HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011 EC Playoff Seeds

Old
08-19-2010, 10:47 PM
Flyerfan808

vCash: 500
2011 EC Playoff Seeds

Predictions, post'em if you got'em. Who wins our division and what will the playoff seeds look like?

2010-2011 Atlantic Division Standings:

Penguins
Flyers
Devils
Rangers
Islanders

2010-2011 EC Playoff Seeds:

Caps
Pens
Sabres
Flyers
Bruins
Devils
Habs/Sens
Bolts/Rags

Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2010, 10:52 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Division:
Flyers
Penguins
Devils
Rangers
Islanders

Playoffs:
Capitals
Flyers
Bruins
Penguins
Sabres
Devils
Canadiens
Rangers
---------
Senators
Lightning
Maple Leafs
Hurricanes
Thrashers
Islanders
Panthers

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2010, 11:42 PM
Garbage Goal

My best guess:

Division

Penguins
Flyers
Devils
Rangers
Islanders

If our goaltending "experiment" doesn't blow up in our faces then we could win the division. I think it will though so it's a toss-up between us and the Devils for 2nd place if that happens.

The Devils are hard to factor in here because, normally they're always a threat or a favorite for the division win, but they've rarely had this much competition within the division and some of their key players (Arnott, Langenbrunner, Brodeur, etc.) are pretty up there in age so I figure there has to be some considerable regression at some point.

Conference

Capitals
Bruins
Penguins
Flyers (really does depend on how our goalies go)
Devils
Senators
Sabres
Lighting
---
Rangers
Canadiens
Hurricanes
Thrashers
Leafs
Panthers
Islanders

As far as playoff teams go, our conference is really ****ing deep this year. It's hard to rank them.

There's a lot of question marks surrounding Jersey and Philly's standings so I'm not positive at all with my predictions for them. Especially, for the Devils, once you consider that Kovalchuk is still unsigned.

I think the Rangers have a pretty decent team this year, but they have the misfortune of finally becoming decent when the playoff teams are already way too deep for the Rangers to get in.

I think the Bruins are a damn good team and they'll surprise a few people. They're deep on defense, play good system defensively, have two top-quality starters, and their offense is improved with Horton and Seguin. I don't think they'll win the Cup, but I think they're a damn scary team personally.

The Leafs aren't as bad as some people like to believe, but the conference is just too deep this year for them to be a threat.

I think the Hurricanes have a good team too that would normally get into the playoffs during a weak playoff year.

I think Tampa has a very good team this year that should no longer be a pushover this season.

The Islanders don't really have any redeeming qualities. They have a 42 year-oldish starter (I don't even remember who their backup is) and they haven't made any splashes in free agency. The Panthers have some good young guys (Frolik), some good scorers (Booth, Weiss), and a top goalie (Vokoun). That alone is good enough to keep them from being the worst in the conference.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 12:01 AM
King Forsberg
16 21 28 44 68 88 93

vCash: 200
Really tough to say.

Atlantic Division
1. Devils
2. Flyers
3. Penguins
4. Rangers
5. Islanders

Eastern Confrence
1. Capitals
2. Devils
3. Bruins
4. Flyers
5. Penguins
6. Sabres
7. Rangers
8. Canadiens
-----------------------
9. Senators
10. Lightining
11. Thrashers
12. Maple Leafs
13. Hurricanes
14. Islanders
15. Panthers

Its honestly too close to call with most of the seeding. The teams I have in I think will make the playoffs but the order is not in stone.

King Forsberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 01:23 AM
Amateur Hour

Atlantic:

Penguins
Flyers
Devils
Rangers
Islanders

Northeast:

Bruins
Sabres
Canadiens
Senators
Maple Leafs

Southeast:

Capitals
Lightning
Thrashers
Hurricanes
Panthers

Playoff seeds:

1. Capitals
2. Bruins
3. Penguins
4. Sabres
5. Flyers
6. Devils
7. Lightning
8. Senators
9. Canadiens
10. Rangers
11. Thrashers
12. Maple Leafs
13. Islanders
14. Hurricanes
15. Panthers

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 02:29 AM
GirouxCouturier
GirouxMVP

This might be a bit random but what do i have to do to be able to post threads and proposals and stuff?

GirouxCouturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 05:32 AM
Flyerfan808

The Atlantic is going to be a very tough division this year. Probably the toughest in the NHL. I think 1,2,3 respectively will be separated by no more than 3 points.

Boston could very easily take the top seed in the Northeast. Sabres will be right on their ***** and whoever stays healthier could end up winning the Div. I give it to Buffalo with a VERY slim margin.

Southeast is the easiest thing to predict. Washington is light years ahead of everyone else in the division. I think that Tampa is a snake in the grass they will rack up points and they're going to be an exciting team to watch.

I think the Flyers will lose the division to Pittsburgh simply because of failure to convert shootouts into 3 point games... On the brightside, seeing Michael Leighton in shootouts full-time will probably spawn some youtube gems of the "deked out of your jockstrap" variety. Flyers should take 4th seed and get home ice for one round.

Old
08-20-2010, 09:59 AM
Kaktus*

Devils
Flyers/Pittsburgh
Rangers
NYI

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 10:11 AM
IrishSniper87

Atlantic
Penguins
Flyers
Devils
Rangers
Islanders

Northeast
Bruins
Sabres
Canadiens
Senators
Maple Leafs

Southeast
Capitals
Lightning
Thrashers
Hurricanes
Panthers

Playoff seeds
1. Capitals (regular season team that will FEAST on their division)
2. Penguins (if Crosby and Malkin stay healthy, they are just two strong)
3. Bruins (Chara and Savard keep them on top of a weak division)
4. Flyers (Shelley puts up 100 goals and becomes our top line, by himself)
5. Sabres (Miller!)
6. Devils (if they get Kovalchuk, could beat us in the standings)
7. Lightning (strong moves made by Yzerman will pay off)
8. Canadiens (Price keeps them in the hunt)
9. Rangers (King Henrik can't make up for their awful GM)
10. Senators (goalie = lulz)
11. Thrashers (mini Hawks show improvement, but still suck)
12. Panthers (Vokoun leads them all the way to 12th, since one man can do it all)
13. Hurricanes (rebuilding year)
14. Islanders (rofl)
15. Maple Leafs (double rofl)

Last edited by IrishSniper87: 08-20-2010 at 10:16 AM.
IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 10:37 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Caps
Sabres
Flyers
Pens
Bruins
Tampa Bay
Ottawa
Atlanta

No NJ because I think without Kovalchuk they won't be able to hang in the division, and with him, they will have to shed too much to make it. Atlanta is a sleeper IMO.

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 10:52 AM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Atlantic
Devils
Flyers
Penguins
Rangers
Islanders

Southeast
Capitals
Lightning
Hurricanes
Thrashers
Panthers

Northeast
Bruins
Senators
Sabres
Canadiens
Leafs

Conference

1) Capitals - least competitive division, most 'free' points
2) Devils - assuming Kovalchuk signs, they're good from top to bottom
3) Bruins - well rounded and addition of Horton helps
4) Flyers - starting the first round on home ice? we'll see, I guess
5) Senators - shock seeding, especially considering who's below
6) Penguins - it's tough to see a team with Crosby and Malking this low, but anything's possible
7) Lightning - like the direction and the moves they made in the off-season... some moves obviously at the expense of the Flyers
8) Sabres - Miller will not keep the pace he sustained last season

9) Canadiens
10) Rangers
11) Hurricanes
12) Thrashers
13) Rangers
14) Islanders
15) Leafs

*swap the Flyers and Pens for a prediction seen through something other than orange tinted glasses*

Last edited by CanadianFlyer88: 08-20-2010 at 11:02 AM.
CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 10:53 AM
Morinisbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Caps
Sabres
Flyers
Pens
Bruins
Tampa Bay
Ottawa
Atlanta

No NJ because I think without Kovalchuk they won't be able to hang in the division, and with him, they will have to shed too much to make it. Atlanta is a sleeper IMO.
Exactly my thinking, but I think the Habs replace Tampa as they are just squeaked out by Atlanta.

Morinisbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 10:56 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieHexBergEry View Post
Exactly my thinking, but I think the Habs replace Tampa as they are just squeaked out by Atlanta.
I could see that, but I had to give the nod to Lightning because that French Connection line (if they decide to run with it) could be scary.

Old
08-20-2010, 11:38 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Caps
Sabres
Flyers
Pens
Bruins
Tampa Bay
Ottawa
Atlanta

You do know that they added Arnott, right? Not to mention added few d-men while losing only Martin who played 22 games for them last season.. Means, NJ can play with out Martin. With or with out Kovalchuk NJ is a solid playoff team. Now they may or may not do a lot in playoffs but they will get there for sure.

Hedberg also decent NHL back up.

By the way Kovalchuk will sign with NJ. It's just a matter of time and contract.

Last edited by Kaktus*: 08-20-2010 at 12:25 PM.
Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 12:11 PM
Garbage Goal

I gotta say, I think there's some wacky predictions in here.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 12:25 PM
Sundevil9

In the 'new NHL' I'm hesitant to put together any real predictions or expectations.

There's just not that much that really separates the middle 10 teams in the Conference. Heck even Washington isn't that much of a lock (going with young goalies).

Pretty much the only thing you can lock up right now is that the Isles will be at the bottom (or near it).

Sundevil9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 05:54 PM
Flyerfan808

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundevil9 View Post
In the 'new NHL' I'm hesitant to put together any real predictions or expectations.

There's just not that much that really separates the middle 10 teams in the Conference. Heck even Washington isn't that much of a lock (going with young goalies).

Pretty much the only thing you can lock up right now is that the Isles will be at the bottom (or near it).
This is why it has "Speculation" in the title.

I am curious to see how your playoff picture looks?

Old
08-20-2010, 07:14 PM
Sundevil9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan808 View Post
This is why it has "Speculation" in the title.

I am curious to see how your playoff picture looks?

That's my point. I know it's the offseason and you're just looking for idle chatter. But the reality of the NHL now is that there are wild swings from year to year (look at the last handful of Flyers seasons for example).

Or even last year, the Flyers and Bruins were supposed to challenge the Caps as best in the East, but injuries and other things led the Flyers and Bruins to scrape and claw their way into the playoffs.

This would be a great thread heading into Christmas and the New Year, but with no on ice-product to see, it's way too early to try and pull seedings out of thin air.

Sundevil9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 08:20 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
You do know that they added Arnott, right? Not to mention added few d-men while losing only Martin who played 22 games for them last season.. Means, NJ can play with out Martin. With or with out Kovalchuk NJ is a solid playoff team. Now they may or may not do a lot in playoffs but they will get there for sure.

Hedberg also decent NHL back up.

By the way Kovalchuk will sign with NJ. It's just a matter of time and contract.
Yeah but depending on how much they get Kovalchuk for, they are going to lose other players. Everything I have read suggests that Zubrus may be on his way out if Kovalchuk comes in and depending on what they pay for Kovy they will probably have to lose more than that. Arnott is a solid player, but dude's getting up there in years, he'll put in 20 goals if he is lucky. The Devils may have multiple lines with players not quite ready for the NHL or old washed up vets. The signing of Volchenkov was an awesome move, but their third pairing is going to be worse than the Flyers last season. I wouldn't be shocked if the Devils made the playoffs. The Devils do always find a way to make it and it usually involves winning the division. Haha. I just think that the Devils may be in trouble this year. You can never count Marty Brodeur out but he is another guy who is getting old and has to slow down some time. This could be that year. Like I said, come playoff time, it wouldn't surprise me to see NJ on the top of that list, but I think they're gonna miss the playoffs. Maybe be the 9 or 10 team. We'll see.

Old
08-21-2010, 01:45 AM
Amateur Hour

The more I think about it, the more I'm inclined to flip-flop the Flyers and Devils, thus giving NJ the 5 seed and us the 6 seed.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2010, 11:56 AM
Janssen25

Quote:
Caps
Sabres
Flyers
Pens
Bruins
Tampa Bay
Ottawa
Atlanta

Quote:
but I think they're gonna miss the playoffs. Maybe be the 9 or 10 team. We'll see.
This is a joke right? They've made the playoffs 13 years in a row, 16 of the last 17 years as well.

