HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

McBain on Calder watch

Old
08-18-2010, 01:41 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
McBain on Calder watch

According to the HF staff:

Quote:
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...calder_trophy/

Carolina Hurricanes: Jamie McBain
Edmonton Oilers: Taylor Hall, Jordan Eberle, Magnus Paajarvi-Svensson.
Florida Panthers: Michael Grabner
Los Angeles Kings: Jonathan Bernier, Brayden Schenn
Montreal Canadiens: P.K. Subban
San Jose Sharks: Thomas Greiss
Toronto Maple Leafs: Nazem Kadri
Washington Capitals: Marcus Johansson, John Carlson

Defensemen such as Jamie McBain, John Carlson, and P.K. Subban are all over 20 years old and looking to build off the brief success they had in the NHL last season. McBain and Carlson logged 14 and 22 regular season games respectively while Subban played 14 in Montreal’s surprise playoff run. All three looked stellar in their brief appearances last season and will playing for established veteran teams, further easing their transition to the NHL.

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2010, 01:45 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

Well I certainly hope so, but my guess is it'll be either one of the 3 Edmonton boys or Schenn. If a defenseman wins it, it'll be Subban.

Still, it's nice that he's getting the recognition.

Anton Dubinchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2010, 01:49 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
I have very little faith in Schenn to get very productive icetime, much less put up Calder worthy numbers. Unless there is a surprise, like Howard or Myers last year, then one has to think that Hall or MPS are the odds on favorites.

McBain could be a 40-50 point guy with some luck, but I think Subban is better offensively.

Vagrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2010, 01:49 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

Also, 2008-2009 Calder award winner goalie Chris Mason. LOL

Old
08-18-2010, 01:57 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

I just like the supporting cast that Schenn will have. He'll likely be playing 3rd line center. The top 4 wingers will likely be Williams, Poni, Smyth, and Brown. Schenn's 3rd line linemates could end up being Wayne Simmonds and Oscar Moller. These are pretty terrific linemates for a rookie to break in with, Simmonds showed GREAT promise last year and Moller has enough upside to score maybe 20 goals this year. Of the 3 Edmonton boys, 2 will be on the same line, and sharing those points certainly lessens both's chances at the Calder. I think that all 3 have a great chance of winning it, but the one that's not playing with another rookie will have the best shot.

I do agree that although McBain could score 40 points, Subban's got the better offensive game. He was great in the playoffs last year, and the Habs have taken their time with him. He'll play top 4 minutes easily, which is something I'm not sure McBain will consistently do over the course of the season.

Old
08-18-2010, 02:48 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
This could be an explosive year for rookies.

McBain, Subban, Carlson & Pietrangelo could have solid rookie outings if all goes well. If Jonathan Blum makes Nashville he could also put up some numbers. He had a great rookie campaign in Milwaukee last season.

I'd keep an eye on Tyler Ennis (Buffalo) & Colin Wilson (Nashville). If Seguin is in Boston he could put up solid numbers as Boston has a solid supporting cast. Seguin may or may not shift to wing. I think Jordan Eberle is the furthest along of Edmonton's big 3 - Hall & Paajarvi-Svensson, and may have a Duchene-like rookie outing. But any one of the big 3 there could take rookie of the year honors. I'm excited to see what those kids do.

Both Varlamov & Neuvirth could put up solid rookie seasons in the crease for Washington.

All in all, it should be a good year for rookies.

Guerzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2010, 03:00 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
This could be an explosive year for rookies.

McBain, Subban, Carlson & Pietrangelo could have solid rookie outings if all goes well. If Jonathan Blum makes Nashville he could also put up some numbers. He had a great rookie campaign in Milwaukee last season.

I'd keep an eye on Tyler Ennis (Buffalo) & Colin Wilson (Nashville). If Seguin is in Boston he could put up solid numbers as Boston has a solid supporting cast. Seguin may or may not shift to wing. I think Jordan Eberle is the furthest along of Edmonton's big 3 - Hall & Paajarvi-Svensson, and may have a Duchene-like rookie outing. But any one of the big 3 there could take rookie of the year honors. I'm excited to see what those kids do.

Both Varlamov & Neuvirth could put up solid rookie seasons in the crease for Washington.

All in all, it should be a good year for rookies.
Well, Varlamov isn't actually eligible for the Calder, he's played more than 25 regular season games. But I agree, it will be a great year for rookies. I love both Blum and Pietrangelo, but I feel that if they do make their teams out of camp, they'll fall victim to being less far along than Subban and McBain. They'll be incredibly good players, yes, but McBain and Subban are much further along at this point in time, so I don't think that either have realistic shots at the Calder.

I also agree that Eberle will have a terrific season. I think he's progressed well and should be getting top 6 minutes by the end of the season (honestly by the start of the season considering the lack of talent in Edmonton).

I believe Chiarelli said that with the current roster, Seguin would be playing wing. However, obviously they're trying to move Savard, and if they do I bet Seguin plays center. I actually don't like Seguin at wing; his two-way play better serves him as a center. He's got a real shot at the Calder if he plays center, but if he plays wing not so much IMO.

Old
08-18-2010, 03:08 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgusta21 View Post
I believe Chiarelli said that with the current roster, Seguin would be playing wing. However, obviously they're trying to move Savard, and if they do I bet Seguin plays center. I actually don't like Seguin at wing; his two-way play better serves him as a center. He's got a real shot at the Calder if he plays center, but if he plays wing not so much IMO.
They're not trying to move Savard. That was just Toronto tabloid hype. Seguin's set to start the season at wing, but inevitably someone will get hurt and he'll have his chance at center.

