Really, he should have gotten punched in the face for being such an unprofessional *****. I'm also sick of seeing people move up 30 yards from where the actual throw-in was supposed to take place. Honestly, what the hell is wrong with you. And stop nudging the ball along during a free kick.

Sorry for the rant, it just really bothers me. It's such a turn off and it's not doing any good for new soccer fans in the US.

Old
08-17-2010, 01:10 PM
HFNHL Commish

Send a message via AIM to HFNHL Commish
LOL - funny you should mention the "short guy". He's Brian Perk - the Union waived him a week or two ago. :-)

Old
08-17-2010, 03:06 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by galvo View Post
Which one is the short guy? He's rather acrobatic. He made some nice saves at the end of the Celtic game.

Does anyone else have a problem with the way soccer players act like women? I'm being completely serious. I have a huge problem with this as it irritates the hell out of me when a player holds his leg in pseudo agony after tripping over a blade of grass.

GROW A PAIR.

I'm sick and tired of pansies delaying the game. Thank god the ref carded the Rapid's goalie during the last match. Really, he should have gotten punched in the face for being such an unprofessional *****. I'm also sick of seeing people move up 30 yards from where the actual throw-in was supposed to take place. Honestly, what the hell is wrong with you. And stop nudging the ball along during a free kick.

Sorry for the rant, it just really bothers me. It's such a turn off and it's not doing any good for new soccer fans in the US.
Re-watch the World Cup Final and you'll see why they do it.

Old
08-17-2010, 04:36 PM
SeanL44
Welcome to Hellbow

JSTAFF you like the bianconeri! The only team I love as much as the Flyers!

Old
08-17-2010, 05:17 PM
JSTAFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanL44 View Post
JSTAFF you like the bianconeri! The only team I love as much as the Flyers!
Forza Juve!!!

Old
08-17-2010, 05:21 PM
slitz

perk was signed by galaxy. still dont get why they waived him. they have 2 open roster spots and had to call up ceparo as backup last week

Old
08-17-2010, 05:26 PM
slitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSTAFF View Post
that Le Toux shot was just awesome. I must say, having the stadium in Chester is a real burden to me and all my friends. We used to goto every game but now no one wants to drive to ****ing Chester ****hole to watch a game. Before you could jump on the subway if you lived in the city, or jumped on the regional rail to subway to get right to the stadium. The tailgating at PPL is horrible, the town is a piece of ****, very unfortunate.
Quote:
I was there too, on the other side. Two things:

1. $20 ****ing dollars to park? Are you kidding me?
2. Games ending in a tie is ****ing ********. I think MLS wants to lose fans.
wow, you cry more than my 3 month old. there are several safes places to park that are less than $20. and if you are adventurous, you can park along 291 for $10.

its incredibly easy to drive in and out of there. and as far as the tailgating... tailgating is what you make it. if you arent having fun, thats your problem. there are tons of people there that are

Old
08-18-2010, 11:28 AM
GirouxGiroux
Visioneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slitz View Post
perk was signed by galaxy. still dont get why they waived him. they have 2 open roster spots and had to call up ceparo as backup last week
They have open spots on the roster, but the four protected youth spots were full. There will be two new teams next year, so there will be another expansion draft. Union wanted to protect J.T. Noone, midfielder, so Perk was the odd man out.

Ceparo was only up because of Knighton's red card. It's not uncommon for teams to have just two goalies.

Old
08-18-2010, 11:32 AM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirouxGiroux View Post
They have open spots on the roster, but the four protected youth spots were full. There will be two new teams next year, so there will be another expansion draft. Union wanted to protect J.T. Noone, midfielder, so Perk was the odd man out.

Ceparo was only up because of Knighton's red card. It's not uncommon for teams to have just two goalies.
The Union need a solid defender and an actual winger so bad, especially with Salinas out. We have like 10 midfielders and I only really like Torres, Mapp and Salinas.

Alejandro Moreno is a forward who can't score. Please get rid of him.

Old
08-18-2010, 11:49 AM
GirouxGiroux
Visioneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
The Union need a solid defender and an actual winger so bad, especially with Salinas out. We have like 10 midfielders and I only really like Torres, Mapp and Salinas.

Let's face it - they have a bunch of kids and a bunch of players other teams didn't want. For the most part I like the kids though. Most of them have at least shown flashes.

They had Salinas at RB and that could work if the rest of the defense wasn't full of holes. Califf has been exposed too often and they need to put Harvey on a leash. He runs up into the attacking third all the time and does nothing except get out of position.

I'd have no problem ditching any or all of the 30+ players. (30+ as in age, in case that wasn't clear)

Old
08-18-2010, 12:12 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Let's face it - they have a bunch of kids and a bunch of players other teams didn't want. For the most part I like the kids though. Most of them have at least shown flashes.

They had Salinas at RB and that could work if the rest of the defense wasn't full of holes. Califf has been exposed too often and they need to put Harvey on a leash. He runs up into the attacking third all the time and does nothing except get out of position.

I'd have no problem ditching any or all of the 30+ players. (30+ as in age, in case that wasn't clear)
Yeah, the Union are a mess right now.

