HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Minnesota #14 Prospect

View Poll Results: Who is the Wild's fourteenth-best prospect?
Joel Broda 0 0%
Dennis Endras 12 46.15%
Kristopher Foucault 2 7.69%
Petr Kalus 1 3.85%
Anton Khudobin 3 11.54%
Darcy Kuemper 0 0%
Sean Lorenz 0 0%
Carson McMillian 0 0%
Kyle Medvac 1 3.85%
Maxim Noreau 0 0%
Jarod Palmer 6 23.08%
Jere Sallinen 1 3.85%
Other (please explain) 0 0%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-16-2010, 06:43 PM
  #1
GopherState
Repeat Offender...
 
GopherState's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: X Marks The Spot
Posts: 22,829
vCash: 500
Minnesota #14 Prospect

Didn't see Zucker winning it in going-away fashion, but he's unlucky thirteen.

Current Rankings:
1. Mikael Granlund
2. Marco Scandella
3. Tyler Cuma
4. Casey Wellman
5. Cody Almond
6. Matt Hackett
7. Colton Gillies
8. Nate Prosser
9. Brett Bulmer
10. Johan Larsson
11. Erik Haula
12. Justin Falk
13. Jason Zucker

__________________
Blog: First Round Bust: A Cast of Thousands celebrating a rather dodgy track record of Minnesota Wild Drafting.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 07:10 PM
  #2
countrygentleman
John Frusciante
 
countrygentleman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 783
vCash: 500
This is such a depressing list of "prospects." After 6/7, it just goes downhill in a hurry.

countrygentleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 07:15 PM
  #3
NightSky
Registered User
 
NightSky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Europe
Posts: 123
vCash: 500
My rookie vote goes to Petr Kalus.

NightSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 07:23 PM
  #4
GopherState
Repeat Offender...
 
GopherState's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: X Marks The Spot
Posts: 22,829
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygentleman View Post
This is such a depressing list of "prospects." After 6/7, it just goes downhill in a hurry.
It's better than the last two years. That's basically stopping after 3/4.

GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 10:00 PM
  #5
Generic User
Moderator
Generic Moderator
 
Generic User's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Twin Cities
Country: United States
Posts: 7,179
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygentleman View Post
This is such a depressing list of "prospects." After 6/7, it just goes downhill in a hurry.
I disagree. One or (hopefully) two of Zucker, Bulmer and/or Larrson are bound to pan out and be good NHL players. I love Swede players so I'm a little partial to Larsson, but I'd be happy with any of them. Two years ago these polls wouldn't have been able to make it past 6 or 7 without anyone knowing who the "prospects" were.

Generic User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 10:04 PM
  #6
GopherState
Repeat Offender...
 
GopherState's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: X Marks The Spot
Posts: 22,829
vCash: 500
Palmer again. There's a reason why he was the #1 collegiate free agent.

GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 05:18 AM
  #7
State of Hockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Minny
Country: United States
Posts: 11,200
vCash: 500
So Endras has one outstanding WC and that places him ahead of the goalie that's shown extended stretches of great play in the AHL. Uh-huh.

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 09:22 AM
  #8
rynryn
Progress to the Mean
 
rynryn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Minny
Country: United States
Posts: 22,370
vCash: 50
kalus!

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 11:03 AM
  #9
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 24,390
vCash: 500
I disagree, Broda, Palmer, Endras, and Noreau are all pretty exciting players that could end up on an NHL roster. And considering we're way down at #14, that's an amazing thing.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 11:12 AM
  #10
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 24,390
vCash: 500
Just an indication of how far we've come, here were the Top 20 prospects in Spring 2008:

1. Josh Harding (good backup)
2. Colton Gillies (BUST)
3. Ondrej Fiala (BUST)
4. Benoit Pouliot (BUST)
5. Cal Clutterbuck (great 4th liner)
6. Petr Kalus (BUST)
7. Shawn Belle (BUST)
8. Clayton Stoner (6th/7th defenseman)
9. Danny Irmen (BUST)
10. Julien Sprunger (BUST)
11. Anton Khudobin (KHL-bound)
12. Ryan Jones (decent 3rd/4th liner)
13. Chris Hickey (BUST)
14. Morten Madsen (BUST)
15. Peter Olvecky (BUST)
16. Justin Falk (potential 5th/6th/7th defenseman)
17. Paul Albers (BUST)
18. Niko Hovinen (BUST)
19. Harri Ilvonen (BUST)
20. Roman Voloshenko ( BUST)

Right now our Top 20 is looking like:

1. Mikael Granlund
2. Marco Scandella
3. Tyler Cuma
4. Casey Wellman
5. Cody Almond
6. Matt Hackett
7. Colton Gillies
8. Nate Prosser
9. Brett Bulmer
10. Johan Larsson
11. Erik Haula
12. Justin Falk
13. Jason Zucker
Endras
Palmer
Broda
Noreau
Foucault
McMillan
Khudobin


Where's State of Hockey to tell us how awful Fletcher is again?

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 12:44 PM
  #11
Sanderson
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Posts: 4,823
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by State of Hockey View Post
So Endras has one outstanding WC and that places him ahead of the goalie that's shown extended stretches of great play in the AHL. Uh-huh.
Not commenting on who is better, but Endras has done far more than having played just one outstanding WC.

In 2008/09 he led his team into the playoffs, which Augsburg only managed twice before in the whole decade. Last season he carried a mediocre team into the finals, beating the far and away best team of the last five seasons (four titles), not to mention clear cut favorite (25 point lead over the 2nd place team), on the way.

If he had no other accomplishments, he wouldn't even have made the German roster for the last WC, hence it makes no sense to say that he has done nothing apart from having one great WC.

Sanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 03:00 PM
  #12
countrygentleman
John Frusciante
 
countrygentleman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 783
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Just an indication of how far we've come, here were the Top 20 prospects in Spring 2008:

1. Josh Harding (good backup)
2. Colton Gillies (BUST)
3. Ondrej Fiala (BUST)
4. Benoit Pouliot (BUST)
5. Cal Clutterbuck (great 4th liner)
6. Petr Kalus (BUST)
7. Shawn Belle (BUST)
8. Clayton Stoner (6th/7th defenseman)
9. Danny Irmen (BUST)
10. Julien Sprunger (BUST)
11. Anton Khudobin (KHL-bound)
12. Ryan Jones (decent 3rd/4th liner)
13. Chris Hickey (BUST)
14. Morten Madsen (BUST)
15. Peter Olvecky (BUST)
16. Justin Falk (potential 5th/6th/7th defenseman)
17. Paul Albers (BUST)
18. Niko Hovinen (BUST)
19. Harri Ilvonen (BUST)
20. Roman Voloshenko ( BUST)

Right now our Top 20 is looking like:

1. Mikael Granlund
2. Marco Scandella
3. Tyler Cuma
4. Casey Wellman
5. Cody Almond
6. Matt Hackett
7. Colton Gillies
8. Nate Prosser
9. Brett Bulmer
10. Johan Larsson
11. Erik Haula
12. Justin Falk
13. Jason Zucker
Endras
Palmer
Broda
Noreau
Foucault
McMillan
Khudobin


Where's State of Hockey to tell us how awful Fletcher is again?
That bold part is a joke, right? Well I'm optimistic that our prospects might be better than they were two years ago, it's impossible to definitively say that our list is better when literally fewer than 30-40 combined NHL games have been played by them. In two years from now, they all could be busts too. I'm sure we all thought we had great prospects in 08. What is there now that wasn't here then that will prevent the same thing happening: 15/20 are busts?

countrygentleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 10:03 PM
  #13
State of Hockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Minny
Country: United States
Posts: 11,200
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Just an indication of how far we've come, here were the Top 20 prospects in Spring 2008:
It's no indication at all. In 2+ years our current list could bust out as well. I suppose you don't remember that at one point Harding, Fiala, Pouliot, etc. were considered good prospects. What it does indicate is that the Wild are going backwards, and as such our prospect list has improved a small amount by higher drafting. I don't give praise for improving a crap prospect pool by being crap on the ice.

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 10:12 PM
  #14
GopherState
Repeat Offender...
 
GopherState's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: X Marks The Spot
Posts: 22,829
vCash: 500
Wait you don't? Then why do you keep promoting the idea of the Wild tanking?

GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 11:51 PM
  #15
LemaireisGOD
Registered User
 
LemaireisGOD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Nowhere, WI
Country: United States
Posts: 728
vCash: 500
Mile after wonderful mile of crap...

Quote:
Originally Posted by State of Hockey View Post
It's no indication at all. In 2+ years our current list could bust out as well. I suppose you don't remember that at one point Harding, Fiala, Pouliot, etc. were considered good prospects. What it does indicate is that the Wild are going backwards, and as such our prospect list has improved a small amount by higher drafting. I don't give praise for improving a crap prospect pool by being crap on the ice.
No, its improved by being rid of one of worst drafting guys in the league in Tommy Thompson. This team also benefitted from not trading away its picks like they were candy for limited returns. Yes, who picked Pouliot and Fiala, and Voloshenko? Thompson and Risebrough. They're gone and the drafting has improved. Coincidence? I think not.

LemaireisGOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2010, 01:09 AM
  #16
Jimmy McNulty
Registered User
 
Jimmy McNulty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 1,617
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by State of Hockey View Post
It's no indication at all. In 2+ years our current list could bust out as well. I suppose you don't remember that at one point Harding, Fiala, Pouliot, etc. were considered good prospects. What it does indicate is that the Wild are going backwards, and as such our prospect list has improved a small amount by higher drafting. I don't give praise for improving a crap prospect pool by being crap on the ice.
How exactly do you expect to improve a crap prospect pool by a large amount while not being a crap team on the ice?

Unless you blow up the entire roster and start from scratch, you can't just go out and turn the worst prospect pool into one of the best in a single year, which is what you seem to expect. It just doesn't work that way.

Jimmy McNulty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2010, 08:31 AM
  #17
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 24,390
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niko View Post
How exactly do you expect to improve a crap prospect pool by a large amount while not being a crap team on the ice?

Unless you blow up the entire roster and start from scratch, you can't just go out and turn the worst prospect pool into one of the best in a single year, which is what you seem to expect. It just doesn't work that way.
Drafting, signing undrafted free agents, and trades.

We substantially improved our prospect pool in about two years, as you can see above. And we never tanked.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2010, 09:52 AM
  #18
nickschultzfan
Registered User
 
nickschultzfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6,163
vCash: 500
Considering Zucker, who will have an impact in the NHL similiar to Clutterbuck (less hitting power, more skill), is #13, and Clutterbuck was at the top of our prospects before, I think the Wild are in much better shape than they used to be.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2010, 12:10 PM
  #19
North Metro Peewees
Registered User
 
North Metro Peewees's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Philly Stupid
Country: United States
Posts: 1,133
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygentleman View Post
This is such a depressing list of "prospects." After 6/7, it just goes downhill in a hurry.
Sorry but I have to completely disagree with your assessment. I believe the Wild will see several impact players off this list make the NHL in the next couple of seasons. Seriously, Jerod Palmer hasn't been rated yet and he was the top ranked college FA last season.

We will have a better handle where these prospects are mid-season next year but guys like Bulmer, Zucker and Larsson have top scoring winger potential and Granlund has a chance to be a top center.

North Metro Peewees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2010, 09:36 PM
  #20
Jimmy McNulty
Registered User
 
Jimmy McNulty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 1,617
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Drafting, signing undrafted free agents, and trades.

We substantially improved our prospect pool in about two years, as you can see above. And we never tanked.
I agree with your entire post, don't get me wrong. I'm just wondering exactly what certain posters expect in a single year; i.e. what more can you do than what CF has done to this point? Considering he started with the worst farm system in the league, I think he's done a pretty good job even though the Wild's prospect list wouldn't blow away the "folks on the main board."

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
Considering Zucker, who will have an impact in the NHL similiar to Clutterbuck (less hitting power, more skill), is #13, and Clutterbuck was at the top of our prospects before, I think the Wild are in much better shape than they used to be.
This is how I feel as well. Even the guys left on this list like Palmer and Noreau seem to be much better prospects than say, Kyle Medvec/Chris Hickey/Paul Albers/etc.


Last edited by Jimmy McNulty: 08-19-2010 at 09:43 PM.
Jimmy McNulty is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:40 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.