Old
08-18-2010, 03:13 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

I've heard PLENTY of Savard rumors that are COMPLETELY separate from the Kaberle rumors. You may be right, but I've heard a couple of teams in the mix for him...

Old
08-18-2010, 03:17 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
I've heard PLENTY of Savard rumors that are COMPLETELY separate from the Kaberle rumors. You may be right, but I've heard a couple of teams in the mix for him...
Every rumor I have seen so far has been typical offseason fluff. At no point has it really been apparent that Boston wants to unload their ppg+ number one center with the $4m cap hit.

Old
08-18-2010, 06:08 PM
imayagainknowanson
Jailbait

Pitkanen, Corvo and Gleason will get some injuries, so McBain will take more ice time.

imayagainknowanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2010, 06:34 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

Quote:
Originally Posted by caniacho View Post
Pitkanen, Corvo and Gleason will get some injuries, so McBain will take more ice time.
Well that's a statement with literally no proof to back it up

Old
08-18-2010, 06:43 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Quote:
Well that's a statement with literally no proof to back it up
I don't think it's entirely unrealistic to think that one of our Top 4 defenders will go down over the course of the season. Pitkanen misses his fair share of games per year. Gleason gets banged up too. Corvo may as well.

Old
08-18-2010, 06:53 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
I don't think it's entirely unrealistic to think that one of our Top 4 defenders will go down over the course of the season. Pitkanen misses his fair share of games per year. Gleason gets banged up too. Corvo may as well.
Being "not entirely unrealistic" doesn't mean there's any proof

Old
08-18-2010, 07:06 PM
Joe McGrath

Quote:
If Tim Gleason plays 82 games this season I owe you a coke.

Joe McGrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2010, 07:53 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe McGrath View Post
If Tim Gleason plays 82 games this season I owe you a coke.
I'll hold you to that

Old
08-18-2010, 09:34 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Quote:
Well it depends on how you quantify "proof" in this situation. If you wish to say that historical precedence and average games played per season is inadmissible because there is no guarantee for it to happen again, then you are correct there is no proof. However, given what we know about the propensity for injury of the current group of defenders, it's not unreasonable to suggest that our depth will be tested at times this year and McBain will be the likely recipient of more ice time, provided he does not fall victim to those same injury troubles.

Old
08-19-2010, 08:48 AM
Joe McGrath

The great McBain scoffs at your Calder Trophy. He's got his eyes on the Norris, duh!

Seriously though, he would have to put up absurd numbers to win the Calder since no one is going to see him play enough to judge his defensive abilities. You think a lot of the voters watch a ton of Canes vs. Panthers games?

Joe McGrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2010, 11:48 AM
Caniac4ever
Gleason 4 Norris

vCash: 1169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe McGrath View Post
The great McBain scoffs at your Calder Trophy. He's got his eyes on the Norris, duh!

Seriously though, he would have to put up absurd numbers to win the Calder since no one is going to see him play enough to judge his defensive abilities. You think a lot of the voters watch a ton of Canes vs. Panthers games?
Well DUH!!! What a stupid question to ask. Obviously the entire population of North American will forced to watch McBain play tons this season. If we get our usual dominance of coverage on Versus, NBC, CBC, and TSN that is... I would personally like to see the Caps and Pens get at least a few games of national coverage.

Caniac4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2010, 12:23 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caniac4ever View Post
Well DUH!!! What a stupid question to ask. Obviously the entire population of North American will forced to watch McBain play tons this season. If we get our usual dominance of coverage on Versus, NBC, CBC, and TSN that is... I would personally like to see the Caps and Pens get at least a few games of national coverage.
Caps and Pens will get their turn when they face us in the playoffs.

Old
08-19-2010, 12:28 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
Caps and Pens will get their turn when they face us in the playoffs.
hey now, what if they face eachother while we're playing Atlanta on the same night? They might be lucky to get the end of the game on Versus. And god forbid that we actually go to OT.

DaveG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2010, 12:54 PM
ChuckW
We'll be back.

There's a lot of buzz around McBain on many hockey websites and mags right now. Nice to see, actually. But I think there should be a bit more buzz around Sutter, IMO.

ChuckW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2010, 01:19 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
There's a lot of buzz around McBain on many hockey websites and mags right now. Nice to see, actually. But I think there should be a bit more buzz around Sutter, IMO.
While I agree, I would have to think it's because McBain had such a good 14 game coming out party. With Sutter, he was non-existent as a rookie in his 50 game outing. Though he had a great sophomore year, he'll get his buzz I would imagine if he turns it on this season. His recognition will come in due time, if he earns it. I'm not even sure he will earn that spotlite, to be honest. He likely will from the Canes fanbase, however I still have beliefs he'll hover around the 50 point mark this season and while that is good for Sutter this soon, I don't really think it'll be enough to create a buzz around him in the public eye of the hockey world. Unless of course he notches 30 goals, if so, he'll be of some talk.

My gut feeling is Sutter will tap out at an average 50-55 point guy (20-25 goals, 25-30 assists). I have a hard time seeing 60-70. He may very well hit the 60-65 mark a time or two, but I don't expect it to be his average. I hope he could potentially one day reach those heights, I just have my doubts. I don't think he's got the natural tools to compile those statistics. His biggest assets are his mind for the game, heart and hustle. I still think he's lacking in the skating department (though he was better last season), his hands in my opinion aren't the greatest even though he has his moments where he can surprise you a bit. I think his hustle and mind for the game will only take him so far in the statistical column. Nothing wrong with that, I still think he'll be a tremendous asset for many, many years. But i'm not someone who believes he's going to be a big points guy for us. With that said, I hope my gut feeling is wrong.

Last edited by Guerzy: 08-19-2010 at 01:30 PM.
Guerzy is online now   Reply With Quote