Torres is only on loan, so he could disappear for nothing.
Mwanga's future looks bright, so of course I expect him to go to Europe soon.
Le Toux will stick around though, that's awesome.
Califf - decent
Harvey - one of our most consistent guys
Salinas - only pure winger
Moreno - a forward who dives and can't score
Coudet - old as dirt

I don't know some of the others as well. I like what I've seen out of JacMac though.

Old
08-18-2010, 12:54 PM
GirouxGiroux
Visioneer

Quote:

Califf - decent
Coudet - old as dirt

I don't know some of the others as well. I like what I've seen out of JacMac though.
I believe that MLS teams only bring in players on loan if they are guaranteed the option to keep the player when the loan ends. So if the Union wants Torres, he shouldn't be going anywhere.

Old
08-18-2010, 01:07 PM
HFNHL Commish

Send a message via AIM to HFNHL Commish
I actually think that Califf's been pretty good, save for the first few games of the season. When he does get exposed, it's usually as part of a much larger breakdown, such as when Harvey/Arrieta/Orozco get caught too far upfield. When he's in his element, Danny's a pretty no-nonsense CB who wins 90% of balls in the air.

Thing is, you look at the goals against, and it's really easy just to blame the back four. But a lot of the goals against have stemmed directly from poor defensive play from the midfielders. Miglioranzi is really the only midfielder that's a solid man-marker (Okugo hasn't played enough to qualify). For every time that Fred teases the crowd with a run upfield, he turns the ball over five times, and rarely works hard enough to win it back. If our midfielders were better defensively, you wouldn't see Le Toux retreating into the defensive third quite so often as he does...

Old
08-18-2010, 01:11 PM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:
I actually think that Califf's been pretty good, save for the first few games of the season. When he does get exposed, it's usually as part of a much larger breakdown, such as when Harvey/Arrieta/Orozco get caught too far upfield. When he's in his element, Danny's a pretty no-nonsense CB who wins 90% of balls in the air.

Thing is, you look at the goals against, and it's really easy just to blame the back four. But a lot of the goals against have stemmed directly from poor defensive play from the midfielders. Miglioranzi is really the only midfielder that's a solid man-marker (Okugo hasn't played enough to qualify). For every time that Fred teases the crowd with a run upfield, he turns the ball over five times, and rarely works hard enough to win it back. If our midfielders were better defensively, you wouldn't see Le Toux retreating into the defensive third quite so often as he does...
It's hard to stay angry at Fred, given that his name is hilarious.

Old
08-18-2010, 01:40 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

There was a reason the Union got a 1st round pick just to take Fred, I guess

Old
08-18-2010, 01:40 PM
GirouxGiroux
Visioneer

Quote:

Califf was abused vs. Columbus.

Old
08-18-2010, 05:32 PM
slitz

Quote:

right, i always forget about those nuances of the rosters. however, i see more value in keeping and protecting perk than noone, but thats just my opinion.

re califf: the whole d is just too damn slow. arrieta looks like he carries a piano on his back.

Old
08-19-2010, 09:01 AM
JSTAFF

I'm getting a Harvey jersey, for sure.

Old
08-19-2010, 01:32 PM
JVR21
G

Quote:

Quote:

Califf - decent
Coudet - old as dirt

Sorry to be a grammar nazi here, but it's more that I'm just curious. "Union" is singular, right? Is it a soccer thing, or just because it doesn't sound right? Come to think of it, it would be weird saying that the Avalanche "is"...

Last edited by JVR21: 08-20-2010 at 08:53 AM.
Old
08-19-2010, 01:37 PM
agrudez*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post
Sorry to be a grammar nazi here, but it's more than I'm just curious. "Union" is singular, right? Is it a soccer thing, or just because it doesn't sound right? Come to think of it, it would be weird saying that the Avalanche "is"...
While the Colorado Avalanche as a franchise are a single entity, when referring to the team you are referring to a plural entity.

If I were to say:

The Colorado Avalanche is a good franchise.

The Colorado Avalanche are going to be good next year.

They would both be correct, in my opinion.

Old
08-19-2010, 01:38 PM
JSTAFF

Quote:
Sorry to be a grammar nazi here, but it's more than I'm just curious. "Union" is singular, right? Is it a soccer thing, or just because it doesn't sound right? Come to think of it, it would be weird saying that the Avalanche "is"...
The Union is plural just like 'The Senate.'

Old
08-19-2010, 02:06 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by agrudez View Post
While the Colorado Avalanche as a franchise are a single entity, when referring to the team you are referring to a plural entity.

If I were to say:

Quote:
Good point, IDK, which is why I wrote both.

Old
08-19-2010, 02:51 PM
Hollywood Couturier

I've been trying to get into the MLS but I just can't seem to be able to. It's starting to get a little more enjoyable as the game has improved in the last few years but I can't find myself watching it when I have the European leagues that I can watch. I mean I watch the Union when I can and really enjoy soccer but it just doesn't have the appeal that any European league game.

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Old
08-20-2010, 12:37 AM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by agrudez View Post

If I were to say:

Quote:
Quote:
Good point, IDK, which is why I wrote both.
Generally speaking, collective nouns are grammatically treated as singular things on this side of the pond.

http://www.chompchomp.com/terms/collectivenoun.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collective_noun

Old
08-23-2010, 02:06 PM
slitz

what a **** game, but the road trip was still fun

Closed Thread