HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Signed Team + Cap

Old
08-20-2010, 07:33 AM
Anca18

vCash: 200
Signed Team + Cap

FORWARDS
Milan Michalek ($4.333m) / Jason Spezza ($7.000m) / Daniel Alfredsson ($4.875m)
Peter Regin ($1.000m) / Mike Fisher ($4.200m) / Alexei Kovalev ($5.000m)
Nick Foligno ($1.200m) / Chris Kelly ($2.125m) / Chris Neil ($2.000m)
Jarkko Ruutu ($1.300m) / Zack Smith ($0.583m) / Roman Wick ($0.625m)
Jesse Winchester ($0.750m)

DEFENSEMEN
Sergei Gonchar ($5.500m) / Filip Kuba ($3.700m)
Erik Karlsson ($1.300m) / Chris Campoli ($1.400m)
Chris Phillips ($3.500m) / Jared Cowen ($1.295m)
Matt Carkner ($0.700m)

GOALTENDERS
Pascal Leclaire ($3.800m) / Brian Elliott ($0.850m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS
(these totals are compiled using the bonus cushion)
ROSTER: 22; CAP:$59.4m; PAYROLL: $58.966m; CAP ROOM: $0.434m; BONUSES: $0.850m

If these lineups are gonna happen, we would have to have traded Ryan Shannon for a pick, Jared Cowen, Roman Wick and Zack Smith all making the team. And if you're wondering why Kuba is up with Gonchar well, they're both offensive defensmen, Campoli is with Karlsson, and if Cowen makes the team he'll learn loads from Phillips as a defensive defensmen.

Anca18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 07:37 AM
source

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker5123 View Post
FORWARDS

DEFENSEMEN
Matt Carkner ($0.700m)

GOALTENDERS

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS
Nice try.

source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 07:51 AM
Zillaege

With Clouston, his lines get juggled so often it's difficult to make any single prediction. He doesn't waste any time waiting for lines to find chemistry, so if a line starts struggling he's gonna shake things up. It does make us a harder team to match up against, as we can give a lot of different looks.

Also worth consideration, is what pairing you play coming out of a PP or a PK. Ideally you always have one of your top 2 pairs ready to go, to maximize their ice time. Say for example Cowen makes the team, and starts on the bottom pair with Carkner. You have 3 obvious PKers in Phillips, Carkner, and Cowen in that case, and you're then left with the question of do we use Kuba or Gonchar as the 4th PKer. It would be nice to ease up Gonchar's minutes, and have Kuba be the 4th PKer, but PKers normally work in 40 second segments, ie. you start with Phillips - Kuba, then go Cowen - Carkner, then back to Phillips - Kuba, and then neither of the top 2 pairs are rested coming out of the PK, meaning you have to either throw Gonchar - Karlsson together, or start with Cowen - Carkner. It's a bit of a dilemma.

Zillaege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 08:23 AM
SensHero

Quote:
FORWARDS

DEFENSEMEN
Matt Carkner ($0.700m)

GOALTENDERS

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS

If these lineups are gonna happen, we would have to have traded Ryan Shannon for a pick, Jared Cowen, Roman Wick and Zack Smith all making the team. And if you're wondering why Kuba is up with Gonchar well, they're both offensive defensmen, Campoli is with Karlsson, and if Cowen makes the team he'll learn loads from Phillips as a defensive defensmen.
And Brian Lee as well.

SensHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 09:20 AM
Anca18

Quote:
Originally Posted by source View Post
Nice try.
Thank you, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensHero View Post
And Brian Lee as well.
Maybe, I still thing he might have a change as a seventh d-man. But if he doesn't make the big league this season or maybe the next, he should get traded...it haunts me to think that we could've had Marc Staal or even Kopitar...

Old
08-20-2010, 09:27 AM
Lenny the Lynx

Quote:
it haunts me to think that we could've had Marc Staal or even Kopitar...
Get over it

Lenny the Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 09:49 AM
SensHero

Quote:
Thank you, lol.

Maybe, I still thing he might have a change as a seventh d-man. But if he doesn't make the big league this season or maybe the next, he should get traded...it haunts me to think that we could've had Marc Staal or even Kopitar...
That's Mucklers drafting for you.

Old
08-20-2010, 10:39 AM
SENSfreak_03

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumperStumper View Post
Get over it
This will be the new, "SBP should have been built downtown", many will never get over it.

SENSfreak_03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 10:43 AM
This
That

Quote:
FORWARDS

DEFENSEMEN
Matt Carkner ($0.700m)

GOALTENDERS

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS

Really?

