HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Protecting the stick's blade?

Old
08-20-2010, 02:45 AM
fasterthanlight

vCash: 50
Protecting the stick's blade?

Hello!

I play in a beer league where it is common for players to play 2 or 3 games in a row. Recently, I snapped my stick's blade in half, which wasn't unexpected, because the bottom of it was splintering etc.

I bought a new, nicer stick and want to do a better job protecting the blade of it. I just got back from playing 3 games, and the tape is completely split from heel to toe exposing the stick itself. Unfortunately, there isn't enough time in between games to re-tape the stick.

I do put the extra piece of tape on the bottom of the blade, and sometimes even double it up, but it seems to not make a difference.

Is there anything I can do aside from learning how to tape faster?

Thanks.

fasterthanlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 02:48 AM
Semak

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasterthanlight View Post
Hello!

I play in a beer league where it is common for players to play 2 or 3 games in a row. Recently, I snapped my stick's blade in half, which wasn't unexpected, because the bottom of it was splintering etc.

I bought a new, nicer stick and want to do a better job protecting the blade of it. I just got back from playing 3 games, and the tape is completely split from heel to toe exposing the stick itself. Unfortunately, there isn't enough time in between games to re-tape the stick.

I do put the extra piece of tape on the bottom of the blade, and sometimes even double it up, but it seems to not make a difference.

Thanks.
I saw pros rubbing wax on the bottom and tried it myself. It helps. I didn't know what kind of wax it was so I bought some cheap candles

Semak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 03:30 AM
RewBicks

Quote:
Hello!

Thanks.
There's that rubberized stuff Willie Mitchell was shilling for a few years ago. Doesn't sound like you wax it, which would be a good idea. All you really need is a candle, it keeps water from getting into the seams (but this won't prevent your tape from wearing over that many games. Honestly, you just need to learn to tape your stick faster. With a little practice, you'll be able to do it in under a minute. If I was really pressed, I could do the whole thing in about 10-15 seconds.

RewBicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 09:59 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Unfortunately, there isn't enough time in between games to re-tape the stick.

Just a random thought, but maybe you could keep a roll of tape on the bench and put a new piece on the bottom when it starts to chew up. You could easily do that between shifts.

Also you could think about re-taping in between periods. Start pulling your current tape off when you get to the bench from your last shift, and you should have enough time to wrap it before the next period starts.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 11:24 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

It takes 15 seconds to retape a stick...you don't have 15 seconds?

What stick are you using?

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 12:14 PM
BlackDog13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
It takes 15 seconds to retape a stick...you don't have 15 seconds?

What stick are you using?
I'm inclined to agree, it's a pretty simple process.

BlackDog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 12:17 PM
Blueland89

Willie mitchell uses that blade tape you can by it for about $12 it seems to work pretty good

Here's a link to some on Total hockey
http://www.totalhockey.com/Product.a...d=142&div_id=2

Blueland89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 01:35 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Willie Mitchell endorses Bladetape which doesn't cover the bottom of the blade.

If your new stick is composite instead of wood, it will last much longer.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 01:44 PM
PuckHogs29

If you don't have time to re-tape your stick in between games I wanna meet your zamboni driver and be his NASCAR agent. I go with one of those fancy shmancy tape jobs that covers the whole toe of the blade and I can get it done in just a minute or two. Waxing the blade will help too.

Are you playing roller hockey and not ice by any chance? That's the only reason I can think of for tape to be wearing off that quickly on the bottom. I've had to replace my tape on a game to game basis if I'm lucky enough to get the puck all night, catching hard passes can tear the tape but just from the blade being on the ice? Sounds weird.

PuckHogs29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 01:46 PM
Blueland89

I play roller I would just suggest especially in roller just buy an extra stick and keep it taped. I have to of the same sticks and use them.

Or try something I've found it myself used to do it to my shoes in basketball and tried it on my stick worked descent no revalation but works spray some hairspray on it for extra grip. you can just patch up the spots where its breaking off when your sitin on the bench waiting to ice the ice/courst and spray it down

Blueland89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 02:57 PM
Sojourn
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Hello!

Thanks.
Re-tape it between games. Make sure you dry the blade off before you start applying a new tape job. If you play roller hockey I'd recommend adding a strip of tape to the bottom before taping the blade. It's not much, but it can help with the wear and tear. I wouldn't add more than one that one strip.

I don't do it myself, but I know some players who swear by waxing the tape too. They feel it adds some tackiness to the tape, helps keep ice off it, and gives it an extra layer of protection. I can't tell you if that's true, but they seem to like it. I'm not sure how this would work in roller hockey, or even if it would apply.

Beyond that, I'm not sure there is much you can do. The blade is going to take a beating at times. Personally, I always have two or three sticks of the same type with me at all times, so I also rotate through my sticks. I also always re-tape my stick before every game. Not all of them, but whichever one I used last. It's become a bit of a superstition for me. It doesn't feel right if I don't do it. I go through tape a lot quicker though.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 01:29 AM
qwertysac

Quote:
Unfortunately, there isn't enough time in between games to re-tape the stick.

REALLY? lmao

qwertysac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 04:51 AM
TheHMan

Waxing or Ruberizing stuff on top of the tape can help keep the tape from getting wet and weakening. If you do a protection strip on the bottom of the blade, do a regular taping over top of that, and wax the bottom that's really the best you can do.

If it keeps wearing, just do a quick re-taping job during the game.

TheHMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 07:51 PM
fasterthanlight

Thanks for the help everyone-- I checked out the Willie Mitchell peel stick tape, and I'm more worried about the bottom of the blade... I just need to tape faster...

I know I'm pretty lame, but I am somewhat OCD about taping my stick... I normally put 3-4 different pieces of tape on the blade instead of 1 so there are no folds, and I use the wider stick tape for the bottom and thinner stick tape for the wraps themselves. I tape over the toe and I cut it really close, and I also put exactly 2 extra strips over the heel... Normally takes me around 5-7 minutes. If I wrap unevenly, I usually just start over.

Haha, I'll try to tape faster though, and get over my somewhat OCD behaviors... thanks guys/gals!

fasterthanlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 10:41 AM
vivianmb

Friction Tape.

vivianmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 08:24 PM
dpixel8

strip of tape on the bottom edge, heel to toe (or wherever you start and end your taping normally), then tape over that.

dpixel8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 08:26 PM
dpixel8

Quote:
Thanks for the help everyone-- I checked out the Willie Mitchell peel stick tape, and I'm more worried about the bottom of the blade... I just need to tape faster...

I know I'm pretty lame, but I am somewhat OCD about taping my stick... I normally put 3-4 different pieces of tape on the blade instead of 1 so there are no folds, and I use the wider stick tape for the bottom and thinner stick tape for the wraps themselves. I tape over the toe and I cut it really close, and I also put exactly 2 extra strips over the heel... Normally takes me around 5-7 minutes. If I wrap unevenly, I usually just start over.

Haha, I'll try to tape faster though, and get over my somewhat OCD behaviors... thanks guys/gals!

not laughing AT you, but what the hell man. nobody ever teach you how to tape a stick? I don't even understand what you meant by different pieces. You trying to make it look pretty or something?

dpixel8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 03:29 PM
jsykes

Quote:

Even still, I dont know where you're playing that there isnt at least 10 minutes between games. You should still have plenty of time.

jsykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 07:18 AM
Cams

Try using the Toe Pro stuff, that you would use to protect the toe of the skate. Brush it on, and let it dry. It dries hard, and you can tape over it.

Cams is offline   Reply With Quote