HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Canucks Sign F Bill Sweatt to 3-Year ELC, $900k per ($300k bonuses) Deal

Old
08-19-2010, 08:15 PM
James Duthie
Kadri is 3 Hunna

vCash: 500
Yargh yee Canucks steal Burkie booty

James Duthie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2010, 08:16 PM
DreamCatcher*

Here is another exceptionally detailed article of Sweatt:

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...s_bill_sweatt/

The article states he chose Colorado College because his brother was there so Lee may have been a huge factor for him choosing Canucks.

Quote:
Bill Sweatt can flat out fly. However, what sets Sweatt apart from so many other speedsters in the collegiate ranks, rookies or otherwise, is his ability to make plays at high speeds. He also has great acceleration with the ability to get up to the so-called “fourth gear” very quickly.

“In this day and age, regardless if it’s in college or the pros, speed kills. Billy has that and the ability to play the game at that speed,” said Owens. “Sometimes you get really fast people who can’t do anything with that speed, but Billy can. He can make plays at that speed. He’s a game breaker with his speed and he’s got very good offensive instincts for a youngster.”

DreamCatcher* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2010, 08:28 PM
metric

just reading the Leafs fans reaction and how they're all praising Mueller as some amazing player. Guess he would be top 6 on the Leafs though.

metric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2010, 08:33 PM
James Duthie
Kadri is 3 Hunna

Quote:
Originally Posted by metric View Post
just reading the Leafs fans reaction and how they're all praising Mueller as some amazing player. Guess he would be top 6 on the Leafs though.
Mueller is good.. I still would of liked Sweatt but meh Mueller is a good replacement.. I'm also probably thinking your gonna post that top six comment on the tsn comment section...

James Duthie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2010, 08:36 PM
Cocoa Crisp

Quote:
So how does Sweatt describe himself as a player?

“I would describe myself as an aggressive, fast player who’ll never give up on things. I’ll work my bag off for anybody and I’ll do whatever is asked of me no matter what as long as it helps the team win.”
When you're name is Sweatt, you've got to monitor your catch phrases carefully...

Cocoa Crisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2010, 09:02 PM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

vCash: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
Their college scoring says something: Brown wasn't even a very good college player, scoring 21 points in 77 games. Sweatt had 26 points in just his freshman year.
Bodes well. I hope the Moose give him tons of PK time.

Outside99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2010, 09:24 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
Doesn't matter now. Although it's funny reading Hawks fans talk crap about Sweatt because he didn't sign with them. I don't care, he was a free signing. If he works out, great, if not it didn't cost us anything.
Actually I and most Hawk fans are pissed he waited until this year to tell Hawks he didn't intend to sign with us

He should have informed us before then so we could have used him as trade bait last year at deadline or at this past deadline

I would say that is a fair reason to dislike him ,,, Wouldn't you agree?

As for Leaf fans hating him ,, They had his rights for 46 days ,,, I dont see any reason they can be angry. We told them when trade went down he would probably not sign with them

As for his potential ,, he is a poor man's Shean Donovan

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2010, 09:45 PM
Andy Dufresne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Actually I and most Hawk fans are pissed he waited until this year to tell Hawks he didn't intend to sign with us

He should have informed us before then so we could have used him as trade bait last year at deadline or at this past deadline

As for Leaf fans hating him ,, They had his rights for 46 days ,,, I dont see any reason they can be angry. We told them when trade went down he would probably not sign with them

How do you know that he had even decided not to sign before this year???

I mean carry that backwards a little bit more....and you all can be pissed he didn't tell you he wouldn't sign before you drafted him.

EDIT: and what trade value would a prospect like Sweatt even have after he told you that. Maple Leaf fans all say he was just a throw in with Versteeg. Are you pissed you didn't get a 6th or 7th round draft pick???

Andy Dufresne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2010, 10:00 PM
Scurr

It's obvious Gillis is going for the Stanley Cup/Calder Cup combo. Has that ever been done?

Scurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2010, 10:02 PM
Scurr

Quote:

I'm pretty sure you liked him more then that when he was your prospect... you going to fess up or should I start digging through posts?

Scurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2010, 10:16 PM
StrictlyCommercial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
It's obvious Gillis is going for the Stanley Cup/Calder Cup combo. Has that ever been done?
I think Detroit did it with Grand Rapids.

StrictlyCommercial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2010, 10:26 PM
Man Bear Pig

He's a decent spec but still a little raw. Likely needs at least a year in the American league. He just wanted too much money, he was looking for a contract similar to what Burke gave Tyler Bozak which is a cap hit of $3 million or so...obviously way too much is you've ever seen Bozak play compared to Sweatt. I think the biggest issue with him was actually his agent...he was talking a lot of smack on twitter and sounding like a 14 year old boy so Burke told him to take a hike and signed a better prospect in Mueller. Billy probably plays top 6 minutes in the AHL and in the NHL is likely a third liner playing an energy/secondary scoring role. Simply put, he's just too raw at this point to sign for the money he was looking for and considering his only true asset at this point is speed, he's a bit of a project. I don't know what Gillis signed him for but for his sake I hope it's not what he was looking for.

Man Bear Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2010, 10:31 PM
Reign Nateo

Solid signing. Anytime you're adding to your prospect depth, it's a good thing. He's speedy and aggressive. No harm in adding him at all.

Reign Nateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2010, 10:34 PM
Awesomesauce

The question I have is what exact rights do with have with him now? Is he a UFA at the end of his first contract? If so I would suspect that he wouldn't have any other intent then taking a year or 2 to prove himself in the A before taking the best offer.

This would line up for me if he believed he was taking maybe his only chance to play with his brother.

Should be interesting either way, sounds like a potential Raymond clone.

Awesomesauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2010, 10:37 PM
Reign Nateo

Leafs fans acting crazy...

What makes you think we care about Marcel Mueller? This thread is about the Canucks signing Bill Sweatt.

Reign Nateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2010, 10:40 PM
RobertKron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomesauce View Post
The question I have is what exact rights do with have with him now? Is he a UFA at the end of his first contract? If so I would suspect that he wouldn't have any other intent then taking a year or 2 to prove himself in the A before taking the best offer.

This would line up for me if he believed he was taking maybe his only chance to play with his brother.

Should be interesting either way, sounds like a potential Raymond clone.
It's like any ELC signing. He becomes an RFA at the end of the deal.

RobertKron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2010, 10:44 PM
tantalum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Bear Pig View Post
He's a decent spec but still a little raw. Likely needs at least a year in the American league. He just wanted too much money, he was looking for a contract similar to what Burke gave Tyler Bozak which is a cap hit of $3 million or so...obviously way too much is you've ever seen Bozak play compared to Sweatt. I think the biggest issue with him was actually his agent...he was talking a lot of smack on twitter and sounding like a 14 year old boy so Burke told him to take a hike and signed a better prospect in Mueller. Billy probably plays top 6 minutes in the AHL and in the NHL is likely a third liner playing an energy/secondary scoring role. Simply put, he's just too raw at this point to sign for the money he was looking for and considering his only true asset at this point is speed, he's a bit of a project. I don't know what Gillis signed him for but for his sake I hope it's not what he was looking for.
Could it be that he was asking for that money because he (gasp) knew he would become UFA in a few more weeks and likely have several suitors that he was more interested in joining? As hard as it is to believe, he may not have wanted to play for the Leafs organization unless they really really really made it worth his while. I know it's hard to believe a player not wanting to join the leafs but it does happen.

Personally this is a good signing for the canucks. It costs them nothing but money and the guy has to make the team and perform if any bonuses (we don't know what they are yet) are to be collected. Leaf fans can be happy at having Mueller the same things apply to him (no cost but money), but there is no need to run down Sweatt because he very well may not have wanted to play for them.

tantalum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2010, 10:46 PM
Man Bear Pig

Quote:
Mueller's a good prospect actually. I'm curious as to whether you even knew who Sweatt was a month ago? That's what I thought.

Old
08-19-2010, 10:48 PM
Awesomesauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW View Post
It's like any ELC signing. He becomes an RFA at the end of the deal.
Thanks that does make this a very intriguing signing, and not necessarily because of Sweatt himself. Could this be (at least partially) someone signing with the Canucks because they seem to be moving in the direction of becoming a tier 1 origination?

I was very skeptical of Gillis, and I don't necessarily agree with all of his hockey moves but in very way outside of the direct hockey deals their is no doubt that he has pushed the Canucks near the top of the league.

Old
08-19-2010, 10:50 PM
Awesomesauce

Quote:
Mueller's a good prospect actually. I'm curious as to whether you even knew who Sweatt was a month ago? That's what I thought.
Actually there was some discussion about Bill when his brother Lee was signed, some speculated then that Gillis might be interested in Bill in the unlikely event that he became available. While I personally had/have little knowledge of him, it became clear at that time that several board members had more then a passing familiarity with the player.

Old
08-19-2010, 10:51 PM
RobertKron

Quote:
It's not common to know about former 2nd rounders who have played at the U18s and WJHC?

Anyway, I'm sure the Leafs are thrilled with Mike Zigomanis' upside instead of Sweatt.

RobertKron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2010, 10:54 PM
Finkle is Einhorn

Quote:

Unless I'm missing something, or you have an irrationally high opinion of Shean Donovan, why would you or any other Hawks fan be "pissed" that a prospect failed to inform the team of his intention not to sign, when he tops out to be a poor man's version of a middling forward? Something's not adding up there.

Finkle is Einhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2010, 10:54 PM
Man Bear Pig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomesauce View Post
Actually there was some discussion about Bill when his brother Lee was signed, some speculated then that Gillis might be interested in Bill in the unlikely event that he became available. While I personally had/have little knowledge of him, it became clear at that time that several board members had more then a passing familiarity with the player.
That's not really what I was saying though. I was trying to point out that 99% of the people outside of maybe the Hawks board knew pretty much nothing about the guy. I'm sure there were many people saying Lee's brother Billy may come over, how many people were searching google or whatever trying to find something on him? To me it's the same thing as when some kid gets drafted in the 6'th round. People have no clue as to who the kid is but they get excited because it's new blood. One paragraph and some stats does it for some people.

Old
08-19-2010, 10:55 PM
Man Bear Pig

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW View Post
It's not common to know about former 2nd rounders who have played at the U18s and WJHC?

Anyway, I'm sure the Leafs are thrilled with Mike Zigomanis' upside instead of Sweatt.
I remember when Canucks fans were excited to get Wellwood.

Old
08-19-2010, 10:57 PM
VanEric

I literally cackled when I saw this. Seriously. I don't even know much or care much about him as a player but I just have to give Gillis an attaboy for doing this.

Brian Burke shoulda seen the brother signing end-a-round coming! He did it with the Niedermayers.

VanEric is offline   Reply With Quote