Edit: I have a real problem with this, you have Karlsson and Campoli together. they should be learning from more experienced guys, especially Karlsson. You also have Phillips, a top shut down defenseman, in the bottom pairing. And then having Kuba and Gonchar in the same pairing, why not spread out the production? This was the problem before, one shut down pairing who couldn't move the puck up the ice. You are going back to the same formula why?

Last edited by This: 08-20-2010 at 10:51 AM.
This is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 10:44 AM
GK
Not Jeeks

man, we need way more cap space..
thats depressing.

GK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 10:56 AM
This
That

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoncharKarlsson View Post
thats depressing.
Why? We have a full roster, along with bottom six and defensive depth. We have a few players who can step in for top 6 injuries, both in Bingo and in the bottom 6 (Foligno). This is probably one of the better situations we have been in regarding our overall depth and ability to cover injuries in a long time. We are ~ 1.5 Million under the cap without Cowen in the lineup.

We are fine.

Old
08-20-2010, 11:01 AM
Lenny the Lynx

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoncharKarlsson View Post
thats depressing.
This list is a bit off. Wick shouldn't be on it, and neither should Cowen. Then you add Lee - it will be about 1.5M total.

If Wick or Cowen make the team someone has to be traded.

Also I agree with others that these D pairings suck

Lenny the Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 11:10 AM
DefenseMinister

Don't overthink it:

Phillips-Gonchar
Kuba-Karlsson
Campoli-Carkner
Lee

Barring injuries or something really out of the ordinary taking place, those are your pairings.

Based on Dorion's comments on the Team in an interview a week or two ago, the Sens have downgraded their expectations for Cowen being in the position to compete for a spot based on his recovery from mono. Before that happened, the defense was a little more unpredictable but now that they're fairly certain Cowen won't be ready for an NHL job out of camp, they'll just go with what they have.

Ryan Shannon also isn't going anywhere. They're the ones who gave him the 1 way deal, they'll have to live with it.

DefenseMinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 01:10 PM
c_mak

Send a message via MSN to c_mak
I think that Camploi and Kuba should play together because both are hybrids some physicality buts most puck movers. I would prefer to have Karlsson with Carkner so he is protected from people running at him

c_mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 01:11 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

One thing I like about Clouston is that he plays everyone with everyone. It hurts chemistry in the beginning but pays dividends once injuries set in. Since a large part of our team is returning, there should be a lot of established chemistry throughout the lineup.

The set up I'm most curious about is how he'll arrange the 1st PP unit. Will Kovalev be there? Hard to say. You can't really leave Spezza or Alfredsson off the unit and you need one of Fisher, Michalek or Foligno to screen the goalie or else we're just running a passing drill out there.

I'd go with an umbrella with Gonchar on the point, Karlsson roaming, Spezza and Alfredsson on the half walls and Michalek in front.

Then you can give Kovalev his own unit where everything goes through him. He'd have Fisher, Regin, Kuba and Campoli to work with. Not a bad second unit imo.

FolignoQuantumLeap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 01:12 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_mak View Post
I think that Camploi and Kuba should play together because both are hybrids some physicality buts most puck movers. I would prefer to have Karlsson with Carkner so he is protected from people running at him
Karlsson and Carkner both play the right side. Kuba and Camoli play the left side.

FolignoQuantumLeap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 01:23 PM
The Waffler
Can wipe my own ass!

Regin-Spezza-Foligno
Michalek-Fisher-Alfredsson
Wick*-Smith-Kovalev
Ruutu-Kelly-Neil

*Shannon/Winchester

Gonchar-Phillips
Karlsson-Kuba
Carkner*-Campoli*

*Lee, Cowen, maybe Wiercioch.

This is my first game line-up. They will change, they will change a lot and often. CC does a lot of line juggling, so the groups never stay together.

The Waffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 01:42 PM
This
That

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Waffler View Post
Regin-Spezza-Foligno
Michalek-Fisher-Alfredsson
Wick*-Smith-Kovalev
Ruutu-Kelly-Neil

*Shannon/Winchester

Gonchar-Phillips
Karlsson-Kuba
Carkner*-Campoli*

*Lee, Cowen, maybe Wiercioch.

This is my first game line-up. They will change, they will change a lot and often. CC does a lot of line juggling, so the groups never stay together.

Only thing I would be wary of is the top line. Nothing against either Regin or Foligno, I think they are both awesome, but they really haven't proved to me yet that they should play on the top line. Although I do like Alfie on the second, so I flip Michalek up and Foligno/Regin down.

Then we are rolling a 1st, 2nda, and 2nd b line. Although that may be more like 2a 2b 2c lines. Hmmm.

Old
08-20-2010, 01:57 PM
SensHero

Quote:
Originally Posted by This View Post
Only thing I would be wary of is the top line. Nothing against either Regin or Foligno, I think they are both awesome, but they really haven't proved to me yet that they should play on the top line. Although I do like Alfie on the second, so I flip Michalek up and Foligno/Regin down.

Then we are rolling a 1st, 2nda, and 2nd b line. Although that may be more like 2a 2b 2c lines. Hmmm.
The way i look at it is, whatever line Alfie is on is considered the 1st line. I use Alfie to determine the 1st line before i use Spezza. Spezza is definitely a #1 centre, but Alfie is also a #1 right winger.

Old
08-20-2010, 02:46 PM
This
That

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensHero View Post
The way i look at it is, whatever line Alfie is on is considered the 1st line. I use Alfie to determine the 1st line before i use Spezza. Spezza is definitely a #1 centre, but Alfie is also a #1 right winger.
I'm not sure I agree with that. In the past that may have been a way of looking at it, but Alfie did show signs of slowing down last season. Spezza did not (when he actually played). I'd argue that Alfie should be on the second line, so he can maintain his level of play into the playoffs.

For arguments sake, lets take a look at the lines I was talking about, and shuffle them.

Regin - Fisher - Alfie and Michalek - Spezza - Foligno(Kovalev)

I would much rather roll the second of those as my first line. Sure, Alfie may still be considered an elite winger, but as soon as you get rid of the elite centre, his numbers and play plummet. The centre does a lot more than you are giving credit for.

In it's purest form, 1st line centre > 1st line winger, of course there are exceptions, but Alfredsson is no Ovechkin.

Old
08-20-2010, 02:47 PM
The Waffler
Can wipe my own ass!

I would take too much from the line ups. I wouldn't be surprised to see Ruutu playing with Alfie and Shannon, or something like that. If I remember correctly CC had Heatley playing with Winchester 2 seasons ago.

Just don't put too much stock into what people are saying, because we can predict the starting line up for the first night, but they'll never stay the same all season.

The Waffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 03:48 PM
DefenseMinister

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_mak View Post
How would Carkner protect Karlsson? If teams are going to take runs at him, it's not going to matter who his partner is, they won't care. Karlsson has been an undersized guy all his life and has adapted his game so that he can avoid those kinds of hits anyways. If anyone can point to any incidents last year where Karlsson got laid out or was put in a dangerous position, please enlighten me. He was the same whether he was paired with Kuba, Campoli or Sutton (all partners at various times).

Dude can take care of himself.

DefenseMinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 04:35 PM
c_mak

Send a message via MSN to c_mak
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefenseMinister View Post
How would Carkner protect Karlsson? If teams are going to take runs at him, it's not going to matter who his partner is, they won't care. Karlsson has been an undersized guy all his life and has adapted his game so that he can avoid those kinds of hits anyways. If anyone can point to any incidents last year where Karlsson got laid out or was put in a dangerous position, please enlighten me. He was the same whether he was paired with Kuba, Campoli or Sutton (all partners at various times).

Dude can take care of himself.
Are you telling me that other teams would not take notice of the fact that if the ran Karlson his partner would go over and beat the tar out of them at at that moment. That getting your nose broke for running someone is no deterrent whatsoever. I think it would.
More importantly though they both play the right side so it might not be a good idea.

Last edited by c_mak: 08-20-2010 at 04:41 PM.
c_mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 04:48 PM
Anca18

Quote:
Originally Posted by This View Post
Really?

Edit: I have a real problem with this, you have Karlsson and Campoli together. they should be learning from more experienced guys, especially Karlsson. You also have Phillips, a top shut down defenseman, in the bottom pairing. And then having Kuba and Gonchar in the same pairing, why not spread out the production? This was the problem before, one shut down pairing who couldn't move the puck up the ice. You are going back to the same formula why?
I know my defense pairing suck, I put them together based on what type of player they are, Kuba is offensive, so is Gonchar, hence they Gonchar-Kuba line. Phillips is defensive, if Cowen makes the team, he would learn a lot of Phillips. Campoli and Karlsson are together because of the same reason for the Kuba-Gonchar line.

Again, I know my defense pairings suck, lol.

Old
08-20-2010, 04:58 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

vCash: 50
As long as the Sens win i won't give damn one bit about our lineup in the upcoming season. Then again, i don't think Clouston will care too.

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote