HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

What's going on? Part 2

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-20-2010, 12:33 PM
  #1
Oilerdiehard
Registered User
 
Oilerdiehard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,458
vCash: 500
What's going on? Part 2

Continue that thread discussion in here please.


Post carried over from the last thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimensha View Post
I couldn't listen to this regularly, but a couple days of the Gene Principe trainwreck show is pretty entertaining to listen to. Principe clearly won't be getting his own radio show anytime soon
Yeah that was a pretty clunky show yesterday. Gene seems to have a knack to say something awkward (without ever seeming to notice he is being that way) and never seems to know when to move on with the conversation or switch topics.


Last edited by Oilerdiehard: 08-20-2010 at 12:48 PM.
Oilerdiehard is offline  
Old
08-20-2010, 12:45 PM
  #2
abootzky
Registered User
 
abootzky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,012
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally by heybate
According the Nielson's Twitter, Fraser is joining the morning show as the producer. Doesn't look like there will be any subtraction. Not sure where this leaves ESNL. I can't see Wil doing a morning show and a late night show, but I guess anything is possible.
Kyle Chase either has pictures of Astral Radio management with livestock or is working for free. The guy's been on the air for a year and still can't take over the show by himself when Nielson's not there.

abootzky is offline  
Old
08-20-2010, 12:46 PM
  #3
Giant Moo
Registered User
 
Giant Moo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,110
vCash: 500





Giant Moo is offline  
Old
08-20-2010, 01:14 PM
  #4
Gret99zky
Worst Thread Ever
 
Gret99zky's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Gamma Quadrant
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,579
vCash: 6964
The Mike Richards show on the FAN 960 is very good IMO.

I listen to the FAN in the morning and the TEAM on the way home.

Gret99zky is offline  
Old
08-20-2010, 01:22 PM
  #5
WayneHemsky
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 89
vCash: 500
anything good to listen to on other team/fan stations while jim rome is on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gret99zky View Post
The Mike Richards show on the FAN 960 is very good IMO.

I listen to the FAN in the morning and the TEAM on the way home.

WayneHemsky is offline  
Old
08-20-2010, 01:22 PM
  #6
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid
 
guymez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,689
vCash: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gret99zky View Post
The Mike Richards show on the FAN 960 is very good IMO.

I listen to the FAN in the morning and the TEAM on the way home.
I agree.
Mike Richards is excellent. No comparison between morning show on 960 and 1260. The 1260 morning show sounds amateurish when you put it up against Mike Richards.

guymez is offline  
Old
08-20-2010, 01:56 PM
  #7
Dorian2
The bag don't lie.
 
Dorian2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,451
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Moo View Post
First thing I saw re: Rush, Canada's only real supergroup, on these boards. And the old time Caress of Steel is a great album BTW.....JMO..sorry for the aside folks, carry on complaining about the radio hosts

Dorian2 is offline  
Old
08-21-2010, 06:28 PM
  #8
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone
 
jumptheshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: hf retirement home
Country: United Nations
Posts: 52,292
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by abootzky View Post
Kyle Chase either has pictures of Astral Radio management with livestock or is working for free. The guy's been on the air for a year and still can't take over the show by himself when Nielson's not there.
Based upon an off the cuff comment a few weeks ago. It sounds like partly has to do with kyle having access to his brothers phone book sometimes

__________________
trying to fend off exwife number 2
45000/010113
GO SHARKS GO
jumptheshark is offline  
Old
08-21-2010, 06:48 PM
  #9
reginaoil
 
reginaoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Regina
Country: Canada
Posts: 804
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
Based upon an off the cuff comment a few weeks ago. It sounds like partly has to do with kyle having access to his brothers phone book sometimes

The other part would be who his sister is and those connections.


Last edited by reginaoil: 08-21-2010 at 06:55 PM.
reginaoil is offline  
Old
08-21-2010, 07:23 PM
  #10
Sammy*
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,501
vCash: 500
I especially like it with his primordial grunts of "you'r stupid", "your an idiot" "your a moron"...etc.
What a brutal co-host.
And he drops who is brother is so many times its sickening, as well as the fact his kid is/was a decent bantam player. I gotta believe he was /is the hockey parent from hell.

Sammy* is offline  
Old
08-21-2010, 09:21 PM
  #11
abootzky
Registered User
 
abootzky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,012
vCash: 500
As someone who follows the AJHL a fair bit and the Sherwood Park Crusaders in particular, Kyle Chase and his cronies are doing a fine job with that sometimes downtrodden franchise. Of course that has nothing to do with his abilities as an on-air radio personality. All I know is that Bryn & Jake each had about 20 years of broadcasting experience, while Dustin Neilson has less than 10 years and Chase has a year (in what's really a part-time role). While that's irrelevant when it comes to measuring to how good either morning show was/is, it does reflect on which show was costing Astral more in salaries. My hope is that by making Wil Fraser Neilson & Chase's producer, the TEAM will begin the process of relegating Chase to the role of occasional phone-in guest.

abootzky is offline  
Old
08-21-2010, 09:32 PM
  #12
metallicat
@metallicat51
 
metallicat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Edmonton AB, Canada
Country: Ireland
Posts: 6,391
vCash: 500
Who is his brother?

metallicat is offline  
Old
08-21-2010, 09:34 PM
  #13
abootzky
Registered User
 
abootzky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,012
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat View Post
Who is his brother?
Former St. Louis Blues enforcer and current broadcaster Kelly Chase. His brother in-law is TSN's Darren Dutchyshen.

abootzky is offline  
Old
08-21-2010, 10:13 PM
  #14
Gret99zky
Worst Thread Ever
 
Gret99zky's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Gamma Quadrant
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,579
vCash: 6964
Quote:
Originally Posted by abootzky View Post
the TEAM will begin the process of relegating Chase to the role of occasional phone-in guest.


C'mon tell us what you really think of Chaser.

Gret99zky is offline  
Old
08-22-2010, 12:15 AM
  #15
Hockey Fan #751
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,455
vCash: 500
I heard The Team 1260 is getting rid of The Jim Rome Show.

Hockey Fan #751 is offline  
Old
08-22-2010, 12:49 AM
  #16
TowMater14
Registered User
 
TowMater14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: OIL COUNTRY
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,813
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Fan #751 View Post
I heard The Team 1260 is getting rid of The Jim Rome Show.
Why would they be getting rid of the Jim Rome show? Why WOULD they be getting rid of the Jim Rome show?.......Why....................... would they be getting rid of the Jim Rome show? Why would they........................... be getting rid of the Jim Rome show? Why?

TowMater14 is offline  
Old
08-22-2010, 02:19 AM
  #17
Unsustainable
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Unsustainable's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Lloydminster, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,122
vCash: 500
Lol ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Unsustainable is offline  
Old
08-22-2010, 02:36 AM
  #18
AK Dandyman
Registered User
 
AK Dandyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,032
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowMater14 View Post
Why would they be getting rid of the Jim Rome show? Why WOULD they be getting rid of the Jim Rome show?.......Why....................... would they be getting rid of the Jim Rome show? Why would they........................... be getting rid of the Jim Rome show? Why?

AK Dandyman is offline  
Old
08-22-2010, 04:02 AM
  #19
Gret99zky
Worst Thread Ever
 
Gret99zky's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Gamma Quadrant
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,579
vCash: 6964
Hilarious.

Rack Him.

Repeating all that.

Taking the time to type that over and over and over and over.

Huge type of the day.

Still waiting for a decent call. Call in but don't suck. BRB.

Hey do you still have the same password since 1998?

Gret99zky is offline  
Old
08-22-2010, 05:38 PM
  #20
Oilerguy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 15
vCash: 500
The morning show is 1000 times better than Bryn and Jake.

Chase and Nielsen are both good. I have no problem with Chase. At least they talk about SPORTS which is nice to have on a sport radio.

They do a good job of getting guests from all over north america to talk about teams in their city.

Oilerguy is offline  
Old
08-22-2010, 05:59 PM
  #21
abootzky
Registered User
 
abootzky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,012
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerguy View Post
The morning show is 1000 times better than Bryn and Jake.

Chase and Nielsen are both good. I have no problem with Chase. At least they talk about SPORTS which is nice to have on a sport radio.

They do a good job of getting guests from all over north america to talk about teams in their city.
I like the guest-heavy format of the current morning show better than the old one with its tired comedy routines. Unfortunately Chase is an obnoxious anchor on Neilson who's actually a pretty decent young broadcaster. I'd love to hear what Dustin could do with an articulate/intelligent person in the co-host chair. In the meantime, I'll keep switching to satellite as soon as I get in the car to go to work each morning.

abootzky is offline  
Old
08-22-2010, 09:12 PM
  #22
Sammy*
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,501
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by abootzky View Post
I like the guest-heavy format of the current morning show better than the old one with its tired comedy routines. Unfortunately Chase is an obnoxious anchor on Neilson who's actually a pretty decent young broadcaster. I'd love to hear what Dustin could do with an articulate/intelligent person in the co-host chair. In the meantime, I'll keep switching to satellite as soon as I get in the car to go to work each morning.
Ditto.
3/4 of Chase centers around his brother or something to do with his kid, in a not too subtle way.

Sammy* is offline  
Old
08-22-2010, 09:48 PM
  #23
metallicat
@metallicat51
 
metallicat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Edmonton AB, Canada
Country: Ireland
Posts: 6,391
vCash: 500
There is no way they get rid of Rome. No chance. He has survived every single change, Sporting News, ESPN, Fox, ESPN, Fox...etc.

metallicat is offline  
Old
08-22-2010, 10:19 PM
  #24
Dimensha
Registered User
 
Dimensha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 407
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat View Post
There is no way they get rid of Rome. No chance. He has survived every single change, Sporting News, ESPN, Fox, ESPN, Fox...etc.
Agree, if they got rid of his show what would they fill the time slot with? More local programming, that spends three more hours a day re hashing the same stuff that will be talked about during the other several hours of local programming? Or ESPN, which discusses the same topics Rome does(and in my personal opinion in a less entertaining manner) ? Or maybe a Canadian national program that talks about Toronto sports for 3 hours ( 1 hour of bob Mcowan is more than enough for that). I'll take Rome over those options please!

Dimensha is offline  
Old
08-22-2010, 10:35 PM
  #25
Belcriss
Its summer
 
Belcriss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Ont.
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,644
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Belcriss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
First thing I saw re: Rush, Canada's only real supergroup, on these boards. And the old time Caress of Steel is a great album BTW.....JMO..sorry for the aside folks, carry on complaining about the radio hosts
Complete agree on the Rush ideal.

Belcriss is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:05 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.