Assuming they sign Kovalchuk they will have the most talented roster they've put on the ice in almost a decade and you have them missing the playoffs?

Janssen25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2010, 12:57 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janssen25 View Post
This is a joke right? They've made the playoffs 13 years in a row, 16 of the last 17 years as well.

Assuming they sign Kovalchuk they will have the most talented roster they've put on the ice in almost a decade and you have them missing the playoffs?
Yeah but who will they lose if they get Kovalchuk? If it turns out they don't have to lose too much to sign Kovalchuk, then they'll be a playoff team. Read my above post. I said I wouldn't be surprised if they made the playoffs because they are the Devils and always find a way, but I just don't see them making it with such a rough projected third pairing on defense (Salmela-Greene) which may be different if they lose Salvador to sign Kovalchuk. And who is on the third and fourth lines? I may be wrong but If Kovalchuk comes in they will have to lose some people and will have to fill the roster with rookies and no-namers, wouldn't they? They might have a really great top two lines and top defensive pair, but the rest of the team is not all that impressive. If I'm wrong about the lines (which is more than possible because I am wrong all the time) let me know because I am interested in what their lineup will look like with or without Kovalchuk.

Old
08-22-2010, 12:37 AM
Richyrich

Division

Pens
Flyers
NJ
Rags
Isles

Conference
Caps
Pens
Bruins
Flyers
Debbies
Tampa
Sens
Canadiens

I really expect tampa to have a very good sleeper team next year (I miss gagne)

Richyrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 08:50 AM
Janssen25

Quote:
Yeah but who will they lose if they get Kovalchuk? If it turns out they don't have to lose too much to sign Kovalchuk, then they'll be a playoff team. Read my above post. I said I wouldn't be surprised if they made the playoffs because they are the Devils and always find a way, but I just don't see them making it with such a rough projected third pairing on defense (Salmela-Greene) which may be different if they lose Salvador to sign Kovalchuk. And who is on the third and fourth lines? I may be wrong but If Kovalchuk comes in they will have to lose some people and will have to fill the roster with rookies and no-namers, wouldn't they? They might have a really great top two lines and top defensive pair, but the rest of the team is not all that impressive. If I'm wrong about the lines (which is more than possible because I am wrong all the time) let me know because I am interested in what their lineup will look like with or without Kovalchuk.
If they move Zubrus, they'll plug in Jacob Josefson who was a 1st round pick who is a top tier prospect who is NHL ready. If they move a wing like Rolston or Langs then they'll plug in Mattias Tedenby, another 1st round pick who also is NHL ready.

Also, the Devils are better on D then they were last year. Andy Greene who you speak of had 37 points last year and was a +9. They lost Martin then added two big guys in Volchenkov and Tallinder.

The Devils finished 2nd in the East last year and have improved their roster, but you feel all of a sudden they will not make the playoffs. That's completely ludicrous.

Janssen25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 08:55 AM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Yeah but depending on how much they get Kovalchuk for, they are going to lose other players. Everything I have read suggests that Zubrus may be on his way out if Kovalchuk comes in and depending on what they pay for Kovy they will probably have to lose more than that. Arnott is a solid player, but dude's getting up there in years, he'll put in 20 goals if he is lucky. The Devils may have multiple lines with players not quite ready for the NHL or old washed up vets. The signing of Volchenkov was an awesome move, but their third pairing is going to be worse than the Flyers last season. I wouldn't be shocked if the Devils made the playoffs. The Devils do always find a way to make it and it usually involves winning the division. Haha. I just think that the Devils may be in trouble this year. You can never count Marty Brodeur out but he is another guy who is getting old and has to slow down some time. This could be that year. Like I said, come playoff time, it wouldn't surprise me to see NJ on the top of that list, but I think they're gonna miss the playoffs. Maybe be the 9 or 10 team. We'll see.
Yeah man, I don't agree with you at all.

Devils, Flyers and Pens all make the playoffs this year.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote