HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

12 Sites put in bids to host future Frozen Fours

Closed Thread

Old
04-13-2005, 12:41 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
12 Sites put in bids to host future Frozen Fours

The Xcel Energy Center and St. Pete Times Forum are among the sites that have put in bids to host a future Frozen Four either in 2009, 2010 or 2011, according to this USCHO article.

The next three Frozen Four sites are already set. They are (with host school/conference in parenthesis):

2006: Bradley Center, Milwaukee, WI (University of Wisconsin)

2007: Savvis Center, St. Louis, MO (College Hockey America [CHA])

2008: Pepsi Center, Denver, CO (University of Denver)

Old
04-13-2005, 01:29 PM
johnny cool

Send a message via AIM to johnny cool
i bet at least one of the florida sites gets it

Old
04-14-2005, 11:15 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

DC should never get it, same goes for Texas.

Ford Field would be AWESOME.

Philly would be a nice spot.

Say no to Florida.

Old
04-14-2005, 03:31 PM
futurcorerock

Send a message via AIM to futurcorerock
So what are the odds that Ohio State get it again?

Hopefully they do get it again, since i'd be a Grad Student by the time they did resurface, and maybe Ohio State could field a highly competitive team to enter into the frozen four.

Old
04-14-2005, 04:20 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

The field has been narrowed to six, according to this USCHO article.

Sorry futurecorerock, OSU didn't make the cut.

Old
04-14-2005, 07:49 PM
futurcorerock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers Chick
The field has been narrowed to six, according to this USCHO article.

Sorry futurecorerock, OSU didn't make the cut.
Ouch, wasn't the Frozen Four a general success at Ohio State this year?

Old
04-14-2005, 08:34 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by futurcorerock
Ouch, wasn't the Frozen Four a general success at Ohio State this year?
By most accounts, it was. But from what I understand, Value City Arena was not a sellout for the CC/DU game. Usually Frozen Four tix for ANY game are very, very hard to come by so this was somewhat of a surprise.

Old
04-15-2005, 01:05 AM
futurcorerock

Quote:
By most accounts, it was. But from what I understand, Value City Arena was not a sellout for the CC/DU game. Usually Frozen Four tix for ANY game are very, very hard to come by so this was somewhat of a surprise.
It was a tough draw, definitely. I think what might have hurt the Frozen Four most was the fact that it was all-WCHA. I know if any CCHA team were in the Frozen Four, i'd make a bigger effort to go. If I were East coast and atleast Cornell had made the cut, i'd be on a plane to the game in a heartbeat.

Old
04-16-2005, 02:23 AM
Rabid Husky

vCash: 539
I doubt Philly or Tampa would get it....and my top 3 in any order would be Detroit MN and DC

Old
04-16-2005, 07:32 AM
NCAA Hockey Fan

Quote:
The only 2 locations that tickets have been hard to come by for a Frozen Four lately are Boston and St Paul. In the last 10 years there have only been a handful of games where tickets were hard to get other than that tickets were going for nothing. The NCAA sells out the Frozen Four every year with their lottery so I doubt they care who shows up because they already made their money.

Old
04-16-2005, 08:49 AM
Jelloman

Sellout but....

Quote:

It was a sell-out, but a lot of the Minnesota and CC fans had already left - those were the areas most void of fans in the arena. I think the other issue is that the teams were all from a single conference. While it bodes well for a conference, it does not bode well for sell-outs and getting butts in seats.

The people who actually lost out were the ticket brokers. I saw one guy in the run-up to the games trying to sell 400 level seats on ebay for almost double the price I paid as a season ticket holder at the Schott.

Old
04-16-2005, 09:13 AM
kalehr

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoAO
DC should never get it, same goes for Texas.
I can see why you would say that for Texas, but why the animosity towards DC? The location is excellent, meaning Washington, DC is a great tourist destination regardless if the FF was held there, and the area around the MCI Center is ideally situated, with tons of hotels, restaurants, attractions, etc., within a short walking distance. The MCI Center is also a very nice venue for hockey, with good sight lines regardless of where you sit. IMHO, the only thing that would prevent a DC FF from being a success would be the lack of promotion by the local media.

Old
04-16-2005, 03:50 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalehr
I can see why you would say that for Texas, but why the animosity towards DC? The location is excellent, meaning Washington, DC is a great tourist destination regardless if the FF was held there, and the area around the MCI Center is ideally situated, with tons of hotels, restaurants, attractions, etc., within a short walking distance. The MCI Center is also a very nice venue for hockey, with good sight lines regardless of where you sit. IMHO, the only thing that would prevent a DC FF from being a success would be the lack of promotion by the local media.
It also could help in kicking Navy into D-1 hockey

Old
04-16-2005, 05:44 PM
BrooklynCanuck

Quote:
There would be absolutely no local interest. None.

I live in DC, and I can't see many locals paying to go to games.

Old
04-16-2005, 05:54 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCanuck

Sounds like the Caps

Old
04-16-2005, 06:54 PM
naihlflames

My Predictions:

2009: Top Choice Boston, back up Philly - Time to rotate it back to the Northeast.

2010: Detroit Ford Field - This site will break the frozen four attendance records, will be the year after the NCAA basketball final four is held there, and it will be turn again for a CCHA location.

2011: Top Choice: St. Paul - Another hockey hotbed. Only downfall is Wisconsin and Denver (both WCHA) had just recently hosted. Because of that, maybe it goes to a darkhorse and they try a game in Tampa/St. Pete.

Old
04-16-2005, 07:11 PM
futurcorerock

Quote:
A big part of what hurt Schottenstein Center this year was essentially there isn't much in terms of attractions nearby. A lot of campus-oriented stuff and a few restaurants on Neil Ave. but the real good stuff is on the East side or Downtown where the other, better arena is; Nationwide Arena.

Old
04-17-2005, 03:31 AM
Rabid Husky

Quote:

I honestly don't feel there would need to be. College hockey is such a regional sport anyways that it doesn't get attention outside of the cities its in...but the games would still be 90-95% full at least because of the fans of the 4 teams in it and just the fans of college hockey...trust me If I could afford it, I'd be there every year

Old
04-17-2005, 12:44 PM
kalehr

Quote:

Well, I've also lived in DC - just moved away three months ago after living there for nearly 5 years - and IF the game were properly promoted - which is something we don't see too often with the Caps - I do think the FF would be a success. I've had many conversations about Navy hosting the FF with my circle of hockey friends and acquaintences in the DC area, and nearly all of them would most likely go if the FF came to DC. And despite what many think, there is a pretty solid hockey fan base in the DC area. Granted, the fan base in the DC area is not that large, particularly compared to other parts of the country. But for an area that doesn't really have any D1 college hockey within an easy driving distance, there is still a solid fan base. Whomever would be in charge of promoting the event would just need to do their homework to reach out to the local fan base and make them aware of the FF. If they did that, I don't think the FF would have a difficult time selling tickets to the locals to this event. Besides, as Rabid Husky said, the FF draws plenty of fans from all over the college hockey world, especially from those schools whose teams are in the FF, so it isn't as though they would need to rely on the locals for a majority of their ticket sales.

Last edited by kalehr: 04-17-2005 at 02:10 PM.
Old
04-17-2005, 04:42 PM
Pavel

Quote:
Originally Posted by futurcorerock
A big part of what hurt Schottenstein Center this year was essentially there isn't much in terms of attractions nearby. A lot of campus-oriented stuff and a few restaurants on Neil Ave. but the real good stuff is on the East side or Downtown where the other, better arena is; Nationwide Arena.
When I first heard that the Frozen Four was going to Columbus I naturally assumed the games were going to be played at Nationwide. As nice as the Schottenstein Center appears to be from what I can figure Nationwide would have been better suited for this type of event with the arena district being nearby and all.

Old
04-17-2005, 10:02 PM
Rabid Husky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavel
When I first heard that the Frozen Four was going to Columbus I naturally assumed the games were going to be played at Nationwide. As nice as the Schottenstein Center appears to be from what I can figure Nationwide would have been better suited for this type of event with the arena district being nearby and all.

I did the same thing and was shocked when i heard it was on campus.....especially since OSU usually only puts about 6300 or so in a 17500 arena for its games. But that is where the bid went and it seemd to work well so...(not sure how to end that )

Closed Thread